Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A question for the third years - how much do you guys use your PDAs? I have a PDA-Phone that I bought that meets the school requirements, but I just put a gouge in the screen - so I'm thinking about replacing it, but I'm wondering if I can get away with getting one that doesn't meet the requirements (like the Motorola Q, or a Palm OS one) - so I guess what I'm asking is - are there campus mobility things that you guys have to use, or could I get away with avoiding this stuff? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A question for the third years - how much do you guys use your PDAs? I have a PDA-Phone that I bought that meets the school requirements, but I just put a gouge in the screen - so I'm thinking about replacing it, but I'm wondering if I can get away with getting one that doesn't meet the requirements (like the Motorola Q, or a Palm OS one) - so I guess what I'm asking is - are there campus mobility things that you guys have to use, or could I get away with avoiding this stuff? Thanks

there are campus mobility programs that you'll be using to log cases/patients and to do evals (if you do your evals on a PDA).

How many weeks of electives does WSU have? I think I remember 12 from the tour, but I'm not sure. Would I have to pay for everything on an away rotation? Do many people use all of their electives for away rotations? Has anybody heard of students getting in on international rotations of other schools? ...couldn't find the info on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
so is the match list up for wayne anywhere?

How many weeks of electives does WSU have? I think I remember 12 from the tour, but I'm not sure. Would I have to pay for everything on an away rotation? Do many people use all of their electives for away rotations? Has anybody heard of students getting in on international rotations of other schools? ...couldn't find the info on their website.

i will answer what i know... if you don't get answers here, email kertia black. I do not think you can do all of your rotations away. I believe I heard that a majority have to be at a wayne hospital- afterall, your diploma is coming from wayne. I do believe a lot of people do away rotations, especially if they are planning on a competitive speciality. I do remember being told by the administration that it is pretty easy for students to do international rotations. I do not know what the student pays for.. Are there schools out there that will pay for students to do away rotations? This seems counterintuitive since most students are paying a tuition just to do the rotations at their home institution.

@UMP: I have been looking for wayne's matchlist as well. Last year, it was emailed around a week or two after the match. If I remember, I will post here when we get it.

i will answer what i know... if you don't get answers here, email kertia black. I do not think you can do all of your rotations away. I believe I heard that a majority have to be at a wayne hospital- afterall, your diploma is coming from wayne. I do believe a lot of people do away rotations, especially if they are planning on a competitive speciality. I do remember being told by the administration that it is pretty easy for students to do international rotations. I do not know what the student pays for.. Are there schools out there that will pay for students to do away rotations? This seems counterintuitive since most students are paying a tuition just to do the rotations at their home institution.

@UMP: I have been looking for wayne's matchlist as well. Last year, it was emailed around a week or two after the match. If I remember, I will post here when we get it.

is it hard to set up these away rotations, in... chicago or something? What goes in to applying for these spots, are they always given out, and do they cost more money?

is it hard to set up these away rotations, in... chicago or something? What goes in to applying for these spots, are they always given out, and do they cost more money?
perhaps a 3rd or 4th year will know... i always kind of assumed it would be up to us to pay for it... or at least the living arrangements... but i could be wrong. i do not think it is that hard, but i don't know the details of the actual process. this process should be the same no matter what school you go to... it just involves finding a program and then applying for the program.

OK - Who wishes spring break was another week longer? I know I do. One good thing though...I'm not behind yet.

OK - Who wishes spring break was another week longer? I know I do. One good thing though...I'm not behind yet.

well, i wish spring break was at least a month longer.... i had a lot of fun... and... i am behind by about a day on watching lectures, but that is normal. i will be caught up by tonight.

any 3rd years have any advice regardng step1?

well, i wish spring break was at least a month longer.... i had a lot of fun... and... i am behind by about a day on watching lectures, but that is normal. i will be caught up by tonight.

any 3rd years have any advice regardng step1?

Study, study, study, then study some more. Intersperse this marathon of studying with thousands of practice questions. Those 4-6 weeks will test your endurance as much as anything else.

Hey fellow home studiers! Just an FYI: Endocrine Lab is NOT required!!! Blackboard makes it official. I just found out this morning, and totally changed my plans for the day....

