Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if it is possible to upload our class schedules onto a iphone/blackberry? Any ideas on how to do it if it can be done?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if it is possible to upload our class schedules onto a iphone/blackberry? Any ideas on how to do it if it can be done?
upload them to gmail, then to iphone. i am fuzzy on the details, but i know you used to be able to get them into gmail.

I gotta newbie freshman question, does Fin-Aid get dispersed before Orientation, or only after you register at Orientation?

I get to register on the last day, and am planning out my monies. I have some furniture to buy, but it looks like I will need that money to pay all the various fees because my aid won't be dispersed by that time. :eek:

I was just really enamored with the idea of having my apartment set up before school started..

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta newbie freshman question, does Fin-Aid get dispersed before Orientation, or only after you register at Orientation?

I get to register on the last day, and am planning out my monies. I have some furniture to buy, but it looks like I will need that money to pay all the various fees because my aid won't be dispersed by that time. :eek:

I was just really enamored with the idea of having my apartment set up before school started..

after.... and as to when is variable. the money gets dispersed to the school, but then it takes a few days-weeks to actually reimburse the money. if you haven't already, go onto pipeline and do direct deposit, you'll get your money a lot faster. otherwise they have to cut a check and mail it to you.

if anyone can tell me about sites other than Troy/Livonia, I'd appreciate knowing what other options are good, too.

Thanks so much.

Hey...well in case anyone reads this in the future, Ann Arbor was fine. Our step 1 counselor advises against it because of technical problems someone had in the past. Someone near me did have his computer restarted during his test (don't know which test). The temperature was comfortable. You can hear the trucks zoom by on the highway but it's not very distracting (vs keyboard typers near you which you'll get anywhere). I guess ear plugs were allowed there according to a sheet I read before going in. I would have used them to block out the typing noises but didn't have any with me. Don't rule out wearing ear plugs and double check if you are an earplug person. There are audio questions but the question prompts you to put on headphones. The headphones do not block noise (it's bs if anyone tells you otherwise). The only annoying thing I found was that in order to use the bathroom you had to get a key from the intake desk and there was only one key. So if you give yourself a 5-min bathroom break be prepared to wait for someone to come back with the key.

The student branch of the AMA. I wouldn't recommend you join unless you really want to but a lot of us have them sell the books during M1 orientation.

Hi, sorry you are incorrect about AMSA being the student branch of the AMA. The AMA and AMSA are completely separate organizations. If you choose to join you can be as active as you want to be. You get a free Netter if you join AMSA and sign up for their credit card. You get other free random stuff from the AMA (usually a Stedman's dictionary/Netter cards for iPod/Nalgene). AMSA is very active in our school. If you are interested in universal healthcare/equality/human rights/social justice/liberal issues AMSA is a good organization for you. Someone feel free to correct me or elaborate. If you choose to get involved in the AMA, the activities you might get involved in are networking with local physicians, policy reform, and learning about/getting involved with current issues that the physicians in our area and state are working towards through political action. Issues are presented to the Michigan State Medical Societ (as in the state of Michigan) or AMA on the national level and when the house agrees on supporting an issue the organization pushes to get legislature changed (just one example). One perk to being involved with the AMA is that it is an organization you can be directly involved in when you graduate from medical school. AMSA is more for medical students, although I imagine they have physicians as advisors and you could stay active with them that way.

Hey guys, I'm getting a place that is about a 10 minute walk from Scott Hall. It's on Woodward Ave and Martin Luther King Blvd (next to the Bank of America and Starbucks).

To me at least, it seems like it's a safe enough walk during the daytime, but what about after dark? The reason that I am asking is because I am debating whether to get the Wayne State year round parking pass just in case. It seems like an unnecessary $400 purchase. I figure that I can just leave my car parked at my apartment.

What do you guys think?

Hey guys, I'm getting a place that is about a 10 minute walk from Scott Hall. It's on Woodward Ave and Martin Luther King Blvd (next to the Bank of America and Starbucks).

To me at least, it seems like it's a safe enough walk during the daytime, but what about after dark? The reason that I am asking is because I am debating whether to get the Wayne State year round parking pass just in case. It seems like an unnecessary $400 purchase. I figure that I can just leave my car parked at my apartment.

What do you guys think?

it depends on how late you're talking about. you can always cut through UHC/Harper to get a little closer... but i wouldn't walk around too much downtown after about 9pm. However, there are parking options after 5 if you choose to go home and drive back to study.

