Wayne State BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What winter classes do you reccommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

The three common winter classes are Physio II, Pharmacology, and Endocrine. See my notes above about the three!

Members don't see this ad.

How about psl7030 IM 7010 and 7030?

How about psl7030 IM 7010 and 7030?

PSL 7030 is Physio II. As far as the other two, I don't know anything about them and I haven't talked to anybody that has taken them. Also, don't avoid Pharm just because I said it was hard. It really was an awesome class!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I just can only take so many because of my work schedule do they take say a.other biochemical class in stead of the one you mentioned? Like from the chemical or Bio department at the grad level? I got plenty of options In The winter but not in the fall

I know I just can only take so many because of my work schedule do they take say a.other biochemical class in stead of the one you mentioned? Like from the chemical or Bio department at the grad level? I got plenty of options In The winter but not in the fall

Hmm I haven't heard of any other biochemistry or chemistry classes. But, looking in my course guide I see some listed:

BMB 7320, 7330, and 7340

These are supposedly in the "Biochemistry and Molecular Biology" category. I tried to look them up but they aren't offered this semester, so I don't know their titles or anything like that.

So are you looking for Fall term class ideas?

I saw those BMB classes it sayd that they are only open to pHD students? Or does it matter to us.

Thanks for being so helpful!

Yes I am looking for ideas. I work at like 12-8 lol. Winter seems to be ok fall i have a few ideas but they arent offered through the med school. There are a few but not enough.

I saw those BMB classes it sayd that they are only open to pHD students? Or does it matter to us.

Thanks for being so helpful!

Yes I am looking for ideas. I work at like 12-8 lol. Winter seems to be ok fall i have a few ideas but they arent offered through the med school. There are a few but not enough.

I don't know if they are only open for PhD students. But they were listed in my BMS program course guide as electives so I'd imagine we can get into them (maybe w/ instructor permission).

All the Fall classes I know of:

Physio I (PSL 7010)
Biochemistry (BMB 7010)
Advanced cardiovascular physio (probably requires Physio II first) (PSL 7600)
Neurophysiology (again, maybe has a prereq) (PSL 7660)
Principles of toxicology (maybe requires Pharm) (PHC 7410)
Drugs and the addictive process (PHC 6500)
General pathology (PTH 7000)
Molecular bio and genetics (MBG 7010)
Microbio (IM 7020)

Those are the ones that I have taken, am about to take, or know of people taking. There are probably more but hopefully that gives you some options for Fall classes!

How many hours per week do you recommend for studying? I am looking to work around 20hrs/week but don't want to compromise my grades.

How many hours per week do you recommend for studying? I am looking to work around 20hrs/week but don't want to compromise my grades.

I consider myself an efficient learner, and I was good with studying about 3 hrs p/ day with a couple extra each day the week before an exam.

I mentioned Dawn in an earlier post. She is the person who gives excellent advice when it comes to stuff like this. I will tell you what she told everybody- work if you absolutely have to, but work as little as possible and do not let it take the focus off of your grades. If you take this program, you HAVE to get A's if you want to get into medical school.

Personally, I worked about 12 hours per week and volunteered for 10 more. The work paid for my gas money and a little bit more. I took out student loans for everything else. I am in more debt than if I would have worked a bit more, but I also got the grades I needed, so choose your work schedule wisely!

Thank you! I plan on meeting with her but I really wanted to get a student's perspective.

I work a 37.5 hour job that I will keep working and another 20hr job. Pondering what to do.

Hi Everyone, I'll be applying for the winter 2013 semester ...
I'm thinking to take: IM 7010 (2 credits) , Physio II (4 credits) and possibly Endocrinology (BullOverBear mentioned it's super easy) ...having said that I'm just curious about the course code for Endocrinology class and how many credits is it? I don't see it listed under "CURRICULUM & DEGREE REQUIREMENTS"

Also to BullOverBear: what are your comments about IM7010 and PHC6500 ?

