Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it easy to find covered parking next to the med school on most days? I'm thinking about commuting to Wayne, and I am worried that I will have to get to school early just to find a spot. Any thoughts on this? Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Is it easy to find covered parking next to the med school on most days? I'm thinking about commuting to Wayne, and I am worried that I will have to get to school early just to find a spot. Any thoughts on this? Thanks :D

there's a parking deck... but parking is like $450-500 for the year. i think some people figured out that unless you plan on going to school every single day, it's worth just paying for the flat lot (uncovered).

I paid for parking M1/2. I should not have done that. I should have just added money to my onecard and paid when I went. So unless you are there every day just use the onecard.

As for streaming files, they are .asf which is used with windows media player.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to invite all the members of the incoming Class of 2014 to the 4th Annual Ice Cream Social. The event is put on by the Aesculapians and is on Sunday, August 1st from 1-4 pm. It's a great way to meet your incoming classmates, complete with music and free ice cream. You can RSVP to the Facebook Event here.

Upperclassmen: all are welcome, we just ask that you RSVP as well.

Hi WSU!
I was wondering if any of you did the Wayne BMS program, or know anyone who did? I would love to go to med school at wayne state and I'm considering doing the BMS program, but there's not a ton of information about it out there. I'm out of state, and I was just hoping someone might be able to tell me SOMETHING about the program as it relates to your med school. Maybe just even if you feel like there are a significant # of people in your class that did the BMS?

Thanks!
IgM

Thanks JoeCool for helping me get this set up.

Attached is an updated M1 calendar which features changes that were made after April 2010.

The calendar can be imported to Google Calendar, iCal or whatever calendar app you are using. *note: any changes that the administration makes to the calendar must be added manually (you can blame Wayne for not having sync support).

Attachments

• Class Schedule Year I 2010-2011 Calendar 8-22-2010.zip
    40.6 KB · Views: 184
Ok, so I failed my first tests in Unit 1. Can anyone here from Wayne State tell me about the Modified Program? What are the pros and cons?

If you can offer me some statistics/anecdotal evidence on how often students take the Modified route and end up eventually graduating, I'd feel a lot better. I'm willing to take a few extra years to graduate, but at this point, I'm afraid I'll end up failing out of medical school. Can someone help please?

Ok, so I failed my first tests in Unit 1. Can anyone here from Wayne State tell me about the Modified Program? What are the pros and cons?

If you can offer me some statistics/anecdotal evidence on how often students take the Modified route and end up eventually graduating, I'd feel a lot better. I'm willing to take a few extra years to graduate, but at this point, I'm afraid I'll end up failing out of medical school. Can someone help please?

first off, i'm sorry about the first exam. but don't beat yourself up at this point. there are 4 exams... you now know what they are looking for and have a better idea how to study. you might be able to end up with a passing grade if you work harder over the next few months. there are also tutors available (no matter what people might say, leah robinson is awesome and wants every one to succeed and will help as much as possible).

that being said.. the modified program allows you to take 2 years to take the 1st year, you take only 1 of the 2 first year classes at a time. pro: this gives you a lot more time to focus and adjust to medical school. people also tend to enter the modified program is they have family/personal issues that are interfering with medical school.

most of the people i know who enter the modified program still succeed.. but from what i can tell 2nd year is quite a shock (there's no modifying second year... so you end up going from 1/2 load to a 2x load). but most go on to pass boards and do well in third year.

if it's something you're really considering, talk to your counselor and academic support. but, at this point, i would recommend trying to get through one more unit and seeing how if goes (especially if it was only 1 course and not both).

thanks for the info ksav. do you know how likely it is to fail out for academic reasons? i have no personal problem (that i know of) holding me back, but for some reason i still didn't pass either exam.

i can't imagine doing anything else besides medicine, so i guess i'm looking for some reassurance that people can make it even if they fail a few courses. i will of course put in extra effort to try to avoid any failed classes, but right now, i think it would really help me (in terms of stress) if i knew the likelihood of the worst case scenario. i keep picturing myself in loads of debt and no degree by the end of 5 or 6 years. :(

i don't know what happened... i put in a lot of hours of studying. maybe i didn't study correctly for these tests?

it takes a lot to actually fail out of medical school.

if you fail a course, you have to take a re-exam at the end of the year over the entire course. if you fail the test, you retake the course the following year. if you are unable to pass after that, or you have multiple course failures, you're brought before the promotions committee for evaluation (at which point you have the chance to make your case).

but the school steps in to give you other options way before that happens: i.e. offering enrollment in the modified program. they usually give you a chance to try and get on track, but if you're unable to pass the second unit, they'll contact you to encourage enrollment in the modified program.

if you're really concerned at this point, make an appointment with Leah Robinson. you can tell her how you studied for the first exam and what you think went wrong. from there she can offer study aids and helps as well as set up tutoring if you want it.

Definitely get access to tutors. Use the practice questions. Read through the syllabus every day and go to lecture if you have been streaming. First year is hard because the tests are not always relevant to what is important for boards but you have to get through it anyway. Good luck to you. Yes I have seen a lot of people modify and they still end up succeeding. If you have to do that you should but if you feel like you are spending plenty of time on your studies it may not help. You might be just studying incorrectly. You have to move far beyond the time and effort you used during undergrad.