Hey fellow home studiers! Just an FYI: Endocrine Lab is NOT required!!! Blackboard makes it official. I just found out this morning, and totally changed my plans for the day....
It's a little absurd, how happy I am to hear this, awesome

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a little absurd, how happy I am to hear this, awesome

hmm... since the answers will be posted, i might have to reconsider my plans as well.... only thing we could miss out on is if they have picture slides that they do not post. oh well...

Would any WSUSOM students offer their opinion on the necessity/usefulness of owning a pocket PC during years 1 and 2? The School recommends buying one during year 1, but also says that it isn't required for MS1's. Thanks in advance.

Our class got 1 elective during 3rd year, and 8 electives during 4th year. So that would be 36wks. You can take up to 3 months off during 4th year, and only 3 months can be done in the same specialty. 3 away electives are allowed durng 4th year.

Of course, this is subject to change, I don't think the classes after us will have a year III elective.

I don't think an online match list has been posted. A pdf was emailed to us, but only lists how many people went into each specialty, which isn't that informative.

2007 2006

Anesthesia 8 10
Dermatology 3 3
Emergency 25 28
Family Medicine 23 21
General Surgery 7 13
General Surgery with Emphasis on Urology 1 0
Internal Medicine 38 37
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics 8 7
Internal Medicine/Preliminary 10 7
Internal Medicine/Primary Care 3 0
Neurology 4 7
Neurosurgery 5 3
OB/Gyn 11 11
Ophthalmology 5 4
Orthopedics 4 14
Otolaryngology (ENT) 6 3
Pathology 5 4
Pediatrics 15 17
Pediatrics/Physical Medicine &Rehabilitation 1 0
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 6 4
Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry 1 1
Pediatrics/Community Health 1 0
Plastic Surgery 2 1
Psychiatry 15 8
Radiation Oncology 1 1
Radiation (Diagnostic) 14 25
Surgery/Preliminary 11 3
Transitional Year 21 24
Urology 4 1
Deferring Residency Training 3 3

The first number listed above is for 2007, and the second number is last year.

Would any WSUSOM students offer their opinion on the necessity/usefulness of owning a pocket PC during years 1 and 2? The School recommends buying one during year 1, but also says that it isn't required for MS1's. Thanks in advance.

I would hold off, they are kind of a waste.

The first number listed above is for 2007, and the second number is last year.

When I asked Ms. Connors about the match statistics so we can consider the various programs across the country, she said that she would provide us more specific information (i.e. what specific programs people matched into) as soon as she gets the list from Dr. Black.

And I agree with ddmo that the PDAs are a waste of time, especially in y1 and y2. There is very little use for one in y3 as well. If you are looking to use one for the drugs during your clinical years, you would be better served with getting your hands on a MPR book. Just as much information, lighter than my PDA, and I don't have to worry about it getting damaged in the hospitals.

Our class got 1 elective during 3rd year, and 8 electives during 4th year. So that would be 36wks. You can take up to 3 months off during 4th year, and only 3 months can be done in the same specialty. 3 away electives are allowed durng 4th year.

Of course, this is subject to change, I don't think the classes after us will have a year III elective.

dang... do you know why they won't be offerring third year electives? This seems rather important to me. Students already do not have a lot of time to figure out what they want to do. I was looking forward to an early elective. Of course, I may have no idea what I am talking about.

Do those 3 months off during 4th year include the 1 month off students can get for being part of cocurricular?

Do not buy a PDA until you are forced to... it is just another $300 toy.

I don't think an online match list has been posted. A pdf was emailed to us, but only lists how many people went into each specialty, which isn't that informative.

2007 2006

Anesthesia 8 10
Dermatology 3 3
Emergency 25 28
Family Medicine 23 21
General Surgery 7 13
General Surgery with Emphasis on Urology 1 0
Internal Medicine 38 37
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics 8 7
Internal Medicine/Preliminary 10 7
Internal Medicine/Primary Care 3 0
Neurology 4 7
Neurosurgery 5 3
OB/Gyn 11 11
Ophthalmology 5 4
Orthopedics 4 14
Otolaryngology (ENT) 6 3
Pathology 5 4
Pediatrics 15 17
Pediatrics/Physical Medicine &Rehabilitation 1 0
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 6 4
Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry 1 1
Pediatrics/Community Health 1 0
Plastic Surgery 2 1
Psychiatry 15 8
Radiation Oncology 1 1
Radiation (Diagnostic) 14 25
Surgery/Preliminary 11 3
Transitional Year 21 24
Urology 4 1
Deferring Residency Training 3 3

wow... nearly 10% of the class in radiology last year and only 14 this year? Was last year a lot or was this year few ?

wow... nearly 10% of the class in radiology last year and only 14 this year? Was last year a lot or was this year few ?

