Wayne State University BMS 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedwingsFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for Wayne State BMS 2011. Has anyone else applied/heard back yet??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I actually just got off the phone with them. They have received 180 applications so far, and are reviewing the first batch of them tomorrow. They will be reviewing another batch around the 22nd of this month. They don't have a cap for acceptances--I think pretty much everyone who isn't a ***** gets in :)

Does this program have an official linkage to Wayne State Medical School? Does anyone know what the average GPA and MCAT of the students accepted to the program are? Also, does anyone know what percent of students are admitted to med school from the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just got off the phone with them. They have received 180 applications so far, and are reviewing the first batch of them tomorrow. They will be reviewing another batch around the 22nd of this month. They don't have a cap for acceptances--I think pretty much everyone who isn't a ***** gets in :)

That last part definitely made me feel a bit better :laugh:. I was starting to feel a little apprehensive since I hadn't heard back from Wayne yet. Hoping for some good news tomorrow though:xf:. Good luck!!

Does this program have an official linkage to Wayne State Medical School? Does anyone know what the average GPA and MCAT of the students accepted to the program are? Also, does anyone know what percent of students are admitted to med school from the program?

I've attached a brochure from the program which can answer your questions and provides some additional information also.

Attachments

• BMS_Brochure_07.pdf
    153.5 KB · Views: 621
Hey in the brochure it says 1/3 are accepted into Wayne State's medical school and others are accepted into other medical schools/professional programs, does anyone know the overall acceptance rate into medical school after completion of the program?

Hey in the brochure it says 1/3 are accepted into Wayne State's medical school and others are accepted into other medical schools/professional programs, does anyone know the overall acceptance rate into medical school after completion of the program?

There probably isn't a statistic for that, but I know from people who have done it (and gone to places other than Wayne) that it is a very successful program.

Most programs will only track the acceptances into their own med school. I believe University of Toledo's does this too. With theirs, you are guaranteed an interview to their med school, and a good chunk of their kids get in, but they don't say how many get in other places either

Hi all,

Here is a comment/question for thought:

I recently spoke to one of my professors about this program (and similar post-bach. programs) and he commented about how helpful such a program would be for students, like me, who have ALREADY taken most of the classes that Wayne's BMS offers (such as Biochem, neuroscience, physiology, pathophys, microbiology, cancer biology, cell/molecular bio). He pointed out that for students that have taken these classes already, and WILL take them again in the master's program, it does not necessary show that you are a strong medical school applicant (since you are basically repeating the classes).

I am very curious to know if after completing the Wayne BMS program, will medical school admissions committee be skeptical of a strong performance due to repeating the classes.

Hope to hear some input on this situation...thanks

Hi all,

Here is a comment/question for thought:

I recently spoke to one of my professors about this program (and similar post-bach. programs) and he commented about how helpful such a program would be for students, like me, who have ALREADY taken most of the classes that Wayne's BMS offers (such as Biochem, neuroscience, physiology, pathophys, microbiology, cancer biology, cell/molecular bio). He pointed out that for students that have taken these classes already, and WILL take them again in the master's program, it does not necessary show that you are a strong medical school applicant (since you are basically repeating the classes).

I am very curious to know if after completing the Wayne BMS program, will medical school admissions committee be skeptical of a strong performance due to repeating the classes.

Hope to hear some input on this situation...thanks

These classes are much more in-depth. In a lot of them, they're actually classes WITH the first year med students...so they're definitely not repeats of similar classes you've taken. Unless you're talking about Biochem 515 at U of M--that is the med school biochem.

Another example: I have a BS in Neuroscience, but I know I would totally benefit from the MS or PhD in Neuroscience that Wayne offers. Again, it's much more in-depth. If they were basically the same classes, there wouldn't be a BS and a MS and a PhD as separate tracts.

These classes are much more in-depth. In a lot of them, they're actually classes WITH the first year med students...so they're definitely not repeats of similar classes you've taken. Unless you're talking about Biochem 515 at U of M--that is the med school biochem.