Definitely sign up for direct deposit! I think I got my reimbursement three weeks after orientation. It takes a while for the fin aid people to get everything done...wayne can be really slow like that.

it depends on how late you're talking about. you can always cut through UHC/Harper to get a little closer... but i wouldn't walk around too much downtown after about 9pm. However, there are parking options after 5 if you choose to go home and drive back to study.

Since it's all supposedly interconnected, is it possible to walk through the DMC complex of tunnels from the Mack Ave side of it (UHC, Harper, Rehabilitation Institute) all the way to Scott Hall?

And just how safe is the Woodward and Martin Luther King/Mack area? I noticed a few homeless people wandering around there, but that seems to be the norm everwhere within the vicinity of DMC.

I mean there seems to be lots of commercial (starbucks, kinkos, banks, coney island, etc.), residential (Ellington Lofts) and institutional things (Wayne State buildings, UofM buildings, DMC, galleries, etc.) in the immediate area. There was also a noiticeable heavy police presence. So that made me think that it was a relatively safe area. Just a little concered I guess......would like some more feedback....

Since it's all supposedly interconnected, is it possible to walk through the DMC complex of tunnels from the Mack Ave side of it (UHC, Harper, Rehabilitation Institute) all the way to Scott Hall?

And just how safe is the Woodward and Martin Luther King/Mack area? I noticed a few homeless people wandering around there, but that seems to be the norm everwhere within the vicinity of DMC.

I mean there seems to be lots of commercial (starbucks, kinkos, banks, coney island, etc.), residential (Ellington Lofts) and institutional things (Wayne State buildings, UofM buildings, DMC, galleries, etc.) in the immediate area. There was also a noiticeable heavy police presence. So that made me think that it was a relatively safe area. Just a little concered I guess......would like some more feedback....

are you a guy or girl? if you are a guy, you probably won't have much problem.... but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful. i walked all around that area over the last 4 years. Lived close to there and had friends who lived in that area. i never had any problems. i have heard of a couple people who got mugged... usually it is around 1-2 am and they are drunk/not paying attention to surroundings, but not always. the random homeless bums picking cigs out of the trash is the norm. use common sense... try and stay in well lit areas, don't carry a lot of cash, etc.

don't buy the $400 parking pass... ever. you can walk. if you are running late, keep money on your one card and park in the flat lot. you are in a good location. you should be fine walking in that area after dark (without tunnels) as long as you are mindful of surroundings and try and stay in the lit areas.

Thanks for the advice fun8stuff. And I'm a guy.

A While back, someone said that one could find cheaper insurance than what is offered by the school.

I found a plan by HAP that looks good, but I was wondering if other people knew any other companies that offered health insurance to individuals in the area.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

i know it's at least possible from the john r entrance of harper. i hear it's possible from RIM, but i've yet to figure out how.

ditto on what fun8stuff said though.

i know it's at least possible from the john r entrance of harper. i hear it's possible from RIM, but i've yet to figure out how.

ditto on what fun8stuff said though.

yeah, i think i did it once from RIM. i don't remember exactly how though... i think you might have to walk upstairs then back down... it was a pain.

A While back, someone said that one could find cheaper insurance than what is offered by the school.

I found a plan by HAP that looks good, but I was wondering if other people knew any other companies that offered health insurance to individuals in the area.

Thanks!

i dont know if they officially let you buy other insurance yet or not. it was a rip off through the school though. they require everyone to have it and make you all go through the same agency. There is no incentive for that agency to give you a good deal.

The way i got around it was to buy health insurance (A cheaper high deductible plan through another agency) and have it in my wife's name. When the school asked for it I gave them the insurance info and said it was through her employer (at the time she was in college and her job did not offer insurance). You were allowed to go without the school's insurance if you were covered under your parents or spouse. I hoped that if they checked they wouldnt be able to tell whether it was through her employer or not. It seemed to have worked for the first 2 years, although I dont think I was ever randomly selected those 2 years. After the first 2 years she got a real job that offered insurance. My MS4 year WSU did check and it was a really painful process trying to prove to them that I was covered under her work insurance.... we had to get this letter from her employer stating i was covered under her work insurance. The company WSU goes through wanted us to fax it, but every time we did they "conveniently" lost the fax and I ended up having to snail mail and scan and send it in an email and then drive to the school to show them the letter because I was day(s) away from the school automatically signing me up for insurance and charging me.

