Wayne State BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottosucceed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured it was time to make a forum for this year since acceptances have started rolling in.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, people have heard back? Was it through email?

I got my acceptance email last week. I also got accepted into Wayne's MS in physiology program. Does anyone know the pros and cons of each one? Which one should I choose? My ultimate goal is just to get into med school. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance email last week. I also got accepted into Wayne's MS in physiology program. Does anyone know the pros and cons of each one? Which one should I choose? My ultimate goal is just to get into med school. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

The BMS program is a better choice. It can be completed in three semesters, whereas the MS Phys is two full academic years. Also, I spoke with an admissions rep at the Med School and she said the best programs for GPA repair or prep for med school is one that does not focus strictly on phys, but to take a variety of med school level courses (especially biochem, which you take in BMS). The only person I know who did the MS Phys did it because she didn't get into BMS.

The BMS program is a better choice. It can be completed in three semesters, whereas the MS Phys is two full academic years. Also, I spoke with an admissions rep at the Med School and she said the best programs for GPA repair or prep for med school is one that does not focus strictly on phys, but to take a variety of med school level courses (especially biochem, which you take in BMS). The only person I know who did the MS Phys did it because she didn't get into BMS.

Thanks for that information. I have another question, how competitive is admission to the BMS program?

Thanks for that information. I have another question, how competitive is admission to the BMS program?
I have no idea really, but I assume not super competitive. What are your stats like?

I have no idea really, but I assume not super competitive. What are your stats like?

I have a 3.2 and a 28 MCAT. I've already been accepted though. I know they are aiming for 100 in the fall class. I just wanted to see how competitive it was. It doesn't really matter though.

Yeah I heard back a little over a week ago. They added a comment to my application and later sent an email. It's "temporary admittance" granted I send my final transcript

Brenda told me my decision was deferred until I submit my current semester grades. I really hope I get it, I have heard such great things about the program!

I hope submitting a later application wont hurt me. I haven't taken the MCAT yet so I will be taking the GRE within the next month, which already puts me at a disadvantage. Hopefully my decent GPA makes up for it. Also I emailed admissions with a few questions about the program twice over the past few months and they never responded lol

They are slow at getting back, and it's only one woman who does any of the replies! Don't worry, she will eventually get back to you if you email Brenda Cannon directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty hard trying to decide between this program and Michigan's MS in Physiology.

It's pretty hard trying to decide between this program and Michigan's MS in Physiology.
I applied to Michigan, and didn't get in, so maybe I would be singing a different tune if I had. BUT, from what I have gleaned on here, both will accomplish giving you graduate level science to enhance your GPA. However, Wayne's has been around much longer, and is very well respected by the in state med schools (especially MSU CHM & Wayne SOM). When I spoke with an in-state med school admissions counselor, she said to be careful if you do a program that's just Phys. They want to see you can handle ALL med school type classes not just one. Wayne's has a much more diverse curriculum, but I think if you choose your electives right at UM you could make them similar. Although I love my alma matter, I think if I had gotten into Michigan, Wayne would still be my top choice. Program repuation + success stories I have heard tip the scales in their favor for me.

Nevermind that just figured it out.

Last edited:
Somone should make an FB group for everyone starting fall 2015!

Those of you that have applied/gotten accepted into the BMS program for this year, are you also applying to med/dental school this summer or waiting till after you're done with the program?

Those of you that have applied/gotten accepted into the BMS program for this year, are you also applying to med/dental school this summer or waiting till after you're done with the program?
Wayne is very serious about the 20 credit rule. They won't even look at your app if you are in BMS and do not have 20 credits posted on your transcript. I am applying to some DO schools, but not wayne until next cycle.

I see you're pre-dent, I read in a past years thread that someone got into umich dental after 1 semester in this program.

I see you're pre-dent, I read in a past years thread that someone got into umich dental after 1 semester in this program.
Wow really? That sounds great! I just finished my application for the BMS program yesterday so I really hope to hear back soon!

Hello all! Although I have yet to formally commit to the BMS program, I was recently accepted and decided to make a FB group so we could discuss the BMS program and get to know each other. Just search Wayne State BMS 2015-2016 and request to join! Good luck to those of you waiting to hear back! @femmegoblue

Hello all! Although I have yet to formally commit to the BMS program, I was recently accepted and decided to make a FB group so we could discuss the BMS program and get to know each other. Just search Wayne State BMS 2015-2016 and request to join! Good luck to those of you waiting to hear back! @femmegoblue
It won't come up! Can you link it here? Thanks :)

Hey all. I am compiling a list of programs to apply to during my gap year. I have heard a bunch of things regarding the 20 credit deal and I was wondering if someone could explain to me what the deal is? Like do we take 20 credits and then apply? Will a glide year after the post bacc be necessary? I would prefer to apply to medical school during my post bacc/smp/etc.

