Wayne State BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply. My weak point is all the vocab, having a lot of trouble with that, I'm the opposite, math is really strong point. Yeah I did explain why my grades aren't in the stellar side. Taking the exam 2mrw so we'll see how it goes. I feel ready. I'll report back soon after my application is completed. :)

Good luck! Just remember to relax and always take breaks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Does anyone know if graduates of this program successfully matriculate into medical schools outside of Michigan? I'm really interested in this program, but I'd like to keep my options open(in terms of medical schools). I'd love to be accepted into Wayne State SOM, but I'd like to avoid putting all my eggs in one basket. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to those who got in!

1) Did you apply to other programs?
2) Why did you choose this program over others?
3) Is the area safe to live in? (I've only been around there area once to go to the Art museum. It didn't seem too bad, but I've heard/ read some bad stories, so any insight would be appreciated)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got in!

1) Did you apply to other programs?
2) Why did you choose this program over others?
3) Is the area safe to live in? (I've only been around there area once to go to the Art museum. It didn't seem too bad, but I've heard/ read some bad stories, so any insight would be appreciated)

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, haven't really been checking the forums lately.. By now you probably have already made your decision but for what it's worth here's what i think (based on my undergrad experience couple of years ago)..

1) Applied to Barry (Florida), got accepted but declined since i'm considered out of state and it's pretty expensive..

2) i only applied to wsu and barry (dental).. I didn't really look at other programs as my DAT was great and i just needed maybe a year or two of slight gpa improvement to be competitive.. Most programs cost an arm and a leg for the same courses that I will be taking at Wayne..

3) I commuted while I was in undergrad and had the option to take early morning and late night classes (till 9pm).. On campus it's pretty much safe as wayne police patrol the area around the clock.. I only felt unease when i had to walk 15 mins to get to the parking structure after spending the night at the library. Other than that I was never approached by anybody or was "attacked".. As long as you don't flash expensive stuff you're pretty much safe... If you're staying on campus late, try to walk with a friend to your destination and stay in places where there are a lot students hanging around..

is anyone applying for the winter semester 2015? my application is complete just waiting to hear back

I start the BMS program in the winter and wanted to know which courses I should register for.

I am a psychology major with not only pre-dental pre requisites completed. I have not taken any physiology or anatomy courses as an undergrad. Only took cell bio, micro bio and biochemistry courses. I want to know if I will be able to succeed in this program granted I put in the work.

Please suggest courses that I could register for in the winter. I have seen it mentioned above that endocrinology is relatively easy (are they referring to PSL 7680?). I was also thinking of taking PSL 7030 because I have been told to stay away from immunology during my first semester.

Also, if anyone has old notes/exams/lectures from the program PLEASE PLEASE dm me and I can give you my email so that you can send me that stuff. I really want to go to dental school folks and am very determined but my situation with my poor grades is holding me back and I don't want to mess up this program so please help me.

Thank you

I start the BMS program in the winter and wanted to know which courses I should register for.

I am a psychology major with not only pre-dental pre requisites completed. I have not taken any physiology or anatomy courses as an undergrad. Only took cell bio, micro bio and biochemistry courses. I want to know if I will be able to succeed in this program granted I put in the work.

Please suggest courses that I could register for in the winter. I have seen it mentioned above that endocrinology is relatively easy (are they referring to PSL 7680?). I was also thinking of taking PSL 7030 because I have been told to stay away from immunology during my first semester.

Also, if anyone has old notes/exams/lectures from the program PLEASE PLEASE dm me and I can give you my email so that you can send me that stuff. I really want to go to dental school folks and am very determined but my situation with my poor grades is holding me back and I don't want to mess up this program so please help me.

Thank you

I would take grad phy 2 (I know someone else who started spring and took this) and anther elective, maybe something from the core to begin working on that.

You won't mess up the program if you put the time in. It's a lot of material, but none of it is incredibly conceptually hard. Just make sure to study evey day and treat it like your job. I can look up the sample schedule later and post a pic of it online, but feel free to message/post any questions and I'll try to get the answers :)

Hey all!

Was a former BMS student. Just today got accepted into Wayne State's Medical School formally!!!

Happy to answer any questions you guys have about the program. Best of luck!

Congrats! Question: have you taken Systemic Pathophysiology with Palmer, Kenneth; Immunology with Sundick, Roy; and Molecular Biology of Viruses with Yoshimura, Fayth? How were the difficult levels of these courses? Are there any classes that you recommend that are not difficult to get an A?

Btw, I highly recommend that you look into Functional Medicine, they give you the knowledge and tools to find the root cause of illnesses and give you the tools to reverse their disease; much better than the conventional approach, "A pill for every ill" which usually only deals with symptoms.

I have a friend who is second year MSU med school who took Immuno when he was in the BMS and he said for a two credit course, Immuno was a lot of work but he said with studying he was scoring in 90's on exams but I didn't get much more information than that. I would also like more information on these courses but for now Im scheduled for Physiology II and Pharmacology.

Congrats! Question: have you taken Systemic Pathophysiology with Palmer, Kenneth; Immunology with Sundick, Roy; and Molecular Biology of Viruses with Yoshimura, Fayth? How were the difficult levels of these courses? Are there any classes that you recommend that are not difficult to get an A?

Btw, I highly recommend that you look into Functional Medicine, they give you the knowledge and tools to find the root cause of illnesses and give you the tools to reverse their disease; much better than the conventional approach, "A pill for every ill" which usually only deals with symptoms.

I have a question, I am predental and graduated from michigan state in may 2014. I took the DAT and scored 17 . I rushed myself and did not give myself enough time to study. I am going to retake the DAT in march and hopefully do much better. I graduated with a hard science major so my gpa is around 3.22 and science 2.98.

1) I will be applying to dental schools June 1, 2015. Will dental school look highly on the fact that I will be doing this masters in my year waiting to hear back?

2)Also should I apply early, or should i wait until my new DAT score in march?

3) Does any the previous students know many ppl who got accepted to dental schools while in the program?

Thanks so much!

Does this program have a contract matriculation into their med school if you meet a certain level of performance?

Does this program have a contract matriculation into their med school if you meet a certain level of performance?

No, there's no linkage. But if you do well in the program, you look good for the med school. I can post the paper that gave us at orientation later today :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418681623.140649.jpg

Is this your first year of the program?

Yup! I just finished my first semester and am enrolled for my second. I'm doing this program a little differently than most, so feel free to message me for more details on that.

I think this program is best for those that need to seriously show some improvement, as opposed to an SMP which shows that you can handle the rigor. Several people turned down SMPs so they could have a lower course load and work. Most people apply after their first year.

Also, wayne is serious about the 20 credit rule, so take that into consideration.

Do any students know anyone who took the mcat after the first year in the program? Im planning on doing this program and wanted to put the mcat off (because of my current work situation) but I didn't realize most students took the summer anatomy course. I definitely don't want to juggle both at the same time.

Also, any updates on how the year is going? Does it seem like most people are succeeding in the program? The only person I've met who has done this program didn't have many good things to say

Hello all,

I am a current student at the Wayne state BMS program, and in my second semester. I am doing well, and my study habits have been more efficient since undergrad. However, having extra exam questions from previous years would be very helpful and appreciated if anyone has old exams/questions from any of the years. I am currently enrolled in physio 2 and endocrine but plan on taking anatomy in the summer and still haven't decided what the plan is for fall 2015. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Hi! Can I ask what your GPA was with your 22 credits of BMS?

Hey all!

Was a former BMS student. Just today got accepted into Wayne State's Medical School formally!!!

Happy to answer any questions you guys have about the program. Best of luck!

This is a little late but does anyone know the start and end dates for each semester of the BMS program? I am a senior right now and I am taking a gap year and I'm trying to see if I can still apply for the BMS program! Any help would be great!

For fall admissions they recommend applying by June 1st. For winter admission they recommend October 1st. If you apply now you will be applying for fall admission.

How did people who took Pharmacology (PHC 7010) study for the course? Use the textbook or just focus on the lectures?

Yup! I just finished my first semester and am enrolled for my second. I'm doing this program a little differently than most, so feel free to message me for more details on that.

I think this program is best for those that need to seriously show some improvement, as opposed to an SMP which shows that you can handle the rigor. Several people turned down SMPs so they could have a lower course load and work. Most people apply after their first year.

Also, wayne is serious about the 20 credit rule, so take that into consideration.

So how long in total did it take you to finish the whole program?

As for the 20 credit rule, if i start during the winter, seems like its unlikely to finish 20 credit before June to apply for the next cycle?

Do other med schools also have this policy? I saw a lot of people start their SMP after they submit their app for that year and update their grades to schools.

I'd really appreciate it if you can give me more information on that, since I'm debating if its worth doing it!