In 2005, 13 people went into radiology. Not sure what to make of it... i think it probably just depends on the number of students nterested in radiology.

Attachments

• wayne macthlist 2005.pdf
    99 KB · Views: 478
dang... do you know why they won't be offerring third year electives? This seems rather important to me. Students already do not have a lot of time to figure out what they want to do. I was looking forward to an early elective. Of course, I may have no idea what I am talking about.

Do those 3 months off during 4th year include the 1 month off students can get for being part of cocurricular?

Do not buy a PDA until you are forced to... it is just another $300 toy.
You should ask your councilor about whether you guys will have a third year elective.

No, those 3 months do not include the extra month for co-curricular. If you did co-curricular you can take 4 months off during 4th year.

It has to do with how many people want to go into Rads. Dr. Smith the Chairmen at Wayne has the matching system down to a near science, and the matching rate of Wayne grads into Rads is over 90% (I can't remember the exact number), much higher than most schools. Last year was unique with 25 people matching (25 out of 26 I believe).

It has to do with how many people want to go into Rads. Dr. Smith the Chairmen at Wayne has the matching system down to a near science, and the matching rate of Wayne grads into Rads is over 90% (I can't remember the exact number), much higher than most schools. Last year was unique with 25 people matching (25 out of 26 I believe).

that's good to hear. Rads is one of my preliminary interests :thumbup:

is the ortho residency expected to start again before 2011?

I would guess that number is down so much because of the DMC contract issue.

Alright, anyone else in that sauna of a class meeting wondering about rotations?

I think I want to do primary care first - peds, specifically (so I can tank my first one and not care too much)

Are there any third years we can pimp on what locations to choose, or any way to get back to the old thread so I can see what the current 3rd years said around this time?

Alright, anyone else in that sauna of a class meeting wondering about rotations?

I think I want to do primary care first - peds, specifically (so I can tank my first one and not care too much)

Are there any third years we can pimp on what locations to choose, or any way to get back to the old thread so I can see what the current 3rd years said around this time?

you can search sdn for wayne and you should be able to find "part 1" (aka the old thread). I was also hoping to do primary care first (peds or fp, hopefully) for the same reasons.

OK, I didn't get the memo that the meeting changed from 4 to 3, and I really didn't want to sit in that hot a$$ room for him to do it again when the session was supposed to be streamed - however - anyone know where we can get this stream?

Some general advice, but please note that any one of us can offer only one perspective.

1. Whichever specialt(y/ies) you do not want to do, do those first. The attendings and residents will be much more concerned with getting the July interns experience and you will be pushed aside. Also, in July/August, no one expects much out of you anyway. Trust me that you do not want to be dreading upcoming rotations.
2. You will be worked harder at DMC than elsewhere. This can either work for you (emerging much better than when you went in) or against you (emerging each day wanting to drown yourself in booze as you count down the days).
3. If you are at DMC, you will have an easier time getting to required lectures and activities.
4. Be mindful of road construction and traffic, as you are not allowed to be late or absent, ever. I-75 jams up at 6:30am nowadays with the Lodge shut down, and it will be that way until Labor Day at the earliest.
5. Get out of Detroit in Family Med if possible. You will notice a major difference between that and your other rotations.
6. Schedule a balance between rotations at DMC/Henry Ford and the suburban hospitals to give yourself a more well-rounded experience, but do not schedule yourself at hospitals far away (don't drive to Beaumont if you live near St. John's and vice versa). Refer to #4 above.
7. Remember that residency teams rotate between services as often as we rotate between specialties. One person's experience in one place, especially DMC, does not mean everyone had that experience.

