Waterloo 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb1993

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I figured I would start a 2015 thread because I am really excited about the upcoming year and thought maybe some of you applying to UW would also be excited! Get to know people and see what other applicants are like!
As in previous years, it would probably be best to outline your stats as follows:
Current Education level: (3rd yr, 4th year, PhD, Masters, working?)
OAT score: (TS / AA)
GPA: ( out of 4.0 )
Optometry Experience: (volunteer length and with how many optometrists)
EC: volunteering , awards,

my stats are:
Current education: entering 4th year in biology
OAT: 350TS/350AA
GPA : 3.70 (out of 4.00 scale)
Experience: volunteering/job shadow optometrist once a week for a semester
EC: lots of intramural sports, working 2 part time jobs, volunteering at a hockey camp, some research experience in a lab

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, nice of you to start the thread.
Current Education : entering 4th year Kine BSc
OAT: 400TS/370AA
GPA: 3.70
Experience: Volunteered with 2 optometrists about 60ish hours total. Worked for a few months at an optical as an assistant.
EC: Soccer coach, working, volunteer research assistant in a neuroimaging and vision science lab, camp teacher, an event organizer for a charity, CNIB ambassador etc.

Last edited:
Hi :)

Current Education: Entering 4th year Biology BSc
OAT: 350 TS/340 AA
GPA: 3.70
Experience: Worked at an optometry clinic for a couple months and shadowed in between
EC: Work in plant research for a term and eye/lens related research centre for couple years, volunteer for reading to kids and teaching kids about science with experiments, mission trips abroad, planning to do senior thesis project

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this problem, but I completed the first application on OUAC for Waterloo's optometry program and still hasn't heard anything from them in more than 2 weeks. I'm pretty worried at this point. I emailed them and got no response, and no one picks up the phone. Am I the only one?

Hey!

I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this problem, but I completed the first application on OUAC for Waterloo's optometry program and still hasn't heard anything from them in more than 2 weeks. I'm pretty worried at this point. I emailed them and got no response, and no one picks up the phone. Am I the only one?

I haven't received any reply either and I sent in my application in the beginning of July.
I'm sure they're on it :)

Hey,

I actually just wrote the OAT and I may be applying to Waterloo. So is that 300 or higher rule set in stone? I kind of did really well on everything but RC... Check out my scores:

Quantitative Reasoning: 390
RC: 270...
Biology: 370
Gen Chem: 380
Orgo: 360
Physics: 370
TS: 380
AA: 360

Is it really worth rewriting in a case like this? I have really good extracurricular & job shadowing (few hundred hrs) & been a lab technician at a Lens Crafters for 3yrs, 3.8 GPA Bsc Biology. I feel like I'm in a really awkward position with that reading comp score... Thoughts?

Hey,

I actually just wrote the OAT and I may be applying to Waterloo. So is that 300 or higher rule set in stone? I kind of did really well on everything but RC... Check out my scores:

Is it really worth rewriting in a case like this? I have really good extracurricular & job shadowing (few hundred hrs) & been a lab technician at a Lens Crafters for 3yrs, 3.8 GPA Bsc Biology. I feel like I'm in a really awkward position with that reading comp score... Thoughts?

well thats a really good score for TS and AA so I think you will be okay... you have to wait 3 months anyways to rewrite it and by that time the applications will be due so you should still apply!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

yeah bud you have a great OAT score, GPA and great EC's might as well apply. I would be surprised if they let that 270 in RC bring you down too much. Give them a call if you can but I would apply for sure.

Thanks for the input guys. I already paid for my application (just waiting to get it in the mail, which is taking unnaturally long) and I wont be throwing it in the garbage, or recycling it. Kind of a crazy score though, I definitely think can read & comprehend what I'm reading... Although, panic isn't the greatest feeling haha

Hey!

