Waterloo 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know have any recent stats on how many people Waterloo generally interviews, and how many people end up being accepted?

No idea how accurate this is, but people have said something like 300 applicants, invite 150 to interview, accept 90.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know have any recent stats on how many people Waterloo generally interviews, and how many people end up being accepted?

I think they generally accept 90 applicants per year, although I'm not sure how many people get interviews. I too would like to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
i think 90 get accepted each year.

about 300ishhh apply per year

not sure about # of interviews.

lmao i didn't see that everyone already replied until after i posted my reply. my bad :)

For those who have already RSVP'd to the interviews on january 9th, are you guys brining guests (ie. your parents)?
I was talking to one of my colleagues who used to volunteer with the Waterloo interviews and she mentioned that around only 2 people bring their parents.
Not sure if I should bring mine then.

For those who have already RSVP'd to the interviews on january 9th, are you guys brining guests (ie. your parents)?
I was talking to one of my colleagues who used to volunteer with the Waterloo interviews and she mentioned that around only 2 people bring their parents.
Lol really? Both of my parents wanted to tag along.

Lol really? Both of my parents wanted to tag along.
Haha yeah! She said only out-of-towners brought their parents, and didn't really participate in the tours and mostly just sat in the cafeteria.
Still bringing mine though, even though I'm a UW undergrad.

Haha yeah! She said only out-of-towners brought their parents, and didn't really participate in the tours and mostly just sat in the cafeteria.
Still bringing mine though, even though I'm a UW undergrad.
I commented on the 2015 Waterloo thread haha . Hopefully someone who has gone on to an interview can provide some details. They're only grading us on the interview, so I don't think it should matter...I hope.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm coming from out of town, but my mom and sister are coming with me... They are only around for the campus tour so I highly doubt it is a weird thing for them to tag along!

I know that 90 get accepted and I've heard they interview around 180-190 people from a friend who went through the process two years ago.

There are 300ish applicants usually, yes, though we're never sure on the number they invite for an interview. Having been in the application process the past two times, the latest one seemed to have a lot more because everyone was invited at various different times on the same day and would roll in through interviews/tours etc while others would come in at their time. I remember I was like #180 or 190 something last year (Name tags have numbers). So ya, it's pretty up there.

But it's always 90 accepted, unless they decided to increase the class number one year. But I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Also feel free to bring whomever?? Didn't think it was that big a deal to decide to bring your parents or not. It's a big day, and you likely want anyone who is a good support system for you to be there. For many people, that's their parents. Don't over think your guest options, that's not going to affect anything -_-

Last edited:
Are there any resources you know of that explain what the interview involves? Any preparation required?
I'd look up different professional school interview resources. Be prepared for the type of questions that are typical and know how you'd structure and formulate your answer. But above all. Rememeber its not necessarily what you say, but your reasoning behind it, and your personality reflecting in it. Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Current 1st year Waterloo optom student here - congrats to everyone who got interviews, I've gotten some messages so just to respond to a few questions from above:

1. Guests- I think you're allowed to bring anywhere from 0-2 guests along for the tour of our school
2. This year, we have 91 people, so maybe they'll accept 92 people next year, who knows. But for the past few years, they said at the interview around 300-350 people apply, 150-170 people interview, 90 for the class.
3. Interview prep- Since there's only a few days left before the big day anyways, I would just say think about your past experiences and self-reflect on who you are as a person, your values, etc. There isn't really any optometry-specific knowledge that you need to know- the interviewers aren't there to trick you, they just want to find out more about you.

Best of luck to everyone, hope to meet you next year!

Reactions: 4 users
Current 1st year Waterloo optom student here - congrats to everyone who got interviews, I've gotten some messages so just to respond to a few questions from above:

1. Guests- I think you're allowed to bring anywhere from 0-2 guests along for the tour of our school
2. This year, we have 91 people, so maybe they'll accept 92 people next year, who knows. But for the past few years, they said at the interview around 300-350 people apply, 150-170 people interview, 90 for the class.
3. Interview prep- Since there's only a few days left before the big day anyways, I would just say think about your past experiences and self-reflect on who you are as a person, your values, etc. There isn't really any optometry-specific knowledge that you need to know- the interviewers aren't there to trick you, they just want to find out more about you.

This was very helpful, thanks!

Current 1st year Waterloo optom student here - congrats to everyone who got interviews, I've gotten some messages so just to respond to a few questions from above

Just to clarify, when they ask about your shadowing experience, they aren't gonna ask you any specific technical questions? Because I do not know the names of all the machines and all parts of the eye.. lol figured I would learn that stuff while being in optometry school

Just to clarify, when they ask about your shadowing experience, they aren't gonna ask you any specific technical questions? Because I do not know the names of all the machines and all parts of the eye.. lol figured I would learn that stuff while being in optometry school
No, I don't think they ask that. My optometrist told me that before her interview, she looked up all the parts of the eye, basic anatomy stuff, but they didn't end up asking her anything like that. So I think we're good! Interview day is so close! Best of luck!

No, they definitely don't ask you any technical questions, of course, if you want to mention your shadowing experience, go for it, but you definitely DON'T need to know any anatomy eye parts or machines stuff.

Good luck tomorrow, everyone.

Last edited:
Now that everyone is done their interviews, i'm interested to hear how everyone thought it went :) I got the hardest station first and I was nervous so I think that one was a little hard to judge how I did but the other two seemed to go very well!

Remember guys that we did sign a confidentiality form so don't discuss too much of the specifics! I am curious however if anyone attended external interviews and if they know how many people attended them? It wouldn't hurt for us to get a rough idea of how many people we are up against! I believe there was around 144 interviewed on Saturday, so if they typically interview 180-190 people that seems to be quite a few unaccounted for....

