Wayne State BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here want to talk about how the first semester went? Also, has anyone been meeting with Dawn in admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking Neuro and physio II. I am trying to get over to Dawn's office soon. Maybe after next week's tests.

Do you guys know if there is a glide year if you apply to Wayne state med? Also how do you guys that started last month like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump, anyone else applying, or is in the program that is willing to share their thoughts?

One last bump before I give up for good haha

Hey Turkelton!
I'm currently waiting to hear back... I am confused on whether it's a rolling admissions process or we all have to wait until after the deadline, June 1st, to hear anything. Anyone know the answer to this?

I also got accepted into Case Western's program, but that's out of state for me so it'll be a tough choice if I get in (although Wayne is currently my top choice)!

Hey Turkelton!
I'm currently waiting to hear back... I am confused on whether it's a rolling admissions process or we all have to wait until after the deadline, June 1st, to hear anything. Anyone know the answer to this?

I also got accepted into Case Western's program, but that's out of state for me so it'll be a tough choice if I get in (although Wayne is currently my top choice)!

Yay there's another one! :laugh:

Congrats on your Case acceptance, looks like a great program. Do you know if they email you when your app is complete? There are a lot of unchecked boxes on the status page (Like Miltary Discharge Papers when I was never in the military:confused:) but all the big things I would think they need are checked off.

The Wayne app does not tell you or email you when it is complete, although I did once call the graduate admissions office to ask them what else they needed from me and they were very helpful. The application is first reviewed by the graduate school itself before being sent to the BMS committee, so not all of the boxes have to be checked for that initially review. They need all your paperwork when it gets to the BMS reviewing part. I would call and also email the BMS admins to make sure and be clear on the specifics.

I was thinking about that as well, I'm getting all my materials together and when I do apply, do I have to wait in agony until the deadline??

I also wonder how competitive this program is? I've been reading and all the info has basically said they accept 2/3 applicants but I'm not sure how true that is.

I was accepted yesterday after being complete for about a month. My stats are pretty good (good enough for DO schools) but I don't think it takes too much to be competitive. I've been under the impression that their admission is pretty open. Over a 3.0 and a decent mcat (>25) should get you in. I'm not sure of gre or dat scores, but if they are almost good enough to get you into a health professional school, they should get you into the BMS Program.

How well is this programs unofficial linkage to wayne state or helping get you into other medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted yesterday after being complete for about a month. My stats are pretty good (good enough for DO schools) but I don't think it takes too much to be competitive. I've been under the impression that their admission is pretty open. Over a 3.0 and a decent mcat (>25) should get you in. I'm not sure of gre or dat scores, but if they are almost good enough to get you into a health professional school, they should get you into the BMS Program.

Thanks! I've been trying to ask the graduate office this for a while, but I can never seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks! I've been trying to ask the graduate office this for a while, but I can never seem to get a straight answer.

Mind if I ask what your stats were?

Supposedly, this program is look upon pretty favorably among adcomms so if you get in and do well, you should be all set to go.

Congrats! How did you know your application was compete?

Damn, my gpa is under a 3.0 (2.8) but my MCAT is a 31, really hoping I have a shot:scared:

Congrats! How did you know your application was compete?

Damn, my gpa is under a 3.0 (2.8) but my MCAT is a 31, really hoping I have a shot:scared:

I had no idea it was complete since half those boxes were still unchecked, but i had all the important stuff turned in and I applied to their medical school so they already had a lot of info on me.

Didn't mean to scare you. I think you have a great shot at getting in.

I had no idea it was complete since half those boxes were still unchecked, but i had all the important stuff turned in and I applied to their medical school so they already had a lot of info on me.

Didn't mean to scare you. I think you have a great shot at getting in.

Thanks! Think I'm gonna be scared regardless until I get in somewhere haha. Did the acceptance come via a letter or just the online status?

Thanks! Think I'm gonna be scared regardless until I get in somewhere haha. Did the acceptance come via a letter or just the online status?

It was an email saying my status had changed, then I had to go into the application portal to check.

Does anyone know if its possible to get into waynes med school after one year in the program or do you have to complete both to be considered?

All this talk of acceptances already means that they are sending them out in waves.
Now I'm nervous... :oops: My stats are not the greatest...

The wait sucks!!!!! Also applied to OU graduate certificate in biomedical sciences as a backup.

