Waterloo 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Does anyone know if Waterloo already started giving out interview invitations yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I also have the same question as kvkamra.

Also, for the high school transcript, did you guys upload the sheets you got after each semester, or did you ask your high school for a transcript? Lastly, has anyone sent extra files to the school because their files exceeded the size capacity?

Thanks for your help.

I just ended up reducing my pdf file size using a pdf compressor. The size went from like 7.5mb to 1.2mb

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Does anyone know if Waterloo already started giving out interview invitations yet?

I think they start after receiving everyone's applications in October.. I would expect the invitations would be given out near the end of November though

I think they start after receiving everyone's applications in October.. I would expect the invitations would be given out near the end of November though
Ok thanks! I was just wondering if submitting the AIF/application earlier had any advantages because on the site they encouraged people to apply early so I wasn't sure.

I just ended up reducing my pdf file size using a pdf compressor. The size went from like 7.5mb to 1.2mb
Hey kvkamra which PDF compressor did you use if you don't mind sharing

Ok thanks! I was just wondering if submitting the AIF/application earlier had any advantages because on the site they encouraged people to apply early so I wasn't sure.

The advantage I see is that your references will get their reference forms earlier, because they'd only receive the form a couple days after you submit it

did you guys do a substantial amount of writing in the free spaces given?

just for a FYI:

Last year's interview email was sent @ 2013-11-29 4:07 PM

Acceptance email was sent @ Tue 2014-03-18 1:28 PM

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys hope your applications are going well. Just had a question regarding the " Test Summary" section when you click on application in quest. Is it supposed to be blank?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys hope your applications are going well. Just had a question regarding the " Test Summary" section when you click on application in quest. Is it supposed to be blank?
No, this should have your test score for the OAT under this section

Hey guys, just a few questions...

Can AP Biology fulfill the Introductory to Biology with Lab prerequisite?

How many credits do I indicate for AP courses?

Do you release OAT scores or how do you send them it?

Thanks and good luck with the applications - only 18 more days!

For anyone who put Teaching Assistant under Special Training, what did you use to upload proof? Thanks

For anyone who put Teaching Assistant under Special Training, what did you use to upload proof? Thanks

I had my professors write a brief statement proving that I was a TA for that course/term and sign it.

Does it matter if you don't have the proof for the awards any more? If you don't upload a proof, does that mean they ignore your award?

Does it matter if you don't have the proof for the awards any more? If you don't upload a proof, does that mean they ignore your award?
Hey, they won't ignore it, and it shouldn't be too big of a deal if you do not have proof

Hey Everyone,

Will Waterloo email you about an interview or do I constantly have to check Quest?

Hi guy,
for the AIF descriptions of experience did you breifly list your duties or try to explain what you learned as well

Hey does anyone know details about the confidential assessment form? Like when do they send it to the references and what the form asks for? My references want to know more details about it before they commit to being my reference. Thanks guys.

hmmm has anyone emailed/called J. Pocock the admissions offer like 3921839021839021 times with no response? :/

Hi guy,
for the AIF descriptions of experience did you breifly list your duties or try to explain what you learned as well
you just list your duties

Hey does anyone know details about the confidential assessment form? Like when do they send it to the references and what the form asks for? My references want to know more details about it before they commit to being my reference. Thanks guys.

I'm not sure but I reckon it just be a free-for-all writing thing.

hmmm has anyone emailed/called J. Pocock the admissions offer like 3921839021839021 times with no response? :/

Ha, I had this problem last year too. The best time to call them is in the mornings (ie at like 9 am!)

Not sure which form you are interested in, but for the optometrist ref letter, this is what the instructions were for last year (assuming it hasn't changed for this year):

In Section B please provide a reference letter that comments on industry/ initiative/motivation, knowledge/interest in profession, reliability and their ability to communicate with patients, staff and other doctors. Please identify any known weakness of the candidate.
(Section A just asks for things like address, etc and if the applicant would make a good optometrist, and Section C asks the optometrist to rate the applicant on a scale of 1-10).