Another example: I have a BS in Neuroscience, but I know I would totally benefit from the MS or PhD in Neuroscience that Wayne offers. Again, it's much more in-depth. If they were basically the same classes, there wouldn't be a BS and a MS and a PhD as separate tracts.

I agree. The classes in the BMS program are graduate level classes taught by med school professors. Your performance in these classes will supersede that of their undergraduate counterparts as evidence of your competence to medical schools.

Thanks for the feedback guys. My only concern is that when an admissions committee sees that I did very well in a masters program they may take into consideration that I already had exposure to these classes (as compared to another student that did not). This may be a disadvantage to me when applying to med. schools. You don't think they may consider this??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys. My only concern is that when an admissions committee sees that I did very well in a masters program they may take into consideration that I already had exposure to these classes (as compared to another student that did not). This may be a disadvantage to me when applying to med. schools. You don't think they may consider this??

No. hypothetically med schools hope you do well in undergrad and in grad. that's what makes you a strong applicant.

Also the thinking behind why they don't care too much about what your major is. They want people who are good at this sciency things.

There probably isn't a statistic for that, but I know from people who have done it (and gone to places other than Wayne) that it is a very successful program.

Most programs will only track the acceptances into their own med school. I believe University of Toledo's does this too. With theirs, you are guaranteed an interview to their med school, and a good chunk of their kids get in, but they don't say how many get in other places either
Ok thanks!

I've attached a brochure from the program which can answer your questions and provides some additional information also.

Where on earth did you get this brochure? I have been scouring for this information for months!!

Also Does anybody know how this program is viewd by adcomms?

Thanks! This has information that is not on the Wayne Website. I wonder how they view students who work. I also wonder what their GRE and MCAT scores look like.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how many students end up matriculating into U.S. Medical Schools after enrolling in only 1 year at Wayne's BMS program? I was thinking that if I could enroll in Wayne's medical school after 1 year, I'd rather do that instead of spend an additional year to earn the MS and get into a marginally better medical school.

Does anybody know how many students end up matriculating into U.S. Medical Schools after enrolling in only 1 year at Wayne's BMS program? I was thinking that if I could enroll in Wayne's medical school after 1 year, I'd rather do that instead of spend an additional year to earn the MS and get into a marginally better medical school.

Yes I would like to know this as well GREAT QUESTION!!!

Where on earth did you get this brochure? I have been scouring for this information for months!!

Also Does anybody know how this program is viewd by adcomms?

Thanks! This has information that is not on the Wayne Website. I wonder how they view students who work. I also wonder what their GRE and MCAT scores look like.

Your welcome! I'm glad you found it useful. I was actually in the same boat not too long ago where I couldn't find any info on this program. I finally ended up emailing the PD who, in turn, sent me the brochure.

As far as the adcomms go, I think they generally view this program favorably. I personally know numerous people who were accepted into medical and dental school from this program (many of them were accepted after only a semester or two).

Your welcome! I'm glad you found it useful. I was actually in the same boat not too long ago where I couldn't find any info on this program. I finally ended up emailing the PD who, in turn, sent me the brochure.

As far as the adcomms go, I think they generally view this program favorably. I personally know numerous people who were accepted into medical and dental school from this program (many of them were accepted after only a semester or two).

So wait..they took this prog for only a year at 8 credits a semester and got in? What were their UG GPA's did they have to work on that so they would get past screening. This is the detail that may keep me from going for a year or jumping in now.

So wait..they took this prog for only a year at 8 credits a semester and got in? What were their UG GPA's did they have to work on that so they would get past screening. This is the detail that may keep me from going for a year or jumping in now.

I was wondering this as well. To my understanding, most professional schools are very strict about seeing 20 credits of graduate level sciences in students who have had low UG science GPAs.

Also, I understand that ~30% of the BMS students are accepted into Wayne State's medical program. Does anyone know what the average GPA/MCAT is for these students? Also, what do the remaining ~70% of the students end up doing?

