Wayne State BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canuck1232

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm curious to see who out there is going to be attending Wayne state in August with me! We can post here about school, roomates, etc. later we can make a Facebook group for us or something like last years class.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone actually gotten any info from the school after the initial acceptance update? Where is everyone planning on living?

Still looking for a roommate!

I'm going here next year. From SE Michigan so I'll be commuting. Did you guys register for classes already?

Members don't see this ad :)
I signed up for physio and biochem. Is there an orientation or something?

Has anyone actually gotten any info from the school after the initial acceptance update? Where is everyone planning on living?

Still looking for a roommate!

Hello, I will also be attending in the fall. Just signed a lease for an apartment in Romulus so I will be commuting.

I haven't heard anything back after getting my official acceptance, which is weird because I've emailed Brenda twice telling her that I am accepting and am planning on attending orientation in August. Anyone else having similar problems?

On another note:

-Does anyone know how parking works? Am I best off buying a parking pass if I am commuting?
-Anyone want to create a Facebook group?

I signed up for physio and biochem. Is there an orientation or something?

Yep, there is orientation on August 23. In the initial letter it says to not sign up for classes until then (but it's probably not a problem if you already did, I'm sure you can switch it around later)

I believe that there is a round of acceptances to be sent out today, heads up!

I will see you at the orientation :)

I'll be applying to start in winter!

3.55 cGPA/sGPA and 26 MCAT (9/7/10).

Last edited:
Hey all,

I started Wayne's BMS program last Fall, and I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have. I'll try and check this often, just thought I'd help if I can.

I posted this in the wrong thread...

Hey guys, has anyone (previous years or this year) applied really late?

This is a last minute back up plan for me as I apply to med school since I was not really planning on applying to med school so late but I had a lot of personal issues which hindered my application submission in June (deaths/weddings/illness etc). But about 70% of my app was done in early June and my issue has been the profs that were suppose to write my letter of Rec's from the winter semester gave me a run around and now have been out of their offices for the past 3 weeks. I had to reinitiate a few letters and just have 1 prof left who said he will send one soon.

My understanding is that they don't look at your application until it is 100% complete? My application still says Fall 2013 even though when I started the app in June it was after the Fall Deadline. I feel like in the fall semester I will only have 1 class (my last class of under grad) which is only 2 credits and I wanted to get a start on this BMS program.

I posted this in the wrong thread...

Hey guys, has anyone (previous years or this year) applied really late?

This is a last minute back up plan for me as I apply to med school since I was not really planning on applying to med school so late but I had a lot of personal issues which hindered my application submission in June (deaths/weddings/illness etc). But about 70% of my app was done in early June and my issue has been the profs that were suppose to write my letter of Rec's from the winter semester gave me a run around and now have been out of their offices for the past 3 weeks. I had to reinitiate a few letters and just have 1 prof left who said he will send one soon.

My understanding is that they don't look at your application until it is 100% complete? My application still says Fall 2013 even though when I started the app in June it was after the Fall Deadline. I feel like in the fall semester I will only have 1 class (my last class of under grad) which is only 2 credits and I wanted to get a start on this BMS program.
Same question. What does it mean by having the app complete? I won't be graduating until June '14 , but can I still start my app around March/May '14 and send them the rest of my transcripts after I graduate which will be a couple weeks after June 1st? Do they still accept applicants who send their apps a couple weeks after June 1st to enroll in the following Fall semester? Or would I have to wait for the October 1st deadline to send in my completed app??

Hey all,

I started Wayne's BMS program last Fall, and I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have. I'll try and check this often, just thought I'd help if I can.

Can you tell us about the classes you took?

Any chance you took Metabolism (CHM 7620) or Molecular bio and genetics (MBG 7010) or heard about how those classes are? I've heard MBG is really hard, have you heard the same thing?

Sorry for the late response.

Classes I took:

Fall 2012: Physiology I, Biochem, Biological Physics (this is an undergrad/grad course which I got permission to take)

Winter 2013: Physiology II, Pharmacology, Immunology

This amounted to 22 credits, which I then used to apply to medical schools. Waiting on schools right now, with Wayne being my number 1 choice (fingers crossed).

Any specific questions about classes I'd be happy to answer.

Hey all,

Do you know if its possible to get into BMS with 25 MCAT scores? If so, can they get matriculated into Wayne State Medical School without having to retake the MCAT? Thanks.

You can most likely get accepted to Wayne's BMS program with a 25 MCAT. However, the BMS program is really meant for those with less-than-stellar undergraduate GPA's who want to show medical schools they can handle the rigor of med school coursework. Therefore, an ideal BMS applicant would have a good ( >30) MCAT score but not so good GPA. I don't think a 25 MCAT would help you matriculate into any MD school, even if you 4.0 the BMS program. I suggest a retake.

Do you know if its possible to get into BMS with 25 MCAT scores? If so, can they get matriculated into Wayne State Medical School without having to retake the MCAT? Thanks.

So I am applying, Just started my application today. I made an appointment with the admissions counselor about a month ago and she told me that they will not only accept the MCAT, but the DAT, PCAT, and GRE as well. I have decided to take the GRE to get into the program. Has anyone here also applied or know anyone that as applied with a GRE score? Whats considered a good GRE score? My cumulative GPA is 2.94, so I'm just shy of the 3.0, and she told me that I can still apply with that, its just my standardized exam score have to be a little higher than average. If anyone wants to the know average acceptance for those exams let me know, and I will post them here. I don't have them in front of me at the moment.

So nervous apply.. :scared:

If anyone wants to the know average acceptance for those exams let me know, and I will post them here. I don't have them in front of me at the moment.

Can you please post what's the acceptable MCAT and GRE score?

Can you please post what's the acceptable MCAT and GRE score?

Yeah sure. I have been getting a lot of requests for this in my DM but I have been really busy lately, but here they are. the MCAT is 28, with +/- 4, the DAT is 18 +/- 2, the GRE is 57th Percentile, +/- 17, and for the PCAT I was told that there aren't many people who apply with that so it would have to be up to the admission committee.

You can most likely get accepted to Wayne's BMS program with a 25 MCAT. However, the BMS program is really meant for those with less-than-stellar undergraduate GPA's who want to show medical schools they can handle the rigor of med school coursework. Therefore, an ideal BMS applicant would have a good ( >30) MCAT score but not so good GPA. I don't think a 25 MCAT would help you matriculate into any MD school, even if you 4.0 the BMS program. I suggest a retake.

Have you heard about Systemic Pathophysiology with Palmer, Kenneth; Roy; and Molecular Biology of Viruses with Yoshimura, Fayth or Endocrinology?How was the difficult levels of Immunology with Sundick?