I too have not recieved an email about the application :S

Hey guys, I e-mailed them today and they said that they'll e-mail information out by next week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I was putting out my OUAC application today and just wondering how many years you guys put for # of years in canadian school system.

Back then I put 17. (2 for JK/SK, 12 for grade school, 3 for uni)

I got the e-mail regarding application information today

Hi,

Current Education level: entering 4th year of biomedical science
OAT score: 360 TS / 350 AA
GPA: Not actually sure how to do it; my average is about 84, however.
Optometry Experience: going to shadow my optometrist this August
EC: worked for a non-profit organization for the past 2 summers, volunteered at the same organization this summer and at a store on campus, TA

I want to ask you guys if I should ask my supervisor from the organization or the lab instructor for whom I TA'ed. In terms of how long they knew me, it has been approximately 6 and 8 months, respectively. I feel like my supervisor knows me better since it was a full-time job, so I was around her constantly, whereas I only talked with the lab instructor during the lab and sometimes outside of the lab. Although my supervisor is the better option since she knows me better (plus, her son wants to do optometry too, so she would see how the form looks like :p), I'm not sure if the lab instructor is better. :( What are your guys' opinions?

Also, would TA training be considered "Special Training"? I'm not sure if I should include that on the AIF.

Lastly, when we registered for the OAT, we chose 5 schools that will receive our scores. I just want some clarification on whether ASCO will send our scores to Waterloo, or if we have to do it ourselves.

Thanks for your input/help and good luck to all applicants!

ASCO will send scores to Waterloo automatically. However, it is always best to follow up by asking/emailing if they have received it yet just in case.

Hi, I've TA-ed multiple times before as well and I put it down as Special Training :)
And also, anyone who knows you on a more personal level would write you a more personalized letter (that what I think)

Hi,

Current Education level: entering 4th year of biomedical science
OAT score: 360 TS / 350 AA
GPA: Not actually sure how to do it; my average is about 84, however.
Optometry Experience: going to shadow my optometrist this August
EC: worked for a non-profit organization for the past 2 summers, volunteered at the same organization this summer and at a store on campus, TA

I want to ask you guys if I should ask my supervisor from the organization or the lab instructor for whom I TA'ed. In terms of how long they knew me, it has been approximately 6 and 8 months, respectively. I feel like my supervisor knows me better since it was a full-time job, so I was around her constantly, whereas I only talked with the lab instructor during the lab and sometimes outside of the lab. Although my supervisor is the better option since she knows me better (plus, her son wants to do optometry too, so she would see how the form looks like :p), I'm not sure if the lab instructor is better. :( What are your guys' opinions?

Also, would TA training be considered "Special Training"? I'm not sure if I should include that on the AIF.

Lastly, when we registered for the OAT, we chose 5 schools that will receive our scores. I just want some clarification on whether ASCO will send our scores to Waterloo, or if we have to do it ourselves.

Thanks for your input/help and good luck to all applicants!

Thanks, bscod & OptomStudent2018! :)

Do I have to resubmit my OAT score if I applied last year or will they have my OAT score on file and thus would not need to resubmit it? Thanks in advance

This might be a dumb question but I just wanted to confirm,

For the AIF, when it comes down to awards its says "Non-academic Awards/Honours of Distinction certificates from high school and onwards " does that mean I can include awards from highchool?

Thanks.

This might be a dumb question but I just wanted to confirm,

For the AIF, when it comes down to awards its says "Non-academic Awards/Honours of Distinction certificates from high school and onwards " does that mean I can include awards from highchool?

Thanks.
Yes you include highschool things

Hello All,

I'm a bit late to the game, only firmly decided this summer that I wanted to apply for Optometry. Just took the OAT today!

Current Education level: Going into 3rd year of Science, but first year Pharmacy
OAT score: (400/390)
GPA: Like Poopsir I'm not sure, but average is ~85
Optometry Experience: None...
EC: Volunteering at BC Children's Hospital, CBS, and a Pharmacy, and working as a Pharmacy Assistant and tutor.