Fun8Stuff thanks a lot for the advice! I took a closer look at the forms and it does specify GROUP coverage. So it is total BS that I can not go out and get a cheaper individual plan.

I had found a plan cheaper than my COBRA coverage.. since I didn't want to deal with the redtape that comes with my COBRA coverage. :mad:

Thanks for your info, it makes my decisions and fact finding clearer. :thumbup:

Does anyone know if the surface lot is going to be open like it was last year for the first week? I know that canfield is being resurfaced and the entrance to the structure is closed for that street. Is there even an entrance to the lot from the other corner?

According to the papers I have been sent from the admissions office, the Scott Hall surface lot will be open between 8/03 and 8/07 from 7 AM till 5 PM.

YES! FREE PARKING next week! Score! :)

Don't know if they are still using it, but is anyone interested in a 4th edition of Essential Haematology by hoffbrand et al.?
Bought it new. Still has the original price tag on the cover.
Barely used it (no writing/highlighting).

Looking to sell...

Hey everyone, as a non-resident student, I've been trying desperately for a way to try and get in state tuition (at some point) but so far have come up empty..

My dad is an alum of the med school though, does anyone know if this can factor into getting resident status? I heard about it happening at some undergrad colleges, but not sure if Wayne will consider it..any thoughts/ extra suggestions for loopholes are appreciated.

Hey everyone, as a non-resident student, I've been trying desperately for a way to try and get in state tuition (at some point) but so far have come up empty..

My dad is an alum of the med school though, does anyone know if this can factor into getting resident status? I heard about it happening at some undergrad colleges, but not sure if Wayne will consider it..any thoughts/ extra suggestions for loopholes are appreciated.

i think you have to live in state for a year, work, and pay MI taxes to get instate tuition. No real loop holes. WSU gets extra money from the state to subsidize the education of instate students (with the idea that they will stay in MI after residency and provide access to care for MI residents). WSU likes money too much to let you skate by, unless you have the grades/scores/experiences/personality to get a scholarship.

Last edited:
Any of you senior year students have tips for the upcoming anatomy/histo exam for first years?

Any of you senior year students have tips for the upcoming anatomy/histo exam for first years?

Rohen is your friend, especially right before the exam when the lab is on "lock down".
Those exam days are very long, be aware of that and plan accordingly.
And actually the best source of tips will be your MS2s - since the courses all change a little from year to year, so it will be best from the people closest to it (that and I have long since forgotten much of MS1&2).
Also, read all questions in detail and answer what they actually are asking and not what you think they are asking (there are some tricky questions in the WSU Qbank).

More time in lab = higher score. Go through Grants Dissector and find all the bold words on many different bodies, not just your own.

Test day is long and draining so eat a good breakfast. Don't drink too much coffee.

During the lab practical, read ahead at rest stations. You can answer some questions without looking at the body. First thing at each station: write down what structure is pinned. THEN answer the question.

For the written exams know everything in the notes.

Take two motrin or tylenol before you start the practical! My head and back hurt half way through! if you don't know the structure, sketch a quick pic so you can go back to the question during a rest.

Read the questions on the written carefully! You have plenty of time to finish, so don't worry about that. I made some stupid errors on my first written anatomy just by not reading the question correctly.

Crossland loves details and pics questions that are literally one-liners from your notes. So just know everything for that. The first histo is not bad, but the next ones are harder.

Good luck!

Take two motrin or tylenol before you start

I did this for every 1st and 2nd year test after the 1st set of exams.... Prophylactically. I learned my lesson and would not be fooled again.

Other than that, sleep well the night before the night before. Study Rohen's once the lab is closed, but go in to the lab while you can. And try not to stress... It's your first med school exams, give yourself the chance to figure it all out... but study well in the meantime.

I would do as many of the old exams as possible - esp. for anatomy. Histo was def plain memorization of notes - so as long as you know that stuff in and out - no problem - really not much critical thinking required there.

For anatomy - keep repeating the material every single day for a few hours after class - to the point that you know the structures in and out - make tables, draw them out - whatever works for you - so that you have gone over everything many many times even a few days before the last weekend rolls around. The last thing you want is to have to cram for anatomy- which is practically impossible to do in two days.

I think that the best advice I received when I started med school is to study to the max for the first two exams - and then adjust the number of hours studied depending on your performance. And the best way to keep track of how you are doing is to take the practice exams - I can't say that enough. I would recommend you take a practice exam in anatomy now - even though you guys might not have gone over that much - and then at least two each week. And btw - the worst advice I have ever received is that the classes in first year don't really matter that much for step 1. That you just need to get through them and then not worry about it since most of Step 1 is the stuff from second year. When I was preparing to take Step 1 - I realized just how much I had forgotten in anatomy and that I wish I had really consolidated that knowledge first year rather than just memorized and forgotten all of it after the exam. And to my surprise - my step 1 exam was 30% basic anatomy. So - everything you are learning now is important and if you really know it - it won't come back to bite you a year from now.

Your Step 1 had 30% anatomy? That's surprising.

I will still say that M1 doesn't matter that much for Step 1. Biochem I had about 2 questions. Any of the important info is repeated in path or pharm. Obviously the second time around is much easier if you understood the concepts and physiology from M1. Anatomy and Biochem are subjects you don't really need to study for on Step 1 so on that point you are correct that you should get a strong basis first year. The point is not killing yourself over grades and excessive studying. You will forget all of the details about muscles for anatomy and especially biochem pathways.

Last edited:
Your Step 1 bad 30% anatomy? That's surprising.

I will still say that M1 doesn't matter that much for Step 1. Biochem I had about 2 questions. Any of the important info is repeated in path or pharm. Obviously the second time around is much easier if you understood the concepts and physiology from M1. Anatomy and Biochem are subjects you don't really need to study for on Step 1 so on that point you are correct that you should get a strong basis first year. The point is not killing yourself over grades and excessive studying. You will forget all of the details about muscles for anatomy and especially biochem pathways.

my step 1 was mostly year 2 stuff, not to say you can totally neglect year 1 stuff though. i would say most of the year 1 stuff that you have to know can be found as bullet points in first aid or is something that year 2 built directly upon... in other words, stuff that helps you understand the pathophys.... anatomy or biochem relevant to the disease process.

Got my surgery shelf score finally. Anyone have any idea what the scores/SD mean? I know the score given is not a percent but our group mean was a 69 and an average SD is always 8. The scores they gave us are a "written exam score" and SD.

I'm looking into doing my 3rd and 4th year rotations at a couple different hospitals in Detroit. DMC Huron Valley, DMC Sinai Grace, Henry Ford Wyandotte, and Oakwood South Shore. I would be picking one of these sites not going to all four. Do you guys know anything about any of these sites and where you would recommend living/not living? Thanks.

I'm looking into doing my 3rd and 4th year rotations at a couple different hospitals in Detroit. DMC Huron Valley, DMC Sinai Grace, Henry Ford Wyandotte, and Oakwood South Shore. I would be picking one of these sites not going to all four. Do you guys know anything about any of these sites and where you would recommend living/not living? Thanks.

There's a few factors here. I think DMC Huron Valley, Henry Ford Wyandotte, and Oakwood South Shore are comparable. These are smaller, satellite, suburban community hospitals. They might be OK places to do a rotation or two when you want an easier month in a field that you're not interested in, but your experience will be limited IMO if you do all your training at one of these places. I did my internship at a hospital similar to these places, and we got very routine cases.

Sinai Grace is a historically Jewish hospital now affiliated with the DMC. It's probably not as "nice" as the other three, but it has a broader scope, more opportunities, and likely better training. It's located in a middle class, outer part of Detroit, which is generally free from the blight that you might see in other parts of Detroit.

Another factor you have to consider is location. The most desirable part of Detroit to live in for young people is just North of the city in Royal Oak/Ferndale. This is where a lot of the good restaurants, nice retail is, while still being accessible to downtown as well as Bloomfield Hills within 10-12 miles for commuters. If you live in Royal Oak (or perhaps more likely, just North of Royal Oak where the rents are more affordable), then you'll have an easy commute to both Sinai Grace and Huron Valley.

Henry Ford Wyandotte and Oakwood South Shore are both located in "downriver" Southern suburbs of Detroit. This is a less desirable part of town. Not really dangerous in any way, but just very blue collar, and out of the way from the nice retail that's in Oakland county.

I personally live in Dearborn myself which is a western suburb close to the downriver part of Detroit. I'm looking into moving towards Royal Oak for next year.

Last edited:

Unless things have changed significantly in the past three years, the area around sinai grace can be rather rough. much of the detroit "gun and knife club" has moved from receiving to sinai grace.

anywhere in detroit is likely to be a significant change for you vs the last couple years. (on my brief visit, I don't recall seeing any areas in Kirksville that were anything like many of the areas around Detroit)

that being said, if you are willing to drive than I would go with the largest of the four - expecting that it should give you the broadest clinical experience.

some areas of detroit have very inconvenient commutes, but if there is a relatively straight shot on a freeway then you should be okay - but it will be more of a commute than anything you've seen in Kirksville.

