Wayne State Reputation/Opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I concerned this is going to sound like one of those "#humblebrag" threads, but I'm actually seeking serious input, because I'm not sure what to do/how much to sacrifice.

I applied for 15 clinical PhD programs and have received interview invitations to 10 of them. While this astounds and delights and flatters me, it's also completely killed my bank account (I had saved enough for about 3-4 plane tickets, max). I've committed to 8 of them, declined 1 (it was the very bottom of my list and conflicted with another day, and frankly I'm running out of possible rescheduling days in February, my calendar looks insane). Today I got an invite to interview at Wayne State (this is the 10th and, I believe, the last).

I know very little about Wayne State other than what the website states, which includes the rather concerning info that I will likely have to pay for about 10% of my tuition while there (but otherwise I seem to get a stipend + is funded, like all other programs I applied for). They have a pretty solid match rate, but not the safest location (Detroit). I believe I have an excellent fit with my POI. I'd love any details about the school. I could technically afford it, but it would mean a minimal food budget for me for a few months. What do you all think? Pros/cons of the program? Reputation among the clinical community? I'm not starved for interviews, but if it's a hidden gem (or a big shiny one and I just haven't heard), it'd probably be worth living on pasta for a few months.

I didn't really "rank" schools in my mind when I applied to them, figuring that I'd only really know if I was the "right fit" with a school once I got there. I had a bottom three or so, but Wayne wasn't one of them.

I really appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Solid reputation, very strong in neuro in general (neuropsych is ok, very strong in neuroscience). Lots of good research coming out of there. Fears about Detroit usually overblown. Regardless, just live in the suburbs (many of which are affluent areas) and commute 20 minutes in.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard great things about the program, however, I think who you would work with there matters the most. They do have some faculty that are excellent mentors, well known, publish frequently, etc., so if that's your case, I would seriously consider interviewing there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys-- I really appreciate your opinions!

Hey all,

I concerned this is going to sound like one of those "#humblebrag" threads, but I'm actually seeking serious input, because I'm not sure what to do/how much to sacrifice.

I applied for 15 clinical PhD programs and have received interview invitations to 10 of them. While this astounds and delights and flatters me, it's also completely killed my bank account (I had saved enough for about 3-4 plane tickets, max). I've committed to 8 of them, declined 1 (it was the very bottom of my list and conflicted with another day, and frankly I'm running out of possible rescheduling days in February, my calendar looks insane). Today I got an invite to interview at Wayne State (this is the 10th and, I believe, the last).

I know very little about Wayne State other than what the website states, which includes the rather concerning info that I will likely have to pay for about 10% of my tuition while there (but otherwise I seem to get a stipend + is funded, like all other programs I applied for). They have a pretty solid match rate, but not the safest location (Detroit). I believe I have an excellent fit with my POI. I'd love any details about the school. I could technically afford it, but it would mean a minimal food budget for me for a few months. What do you all think? Pros/cons of the program? Reputation among the clinical community? I'm not starved for interviews, but if it's a hidden gem (or a big shiny one and I just haven't heard), it'd probably be worth living on pasta for a few months.

I didn't really "rank" schools in my mind when I applied to them, figuring that I'd only really know if I was the "right fit" with a school once I got there. I had a bottom three or so, but Wayne wasn't one of them.

I really appreciate your input.

Wayne has a solid, well-respected program. And the area around the school is one of the hottest and fastest growing areas in the city, exciting place to be!

I can't speak for the school and I am sure Detroit is not as bad as people will make it seem, but I will add this: When I lived in Chicago, I was headed to Detriot for a convention. When I got there I disliked the area so much, I drove over the bridge to Canada to stay for the night.

That's right, I left the country to get out of Detroit.

Anyways, I am sure its not that dangerous - just watch the new Robocop movie.

The new Robocop movie does not reflect ANYTHING correctly about Detroit, so I would not take that as an accurate statement by any means. My friend lived there for a year and refused to buy a car because so many people get there cars stolen. I lived in the suburbs of Detroit for most of my life and I have probably been there a total of 7 times. Detroit has been on the top 2 spots for most dangerous cities in the US for several years recently.

I would suggest living in a near-by city (Dearborn, Livonia, Royal Oak) and make the commute. Those areas are nice and much safer.

Like others have said Wayne Staye does have a great reputation. So, that's a plus.

Last edited:
The new Robocop movie does not reflect ANYTHING correctly about Detroit, so I would not take that as an accurate statement by any means. My friend lived there for a year and refused to buy a car because so many people get there cars stolen. I lived in the suburbs of Detroit for most of my life and I have probably been there a total of 7 times. Detroit has been on the top 2 spots for most dangerous cities in the US for several years recently.

I would suggest living in a near-by city (Dearborn, Livonia, Royal Oak) and make the commute. Those areas are nice and much safer.

Like others have said Wayne Staye does have a great reputation. So, that's a plus.

Just to be clear, the reference to Robocop was a joke.

However, if Officer Murphy is in town there will be no crime to worry about anyways.

Hey Allblue,

I don't know if your interview has already come and gone, but I just wanted to say a few words for Wayne. In full disclosure, I go to med school there and was originally from out of state so I only had vague ideas of what I thought Detroit and Wayne were before I actually came. Living here, I love it.

So, Detroit: I mean, let's be honest, it's not perfect as far as a city goes, it's not Chicago or Madison or Ann Arbor, but it is really a wonderful city. I too was worried about safety when I came here, but if you actually talk to the security division at Wayne State, it's one of the safest urban college campuses in the USA (the numbers don't lie). Wayne is policed in a 5 mile circumference by University police, and by and large it's really, really good. Midtown, where the university is located, is a really unique place, with one of the largest publicly held art collections in the USA, Eastern Market (the largest open air flower/food market in the US with 45,000 visitors every Saturday), the Detroit Public library (beautiful Neo-Classical design), the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, and tons of other theaters, coffee shops, and some good food. Down town is only a few minutes away and the waterfront has just recently been redone, also some great ethnic quarters with sweet food, not to mention all the major sports teams in Michigan are in and around the city of Detroit. There's really so much to see and do, it's sad Detroit get's a bad rap. It's like any city though, there's good bits and bad bits - it's what you make of it. Just be smart and safe and you'll have a great time.

Regarding Wayne, they're pretty awesome. I'd encourage you to look at the NIH or NSF grants to the university and you can decide for yourself. The NIH just awarded a 10 year $166 million dollar grant to Wayne for their Perinatology Research Branch. Or look at the new $93 million dollar biomedical research building they just broke ground on. Their annual NIH/NSF funding is over $100 million and they're considered a high impact research institution. Point being, they're top notch and within the research field and they're highly regarded. Their neuroscience division is actually quite good. They have collaborations with groups from all around the country and I personally know some of the faculty. Recently one of the faculty testified before congress regarding stem cell research, alongside the head of the NIH, so they know what they're doing to be sure. Really great spinal cord injury recovery research, retinal research, stroke, et cetera. I definitely think it's worth a look. Call the faculty too and talk to the students there, I'm sure they'll give you good insights, but ask around, people that haven't lived here often just don't know or care, and that'd be sad for you to miss a great opportunity.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I love it here, and hope you might find it interesting too.

Best regards.