I did an external interview. I know for sure that there was at least 6 people doing it in Calgary including me but those are only the ones I saw. I don't know specific numbers

Remember guys that we did sign a confidentiality form so don't discuss too much of the specifics! I am curious however if anyone attended external interviews and if they know how many people attended them? It wouldn't hurt for us to get a rough idea of how many people we are up against! I believe there was around 144 interviewed on Saturday, so if they typically interview 180-190 people that seems to be quite a few unaccounted for....
How do you know there was only 144? Did you ask? I felt like there was way more people.

Current Education level: 3rd year bio student at the University of Calgary
OAT score: 380 TS/370 AA
GPA: 3.8
Optometry Experience: Worked at an Optometrist's office for a semester, ~35 hours of job shadowing
EC: president of the Pre-Optometry club, Youth Centre volunteer, participated in a couple of programs and clubs at my university

Hey Guys I just discovered this 2016 page.

Does anyone know if they pick a certain amount of people from each province, or are they not concerned about where you were from?

Also, for the interview, I don't think I killed it or anything, but overall I think I did better than I expected to do! I didn't mind that style of interview!

Current Education level: 3rd year bio student at the University of Calgary
OAT score: 380 TS/370 AA
GPA: 3.8
Optometry Experience: Worked at an Optometrist's office for a semester, ~35 hours of job shadowing
EC: president of the Pre-Optometry club, Youth Centre volunteer, participated in a couple of programs and clubs at my university

Hey Guys I just discovered this 2016 page.

Does anyone know if they pick a certain amount of people from each province, or are they not concerned about where you were from?

Also, for the interview, I don't think I killed it or anything, but overall I think I did better than I expected to do! I didn't mind that style of interview!

As far as I know there isn't a set number of people selected from each province. I have talked to a few optometrists who went to Waterloo and they both had mentioned there being different amounts of people from our home province in their class so I imagine it is irrelevant! As for the interview I felt like it neither went amazing or poorly... It was just hard to truly judge when you get such limited time and interactions. I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Also,
Does anyone know when we will here back from them? I'm thought it was the end of March but I'm not sure!

Also,
Does anyone know when we will here back from them? I'm thought it was the end of March but I'm not sure!

I believe they said they would have their decisions by March 11th or so? And that we would hear by the end of March! However, it seems like in past years they thought it got released online on a Monday near the end of March so I would guess the 21st (but that is just a guess).

I believe they said they would have their decisions by March 11th or so? And that we would hear by the end of March! However, it seems like in past years they thought it got released online on a Monday near the end of March so I would guess the 21st (but that is just a guess).
Last year we heard back on March 19th. I'm hoping we'll hear sometime in that 3rd week of March this year.

When I interviewed they told me that the admissions committee would be meeting on March 8th and that we would have the results by the end of March!

Hoping we all get in!! :thumbup: May the odds be in our favour!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
IT'S MARCH!!! We'll be hearing back so soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Ahahah omg I just had a dream about the email... LOL ... this anticipation..

I love that we will be the class of 2020!

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone! I am in third year majoring in biomedical sciences. I have heard that not very many third year students are admitted. You have to have a huge amount of extracurricular and volunteer work to be considered. I have put in many hours of work at my university, as well as my community so I am hoping to receive that lucky acceptance email this month.

Last edited:
They should be out in 2-3 weeks (No guarantees, just an estimate from the past). Best of luck guys!
For the class of 2019 emails were sent on march 19th. Quest is updated first (in the morning), then the email is sent.

They should be out in 2-3 weeks (No guarantees, just an estimate from the past). Best of luck guys!
For the class of 2019 emails were sent on march 19th. Quest is updated first (in the morning), then the email is sent.
Broo you got accepted, good job. Anyways, see you next weekend!

Ahhhh. Starting to get very anxious! It could be any day.

The anticipation is brutal! I'm sure everyone's parents and friends have been asking them every day since the beginning of the month (I know mine have). Also, its funny how the number of views on this thread shot up so high recently but no comments lol.

I get asked everyday when I'm going to know the results and I check quest constantly even though I know it hasn't changed yet lol. This wait is making me anxious!

Reactions: 2 users
I am checking Quest once a day as well! Does anyone have any comments on student housing near Waterloo? Just doing a bit of research and it looks expensive to rent and the applications aren't open yet for Columbia lake village north. Has anyone heard how those new sage units are? Also I am wondering how the Icon towers are progressing on Phillip street. Will they be ready for September?

I am checking Quest once a day as well! Does anyone have any comments on student housing near Waterloo? Just doing a bit of research and it looks expensive to rent and the applications aren't open yet for Columbia lake village north. Has anyone heard how those new sage units are? Also I am wondering how the Icon towers are progressing Philip street. Will they be ready for September?

Ahhh I check ATLEAST once a day... The suspense is killing me! In regards to housing, I thought the new sage units seemed quite promising since I believe they have in suite laundry and actually come furnished... I know in previous years that they set up a Facebook page for incoming students though. I imagine this will be a great place for us to find out more about the best places to live.

At least we're in the home stretch guys. At most we only have another 2(ish) weeks wait but hopefully it'll be earlier than that!

Do they only release on weekdays or can we expect it any day? Any specific tie of day they update it? o_0 Just so I know when to check

I would assume that responses would come out during typical office business hours... Probably sometime between 8-5 on Monday through Friday!

omg! getting so nervous :O
guess not today since it's past 8am?

Hey guys I was just wondering does anyone know what last years average GPA and OAT were???

Hey guys I was just wondering does anyone know what last years average GPA and OAT were???
370 and 87.
I know a girl I worked with last year who applied to UW, got 390 on OAT, had high avg and didn't get accepted though.