Hi, sorry for the late response. I'm currently out of the states and have limited internet access. While I can't recall the exact UG GPA and MCAT scores of all the people I know who were able to matriculate before gradating from the BMS program, I can say that most of them had low UG GPAs (~3.2) and high MCAT (30+).

One specific example that I can recall off the top of my head is of a friend who recently matriculated to University of Michigan Dental School after only a semester of BMS program. Her UG GPA was 3.2 and her DAT was 21. However she was able to maintain a 4.0 for that one semester. I would take this as an exception rather than the rule...especially considering that her stats were already somewhat competitive.

Thanks again for the info! This is surprising information because I have been reading on here that students HAVE to take the ENTIRE program because adcomms at Wayne won't look at your app until you do. So I guess this may have changed over the years? I guess the proof in the pudding is the fact that students have gotten in to med school with a year under their belt, and that you know them for sure to be out there.

Is there someone who is attending this program that is looking for a possible roommate? Private message me if you're interested!

Thanks again for the info! This is surprising information because I have been reading on here that students HAVE to take the ENTIRE program because adcomms at Wayne won't look at your app until you do. So I guess this may have changed over the years? I guess the proof in the pudding is the fact that students have gotten in to med school with a year under their belt, and that you know them for sure to be out there.

I met with a member of the Wayne AdCom and she said they definitely admit people after just the first year. They look for about 20 credits.

Ok, just got off the phone with the BMS program--they have made more decisions but haven't sent them out yet--a bunch should be going out today.

anyone hear anything? i havent even received an email saying I am complete yet I have sent everything in to their address since........ february? I did however reply to brenda's email saying if you are complete to email her but nothing...

I called today and they told me I was admitted (accepted) yesterday, but the director of the program is having health issues so they're behind on emails. I haven't gotten an email.

If it's stressing you out I'd say just call.

I called today and they told me I was admitted (accepted) yesterday, but the director of the program is having health issues so they're behind on emails. I haven't gotten an email.

If it's stressing you out I'd say just call.

CONGRATS!!!:D:D

so what is your schedule going to look like for this program??

CONGRATS!!!:D:D

so what is your schedule going to look like for this program??

Thanks! They haven't released that yet, something really confusing about not doing it until orientation?

Still waiting on Toledo before I commit to Wayne (Toledo's program has a better matriculation rate--33% at Wayne vs 77% at Toledo..., and you don't have to retake any M1 classes you take during the MS program)

Anyway--still no email from Wayne...I'm betting they won't go out until next week...

Still waiting on Toledo before I commit to Wayne (Toledo's program has a better matriculation rate--33% at Wayne vs 77% at Toledo..., and you don't have to retake any M1 classes you take during the MS program
Hi,
Do you mind if I ask where you got these numbers from? Thanks. I didn't know Toledo's matriculation rate into med school was so high!

Thanks! They haven't released that yet, something really confusing about not doing it until orientation?

Still waiting on Toledo before I commit to Wayne (Toledo's program has a better matriculation rate--33% at Wayne vs 77% at Toledo..., and you don't have to retake any M1 classes you take during the MS program)

Anyway--still no email from Wayne...I'm betting they won't go out until next week...

So wait....THEY make your sched?? I thought you could pick what you wanted at a minimum of 8 credits! (Brenda told me 8cr.)

Hi,
Do you mind if I ask where you got these numbers from? Thanks. I didn't know Toledo's matriculation rate into med school was so high!

They are right in the descriptions of both programs on the respective school websites. Dean Lane at Toledo also told me them to my face :p Toledo does not cap how many students they accept from their program. He said that if all 50 students do well this year, all of them could get in to UT Med.

Toledo:
WHAT PERCENTAGE OF MSBS STUDENTS TYPICALLY GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL AT UT?
Historically, approximately 65% of our MSBS-MS Students were accepted into medical school at The
University of Toledo. We do not track students that are accepted into other medical schools. Last year
(2009-2010), 29 of 38 students (76%) were accepted into the College of Medicine.
http://www.utoledo.edu/graduate/prospectivestudents/programs/pdfs/msbs_info_page.pdf

Wayne:
See brochure above

Last edited:
So wait....THEY make your sched?? I thought you could pick what you wanted at a minimum of 8 credits! (Brenda told me 8cr.)

No, they don't make your schedule, but they just have an incomplete list of class options up, with little guidance as to what they are or in what order they should be taken. She said that will be covered in the orientation materials that they send out, or something like that. I want a little more information on the classes before blindly selecting a really bad combination of them :p

No, they don't make your schedule, but they just have an incomplete list of class options up, with little guidance as to what they are or in what order they should be taken. She said that will be covered in the orientation materials that they send out, or something like that. I want a little more information on the classes before blindly selecting a really bad combination of them :p

SisterDisco08 SCORE!!! :plol All of them seem pretty tough and I may have to work if and when I apply for/enroll in it. Those Immino/micro classes all seem like they have to be taken together though.:scared:

ha, thanks?

I sent the program an email today asking about first semester course recommendations. Will share if they respond--but Wayne is usually super slow about responding to emails.

ha, thanks?

I sent the program an email today asking about first semester course recommendations. Will share if they respond--but Wayne is usually super slow about responding to emails.

Lol sorry if I weirded you out. I think someone in this thread said Brenda is sick. But yeah they are slow at times.

:p just seemed like a lot of enthusiasm for thinking about classes
Lol right I was more referring to your getting into the program. If you do well it puts you one more step towards being a doctor! Thar calls for a little enthusiasm right? :D

Lol right I was more referring to your getting into the program. If you do well it puts you one more step towards being a doctor! Thar calls for a little enthusiasm right? :D

Haha true. But keep in mind it's not one of the particularly selective programs, and I'm sure that they will send out emails soon and everyone waiting to hear will get in.

Unless they said "GOD I HATE THAT I HAVE TO DO THIS PROGRAM" somewhere in the app.

Haha true. But keep in mind it's not one of the particularly selective programs, and I'm sure that they will send out emails soon and everyone waiting to hear will get in.

Unless they said "GOD I HATE THAT I HAVE TO DO THIS PROGRAM" somewhere in the app.
I see. I am sure if you are still trying to do the MD prog at UT that they may have heard of it. Maybe the BMS prog is similar to the UT SOM's version?

It does seem that it is not as selective but I think the rigor makes up for it, or not?

Hey everyone! It's nice to see people getting a bit excited about the BMS program. I finished my first year in late April and am currently applying to medical school--fingers crossed!

If you're wondering which classes to take for the first semester, most of us took 8 credits. At orientation, they recommended that we take BMB 7010 (Biochem) and PSL 7010 (Physio I). Some students took more than 8 credits, but most of us felt that BMB and PSL were more than enough to keep us busy, especially those of us who work.

Also, note that you'll need 20 credits to apply to Wayne. I took 8 credits my first semester and 12 credits my second. Taking 12 credits at once was hectic, so maybe try to do 10 and 10 if you feel you can handle it (though I still recommend starting with 8 for the first semester).

If you have more questions about the program, feel free to message me. I look forward to seeing some of you around in the fall!

Hey everyone! It's nice to see people getting a bit excited about the BMS program. I finished my first year in late April and am currently applying to medical school--fingers crossed!

If you're wondering which classes to take for the first semester, most of us took 8 credits. At orientation, they recommended that we take BMB 7010 (Biochem) and PSL 7010 (Physio I). Some students took more than 8 credits, but most of us felt that BMB and PSL were more than enough to keep us busy, especially those of us who work.

Also, note that you'll need 20 credits to apply to Wayne. I took 8 credits my first semester and 12 credits my second. Taking 12 credits at once was hectic, so maybe try to do 10 and 10 if you feel you can handle it (though I still recommend starting with 8 for the first semester).

If you have more questions about the program, feel free to message me. I look forward to seeing some of you around in the fall!

I am wondering about the course load myself. I work midday. I don't think the Biochem is in the cards is it required that you take that combo? Thanks! Also Could you elaborate more on those that worked and how it panned out for them? I may be one of those people.

None of the classes in the program are "required," but you'll need four "core" courses to be eligible to graduate from the program and/or apply to Wayne. These include physio and biochem, but they also include courses like microbiology. Biochem tends to fill up quickly, so if you're considering it, I'd register for it now just to hold your place if possible.

I work about 15 hours a week, and I found that 8 credits was very doable given this schedule, especially since it was just one class per day. Twelve credits second semester was a kick in the butt, but I made it work. Some people in my program work 40 hours a week and still do well. I guess the bottom line is that if you're willing to devote enough time to study and don't take too many credits at once (8 is full-time, by the way), you'll do well.

I will say that I didn't do so well in undergrad biochem and was kind of wary about taking it again. The biochem through the BMS program is graded very generously, though (an 80 percent is a solid A). Physio is a bit harder, but an A or A- is still achievable if you go through the lectures and really understand the material.

And in case anyone is curious, once you accumulate 20 BCPM credits in the program, Wayne considers your grad science GPA to be your new science GPA when looking over your app. (So don't listen to everything you hear on this site about how grad GPAs don't matter!)

Last edited:
None of the classes in the program are "required," but you'll need four "core" courses to be eligible to graduate from the program and/or apply to Wayne. These include physio and biochem, but they also include courses like microbiology. Biochem tends to fill up quickly, so if you're considering it, I'd register for it now just to hold your place if possible.

I work about 15 hours a week, and I found that 8 credits was very doable given this schedule, especially since it was just one class per day. Twelve credits second semester was a kick in the butt, but I made it work. Some people in my program work 40 hours a week and still do well. I guess the bottom line is that if you're willing to devote enough time to study and don't take too many credits at once (8 is full-time, by the way), you'll do well.

I will say that I went to U of M for undergrad and didn't do so well in biochem there, so I was kind of wary about taking biochem again. The biochem through the BMS program is graded very generously, though (an 80 percent is a solid A). Physio is a bit harder, but an A or A- is still achievable if you go through the lectures and really understand the material.

And in case anyone is curious, once you accumulate 20 BCPM credits in the program, Wayne considers your grad science GPA to be your new science GPA when looking over your app. (So don't listen to everything you hear on this site about how grad GPAs don't matter!)

Sounds like I'm good to go with the core classes as there are more than 4 cores and I won't be able to take biochem(among others) in the early afternoon. Now all I have to do is take the MCAT :scared: (even though I have a GRE score that may be too low).

Also, when you guys are putting in wayne on AMCAS for future course work, are you putting 2012 or 2013 as the "end date"?

And i know that there is the list of "core" classes, but does anyone know what our options are as far as the other classes go?

Last edited:
Has anyone received an email yet?? I spoke with Brenda earlier today and she said that the emails went out yesterday however I haven't mine yet.

Has anyone received an email yet?? I spoke with Brenda earlier today and she said that the emails went out yesterday however I haven't mine yet.

That's...weird. She told me I was accepted on the phone and that I would receive an email last week and I still haven't...will call now...

EDIT: Ok, called--found out they still had the email I used when I applied to UNDERGRAD at wayne on file, instead of my @umich.edu email....

Not sure what the case is with all of them, but they said they're not through the list of emails to send out yet.

Last edited:
That's...weird. She told me I was accepted on the phone and that I would receive an email last week and I still haven't...will call now...

EDIT: Ok, called--found out they still had the email I used when I applied to UNDERGRAD at wayne on file, instead of my @umich.edu email....

Not sure what the case is with all of them, but they said they're not through the list of emails to send out yet.

Oh okay, thanks. I'm assuming there may have been a mix up because there are a few people with the same last name as mine that have applied. Hopefully I'll receive the email soon.I'm just stressing a bit because Brenda didn't know wheather or not I was accepted only that my file had been reviewed and that the sent the email out yesterday.