Wax-Ups: How do you make them really shine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thiennga

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a occlusion final coming up and was wondering what is the best way to make a wax tooth really shine. I've been using panty hose and it works pretty well but it leaves very small lines on the tooth. Any suggestions to make the wax look mirror smooth? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

the panty hose should normally be ok for getting them as smooth as they need to be...but I guess if you're really feeling risky you could always try a VERY quick flame polish..but be prepared for a disaster.

the panty hose should normally be ok for getting them as smooth as they need to be...but I guess if you're really feeling risky you could always try a VERY quick flame polish..but be prepared for a disaster.
I learned from this site that Armor-all wipes work well... and they really do!

Members don't see this ad :)
armor all wipes do work amazingly, but so do cotton balls and soap and water. I used the foaming kind of pump soap and really cold water, rinse it off and air dry.

I have a occlusion final coming up and was wondering what is the best way to make a wax tooth really shine. I've been using panty hose and it works pretty well but it leaves very small lines on the tooth. Any suggestions to make the wax look mirror smooth? Thanks.

I always used panty hose for the initial polish. Then used soap and water on a cotton roll. For the posterior teeth, I used a chip syringe (flame bulb) that you would heat up with the bunsen burner, and then put a quick polish on the wax-up... it was always good for the occlusal anatomy when you would get little flakes of wax or other irregularities... it would remelt them great.... you just have to learn how to use the bulb though... it can be great, or it can melt your entire tooth.

nose grease after pantyhose shine up. you shouldn't get lines in it w/the pantyhose if you polish in all directions.

Reactions: 1 user

sweat from your brow

I've thought about using soap, but am kinda concerned -- would some brands/types dissolve the wax? (Detergent would probably do so.) Would some brands/types leave a dull film, especially with hard water?

It seems picky and paranoid, but some anatomic features of the teeth are so small that even a little change can make a big difference.

orange oil! (that orange smelling organic cleaner stuff - works wonders! but our pros department banned it because it really makes s*** shine)

Get out all the major scratches and real gently flame that sucker with the Hannau Torch. Wipe with your magic cloth, and presto: perfect shine.

Hand soap on a cotton roll, and warm water. The warm water just barely softens the wax while you're polishing it to smooth out any tiny irregularities, and the soap makes that thing shine like a mother.

nose grease after pantyhose shine up. you shouldn't get lines in it w/the pantyhose if you polish in all directions.

+1 for the nose grease, but our faculty told us not to use it because they thought it was disgusting. Pantyhose are all right, but finding a real silk handkerchief is even better. The key is real silk. Some stuff you get is super coarse and bad. The q-tip with warm water and soap is a close second to nose grease.

hi after the panty hose take a cotton pellet and liquid soap wash the wax up in cold water with this

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the great...and unique...suggestions. I already have some car wipes so I might try that. The soap and water sounds simples enough but I'm afraid to mess that up so I might try that later with something thats not due so soon. So thanks again.

Come on we're all medical professionals. Lets call it "sebum" not "nose grease."

That being said. Soap and water on a cotton roll followed by a coat of sebum really makes wax shine. Don't worry the soap won't dissolve your pattern, at least not at a macroscopic scale.

Come on we're all medical professionals. Lets call it "sebum" not "nose grease."

That being said. Soap and water on a cotton roll followed by a coat of sebum really makes wax shine. Don't worry the soap won't dissolve your pattern, at least not at a macroscopic scale.
Come on, we're all medical professionals. Let's call them "sanitizing emulsification agent", "dihydrogen monoxide", and "paraffin-derived hydrocarbon solid" and not "soap", "water", and "wax."

Getting initials after your name doesn't mean you have to stop talking like a normal human being. :p

playdough works great....just soften up some and press it all over the wax-up. It picks up stray wax and occlusion powder and leaves a great shine from some oils (or whatever) it releases.

Come on, we're all medical professionals. Let's call them "sanitizing emulsification agent", "dihydrogen monoxide", and "paraffin-derived hydrocarbon solid" and not "soap", "water", and "wax."

Getting initials after your name doesn't mean you have to stop talking like a normal human being. :p

"Sanitizing emulsification agent," I like that.

I'm sorry. A sarcastic tone was intended with the "medical professionals" comment. I wasn't trying to be a pompous a-hole. I just really think sebum is a funny word, and wanted a chance to use it in the forum.

Hand soap on a cotton roll, and warm water. The warm water just barely softens the wax while you're polishing it to smooth out any tiny irregularities, and the soap makes that thing shine like a mother.

This is almost an embarrassing question but...when you use the warm soap/water with a roll, do you just place it on the occlusal anatomy or try and polish some with the cotton roll? I just dont see how the water will do anything considering we're using wax...I've tried the soapy water trick with a q-tip and like my professor told me to do, just kind of swing the wet edge through the flame to heat it up just a little and dump it on the surface...but absolutely nothing happened. It looked great when wet, but just as 'unsmooth' once it dried. So clearly I'm not doing something right...any suggestions?

panty hose, followed by q-tips with soapy water. if there's lines, i'll heat up the q-tip.

I too learned the value of armor all wipes. Original. Not the spray. And the shine allows you to see some new defects you may not have noticed. I never had enough nose grease although I've seen the results are just as good.

Here's what I think:

I don't give a rat's pattoosh if my tooth shines like a freshly minted penny. If it "hits" in the right spots, then that is a Pass in my book.
I'll be damned if I ever spend 2 seconds making a resin filling shine so much you could see your reflection in someone's mouth.

Right Tamir? :) Oh yea, but in all seriousness, that armor all sponge they gave us will make any piece of junky wax job shine, but I spend usually 30-40 seconds polishing a finished tooth.

Last edited:

I finally found a product to make wax models shiny. I am a jewelry craftsman and really like showing my carved waxes when they shine. There used to be a casting product for that but has been discontinued because of EPA standards. By happenstance I came upon another product that works just as well , or even better. Here is the product that you need, I paint mine on with a soft camel hair brush. It drys quickly and you can rub it more than a bit and it still stays shiny. Dip it into an ultra sonic for 5 seconds and it is gone. https://www.riogrande.com/Product/midas-finish-seal-lacquer/335123

Last edited: