Way to ask professor for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocks123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professor doesn't hold regularly scheduled office hours and so I would need to email him about asking for a LOR. When I email him, should I ask him if we can set up a meeting time to talk about a potential LOR? Or should I just ask him in the email if he'd be willing to meet with me and then ask for the LOR in person when we meet?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed my professors and asked if they would meet me to talk about a letter of recommendation. I also gave them a copy of my CV, personal statement, transcript, and questionnaire that I filled out for a committee letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
My professor doesn't hold regularly scheduled office hours and so I would need to email him about asking for a LOR. When I email him, should I ask him if we can set up a meeting time to talk about a potential LOR? Or should I just ask him in the email if he'd be willing to meet with me and then ask for the LOR in person when we meet?

Just send an email requesting for an appointment (and ask for the LOR there). Also be sure to follow @mimelim guide to a good LOR.

I emailed my professors and asked if they would meet me to talk about a letter of recommendation. I also gave them a copy of my CV, personal statement, transcript, and questionnaire that I filled out for a committee letter.
Yeah I think that's appropriate. Now we play the waiting game. : )

You should also give them a list of guidelines if they agree to write you a letter.

This includes:
1) Writing in departmental head
2) Signing the letter
3) Addressing the letter as "Dear Admissions Committee"
4) Waiving your right to see it.

etc.

Also, your pre health advisor committee should have a pdf explaining how to request letter of recommendations. I know mine gave me a from to waive my right to see it and a page of questions for professors to answer.

I would definitely email asking to set a meeting - as opposed to asking for a letter outright. I remember when I asked for LORs, I was in another state and could not meet most of my letter writers. They were all more than happy to write a letter without having a meeting to speak about it prior. Though I definitely recommend that you do meet with your letter writers. Doing so equates to better letter with more depth, in my opinion.