Waterloo 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! So I am #1 on the wait list. I am incredibly nervous but I have been told that they almost always go into the wait list. I am just wondering if anyone is planning on rejecting their offer of admission, would you mind letting me know?! It would take a lot of weight off my shoulders! Thanks a lot, and congratulations to everyone who has already been accepted!

Admit!!! so excited to meet everyone. Anyone from Edmonton?

Ps. This is my second time applying. I worked my butt off to improve my oat and interview and it paid off. The extra year it gave me felt really productive to work on self-improvement. So to those that are distraught about their results - it's not the end!

What was wrong with your OAT the first time around?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I got conditionally accepted as well, as I am currently finishing up my 3rd year of science.
I am going to UBC Okanagan but I am from Alberta.
Is everyone waiting for to receive their letter before they are accepting their offer online?

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I got conditionally accepted as well, as I am currently finishing up my 3rd year of science.
I am going to UBC Okanagan but I am from Alberta.
Is everyone waiting for to receive their letter before they are accepting their offer online?

I accepted my offer within a few minutes after I found out that I was accepted. I don't think it will make any difference whether you do it before or after receiving the mail.

Just a heads up. "You have three weeks from yesterday [to accept offer]." Btw congrats to all who were accepted :D

Who did you ask? And did you mean accept by clicking it online or sending the signed letter back?
Marie Amodeo whose the Administrative Assistant. Not sure if the online one or the signed letter or both. Maybe I should have asked that too lol. Guessing its the online one though.

Marie Amodeo whose the Administrative Assistant. Not sure if the online one or the signed letter or both. Maybe I should have asked that too lol. Guessing its the online one though.

I sent them an email and will update you guys as to how long we have before we have to submit the signed letter sent by University of Waterloo. :D

Just received the email with my spot on the waiting list. Now I'm hoping for the best!
What number are you on the waiting list. how do you feel about your spot/ chances of getting accepted?

What number are you on the waiting list. how do you feel about your spot/ chances of getting accepted?

I'm not feeling too confident, but staying optimistic and planning for the future because that's all there's left to do! I will update as wait list moves :)

Hey guys! So I am #1 on the wait list. I am incredibly nervous but I have been told that they almost always go into the wait list. I am just wondering if anyone is planning on rejecting their offer of admission, would you mind letting me know?! It would take a lot of weight off my shoulders! Thanks a lot, and congratulations to everyone who has already been accepted!

My friend who was offered conditional admittance is declining due to extenuating circumstances. Thought I would let you know! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Lionelaj!

Just got a reply from Marie about the conditional acceptances, she says we just need to maintain our current averages (or close to them)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get their official letter of admission yet? What does it outline?
I didn't get it yet but according to Canada Post it takes 2 days within Waterloo, 3 days within Ontario, and four days within Canada so we should be getting it soon if they already sent them out.

Anyone get their official letter of admission yet? What does it outline?

My letter says "Successful completion of all current courses and pre-requisite(s) including Graduate courses if applicable and an official transcript that indicates your winter 2015 term grades must be sent to the School of Optometry Admissions Office by June 19, 2015"

and we have to sign, scan and email the letter to make it official :)
(must accept/deny our offer within 3 weeks of March 19, 2015)

Last edited:
My letter says "Successful completion of all current courses and pre-requisite(s) including Graduate courses if applicable and an official transcript that indicates your winter 2015 term grades must be sent to the School of Optometry Admissions Office by June 19, 2015"

and we have to sign, scan and email the letter to make it official :)
(must accept/deny our offer within 3 weeks of March 19, 2015)

So I'm assuming that they don't have a specific minimum mark they want us to get for Winter 2015 term.

My friend who was offered conditional admittance is declining due to extenuating circumstances. Thought I would let you know! :)
Congratulations Lionelaj!
Hey ODbb! I just read your message from Sunday. THANK YOU for letting me know! That's a huge weight off my shoulders. I have not received notice from the university as of yet but I hope they will be contacting me sooner than later. Thanks again!
And thank you BChu for the congratulations :)

Hey ODbb! I just read your message from Sunday. THANK YOU for letting me know! That's a huge weight off my shoulders. I have not received notice from the university as of yet but I hope they will be contacting me sooner than later. Thanks again!
And thank you BChu for the congratulations :)
can you let us know when they do call you just so we can know when the list is moving?

can you let us know when they do call you just so we can know when the list is moving?

We have 3 weeks to reply, and keep in mind that some people may be also applying to other programs and don't hear back until May/June, so I'm pretty sure the list will move a bit more around that time. I know being on the waitlist sucks, but remember that if you're on the waitlist, then you must have been deemed "admissible." Good luck, I'll be thinking of you! (especially since you were the one who got this thread rolling!). :)

after we send an email with the scanned letter of acceptance, are we expecting an e-mail back from them that they received our response?

Does anyone know of people who are not accepting the offer for whatever reason? Is there a down payment that needs to be sent to the University to reserve a spot?

Does anyone know of people who are not accepting the offer for whatever reason? Is there a down payment that needs to be sent to the University to reserve a spot?
no down payment. just signing the letter of acceptance and submitting final transcript is enough to secure the spot. Tuition fees are paid when your acceptance is confirmed and your courses are enrolled.

The three week period to accept or deny admittance is up and they have not started making wait list calls as of yet. Just thought I'd let everyone know!

Thanks Lionelaj. I'm second on the waitlist. Does anyone know how it actually works? For instance, what happens if I'm unavailable if they phone?

Thanks Lionelaj. I'm second on the waitlist. Does anyone know how it actually works? For instance, what happens if I'm unavailable if they phone?
Im not 100% sure, but the phone call is just for immediate notice. They should still send you a physical letter and change your status on QUEST should you miss the phone call.

Good luck!

When I called her to provide my phone number she confirmed that I had voicemail. If you shouldn't be available for the call she should leave a voicemail so you can call her back. Honestly I think she will require you to accaept the offer verbally before sending a letter to you.

Have people received their admission packages in the mail (including people on the waitlist)?

Rejected... 86.5% average and 380TS/360AA on OAT and I definitely didn't bomb the interview. I don't even know what to say.

To those that were rejected, I truly apologize and I understand how much it would hurt and what a shock it may come to you as. I'm a prospective applicant and I can see that all of your stats are pretty high. Have you called Waterloo admissions to ask them what it was about your application that made you get rejected? Or did they give you any advice on what you could improve for next year?

I was just contacted by the university. Offered and accepted admittance. They have begun calling people off the waitlist! Good luck!

I was just contacted by the university. Offered and accepted admittance. They have begun calling people off the waitlist! Good luck!
do you have to accept on the spot or how does it work?

She will just ask if you'd like to attend and then she'll send you a letter of acceptance with instructions on how to formally accept or decline the offer of admission, which I believe is done on quest. This is just what she told me while I was on the phone with her

She will just ask if you'd like to attend and then she'll send you a letter of acceptance with instructions on how to formally accept or decline the offer of admission, which I believe is done on quest. This is just what she told me while I was on the phone with her

Congrats!

Man I'm so happy for you! I'm still praying

Yeah, I got the phone call today too. Goodluck everyone.

I've been following this thread for updates, and they've kept me a little more sane. I was 5th on the waitlist and they just called. I just made an account because I wanted to let people know since I really appreciated the updates. Good luck!

Congrats! And thanks to everyone who's been a part of this thread - you guys have been so supportive and a great help! Can't wait to meet you all during orientation week! I think someone posted the FB group link before but here it is again for all those admitted. https://www.facebook.com/groups/848250668554662/

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has started looking into funding options... I've been looking into both student LOC's and government loans. I know a number of past students that have maybe used a combination of both. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what is more economically smart?

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone else has been called off of the wait list since #5? It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could notify those who are still on the wait list as well as prospective applicants for next year to see their chances of being admitted. Thank you in advance.

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone else is nervous for the future of optometry? i have recently read a few concerning things online about the declining need for optometry and I this makes me nervous as I am thinking about pursuing optometry...
Thoughts?

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone else is nervous for the future of optometry? i have recently read a few concerning things online about the declining need for optometry and I this makes me nervous as I am thinking about pursuing optometry...
Thoughts?

I can totally see where you're coming from. To me however, optometry is much more than giving people prescriptions and making money off that, so I'm not too nervous about all the new online eye tests and contacts businesses. There is no doubt that the demand will go down, because there are always people who go to get their eyes checked simply for a new pair of glasses. But I am hopeful that people will learn that eyes aren't a separate entity to your body and health, and they can show first signs of certain diseases.

At the end of the day, I feel like every profession has their risks if you look into the future and not just the present. A lot of people start considering dentistry as their alternative, but who knows if they'll come up with a super toothpaste or mouth wash that will greatly improve oral health? They might say, oh well you still have wisdom teeth, dentures, etc that you have to take care of, but hey, those arguments work for optometrists as well.

It is extremely understandable if money and job stability are big motivating factors for some, but this is my take on the situation (based on limited knowledge).

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, particularly in health professions, there's always going to be apps or new technology to aide us in caring for our patients, particularly those from remote regions. But fortunately for us as health professionals, there's a lot that we can do and offer to patients that an app simply can't. In the words of my mentor, " the human race advanced only after the most needy and disadvantaged people were taken care of."

Last edited: