*waves hand and smiles* What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zahra Alburkat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Volunteer at Karmanos Cancer Center: 400 hours
Volunteer at Hospice of Michigan: 1 year
Volunteer Student Assistant at Childrens Hospital of MI: 1 year (i'd say 89 to 100 hours)
Work as a Home Health Aide: 2years patient care experience so far
Hoping to do some volunteer in ER or as a volunteer EMT before the summer.
I'm a Medical Assistant as well so I have had experience in a doctors office.
Doctor Shadowing i'd say 40 hours in cath lab

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you re-taken any classes? If not, MD and DO GPAs are counted the same, except, I think, for math. Any re-take will count the higher grade only for DO.

If you can get to a 3.2 you'll be in fine shape for all DO programs.

Apply when you have the best posible packet. You're in no hurry.

Suggest NOT taking MCAT until you get Gen Chem under your belt (and Orgo, and Physics, and at leats a year of Bio).

I'm currently a Premed student at Wayne State University. My sGPA is 3.0 (taking 2 science classes this semester so hope to boost it to a 3.2. My cGPA is a 3.5 taking 15 credits this term so hope to get A's and boost my GPA even higher. Mcat will be taken in May if god wills.

Volunteer at Karmanos Cancer Center: 400 hours
Volunteer at Hospice of Michigan: 1 year
Volunteer Student Assistant at Childrens Hospital of MI: 1 year (i'd say 89 to 100 hours)
Work as a Home Health Aide: 2years patient care experience so far
Hoping to do some volunteer in ER or as a volunteer EMT before the summer.
I'm a Medical Assistant as well so I have had experience in a doctors office.
Doctor Shadowing i'd say 40 hours in cath lab

Those are grades as of for MD i'm assuming my GPA would be higher for DO?

I live in MI, but would apply everywhere if need be.

How soon should I apply?

Also, I have a few more science classes left (Gen chem 2, bio chem, genetics) left thinking of taking them in the summer after the Mcat. Is it okie to apply while still taking more classes?

Thank you for your reply :)
No I havent retaken any classes. I've completed Physics and Ochem. I just need Gen chem2.

Do you think I can apply to MD with what I have? I'm hoping to do well on the Mcat bc I had some family problems, I had to work 45+ hours a week so that had much to do with my gpa going down. If I were to get a high Mcat score can I get into MD would that look at that? if so how high would high be for MD?

Sorry for all these questions. I thank you for your time :)

Zahra

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply
No I havent retaken any classes. I've completed Physics and Ochem. I just need Gen chem2.

Do you think I can apply to MD with what I have? I'm hoping to do well on the Mcat bc I had some family problems, I had to work 45+ hours a week so that had much to do with my gpa going down. If I were to get a high Mcat score can I get into MD would that look at that? if so how high would high be for MD?

Sorry for all these questions. I thank you for your time

Zahra
Zahra Alburkat is online now Report Post

Have you re-taken any classes? If not, MD and DO GPAs are counted the same, except, I think, for math. Any re-take will count the higher grade only for DO.

If you can get to a 3.2 you'll be in fine shape for all DO programs.

Apply when you have the best posible packet. You're in no hurry.

Suggest NOT taking MCAT until you get Gen Chem under your belt (and Orgo, and Physics, and at leats a year of Bio).

Your sGPA is not competitive for the bulk of MD programs; though if you shoot for perhaps a year's worth of science A's (30ish credits) that will definitely strengthen your application.

Take the MCAT when you've got your head together and are ready. Do not rush it.

Until your final grades and MCAT score are in, the WAMC advice you get here are a shot in the dark :rolleyes:

Thank you for your reply

Sorry for all these questions. I thank you for your time

Zahra
Zahra Alburkat is online now Report Post

you haven't even taken gen chem 2? You do know you need organic 1 and 2 before biochem as well, right?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I plan on taking the MCAT in May 2014 and then after that I will see what else needs to be done. I might just do that take more science classes to boost it up and maybe apply the following year if I'm not ready this year. I appreciate your time. God bless you :)

Your sGPA is not competitive for the bulk of MD programs; though if you shoot for perhaps a year's worth of science A's (30ish credits) that will definitely strengthen your application.

Take the MCAT when you've got your head together and are ready. Do not rush it.

Until your final grades and MCAT score are in, the WAMC advice you get here are a shot in the dark :rolleyes:

Hello thank you for your reply :)

I have taken orgo 1 (loved it) and orgo 2 :) and I can register for biochem now if I wanted. Might take it in the winter :)

you haven't even taken gen chem 2? You do know you need organic 1 and 2 before biochem as well, right?