T ou can do a year just be at 3.7 or above

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Has anyone contacted the school on when acceptances will be going out? Just curious if it's rolling admissions or set offer dates.

I believe a mid June, does ur WSU app show when they viewed ur app? I'm confused about the status date.

I believe a mid June, does ur WSU app show when they viewed ur app? I'm confused about the status date.

Ugh hope it comes a bit sooner than that. Does you're say decision pending? Mine just has a random date 2 weeks ago next to it.

Mine says April 1 decision pending, it hasn't changed since then!

Ugh hope it comes a bit sooner than that. Does you're say decision pending? Mine just has a random date 2 weeks ago next to it.

I just called, the date next to decision pending is just the that the university made ur application viewable to the BMS program.

I just called, the date next to decision pending is just the that the university made ur application viewable to the BMS program.

Thanks! do you think that means your app is complete and passed the initial evaluation by the general grad school admissions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I thought apps were due by June. I think its a bit early yet. It didnt take that long for them to get back to me

I thought apps were due by June. I think its a bit early yet. It didnt take that long for them to get back to me

Hm guess I'm just impatient haha. How do you like the program so far?

Thanks! do you think that means your app is complete and passed the initial evaluation by the general grad school admissions?

No I don't think that is what it means, but my app is complete ... I think I started my app in late March. Kinda late, I was occupied with the DAT.

No I don't think that is what it means, but my app is complete ... I think I started my app in late March. Kinda late, I was occupied with the DAT.

Ah kk thanks, hell I applied in early May so I was really late. Looking at past years threads the earliest I've seen people getting acceptances is June 6th, so hopefully we will hear something by the end of this week.

Does anyone know what percentage of students in this program get into MD/DO/Dental school? I know that ~30% get into Wayne State medical school, but does anyone know about acceptance numbers into other schools?

For anyone that was in the program, do you have a rough idea of how many got accepted somewhere?

I'm trying to pick between this program and Loyola MAMS. Any advice/information would be much appreciated :)

edit: wanted to add that if anyone has information on how medical school adcomms view this program that would be helpful as well

Last edited:
Ah kk thanks, hell I applied in early May so I was really late. Looking at past years threads the earliest I've seen people getting acceptances is June 6th, so hopefully we will hear something by the end of this week.

That would take so much stress off my shoulders!!!!!

That would take so much stress off my shoulders!!!!!

:xf: Would sure make the rest of my summer quite a bit less stressful if I got in here.

Has anyone had any luck getting a response from the general inquiry email? Sent an email last week with no response so I'm wondering if there is another email people are using to get status updates?

Woo I got an email this morning saying a comment had been added to my app, logged in and found a message saying I've been admitted!! :D

Woo I got an email this morning saying a comment had been added to my app, logged in and found a message saying I've been admitted!! :D
Congratulations! My boyfriend was accepted today as well! Hopefully everyone hears good news!

Congratulations! My boyfriend was accepted today as well! Hopefully everyone hears good news!

Thanks! I'm kinda freaking out though because they said they need a transcript with the degree on it before enrollment and my graduation isnt officially until october :scared: Emailed them today asking if a letter saying I've fulfilled me degree requirements is enough so hopefully it works out.

Edit: Just looked at the letter and they said I didn't have to submit my transcript till the end of first semester so I'm all set. So excited to start!

Last edited:
Is anyone else moving to Detroit for this program? I am looking at apartments in Royal Oak, Midtown and Windsor and would like to have a roommate if any one else is looking.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!:)

Hopefully you hear some good news too by the end of the week!

Last edited:
Is anyone else moving to Detroit for this program? I am looking at apartments in Royal Oak, Midtown and Windsor and would like to have a roommate if any one else is looking.

Thanks!:)

Hopefully you hear some good news too by the end of the week!

Congrats DrTurkelton!
I also applied in early May, so I hope to hear back soon. :)

Thanks! I remember you saying you already got in to case, which is your top choice?

I think Wayne is currently my top choice... I would be able to commute from home and save more money. However, Case, in my opinion, has a lot more to offer its students. That's why I'm not completely sure what I will end up doing. It'll be a tough choice, that's for sure. I'm hoping the next wave of acceptances for Wayne will be in mid June (continuing the trend from previous years) and I'll be able to talk with an advisor over there soon!

Does anyone know where classes will be for this program? i.e., main campus or medical campus?

Depends on what classes you take.