Last edited:
Hey all. I am compiling a list of programs to apply to during my gap year. I have heard a bunch of things regarding the 20 credit deal and I was wondering if someone could explain to me what the deal is? Like do we take 20 credits and then apply? Will a glide year after the post bacc be necessary? I would prefer to apply to medical school during my post bacc/smp/etc.
Wayne State SOM is strict about the 20 credit rule. You must apply after 20 posted credits, which would mean you have a year in between applying and matriculating in which you can finish the program.

I am applying DO during the program, and applying to MD and Wayne State AFTER 20 credits (aka next cycle). I know one person who completed in a year and applied MD during the program but Wayne still wouldn't look at her app without 20 BMS credits posted. It kind of depends on how strong your credentials are going in, but in order to get the "fulf effect" of the program, apply AFTER 20 posted credits.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still stuck at "Decision Pending" on the app for Wayne's BMS. I submitted everything in the last few days of May before the deadline and completed the application
I'm not sure if I will hear back by mid-June or even later

Anyone in a similar scenario?

I'm still stuck at "Decision Pending" on the app for Wayne's BMS. I submitted everything in the last few days of May before the deadline and completed the application
I'm not sure if I will hear back by mid-June or even later

Anyone in a similar scenario?
Hey I am too but there's a comment posted (all the way on the bottom of the page) that says congrats and orientation info from Brenda. Scroll down and see if you see one of those. If not, you should give Brenda a call to see what the status is on your application getting reviewed.

The girls that work in that office are so effing dumb. I submitted everything late may and the girl told me I was all set and that my application was complete and that I should be hearing back within two weeks. I called two weeks later and the same girl goes "oh i was just about to email you" when she really wasn't because thats what she says each time I call and she says that my application actually wasn't complete and that I need another LOR. I was soo pissed like why would you tell me my application was complete when its not? Even on the website it says I met all of the LOR requirements and she said that she hasn't even put my app in the pile to be reviewed. You should CALL THE OFFICE EVERYDAY! The girls there are really messy and don't give 2 craps about the people whether they get accepted or not.

The girls that work in that office are so effing dumb. I submitted everything late may and the girl told me I was all set and that my application was complete and that I should be hearing back within two weeks. I called two weeks later and the same girl goes "oh i was just about to email you" when she really wasn't because thats what she says each time I call and she says that my application actually wasn't complete and that I need another LOR. I was soo pissed like why would you tell me my application was complete when its not? Even on the website it says I met all of the LOR requirements and she said that she hasn't even put my app in the pile to be reviewed. You should CALL THE OFFICE EVERYDAY! The girls there are really messy and don't give 2 craps about the people whether they get accepted or not.

At least they responded to you. I have emailed them a few times over the past few months and have never received a response. Needless to say, I won't be attending

At least they responded to you. I have emailed them a few times over the past few months and have never received a response. Needless to say, I won't be attending
Yeah they're really bad with email, that's why I always call and it's come to a point where the girl knows who I am right when I call.

I just got accepted into the BMS program and plan on taking BMB 7010 and MBG 7010 to start. However, I will also be working around 30 hours per week. Does anyone know if it is advisable to take this route?

I just got accepted into the BMS program and plan on taking BMB 7010 and MBG 7010 to start. However, I will also be working around 30 hours per week. Does anyone know if it is advisable to take this route?
I heard that most people take PSL 7010 and MBG 7010. From what I hear it's plausible to work part time and do the 8 credits, but 30 sounds like a whole lot. I am taking two I mentioned, but then again I haven't done biochem before so maybe you would be good with 30 hours if you have biochem experience?

Did any of you also consider Toledo MSBS or the MS at the University of Michigan? I'm not sure how different they all are or which one's better

Did any of you also consider Toledo MSBS or the MS at the University of Michigan? I'm not sure how different they all are or which one's better
I applied to all three. Didn't get into Michigan, and still waiting to hear from Toledo. A month ago I would have told you I'd do Toledo in a heartbeat, but with all the recent drama I'm not so sure.

I'm guessing some people might stick to Wayne's over Toledo. I feel like that $50k only gets you a guaranteed interview, and nothing more than that

Are any of you guys thinking of enrolling in an intro ethics class, because it will be required at wayne SOM for fall 2017? I was thinking of doing it maybe over next summer, depending on what you guys are doing.

Does anyone work part-time while doing the BMS program?

I've seen that a lot of people here do 8 credits in Fall, 8 in Winter, and then 4 in Spring.