Just wondering what you guys know about the importance of experience in Optometry. Is that something they take into heavy consideration? I'm planning on asking my optometrist if I can shadow him for a few months, hoping to get ~30-40 hours with him.

Hi chaaitea!

Waterloo definitely takes optometry experience into heavy consideration - in fact it is required that you have at least some optometry shadowing (I think I read somewhere at least 8 hours, but I can't recall where I read this). 30-40 hours is a good goal - ask your optometrist, and if he/she refuses, keep asking around :)

PS - that's a sick OAT score!!

Do I have to resubmit my OAT score if I applied last year or will they have my OAT score on file and thus would not need to resubmit it? Thanks in advance

I think you have to resubmit it - but phone/email UW just to be sure

Hello All,

I'm a bit late to the game, only firmly decided this summer that I wanted to apply for Optometry. Just took the OAT today!

Current Education level: Going into 3rd year of Science, but first year Pharmacy
OAT score: (400/390)
GPA: Like Poopsir I'm not sure, but average is ~85
Optometry Experience: None...
EC: Volunteering at BC Children's Hospital, CBS, and a Pharmacy, and working as a Pharmacy Assistant and tutor.

Just wondering what you guys know about the importance of experience in Optometry. Is that something they take into heavy consideration? I'm planning on asking my optometrist if I can shadow him for a few months, hoping to get ~30-40 hours with him.

It is a must have! If you cannot, try shadowing when your friends/relatives go for eye exams given you have the patient and the doctor's permission. Also, of two CAF forms, one MUST be done by an optometrist and the only way is to get to know an optometrist via shadowing.

Your marks and OAT is terrific but why not stay in pharmacy?

It is a must have! If you cannot, try shadowing when your friends/relatives go for eye exams given you have the patient and the doctor's permission. Also, of two CAF forms, one MUST be done by an optometrist and the only way is to get to know an optometrist via shadowing.

Your marks and OAT is terrific but why not stay in pharmacy?

Thanks for that info! I wanted a backup before I went for optometry cause it'll be tough to get into Waterloo. Also, I'm a little worried about Pharmacy as a career in the future...I'm working at one now and can probably get a job there once I graduate, but it'll be as a floater. And with the healthcare cuts, Pharmacists aren't going to be getting as many hours. What's your opinion on the future of optometry?

I have no idea as I was in your shoes a year ago but my understanding is 100% employment within 6 months of graduating. Thinking about it, there is only two schools in all of Canada that offer the O.D program and I would think under 150 optometrists (90 from Waterloo + no clue how many Montreal takes in) are produced a year. Good chance of employment and good chance that the demand is still present I would like to think. (Rumor has it University of Calgary is considering to open an optometry school)

Pharmacy should be easy. I mean work part-time here and there until you solidify your position. Optometry is similar to that where I live. Optometrists work part-time at a few clinics so in a way, we also "float" around. But remember the traits needed for pharmacy and optometry differ. I think choose which one most suits you. For me, I am a chemistry major and have pulled high 90's in all my undergrad career in chemistry but decided to pursue optometry. My thought was that a job as a pharmacist makes me feel isolated as in I cannot really help patients or diagnose diseases, only follow prescriptions whereas an optometrist can counsel and somewhat prescribe (relatively recent). But don't let my reasoning sway your future.

How do we check the status of our optometry applications?

How do we check the status of our optometry applications?
when you sign into your Quest account, click on admissions and then optometry. Then click on the application and it'll tell you the status. However Waterloo does not do rolling admissions so there wont be any application status updates

Hi! Sorry for asking but I just want to make sure, there's no essay required for Waterloo's application?

Does anyone know how the admissions feels about a chemistry minor or psychology minor...?

Does anyone know how to write repeated courses on the application? For example, if I took a pre-req course twice, how would I put that in the pre-req course area?
Thanks.