Unless things have changed significantly in the past three years, the area around sinai grace can be rather rough. much of the detroit "gun and knife club" has moved from receiving to sinai grace.

Compared to DMC's downtown location where I also work and where Wayne State is, Sinai Grace is a huge step up. It is a level 2 trauma center. Maybe some folks are interested in seeing traumas? The other three hospitals are not trauma centers. That said the few streets around the hospital look fairly working class, and the stores on the main road are occupied. This is a huge difference from - say - DMC's downtown location/Wayne State where you can see bombed out ghettos that look like Baghdad literally across the road from the hospital on almost all sides with vagrants stumbling around at all hours of day.

To be honest with you, at either location I drive to work and drive back. I don't go out exploring in the evenings or frequenting the local drinking establishments. But the short drive to Sinai Grace from either the M-39 or M-10 expressway is a safe one through decent areas of town. The cafeteria is pretty good and I can get my lunch there without feeling the need to venture out for take away.

Wow... if you think Sinai Grace area is "nice" then you clearly did not grow up in the state -- take a drive down McNichols near Grace and you will probably change your mind. There's a reason Grace sees "more trauma" than the other down town hospitals.

I'm not sure where you (Test Pilot) get off saying the other hospitals are "not trauma centers". Are you even really a student in Detroit??? Maybe you work for Grace and are trying to sell your hospital to students/soon to be residents... either way, smells like a troll. And secondly, I think you are on crack if you're saying Receiving has poor food choices... you couldn't ask for more places -- Cafeteria in Children's, DRH, Harper, Subway, Quiznos, Wendy's, Au Bon Pain all within 5 minutes walking inside... Clearly this beats one cafeteria. (I'm an HFord resident and I greatly miss the DRH food choices)

The down town hospitals are all great trauma centers; this includes Receiving, Hford and Grace. You will see plenty of everything at each of these hospitals, I assure you. Receiving and Hford are Level 1 and Grace is Level 2 for whatever that's worth to you.

To me, a big difference lies in resources. Receiving and Hford have more to offer a student, i.m.o. as the residencies are generally better across the board. (But I think you can learn very well at each hospital!)

I would agree that the burb hospitals are fine places to do some rotations; but if you are exclusively there, you will miss one of the big highlights of attending Wayne State.

Where to start? You seem to have a major reading comprehension problem.

Wow... if you think Sinai Grace area is "nice"

Didn't say that.

then you clearly did not grow up in the state --

Got that right. Not a local and proud of it, though I'm from a nearby city and knew Detroit well before moving here due many prior visits to family/airport/events/etc..

take a drive down McNichols near Grace and you will probably change your mind.

I have no interest in exploring the area. All I know is that between M-39 and M-10, that section of McNichols road looks decent by Detroit standards, though maybe not by Bloomfield Hills standards. That and the few streets surrounding the hospital look fairly middle class without the kind of blight you see in the other 120+ square miles of Detroit. That's all that matters.

There's a reason Grace sees "more trauma" than the other down town hospitals.

Sure, and that's why it's a trauma hospital. :idea:

I'm not sure where you (Test Pilot) get off saying the other hospitals are "not trauma centers".

The other three hospitals our DO friend spoke of are in fact not trauma hospitals.

Are you even really a student in Detroit???

Not a student. I'm a U.S. M.D. graduate.

Maybe you work for Grace and are trying to sell your hospital to students/soon to be residents...

Actually I'm a Wayne State/DMC affiliated resident. I do most of my work at the downtown DMC location.

either way, smells like a troll. And secondly, I think you are on crack if you're saying Receiving has poor food choices...

DRH was never even mentioned, nor was its cafeteria.

you couldn't ask for more places -- Cafeteria in Children's, DRH, Harper, Subway, Quiznos, Wendy's, Au Bon Pain all within 5 minutes walking inside... Clearly this beats one cafeteria. (I'm an HFord resident and I greatly miss the DRH food choices)

Great. Got nothing to do with the conversation, as DMC's downtown location isn't an option for our DO friend.

You should lay off the crack pipe before the smoke burns your lips.

Where to start? You seem to have a major reading comprehension problem.