Hey guys, I've looked into this program a little and am wondering if it would be possible to also take pre-reqs for medical/pharmacy school while in the program? I have a science degree but am still missing several pre-reqs and also have a few undergrad courses I'd like to retake if possible

Hey guys, I've looked into this program a little and am wondering if it would be possible to also take pre-reqs for medical/pharmacy school while in the program? I have a science degree but am still missing several pre-reqs and also have a few undergrad courses I'd like to retake if possible
I would say this program isn't for you. Everyone already has their pre-reqs and it would be near impossible to do while in the program. Do you pre-reqs and retakes to get your GPA up, and only do this Master's after as a last resort.

I would say this program isn't for you. Everyone already has their pre-reqs and it would be near impossible to do while in the program. Do you pre-reqs and retakes to get your GPA up, and only do this Master's after as a last resort.
Thanks for the information

Are people taking 8 credits in Fall/Winter, and then 4 crds Anatomy in Spring/Summer to get a total of 20 Credits overall?

Is this recommended? The BMS anatomy class ends in July, and that seems to be very late for submitting the AMCAS primary

Can anyone opine on the ability of the BMS program to improve the chances of an OOS matriculating into Wayne State for medical school? I have spoken to the program director but would just like to get the second opinion of those who have successfully matriculated into WSSOM.

I am a non-traditional student w/ a 3.55 CUM, 3.75 BCPM, 3.88 PB GPA, and lots of clinical (scribe for 1.25 years at a level I trauma center) and volunteering (450+ hours across 2 gigs that I have been engaged with for the past 2 years) experience. I also have 3 years of work experience in financial services, specifically in investment banking/research. I will be taking the MCAT in August 2016, prior to the start of the program, and would love to have the opportunity to complete upper level graduate coursework and get a solid foundation in research during my application year and subsequent gap year. I would ideally like to matriculate into the institution in August 2018.

You don't need this program. Knock out your MCAT (510+) and you have a good shot at wayne.

My decision to enter this program is personal and slightly unorthodox. Successful matriculation will provide me with the opportunity to quit my current job in financial services (which I deplore) while committing myself wholeheartedly to the medical field. I would like to use the program to gain a solid research base in a school surgical lab on the graduate level and maintain this continuity into my M3/M4 years. I have spoken to the director who has assured me that this is quite easy to do. I have also applied to Temple's ACMS program and would love to cement my transition into the medical field by August 2016 at the latest.

Would you mind letting me know if this program helps an OOS matriculate into WSSOM? I understand that WS is a state school but I was wondering if BMS attendance would alter the view of the adcom towards an OOS in any capacity.

I am not sure if they publish any IS/OOS information. Your best bet would be to directly email Dawn Yargeau at [email protected]

She has been very helpful in letting me know where I stand. Typically, WSUSOM needs to see a 3.7 and at least a 29 (or 505) to be competitive for their med school after 20 credits in the program. I have yet to meet a person in our program who is not from Michigan, so I am not sure how things work for OOS applicants. Email Dawn ASAP.

That being said, the program is wonderful. It has helped me truly learn the information and feel like a real scientist. I know I will have a leg up first year of medical school because of it.

I am not sure if they publish any IS/OOS information. Your best bet would be to directly email Dawn Yargeau at [email protected]

She has been very helpful in letting me know where I stand. Typically, WSUSOM needs to see a 3.7 and at least a 29 (or 505) to be competitive for their med school after 20 credits in the program. I have yet to meet a person in our program who is not from Michigan, so I am not sure how things work for OOS applicants. Email Dawn ASAP.

That being said, the program is wonderful. It has helped me truly learn the information and feel like a real scientist. I know I will have a leg up first year of medical school because of it.

Thank you for the insight. I am reaching out to Mrs. Yargeau and I will report any feedback for future OOS to utilize. The program really seems like a fantastic way to take advantage of adequate research opportunities and take classes that would give one a leg up in the basic sciences segment of medical school. Do you think that obtaining research as a BMS student is feasible and easy? I would really like to get involved in projects and stay productive in my 2 years as a BMS student.

Personally I don't do research, but a former BMS student told me she reached out to a professor whose work she thought was interesting and he hired her to do research. There's a grant specifically for BMS students for in between first and second year to do research in biomedical sciences and get paid for it! It's all what you make of it.

Personally I don't do research, but a former BMS student told me she reached out to a professor whose work she thought was interesting and he hired her to do research. There's a grant specifically for BMS students for in between first and second year to do research in biomedical sciences and get paid for it! It's all what you make of it.
Oh wow! I really hope that Mrs. Yargeau's email ends up yielding a positive response. I would love to do unpaid research till the summer and then continue in the lab over the summer/the following year in a paid capacity.