For the character reference letter:
In Section B please provide a reference letter that comments on traits such as industry/initiative/motivation, motivation, integrity, reliability, ability to communicate, capacity for leadership and emotional maturity. Please identify any known weakness of the candidate.
(section A and C are the same as for optometrist ref letter)

Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Applications were due last week!!! now we just have to wait!

How long did it take for people's quest to update on receiving the reference forms? My optometrist completed it 3 business days ago, and it still hasn't said that it's been received.

Thanks!

How long did it take for people's quest to update on receiving the reference forms? My optometrist completed it 3 business days ago, and it still hasn't said that it's been received.

Thanks!
Usually takes about 2-3 days so I guess check tomorrow ?

Current Education level: Graduated with BSc. in Honours Science from UW, with Dean's Honour's List
OAT score: TS 400/AA 370
GPA: Around 3.7? Not sure. But my average is around 81-82%
Optometry Experience: I've shadowed with two optometrists. First one for about 100 hours, second for only about 5 hours. Got to use a light microscope to observe into a few patient's eyes.
EC: A ton of research experience in UW School of Pharmacy from NSERC. Also doing research with Grand River Hospital as a full time job for one year. Worked in a pharmacy for a few years full time as well. Got the chance to shadow in the ICU with doctors for a month. And I was captain for a bunch of intramural soccer seasons, and some other volunteering things around my school (iGEM, food bank, orientation week) .

Any thoughts on how competitive my application is?

Last edited:
anyone here about interviews?

Not yet. Should be by the end of the month.

Haven't posted my stats yet here, so:

Current Education level: Graduated with BSc. Biology (4 yrs), currently on a break
OAT score: TS 380/AA 360 (RC = 270)
GPA: 86.5%
Optometry Experience: Shadowed one optometrist for >40 hrs and I've been working as a Certified Lab Technician through Lens Crafters for 3 years.
EC: Lab Tech, Paeds @ Hospital for 2 years, Biology student council rep for 1 year, Church youth Group for many years and many other small things.

Thoughts?

Current Education level: Graduated with BSc. in Honours Science from UW, with Dean's Honour's List
OAT score: TS 400/AA 370
GPA: Around 3.7? Not sure. But my average is around 81-82%
Optometry Experience: I've shadowed with two optometrists. First one for about 100 hours, second for only about 5 hours. Got to use a light microscope to observe into a few patient's eyes.
EC: A ton of research experience in UW School of Pharmacy from NSERC. Also doing research with Grand River Hospital as a full time job for one year. Worked in a pharmacy for a few years full time as well. Got the chance to shadow in the ICU with doctors for a month. And I was captain for a bunch of intramural soccer seasons, and some other volunteering things around my school (iGEM, food bank, orientation week) .

Any thoughts on how competitive my application is?

Extremely competitive, despite the GPA

Not yet. Should be by the end of the month.

Haven't posted my stats yet here, so:

Current Education level: Graduated with BSc. Biology (4 yrs), currently on a break
OAT score: TS 380/AA 360 (RC = 270)
GPA: 86.5%
Optometry Experience: Shadowed one optometrist for >40 hrs and I've been working as a Certified Lab Technician through Lens Crafters for 3 years.
EC: Lab Tech, Paeds @ Hospital for 2 years, Biology student council rep for 1 year, Church youth Group for many years and many other small things.

Thoughts?

Thanks. I think you are equally competitive as well.

BTW, are we putting the pre-req course GPA or overall GPA?

I think overall GPA as that is what matters for UW

anyone heard back for an interview?

lmfaoooo ^^^

they are taking their sweet time...

I'm still waiting on them to confirm receiving one of my referee's submission from last Friday. Anyone else with the delay?

On the website it clearly states that December 1st is when interview invites are given out....

no it doesn't, thats the LAST day they are given out, you can hear back before then

no it doesn't, thats the LAST day they are given out, you can hear back before then
Note that the deadline for CAFs is November 28, and since Waterloo doesn't do rolling admissions, interview invites are presumably given out from November 28/29 to December 1.

precisely, so people will begin to hear back probably early the 29th, 30th, and 1st!

Also good luck everyone !!!

Reactions: 1 users
I guess when they say "before the end of November" they actually mean "very start of December"

I have a feeling we are going to get them Monday because quest is closed until Monday 830 am.