Waterloo Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chb64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post! So I'm new here, and I did a search but couldn't find the answer to my probably obvious question. I'm Canadian & attend a school in Ontario but my school doesn't use percentages, it uses letter grades. So basically I am just wondering how to calculate my GPA percentage for Waterloo given I only have letter grades. However, I'm seeing (Canadian) members here post their OMSAS GPA :confused:

(Also - EVERY course you've taken is included in the GPA calc (including summer), right?)

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

I am going to school out in Nova Scotia right now and plan on eventually applying to Waterloo for optometry!

Yes, Waterloo includes all courses taken, from all years of study to calculate your cumulative GPA.

This link here is from McMaster university and has a GPA conversion table, which I have been using: http://studentsuccess.mcmaster.ca/resources/gpa-conversion-chart.html

Good luck :)

Hey there!

I am going to school out in Nova Scotia right now and plan on eventually applying to Waterloo for optometry!

Yes, Waterloo includes all courses taken, from all years of study to calculate your cumulative GPA.

This link here is from McMaster university and has a GPA conversion table, which I have been using: http://studentsuccess.mcmaster.ca/resources/gpa-conversion-chart.html

Good luck :)

Hey! Thanks for the reply! Yeah I emailed UW asking for clarification...will repost here once I get a reply. I also asked over the phone but all the person told me was that they had a "system" to convert letter grades into percentages (all she told me was that B = 75% which seems quite generous). Unfortunately she didn't tell me what the other letter grades converted to (not sure if it was because they don't want to disclose their formula or if she actually couldn't remember the conversion off the top of her head - seemed like the latter though).

Thanks for the link - but I actually do know how to calculate my OMSAS GPA, I was just wondering why people here were posting this instead of their percentages :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

not sure if you received an answer yet, but you should check your school for a chart that shows the letter grades and its ranges. For the application, you would use the median grade. For example, if your school uses the grade of A, which represents 84 - 90%, you would put 87%. Hope this helps.