4. Be mindful of road construction and traffic, as you are not allowed to be late or absent, ever. I-75 jams up at 6:30am nowadays with the Lodge shut down, and it will be that way until Labor Day at the earliest.

I think that scared me more than anything else.

HATE DETROIT TRAFFIC SO MUCH. Will set up clinic in my backyard and rotate there. So Nyah.

OK, I didn't get the memo that the meeting changed from 4 to 3, and I really didn't want to sit in that hot a$$ room for him to do it again when the session was supposed to be streamed - however - anyone know where we can get this stream?
yah, i can't find the stream either. will prob be up tomorrow... i think the video guys tend to not get much done in way of posting vids after 3pm

Fun8 - thanks for the heads up as to how to find the old thread. Obviously, I need to spend more time on here. (Livejournal tends to eat my free time instead)

Here's your reward, a quote from you circa 2006:

man, i made the mistake of looking at 2nd years schedule last night. Classes until 4-6pm reguarly? Exams every 2 weeks? I suddenly became depressed. At least you guys are almost done with it!

Fun8 - thanks for the heads up as to how to find the old thread. Obviously, I need to spend more time on here. (Livejournal tends to eat my free time instead)

man, i made the mistake of looking at 2nd years schedule last night. Classes until 4-6pm reguarly? Exams every 2 weeks? I suddenly became depressed. At least you guys are almost done with it!

you turned down your U of M interview... you're crazy! :smuggrin: ;)

No offense to the school itself, I just know I wouldn't have been happy there.

...Truth of the matter is that I probably wouldn't have gotten in anyways, and thus I just use it to needle arrogant med people.

i would feel better about the "almost done" part if we didnt have step 1 looming over our heads.

No offense to the school itself, I just know I wouldn't have been happy there.

...Truth of the matter is that I probably wouldn't have gotten in anyways, and thus I just use it to needle arrogant med people.

I just wanted to compliment you on your blog, really... I read it from the beginning to the latest entry a few weeks ago on a boring weekend. Fun stuff :thumbup:

yay! 110 pages of new notes 3 days before exam! I think I am about to get wayne'd...

Thanks, UMP!

And I'm sensing a definite BOHICA moment coming up. I don't care about pathology, but goddamn I need to get my pharm score up.

so should i take my PD physical exam the day before the neuro exam or the day before GI exam?

so should i take my PD physical exam the day before the neuro exam or the day before GI exam?

It's up to you. For the most part, take it the day before the exam you are better prepared for so you have the study day for the exam you are more worried about. If I remember correctly, the exams are about the same difficulty, but the neuro exam has much more material.

My inner monologue tonight:

"Pulsatile GnRH... LH.... hormone receptor... Oh God, this test is gonna suck... ovaries....follicular....****it, I'm going to go watch The Muppets."

It was the one with Diana Ross. :)

My inner monologue tonight:

"Pulsatile GnRH... LH.... hormone receptor... Oh God, this test is gonna suck... ovaries....follicular....****it, I'm going to go watch The Muppets."

It was the one with Diana Ross. :)

i became addcted to this game lastnight... just finally beat it:
http://www.ninjakiwi.com/bloons.html

my goal is to read the notes twice through total. i have not been the best studier for this unit... i think the warm weather got to me.

i never thought i would say this, but i am sick of studying breasts! :eek:

I Hate Endo - Aghhhhhhhhhhh!

This unit is so random!!! And why was there so much new material today?????????? If I weren't such a die hard OB/GYN gunner, this unit would totally turn me off the girlie medicine.

I'm having a hard time focusing, can you tell? And were there notes for the first hour of Breast today? Cause I can't find them. Urg!!!

They're after the second hour's lecture notes, after the definitions.

I know, because I took notes for the first hour on the second hour's notes thing "WTF, mate?" the whole time. And then found the new notes.

Screw this unit. All I need to know about Ovaries is why they go pitter-pat when I watch Good Eats.

Ok this is totally weird. I'm watching the review just now when, all the sudden, the video flips upsidedown and backwards. WTF???? What else can go wrong? I shouldn't ask.... I think it has something to do with my crazy Mac OSX. Doesn't play nice with our schools lectures.... but it waited 2 years to flip the video upside down..... very eerie......

Thanks Inked for the heads-up. There those notes are on that crazy packet. I should just go to bed now.