My bad about misunderstanding "the other three hospitals" . Clearly thought you meant DRH, Hford, St. Johns in which case the things I read by you did not make any sense. Makes much more sense considering I realize which hospitals you are speaking of.

But you are definitely still nuts if you think Grace is in a "nice" area... no doubt about that. :) <--(smiley so you will read this with intended connotation.)

Just chillax man!

Would just like to add that if you read my first message in a pleasant tone, I hope you would see that I meant it in much more of a good natured fashion (except for the troll part -- wasn't very nice, but I was just kidding). No need to read internet responses under the presumption that the poster is "yelling" or is "angry" -- that's why I didn't type in all caps. Next time I will insert my usual plethora of smileys so it is more clear. :)

Last edited:
Compared to DMC's downtown location where I also work and where Wayne State is, Sinai Grace is a huge step up. It is a level 2 trauma center. Maybe some folks are interested in seeing traumas? The other three hospitals are not trauma centers. That said the few streets around the hospital look fairly working class, and the stores on the main road are occupied. This is a huge difference from - say - DMC's downtown location/Wayne State where you can see bombed out ghettos that look like Baghdad literally across the road from the hospital on almost all sides with vagrants stumbling around at all hours of day.

To be honest with you, at either location I drive to work and drive back. I don't go out exploring in the evenings or frequenting the local drinking establishments. But the short drive to Sinai Grace from either the M-39 or M-10 expressway is a safe one through decent areas of town. The cafeteria is pretty good and I can get my lunch there without feeling the need to venture out for take away.

lol have you ever been to detroit???? sinai-grace is considered the gun shot capital of the US! haha... middle class??? u have to be kidding me. :laugh::laugh::laugh: the drive isn't THAT bad, as long as you don't look out your windows. try looking to the east next time you are on the lodge headed toward grace. there are ****load of abandoned, burned-out houses visible from the highway alone... more so if you take the exits. There is a reason there is a cop ever 10-15 feet in sinai during the PM shifts.... if i had my choices of places to walk naked at 3am (as a white guy), i would much prefer the area around DMC.

Thinking back to my ER shifts at grace, I just recalled one of the EM residents had a gun pulled on him as he turn the corner to drive into grace parking lot.... was almost car-jacked.

Last edited:
So I've been summoned for jury duty in Pontiac in early December. I know I can have student affairs write me a letter to postpone for six months but if they do contact me again in six months to serve apparently I can't postpone again. That would be around the time of the end of M3, Step 2, and my wedding. Any recommendations? I'll be on psych so it's not that important and chances are I won't be selected to serve but still I could miss a lot of the rotation and I think we have mandatory lectures.

So I've been summoned for jury duty in Pontiac in early December. I know I can have student affairs write me a letter to postpone for six months but if they do contact me again in six months to serve apparently I can't postpone again. That would be around the time of the end of M3, Step 2, and my wedding. Any recommendations? I'll be on psych so it's not that important and chances are I won't be selected to serve but still I could miss a lot of the rotation and I think we have mandatory lectures.

Hmmm... maybe you should talk with student affairs? See what other students in this situation have done before. You're def. right -- likely you won't have to serve and if you do, likely not more than a few days.

I do know that a friend of mine in my class needed surgery and she just ended up making up missed days throughout the various vacations of 3rd year... which is not that enticing, but prolly a better option than missing your own wedding :)

if i remember correctly, there is a letter/form in student affairs you fill out, they sign, and you send to them and you get out of it. i had to do it at one point, like first year.

So I followed through with talking to student affairs and they sent a supporting letter to the jury clerk. I received the questionnaire back from the clerk saying that I have to choose a date within 6 months to postpone. I called the clerk and said that I have to see a judge the day I'm summoned or postponed to and request to be exempt from serving for now. So there's no way of getting out of it except for showing up. Either way I'll choose a day when I'm on Family Medicine.

So I followed through with talking to student affairs and they sent a supporting letter to the jury clerk. I received the questionnaire back from the clerk saying that I have to choose a date within 6 months to postpone. I called the clerk and said that I have to see a judge the day I'm summoned or postponed to and request to be exempt from serving for now. So there's no way of getting out of it except for showing up. Either way I'll choose a day when I'm on Family Medicine.

oh that sucks. i sent that letter and never heard anything... they must really want you!

As far as I know yes. But that information is 4 yrs old.

Just don't expect them (at least historically) to tell you where on the list you are...

Would assume that they have some sort of ranking system set up so that they know who to accept off the alt list when an opening becomes avail.