Thanks

:cool:
I don't know if they are only open for PhD students. But they were listed in my BMS program course guide as electives so I'd imagine we can get into them (maybe w/ instructor permission).

All the Fall classes I know of:

Physio I (PSL 7010)
Biochemistry (BMB 7010)
Advanced cardiovascular physio (probably requires Physio II first) (PSL 7600)
Neurophysiology (again, maybe has a prereq) (PSL 7660)
Principles of toxicology (maybe requires Pharm) (PHC 7410)
Drugs and the addictive process (PHC 6500)
General pathology (PTH 7000)
Molecular bio and genetics (MBG 7010)
Microbio (IM 7020)

Those are the ones that I have taken, am about to take, or know of people taking. There are probably more but hopefully that gives you some options for Fall classes!
Tell me about Path 7000 are there alot of prereqs you have to take? I could probably do that and essay.

I work from 1230-830 during the week so here is a sample sched.

Winter 13'
PSL 7030 4cr
IM 7010 2cr
IM 7030 2cr

Summer 13
BMS 7880 OR BMS 6550(If I can get out before 1230!)

Fall 13 ver I
PTH 7000 5cr
BMS 7999 Essay 3cr

OR...
Fall 13 ver II
Bio 6000 cell bio I 3cr
IM 7020 micro( rather not take as I get out at 1250) 2cr
BMS 7999 3cr

What do yall think?:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Take Bio6000 super easy ..I took it as one of my upper bio clsses during my undergrad. studies
90-95% is A minus
95 -100 A

its fun class and the instructor is super nice and lovely

Take Bio6000 super easy ..I took it as one of my upper bio clsses during my undergrad. studies
90-95% is A minus
95 -100 A

its fun class and the instructor is super nice and lovely

Who is the instructor and if I do take that Ill have to take IM 7020 which coincides with work. I probably could work something out around then but Id rather avoid it altogether.

Have you heard anything about Path 7000?

Who is the instructor and if I do take that Ill have to take IM 7020 which coincides with work. I probably could work something out around then but Id rather avoid it altogether.

Have you heard anything about Path 7000?

Karen Beningo is the instructor and yah you could work it out with BMB maybe (that's 7 credits)

Path 7000 no idea..i dont see it listed under the CURRICULUM & DEGREE REQUIREMENTS...is there a list of the classes somewhere else i'm not aware of ?

Karen Beningo is the instructor and yah you could work it out with BMB maybe (that's 7 credits)

Path 7000 no idea..i dont see it listed under the CURRICULUM & DEGREE REQUIREMENTS...is there a list of the classes somewhere else i'm not aware of ?

I cant do BMB I work from 1230-830.

How about PTH 7500 that one says "arranged"

Joining the discussion late--apologies.

A few questions I didn't see answer to I'm this thread:

- this is an SMP, correct?
- which semesters can you start the program and how do the application cycle run for each?
- is there an official (or unofficial) linkage with the SOM that places you in the next years medical class or are you only given an interview, etc...?
- is there a gap year with the program if you are accepted into the SOM?

Yes and no. It Does have success with getting people competitive for Med school and accepted. From what kelshie said its also viewed favorably too. There definitely unofficial linkage to Wayne granted you have above 3.7 for at least 20 credits upon which they will release you from the program. Unofficial meaning its no guaranteed but I never heard no one not getting into Wayne when doing well in this program.

Thank you. And is Wayne State a "state school,"/is there a large difference between in-state and out of state applicants and matriculants for both the BMS and the SOM?

Also, do you have any information on the application cycle/when to start looking for next year's program?

I can't it but there's an older thread with a PDF attachment with info on this program. Search for it. Its within the last two years I think. I'm on my phone and its hard to find.