Does anyone know how to write repeated courses on the application? For example, if I took a pre-req course twice, how would I put that in the pre-req course area?
Thanks.
I would probably just put the best mark that you got in the prereq class...they'll see on your transcript that you took it twice

I would probably just put the best mark that you got in the prereq class...they'll see on your transcript that you took it twice

You're supposed to take the average of them because they take all courses into consideration, even repeated ones. It answers this on the frequently asked questions link on the waterloo optometry page.

Does anyone know how the admissions feels about a chemistry minor or psychology minor...?

They do not look at your major/minor. They only care about your completion of pre-reqs and that it is science related. If it makes you feel better, there are several chemistry and psychology majors in the class of 2018.

We just have to make sure the pre-reqs like ethics, microbiology etc are completed by May 2015 correct?

when you sign into your Quest account, click on admissions and then optometry. Then click on the application and it'll tell you the status. However Waterloo does not do rolling admissions so there wont be any application status updates[/QUOTE]

+1
Rolling admissions are rare or don't exist in Canada.

Hi chaaitea!

Waterloo definitely takes optometry experience into heavy consideration - in fact it is required that you have at least some optometry shadowing (I think I read somewhere at least 8 hours, but I can't recall where I read this). 30-40 hours is a good goal - ask your optometrist, and if he/she refuses, keep asking around :)

PS - that's a sick OAT score!!

Are you sure? It seems that shadowing a doctor in Canada is difficult to achieve, unlike in the US.

I have no idea as I was in your shoes a year ago but my understanding is 100% employment within 6 months of graduating. Thinking about it, there is only two schools in all of Canada that offer the O.D program and I would think under 150 optometrists (90 from Waterloo + no clue how many Montreal takes in) are produced a year. Good chance of employment and good chance that the demand is still present I would like to think. (Rumor has it University of Calgary is considering to open an optometry school)

Pharmacy should be easy. I mean work part-time here and there until you solidify your position. Optometry is similar to that where I live. Optometrists work part-time at a few clinics so in a way, we also "float" around. But remember the traits needed for pharmacy and optometry differ. I think choose which one most suits you. For me, I am a chemistry major and have pulled high 90's in all my undergrad career in chemistry but decided to pursue optometry. My thought was that a job as a pharmacist makes me feel isolated as in I cannot really help patients or diagnose diseases, only follow prescriptions whereas an optometrist can counsel and somewhat prescribe (relatively recent). But don't let my reasoning sway your future.

Montreal takes 45 I think.

Are you sure? It seems that shadowing a doctor in Canada is difficult to achieve, unlike in the US.

It is a hundred times better if you drop by and ask the optometrist in person rather than emailing or calling. Remember to mention that you only want to shadow and not apply for a volunteer position or a job and that you do not want a reference letter. Most assume that you want either one of the mentioned and to them, it is an extra chore. Learned this through experience. But typically, the family optometrist will gladly help you out.

Hey guys just had a question about the academic record thing on quest, are you inputting all the courses you are currently enrolled in or just the fall semester courses you are enrolled in.

I also have the same question as kvkamra.

Also, for the high school transcript, did you guys upload the sheets you got after each semester, or did you ask your high school for a transcript? Lastly, has anyone sent extra files to the school because their files exceeded the size capacity?

Thanks for your help.

Also, for the high school transcript, did you guys upload the sheets you got after each semester, or did you ask your high school for a transcript? Lastly, has anyone sent extra files to the school because their files exceeded the size capacity?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think UW OD cares about HS grades. That would be odd for a second-entry program.

Hey guys just had a question about the academic record thing on quest, are you inputting all the courses you are currently enrolled in or just the fall semester courses you are enrolled in.

I just put fall courses as IP and I assume the winter courses will be shown on transcripts as pre-enrolled status?

Thanks for your help.

Definitely don't need high school transcripts. I don't know why that's on the Documents list