Wayne State Univ SOM 2005 Entering Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGW

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that I would start this thread so that we may communicate, get to know each other and share any pertinent information prior to starting class!

My name is La Tonya and I'm originally from Detroit, but I currently reside in California (I interviewed in Feb 14).
I'll be moving back to Detroit around July 1.
I'm looking forward to beginning my medical career! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to meet you. I'll be there as well.

I know 5 people from MSU going (my former BS 111L partner, my former Physics lab partner, a girl that lived in Bailey freshman year, the boyfriend of a girl in my CEM 411 class, myself). Wayne is quite the happenin' place this year.

Check out the megathread in the Allopathic forum for more info.

Join thefacebook.com with your new email address so we can start getting to know everyone. :thumbup:

I interviewed in March and got my acceptance letter today. I am excited about starting in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an e-mail I received from a current student (ddmoore) about where ti begin!!! :)

Honestly, 95% of the required/rec. books you don't need to buy. There is enough material in the notes that extra sources is just a distraction. Plus, they rec. dozens of books that really have no relavence to the coursework. Here is a list of books that you NEED to buy:

Netter Anatomy Atlas

Books it helps to buy:

Rohen Anatomy Picture Atlas
Gross Anatomy Board Review Series
Physiology Board Review Series
(You can check good Histo books out from the library)
Any old undergrad biochem book
Maybe the nutrition book

Don't worry about doing much before class starts. As was the case for us, plenty of people will offer to sell books on the email lists once you get your WSU-SOM email. You could always look on amazon.com or half.com for the books if you desired. As I have told others, I think the best way to spend your summer is to relax and enjoy it. School comes pretty fast and moves fast. Since you aren't really sure about how it goes, you probably wouldn't study the right stuff or at the right pace to make a difference. If you want to excel, just overstudy for the first exams, know every single detail, then tone it back from there to fit your preferences. Send any additional questions my way.

-ddmoore[/QUOTE]

Congrats to all of you! I've also applied to Wayne, interviewed in Feb, but still on the wait-list. Actually still trying to decide between OU and Wayne (if I end up getting in). Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

I'll be heading up north from Canada to join you guys.

eh dare, good to have ya' doncha no.

esc said:
I'll be heading up north from Canada to join you guys.

Holla for Wayne 09'

Native Michigander here, did undergrad in the great white north of the UP.

I’m going apartment shopping in the area this week/next weekend and still looking for a roommate.

Feel free to contact me with suggestions.

-Josh

LGW said:
This is an e-mail I received from a current student (ddmoore) about where ti begin!!! :)

Honestly, 95% of the required/rec. books you don't need to buy. There is enough material in the notes that extra sources is just a distraction. Plus, they rec. dozens of books that really have no relavence to the coursework. Here is a list of books that you NEED to buy:

Netter Anatomy Atlas

Books it helps to buy:

Rohen Anatomy Picture Atlas
Gross Anatomy Board Review Series
Physiology Board Review Series
(You can check good Histo books out from the library)
Any old undergrad biochem book
Maybe the nutrition book

Don't worry about doing much before class starts. As was the case for us, plenty of people will offer to sell books on the email lists once you get your WSU-SOM email. You could always look on amazon.com or half.com for the books if you desired. As I have told others, I think the best way to spend your summer is to relax and enjoy it. School comes pretty fast and moves fast. Since you aren't really sure about how it goes, you probably wouldn't study the right stuff or at the right pace to make a difference. If you want to excel, just overstudy for the first exams, know every single detail, then tone it back from there to fit your preferences. Send any additional questions my way.

-ddmoore
[/QUOTE]

As AStudent said, check out the thread in the Allopathic forum. There are quite a few members of the class of 2008 that hang out there.
Only modification that I would make to ddmoore's comment is that I felt that Rohen was vital for anatomy. It is a wonderful book to have to (to paraphrase one of the guys at the bookstore) 'see what your dissection was supposed to look like'.
Also, hard to beat it for studying when the labs are locked down prior to an exam.

Any other questions...
visit us in the allo forum or feel free to bounce them my way and I'll do what I can (keep in mind we have a round of exams coming up in a couple of weeks)

oldjeeps
WSU-SOM
Class of 2008

only two weeks :) , two exams :eek: , and on OSCE to go until I am a MS2. Please, oh please let me pass it all.

Hey, I do not log on to this forum that often, but it’s nice to see a Wayne thread when I do. I will also be starting at Wayne this fall and am a Michigan native who just graduated from University of Michigan. I leave Wednesday for Europe, but I’ll be back in Detroit in July. See you all then.

LGW said:
I thought that I would start this thread so that we may communicate, get to know each other and share any pertinent information prior to starting class!

My name is La Tonya and I'm originally from Detroit, but I currently reside in California (I interviewed in Feb 14).
I'll be moving back to Detroit around July 1.
I'm looking forward to beginning my medical career! :)

So where are you guys looking at staying? I am trying to choose between belleville and westland- my fiance will be continuing undergrad at UM and we need to live in between. Also, how much per month are you looking at spending on an apartment?

fun8stuff said:
So where are you guys looking at staying? I am trying to choose between belleville and westland- my fiance will be continuing undergrad at UM and we need to live in between. Also, how much per month are you looking at spending on an apartment?

I'm looking either downtown or in the royle oak/ferndale area. I'm trying to find a place with atleast one or two roomates for about 300-500 a month. Still looking for roomates.

I'm living downtown in a 1 bedroom, for the ladies.

Whatever the cost you'll be able to pay it back someday.

Thrice said:
I'm looking either downtown or in the royle oak/ferndale area. I'm trying to find a place with atleast one or two roomates for about 300-500 a month. Still looking for roomates.

Members don't see this ad :)
AStudent said:
I'm living downtown in a 1 bedroom, for the ladies.

Whatever the cost you'll be able to pay it back someday.

Nice plan.

Did anyone look at the major apartment complexes yet?

Thrice said:

One other area that y’all might consider is the Grosse Pointes. Contrary to popular opinion there are apartments out there that aren’t too expensive and there are certain perks to living out there (resident only parks, etc). Also, it can be quicker to get into WSU-SOM from the Grosse Pointes than from RO – especially with some of the current construction – due to more possible routes (RO to SOM is 75 or Woodward: GP to SOM is 94, Mack, Jefferson, Warren, or Harper).

Granted it is a pain to get to any class functions in RO from GP (no direct route), but with proper planning that CAN be a minor issue.

P.S. it just so happens that I am renting a house in Grosse Pointe Park and am looking for housemates – if anyone is interested or would like more information PM me.

Hey,
I'm trying to decide b/w Wayne State and MCO. Can someone tell me about the grading system at Wayne State. I know it's P/F but I really need to know if it fosters collaboration amongst the students. I am looking for an environment that fosters collaboration and not competitiveness. Can any current students elaborate on this. Or can any students who are familiar with the curriculum elaborate.
Also in terms of housing since I can't drive (I know it's pretty sad but in nyc...I take the subway and buses) I would need somewhere that's near campus are their any places within walking distance. Also what is the price range for a 1 bedroom. Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know if the grading system at Wayne State is curved?

nyc25 said:
Hey,
I'm trying to decide b/w Wayne State and MCO. Can someone tell me about the grading system at Wayne State. I know it's P/F but I really need to know if it fosters collaboration amongst the students. I am looking for an environment that fosters collaboration and not competitiveness. Can any current students elaborate on this. Or can any students who are familiar with the curriculum elaborate.
Also in terms of housing since I can't drive (I know it's pretty sad but in nyc...I take the subway and buses) I would need somewhere that's near campus are their any places within walking distance. Also what is the price range for a 1 bedroom. Thanks everyone.

I would definatly say its better for your career to choose WSU over MCO. I dont mean anything negative about MCO, but its just not really known. WSU isnt really known outside of the midwest, but it is known around here. It is respected around here.

Hey fellow classmates!

Soo, I've finally decided on Wayne SOM today!

Anyways, I wanted some input on living areas.

For people that have or will live in Detroit, is it relatively safe? I used to live in MI years ago and my memories of Detroit are pretty negative. Also, during my interview I drove around Wayne and have to say that I wouldn't feel too safe walking around at night (ie, giving my dogs a walk every night.)

I also visited Royal Oak. The students I met at Wayne told me that it was an up and coming place, but after driving around I found that its only like 3 blocks of stuff and then its all "blah".

I also received that housing packet from Wayne, but it seems that most of the apts and condos are in Detroit. And once again, the "safety" issue comes to mind.

Geez, I must sound paranoid! But its actually not me thats worried about safety, its my fiance and my two pugs! Anyways, any input would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

nyc25 said:

What do you mean by graded on a curve?
I am finishing up my first year at WSU-SOM and would be willing to attempt to explain the way scores are calculated if you really want me to wander into that quagmire. PM me and I'll give you as many gory details as I can – or don’t worry about it until you get here.

If you don’t know how to drive, I would suggest that you get around to learning. If you live on main campus (or within walking distance – some people do it) you’ll be able to get by but I am not sure what it means for getting to a store, etc. Also, you’ll have to drive to some of your rotations during third and fourth year.
Re: living on campus, I do not know who you have to talk to, but you might want to check on the WSU undergrad website.

Senor.Frog said:
Hey fellow classmates!

For people that have or will live in Detroit, is it relatively safe? I used to live in MI years ago and my memories of Detroit are pretty negative. Also, during my interview I drove around Wayne and have to say that I wouldn't feel too safe walking around at night (ie, giving my dogs a walk every night.)

I also visited Royal Oak. The students I met at Wayne told me that it was an up and coming place, but after driving around I found that its only like 3 blocks of stuff and then its all "blah".

I also received that housing packet from Wayne, but it seems that most of the apts and condos are in Detroit. And once again, the "safety" issue comes to mind.

Geez, I must sound paranoid! But its actually not me thats worried about safety, its my fiance and my two pugs! Anyways, any input would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

Pay the WSU thread on the allopathic board a visit and read some of its early posts. I seem to recall discussing the issue of housing on it at some point.
General rule of thumb for the class of 2008 is 1/3 live in RO, 1/3 live in Detroit, 1/3 live elsewhere. I know of some apartments in the Grosse Pointes that are comparable with downtown apartments price wise. Similar length (or shorter) commute as living in RO. Depending on what you are looking for in a community it might work for you or be too quite. There certainly are more clubs, bars, etc in RO than GP.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and I’ll try to help out (last final is in one week so I might not get around to replying before then).

nyc25 said:

You can find a lot of good info about wayne at this site:
http://www.med.wayne.edu/educational_programs/current_students.asp

The grading system is kind of a mix. It is pass/fail in that a 75 or higher is a guarantee pass, below is failing.

At the end of each course, a confidence interval of approximately 99.6% will be placed around the percent score of 75% (the pre-examination guaranteed minimum pass level). The lower limit of this confidence interval then becomes the post-exam guaranteed minimum pass level (post-GMPL), at or above which all students are guaranteed to pass the exam.

The post-GMPL can be adjusted downward at the Course Director’s discretion, based upon post examination analysis. If on post examination analysis the pre-GMPL is found to be greater than the mean of the students'
scores the confidence interval will be applied to the mean. For the purpose of students ascertaining whether they passed and how well they scored, the scores will be reported as the percent of examination items answered correctly.

For the purpose of students ascertaining how well they performed in relationship to their classmates on a given examination and from examination to examination, examination scores will also be reported in standard score form with a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100.

The honors level will be determined by the Course Director(s). However, a standard score of 600 or above guarantees course honors. For courses with required promotional examinations, an average standard score of 600 or above guarantees a student year-end honors. The Promotions Committee has the discretion to determine additional honors based on course performance. Students who have an average standard score of 600 or greater and fail a course are not eligible for year-end honors.

wow thanks so much for explaining the grading system. Does type of grading system foster collaboration amogst the students?

Senor.Frog said:
Hey fellow classmates!

i will living in either westland or belleville, which are both between a 20-30 mins away depending on traffic. I just visted them Tuesday and they are very nice areas. I saw many people walking dogs, etc. Belleville is a small community (pop. about 4000-5000 people), with a lake, meijer, and a few other things. Westland is a quite a bit larger- not sure of the pop, but i know it is 10th largest city in michigan. It looked like they had everything-- many places to eat out, meijer, walmart, jc penny, a couple movie theaters, etc, etc. The thing with westland is that there isn't a highway that directly connects it to detroit. Belleville is directly connected by 94. The apartments we looked at ranged from $550 to 700 per month (2 bedrooms, the 700 being ones with balconies and washer and dryers.)

we also looked at taylor and romulus, but we weren't very impressed. both seemed not as nice- more run down, not as nice looking.

I called on a bunch of places to live today, I'm probably going to live downtown for this year. With the superbowl and a few other events coming to detroit this will be THE year to live down town.

nyc25 said:
wow thanks so much for explaining the grading system. Does type of grading system foster collaboration amogst the students?

I am not a student yet, but will be attending next fall. From what I have heard from people that live there (and from students at other schools), is that there will always be the people that are super competitive gunners- this will be true at any school. The application process almost guarantees this. However, there will also be those that are willing to help each other out. I heard at wayne, there are a lot of cliques that are formed- given the large class. A week or so ago i read on the allopathic wayne thread of a student that made some diagram that was offering copies to other people. I know 4 other people personally that go to wayne that all tend to help each other out, etc. The with wayne is that it is a commuter school; a majority of students live off campus in "better" areas. But, I'm not a student so I don't really know how it really is. I imagine it as once you make some friends, you will be able to go to them for help, and that there won't be much difference no matter what school you go to.

And what I said about the grading system I pretty much copied from the curriculum guide off their website (use the link i provided to find it). There is a lot more info in the document. There is one for years I and II that pretty much explains everything.... I would check it out for more info.

Thrice said:
I called on a bunch of places to live today, I'm probably going to live downtown for this year. With the superbowl and a few other events coming to detroit this will be THE year to live down town.

I am from a small town and the other day I drove around the campus I had a bum approach my car at a stoplight.... it was kind of scary. I'm not used to that kind of thing. My fiance was telling me the woman standing on the street were hookers... i'm not sure i believe her though, lol. But- i grew up on a farm and have no idea what to expect. To me it looks like living 20-30 mins away will be best for me.

fun8stuff said:
I am from a small town and the other day I drove around the campus I had a bum approach my car at a stoplight.... it was kind of scary. I'm not used to that kind of thing. My fiance was telling me the woman standing on the street were hookers... i'm not sure i believe her though, lol. But- i grew up on a farm and have no idea what to expect. To me it looks like living 20-30 mins away will be best for me.

I'm feeling you on that, I grew up in a town of 300ish in northern Michigan. I also did undergrad in the U.P. so I'm not used to the metro living at all.

But, I think its time for a change. I'm single, no pets and I hate commuting (i used to drive 45 minutes to highschool every morning and HATED it), so I think its downtown for me.

Plus, I'm sure I could take a bum :p

fun8stuff said:
I am from a small town and the other day I drove around the campus I had a bum approach my car at a stoplight.... it was kind of scary. I'm not used to that kind of thing.
You’ll get used to that, it is part of driving in Detroit. Just keep your doors locked and leave yourself some room to maneuver your car out in a hurry, in case you need to. Occasionally there will be someone panhandling between the entrance to Scott Hall and the parking structure – you learn to walk past them without noticing them (sounds horrible, but it’s true)

fun8stuff said:
My fiance was telling me the woman standing on the street were hookers... i'm not sure i believe her though, lol. But- i grew up on a farm and have no idea what to expect. To me it looks like living 20-30 mins away will be best for me.
Your fiancé might be right, I just make it a habit not to notice who is on the street. Just repeat the following to yourself: “Don’t make eye contact, just don’t make eye contact….” If you do that out loud they’ll think you are nuts and leave you alone. :D
Being a farm boy myself, I can understand what you are saying. But think that you are being a bit optimistic about how long your commute is going to be – at least until the construction :mad: is done (not like that will ever happen). Can’t say that I envy how much you are going to be spending to feed your car – but that is the price you pay for contributing to urban sprawl.

Haha, you guys and gals crack me up.

The grading is curved, but it doesn't hurt your failure rate. 75% is always passing. The difference is that you are ranked on each test. Every school ranks you, its just that you don't see it at most.

Like mentioned, there is typically lots of sharing within cliques and between them. Not so much accross the entire class.

I live in Detroit and love it. Downtown is pretty safe, but I am cautious. You get used to the bums, trust me. In fact, I think it's good for you because these are the same people you'll be treating. You need to gain a level of comfort in dealing with them. They are just very poor, and it took living down here for me to realize that. No, those were not hookers.

Ohh, saw my first police chase the other day. A guy sped away after two cops had pulled his car over and were standing next to it. It was exciting!

Thrice said:
I'm feeling you on that, I grew up in a town of 300ish in northern Michigan. I also did undergrad in the U.P. so I'm not used to the metro living at all.

But, I think its time for a change. I'm single, no pets and I hate commuting (i used to drive 45 minutes to highschool every morning and HATED it), so I think its downtown for me.

Plus, I'm sure I could take a bum :p

That’ll all depend on what the bum is carrying and how many of the bum’s friends are around the corner.

Just a thought, moving into Detroit proper might be a bit of culture shock for you. In the grand scheme of things (in Detroit terms) a 10 – 20 minute commute is short. Also, I was speaking with someone that lived near the medical center this year and is thinking to move out a bit to have more of a change of scenery between school and home.

I think it's funny how the people most affraid of Detroit, are also the commuters that only go from the parking garage to the inside of school.

It's all about where you live downtown. The places on the river are pretty much nicer than what you'll find in RO, GP, or wherever. I have people with $100K+ cars in my parking garage, so... don't think all of Detroit is complete ghetto.

oldjeeps said:
That’ll all depend on what the bum is carrying and how many of the bum’s friends are around the corner.

Just a thought, moving into Detroit proper might be a bit of culture shock for you. In the grand scheme of things (in Detroit terms) a 10 – 20 minute commute is short. Also, I was speaking with someone that lived near the medical center this year and is thinking to move out a bit to have more of a change of scenery between school and home.

Well, might as well try it, I can always move after a year. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to be close to the action :p

ddmoore54 said:
I think it's funny how the people most affraid of Detroit, are also the commuters that only go from the parking garage to the inside of school.

It's all about where you live downtown. The places on the river are pretty much nicer than what you'll find in RO, GP, or wherever. I have people with $100K+ cars in my parking garage, so... don't think all of Detroit is complete ghetto.

Where are you at?

ddmoore54 said:

I won’t argue that. In fact if you go back to the discussion on the allo board I was backing you up on the fact that Detroit isn’t that bad. Also, as you stated earlier it is all about being cautious regardless of the town that you are in. ALL towns have their “bad areas”; some just get more press than others and unfortunately Detroit gets more than its share of negative press. I am looking forward to when more of Detroit will be like your building – maybe not the $100K+ cars, but starting to come back and be populated by people that are interested in rebuilding the city and making it better.

oldjeeps said:
You’ll get used to that, it is part of driving in Detroit. Just keep your doors locked and leave yourself some room to maneuver your car out in a hurry, in case you need to. Occasionally there will be someone panhandling between the entrance to Scott Hall and the parking structure – you learn to walk past them without noticing them (sounds horrible, but it’s true)

Your fiancé might be right, I just make it a habit not to notice who is on the street. Just repeat the following to yourself: “Don’t make eye contact, just don’t make eye contact….” If you do that out loud they’ll think you are nuts and leave you alone. :D
Being a farm boy myself, I can understand what you are saying. But think that you are being a bit optimistic about how long your commute is going to be – at least until the construction :mad: is done (not like that will ever happen). Can’t say that I envy how much you are going to be spending to feed your car – but that is the price you pay for contributing to urban sprawl.

haha... that's funny. Yeah, i am actually not all gung hoe for commuting, and I know some days may be twice what i said... but i am trying to be optimistic and think of the positives... mapquest says 23 mins, and i only wish it were true. I heard some construction will be done in July and some in November... i will have to pay more in gas, but with my gf splitting rent, i should only be paying $300-400/ month, depending on how much utilities run.

I was within a 2 min walk from most of my classes during undergrad and really got used to this kind of living- waking up 4 mins before class starts and staggering across the street. But my fiance is transfering to UM (undergrad), so we have to live in between wayne and ann arbor. I have no choice... if it weren't for this, i would be living downtown.

oldjeeps said:
I won’t argue that. In fact if you go back to the discussion on the allo board I was backing you up on the fact that Detroit isn’t that bad. Also, as you stated earlier it is all about being cautious regardless of the town that you are in. ALL towns have their “bad areas”; some just get more press than others and unfortunately Detroit gets more than its share of negative press. I am looking forward to when more of Detroit will be like your building – maybe not the $100K+ cars, but starting to come back and be populated by people that are interested in rebuilding the city and making it better.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

how was the waitlist movement last year? any numbers you can bounce around?

for current students, hear anything from the adcom on this year's expected movement??

Thrice said:
Where are you at?
I live at Riverfront.

But, Riverplace, Millender Center, and Merchant's Row are all really nice.

so i have a friend who will be attending wayne next year as well. she claims to have gotten a 2-bedroom apartment downtown (Can see medical school from window) for $500/month w/ all utilities included. I have not seen her since graduation, so i have not gotten a chance to ask her where this is. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where this could be? Is this too good to be true?

ddmoore54 said:
I live at Riverfront.

But, Riverplace, Millender Center, and Merchant's Row are all really nice.

Good to hear, I have appointments to view Riverfront and Merch Row on monday.

It's probably University Towers.

As for my commitment to the city... I started the app. process to be in the Detroit Police Reserves. Who knows what will come of it, but seems a lot cooler than any extra-curricular the school offers.

Chalk up another future Wayne State Warrior. Not that I have anything other than that to add to the thread, but all the info has been crazy helpful. Myself, I'm torn between commuting and doing the downtown thing. Do you guys think there's any concern that some of the best local housing will fill up (ie. like at a big undergrad campus) or do you think you can find something solid late in the game?

For the most part, no. It's nice because it's not a "college town" where you need to find housing a year in advance. However, I know some of the desirable places downtown might have waits of a couple months. I wouldn't put it off.

fun8stuff said:
so i have a friend who will be attending wayne next year as well. she claims to have gotten a 2-bedroom apartment downtown (Can see medical school from window) for $500/month w/ all utilities included. I have not seen her since graduation, so i have not gotten a chance to ask her where this is. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where this could be? Is this too good to be true?

This is definitely possible. I was born and raised in Detroit, but I've been on the West Coast for 10yrs, which is why I'm unable to give any suggestions on where to live. But my Dad lives in what is called "Indian Village" not far from downtown (off of Jefferson and Parker) and he pays about $500 for a small NICE single with wooden floors (kind of like a studio), but perfect for one person! Intercom entrance, quiet, not a lot of people around.
The west side of Detroit is also an option (6mile, 7mile, 8mile ALL WEST SIDE if I recall), Southfield is GREAT (Telegraph/Inkster), Oak Park too.
My brother actually lives in a nice two bedroom, two story townhome for about $700 (I believe it is near I96 and Telegraph or 7mile). If anyone is interested I can find out exactly where.
I'll be living on the West side of Detroit. My parents own these units and my grandmother (age 77, council women) works there everyday, so if she is not afraid, I should not be! :) There may be a unit available here also, nice size 2 bedroom for $450.
Los Angeles is full of gangs, and Detroit does not have this and that makes a world of difference. Yes you have your bums, but like someone said previously, EVERY town has it's bad areas, Detroit just has a few!

Hey ddmoore or any current Wayne student,
Since you're a current student, do you know if the pass/fail system at Wayne is any different from a letter grading system since Wayne State still ranks their students. I guess my question is, does the pass/fail system at Wayne state have the inherent advantages of what pass/fail grading systems are supposed to achieve, in terms of decreasing stressors, cut-throat competition and fostering collaboration?

ddmoore54 said:
Haha, you guys and gals crack me up.

The grading is curved, but it doesn't hurt your failure rate. 75% is always passing. The difference is that you are ranked on each test. Every school ranks you, its just that you don't see it at most.

Like mentioned, there is typically lots of sharing within cliques and between them. Not so much accross the entire class.

I live in Detroit and love it. Downtown is pretty safe, but I am cautious. You get used to the bums, trust me. In fact, I think it's good for you because these are the same people you'll be treating. You need to gain a level of comfort in dealing with them. They are just very poor, and it took living down here for me to realize that. No, those were not hookers.

Ohh, saw my first police chase the other day. A guy sped away after two cops had pulled his car over and were standing next to it. It was exciting!

Ok, I'll throw my hat in:

1)Detroit is not scary. I grew up in a small town in mid-MI and going downtown is no big deal. Just keep in mind what some of the others have said. Don't walk with your head down, scan, it makes you less of a mark if you look like you know what you are doing and where you are going. If you are lost do NOT turn around or stop and look confused, if you must back track go around the block or go into a store and buy some gum, then turn around. Avoid eye contact with undesirables if it makes you nervous, if they ask for money say sorry and keep walking, they won't chase you down. Don't swing your purse from one finger like in some cute commercial...it will get snatched. My husband has an aunt who is absentminded at best and she does NOT follow these rules, she has had her purse snatched 6 times. I mean I wouldn't go down to the corner of Michigan and Livernois at night, but if you want to pick up a transvestite hooker, then go right ahead!

2) Detroit is not really a walking town. There is NO big mass transportation system. We are the Motor City, get used to it. However, if you live within walking distance of the school you might be able to make it work. I live in Roseville, no traffic = 15 min door to door, rush hour/bad weather/accidents bumps it up to 30-45. There are some apartments/houses for rent in this area as well, if you want to snag a roomie, and it is a straight shot down 94, but you can always take Gratiot, Harper, or Jefferson...you just add stoplights. Oh and for the person who was looking at Taylor, I personally wouldn't, Taylor-tucky and Ypsi-ssee are a little far out and...um...not really that desirable to live in.

3) I find that competition is not really a big deal. There are always a couple of gunners who will want to with-hold info, but for the most part we all pass things around. Since you have a random number assigned to you then you can't figure out who is who unless someone tells you. Yes, 75% is guaranteed pass rate. No, we have not had a class that even has a pass rate of 70%. Mostly they fall around 65-68%. Class ranking is based on which quint-ile, not which quart-ile, you fall into for your dean's letter at the end of it all. Within that 1/5 you are not ranked. At least this is the way is was explained to me, and it may change.

ok, I can't think of what else I wanted to say but feel free to PM me as well, I'm always on this thing.

ddmoore54 said:
IIt's all about where you live downtown. The places on the river are pretty much nicer than what you'll find in RO, GP, or wherever. I have people with $100K+ cars in my parking garage, so... don't think all of Detroit is complete ghetto.

Which apt complexes or condos would you suggest by the river? I was thinking about RiverFront Apartments. Are these any good?

Also, are most parking garages gated with security guards?

Finally, can you jog and walk dogs by the river without always looking behind you. I mean, all metro places can be dangerous to a degree (eg, I would never walk in Central Park in NYC at night), but overall, is the river in Detroit pretty safe? Any info would help, thanks!