Hey everyone,

I am applying for Winter 2013, I applied in Fall but was not accepted so I figured I would try again for winter. I have around a 2.9 GPA. I applied with a DAT score and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I wanted to wait to raise my GPA with the program and then take the MCAT. I have a DAT score of 16 but I might take the GRE. What GRE score do you think is needed to get in?

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I am applying for Winter 2013, I applied in Fall but was not accepted so I figured I would try again for winter. I have around a 2.9 GPA. I applied with a DAT score and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I wanted to wait to raise my GPA with the program and then take the MCAT. I have a DAT score of 16 but I might take the GRE. What GRE score do you think is needed to get in?

Thanks

I don't know I know Kelshie said hers wasn't very high and she got in fine.

How long did it take to hear back after you applied?

Should I be nervous that I haven't heard back yet?

when did you apply and what were your stats? It did take a pretty long time for a response from them. :confused:

Sep 21st
UGPA 2.87
gGPA 3.27(Cell bio)
GRE 470V 500Q 4

Wooot! I got in!!!

Can anyone (maybe currently enrolled or previous students) tell me the advantages and/disadvantages to starting this program in the fall/winter?

And does WSU use semesters or quarters or something else?

Also, application deadlines? For 2013 obviously.

Semesters
It seems OK to start winter

I am. I have an orientation and everything to go to. Why wait 8 months when you could he taking classes?

I was accepted recently for winter admission. However I am an out of state student from Texas having done undergrad in California at a UC. How helpful will this program be for me if I want to apply broadly for medical school? This is assuming I continue my GPA trend from my last two years of undergrad at 3.7+. I have a 31 mcat if that helps.

JMO, you really don't need a program like this if those are your stats. If anything, put all your effort into improving your MCAT. But even with the 31 I'd be hesitant to retake.

JMO, you really don't need a program like this if those are your stats. If anything, put all your effort into improving your MCAT. But even with the 31 I'd be hesitant to retake.

I did my first 3 years in community college getting C after C in my prereqs. At UC I got As in classes like biochemistry, physical chemistry, inorganic chem, etc. However my overall GPA is still super low( around 3.15).

I did my first 3 years in community college getting C after C in my prereqs. At UC I got As in classes like biochemistry, physical chemistry, inorganic chem, etc. However my overall GPA is still super low( around 3.15).

I get what you mean. I have an MS in cell bio. But my GPA is 3.27. Its higher than my uGPA which is like 2.87. I would say check with a few advisors and I don't think it would hurt to take the program if you continue the trend. I have an upward trend but obviously it needs to be better. I also still need to take the MCAT.

My premed advisors at university told me an SMP would be very beneficial so I think I'm definately doing an SMP. The question is whether to start wayne st now or wait some more for word back from Georgetown, BU, Tulane, Tufts, etc. which all start summer or fall.

I was thinking of possibly doing 20 credits at wayne by end of summer so I can send out an application in August by latest.

You cab defer your first semester as well.

Understand now. I was reading your OP as you having a 3.7+ and a 31 currently.

Does anyone know why the linkage is only ~33% to WSU. Are people not getting 3.7+ in the program or are they applying elsewhere?

I would like to know that too.

Do people usually live downtown or commute? Is it safe to live around the school?

I'm guessing a lot of people commute, but the area around the school is safe. Midtown is a great neighborhood and there's a large police presence around the campus at all times.

I'm guessing a lot of people commute, but the area around the school is safe. Midtown is a great neighborhood and there's a large police presence around the campus at all times.

I'm commuting from Novi.

Anyone here just get out of orientation today?

I'm commuting from Plymouth. I went to orientation yesterday, had my advising session today, and registered for classes when I got home.

I'm commuting from Novi as well. What classes is everyone taking?

I'm in Patho, Immuno, and Neuro. Only 8 credits, but my friends who are in the program or have completed it all told me to take it fairly easy my first semester.

Hey peeps, I was just accepted today actually and obviously did not get to go to orientation. Anyone have the list of electives?