Waterloo 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! I also applied, and am waiting to hear about the interview. Here are my stats:

Current Education level:
Currently in my 3rd year of Microbiology at UBCO
OAT score: TS 400/AA 380 (RC = 400)
GPA: 86.9%
Optometry Experience: Shadowed 4 different optometrist for >120 hrs
EC: Volunteering at hospitals and for various charities, private tutor, apart of Microbio course union, on the intramural basketball team etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I also applied, and am waiting to hear about the interview. Here are my stats:

Current Education level:
Currently in my 3rd year of Microbiology at UBCO
OAT score: TS 400/AA 380 (RC = 400)
GPA: 86.9%
Optometry Experience: Shadowed 4 different optometrist for >120 hrs
EC: Volunteering at hospitals and for various charities, private tutor, apart of Microbio course union, on the intramural basketball team etc.

Yeah, these are amazing stats! It'll be a competitive years. Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Do you know if all interviews conducted are on campus at Waterloo? I read something about external interviews. I wasn't sure if that was concerning out of province/country applicants and meant that interviews could be held via phone/video conference.

External interviews are held in person for out of province applicants so they will ask a group of people to interview you. I'm not sure how they work since I went to UW for mine.

And remember, the interview can make or break you! Start practicing!

I'm nervous too!

Last edited:
Thank you! Do you know if all interviews conducted are on campus at Waterloo? I read something about external interviews. I wasn't sure if that was concerning out of province/country applicants and meant that interviews could be held via phone/video conference.

I was wondering about this too. I had emailed them about it and they replied:

"There is usually an interview held somewhere in the Western provinces. The location has not yet been determined. Information about those external interviews are included in the interview invitation."

I'm from BC too, hopefully we'll see each other at the interview!! Good luck everyone!

Good morning, everyone

I'm wondering if anyone in the Hamilton Ontario region has received an email yet from Waterloo for an interview? Also, wishing everyone the best of luck!

Good morning, everyone

I'm wondering if anyone in the Hamilton Ontario region has received an email yet from Waterloo for an interview? Also, wishing everyone the best of luck!
No one has received an interview yet. they are sending them out monday.

Well, any minute now.

Reactions: 1 users
How is everyone expecting their notification for an interview? Email or Quest?

We're supposed to get an email I believe. For previous years both interviews and acceptance were sent out by email.

Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an email yet or know if there is a specific time that they are sending them out? Once again, good luck to everyone! #thewaitisreal

They are actually late, because they said in their important application information they would give out interviews before the end of November. #letsriot

Has anyone received an email yet or know if there is a specific time that they are sending them out? Once again, good luck to everyone! #thewaitisreal
They send them out at like 5pm

I should be studying for finals but all I'm doing is refreshing my email...

Reactions: 1 users
I should be studying for finals but all I'm doing is refreshing my email...
I don`t think ill be getting any work done until I get this email. Ive been refreshing my email for 3 days now...

Reactions: 1 user
apparently they are doing a lot more interviews this year so I wouldnt be surprised if we all got interviews

I have an interview at 10am Saturday January 10th!!!!

Anyone else?

I have an interview at 10am Saturday January 10th!!!!

Anyone else?
Same. see you there! Good luck everyone Interview emails are out

Last edited:
I also got one on the 10th, at 9 am. I was thinking about attending the external interview in Calgary, does anyone know if there is any downfalls to not attending the interview in Waterloo (other than seeing the campus and meeting more faculty members). Would they consider you as an applicant any differently?

Yesss!!

January 10th at 10 am LETS DO THIS PEOPLE!!! (aka go away so i can get accepted.....) lmao

I also got one on the 10th, at 9 am. I was thinking about attending the external interview in Calgary, does anyone know if there is any downfalls to not attending the interview in Waterloo (other than seeing the campus and meeting more faculty members). Would they consider you as an applicant any differently?

I feel like it would be extremely wrong for them to consider you differently based on where you live. There is no way they expect you to spend the money, effort, and time to fly over to Waterloo when there is a closer location. I would assume that their statement of "we strongly encourage you to come to Waterloo to meet our people and see our facility" is more for your own sake, and for people who live halfway between Ontario and one of the two external interview locations.

Last edited:
Anyone know where they hold the external interviews in Calgary? Would it be uofc?

Anybody finding a good way to get from Pearson to UW??

Personally, I think the best way is to cab. There is an airport in Kitchener. Are there no flights directly to there?

Hey,

Hopefully I can get some answers here. How badly do you think my QR and RC scores will affect my chances of getting into Waterloo?

QR: 290 (42.3 percentile)
RC: 280 (39.1 percentile)
BIO: 340 (77.7 percentile)
Gen Chem: 370 (96.3 percentile)
Org Chem: 400 (100 percentile)
Phy: 330 (80.4 percentile)
TS: 370 (94.8 percentile)
AA: 340 (88.5 percentile)

Thanks!

Those are kind of low QR and RC, but you still make the "cut". Did you get an interview? You might have to pull your weight there

Find some nice clothes and remain calm? Also, its best to just assess what you've done, both optometry related and extracurricular. There isn't really an infinite amount of questions they can ask in order to see if you are fit for the career. Google also helps a lot. That's pretty much how I will do it.

Have any of you heard back from UW after replying to their initial interview email??

Have any of you heard back from UW after replying to their initial interview email??
Ya, they should have emailed you back with more information about the interview process... maybe they just got a lot of emails and taking their time?

Hello!
I am in my first year at UW and did the East Coast External Interview! There was only 3 of us there and 2 are currently in our class (not sure what happened to the 3rd). I was worried about this as well but there was absolutely no downfall!! I actually really enjoyed being in the 'not as stress filled' atmosphere and the entire interview was done in 1 hour. I hoped this helped and good luck!

Hello! I am a current optom student and make the trip to pearson often. Air Transit is a lovely way to travel but costs around $90 per person (this is a van type of transportation)...if you take a taxi it will cost you $90 all together- depends on how many people are coming with you.

Hey everyone. I guess I am just having trouble finding out how much the interview contributes to the overall admissions process. It would just be nice to know. Also does anyone know whether there is any emphasis on personal questions, acting situations, or ethical dilemmas?

Hey everyone. I guess I am just having trouble finding out how much the interview contributes to the overall admissions process. It would just be nice to know. Also does anyone know whether there is any emphasis on personal questions, acting situations, or ethical dilemmas?
I thought that at this point, it's gonna make or break our admission? Not sure anymore now