Hello! Just accepted for fall 2011 and will be attending Wayne! I've been looking at apartments downtown and my parents are considering purchasing a place with me since I'll be down there for at least 4 1/2 years (I am planning on moving in Dec or Jan). I was wondering if anyone here lives/lived or knows anyone who has lived in Ellington Lofts or 55 Canfield Lofts? I'll be contacting them both next week to see if they still have lofts available for purchase, but I was hoping to get opinions from someone who has lived there (especially because Ellington Lofts website is under construction). Specifically, what are the buildings like, what is the noise level like, etc. I had previously been considering renting from Studio 1 but am looking elsewhere since I've heard a significant amount of bad reviews about that building.

Thank you and happy thanksgiving!!

Hello! Just accepted for fall 2011 and will be attending Wayne! I've been looking at apartments downtown and my parents are considering purchasing a place with me since I'll be down there for at least 4 1/2 years (I am planning on moving in Dec or Jan). I was wondering if anyone here lives/lived or knows anyone who has lived in Ellington Lofts or 55 Canfield Lofts? I'll be contacting them both next week to see if they still have lofts available for purchase, but I was hoping to get opinions from someone who has lived there (especially because Ellington Lofts website is under construction). Specifically, what are the buildings like, what is the noise level like, etc. I had previously been considering renting from Studio 1 but am looking elsewhere since I've heard a significant amount of bad reviews about that building.

Congrats! Before you buy a place in midtown (where you are talking about) you need to think about noise on Woodward. In all the places listed, you are going to hear ambulances going by all the time. If that is something you can get used to, then go for it. I could not live with that. Downtown is a different area entirely.

Members don't see this ad :)

i don't live at either place... but live in the condos right off woodward by comerica and love living downtown. i have a few friends at ellington, they are all very pleased with the place. i've been and have liked it... if i stay here for residency, i was considering ellington.

sorry, don't know anything about the canfield lofts.

congrats! i live in park shelton. the place is pretty awesome in my opinion, but it can get a bit pricey. it is on woodward, but it rarely is noisy IMO. call their sales office and definitely take a look at them.

Does anyone know what happens if I don't receive my score for step 2 before January 31st? I know wayne requires m4s to post a score by 1/31 and I am supposed to take Step 2 on Dec 30th but not sure I'm ready for the exam yet.

Does anyone know what happens if I don't receive my score for step 2 before January 31st? I know wayne requires m4s to post a score by 1/31 and I am supposed to take Step 2 on Dec 30th but not sure I'm ready for the exam yet.

I didn't take it until middle of January and didnt receive my score until middleof February. I procrastinated studying, mostly due to interviewing but also because a family member was terminally ill during this time. One thing to keep in mind is that I don't think you can take the test the first 2 weeks of January. I think my counselor or kertia black called me into their office, which I actually had a legitimate excuse (i wasn't lying that a family member was in hospice) so it wasn't that big of a deal to them.... but the real reason I put it off was procrastination, senioritis, and I didn't want to do worse than Step 1.

They only want you to take it by Dec 31 so if you fail the first time, you have time to take it a second time and get a score before graduation. You need to pass it in order to receive your MD. So if you are putting it off because you don't think you will do well, it me good to take it ASAP so you aren't at risk of delaying residency! Good luck!

Hey everyone!

I am taking step 2 CK in August and was wondering if anyone had a good study schedule they used? I know I am thinking a little early, but I am a little OCD on my planning ;) and found the step 1 study schedules that were on the aesculapians website really helpful!

Thanks!!

Hello! I'll be starting at Wayne in August, and I had a random question that I figured I'd ask here :) For anatomy labs, I know the curriculum guide says that lab apparel is optional and you can wear regular clothes or scrubs, but I was wondering what most students usually wear? Thanks!

Hello! I'll be starting at Wayne in August, and I had a random question that I figured I'd ask here :) For anatomy labs, I know the curriculum guide says that lab apparel is optional and you can wear regular clothes or scrubs, but I was wondering what most students usually wear? Thanks!

scrubs.
there is/was a sale at scott hall during orientation.
most peope also walk away from that set of scrubs at the end of anatomy.

scrubs.
there is/was a sale at scott hall during orientation.
most peope also walk away from that set of scrubs at the end of anatomy.

Excellent, I was hoping that was the case because I didn't feel like ruining a set of clothes haha. Thanks!

I'm a second year hoping to go into radiology. I'm all set to do 3rd year at Henry Ford, but I've been having second thoughts since it seems like it's very difficult to honor there.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma:

Would switching to Oakwood in hopes of getting better grades/having more time to study for shelf exams outweigh the potentially better clinical experience and better letters of recommendation I'd get at Ford?

I'm a second year hoping to go into radiology. I'm all set to do 3rd year at Henry Ford, but I've been having second thoughts since it seems like it's very difficult to honor there.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma:

Would switching to Oakwood in hopes of getting better grades/having more time to study for shelf exams outweigh the potentially better clinical experience and better letters of recommendation I'd get at Ford?

i'm not going to lie and say you can honor everything at ford, however, you'll be hardpressed to get letters of rec from oakwood (at least from what i understand). i was at ford, worked hard all year and S+ everything except 1 (which i honored)... but i had a great experience and learned a ton. i walked away with LORs and people offering to write them for me.

in my opinion, don't walk away from ford just because it is a little harder... instead, go into it thinking you'll dominate and you will.

match list???

It's out there somewhere... I attended the second look this past weekend and was given a copy of the match list. They really should update their website to include the match list from this year along with the 2010's match list.

It was emailed out to my class today (I'm an M1). I hesitate to post it somewhere so public before the School has made it avaliable. If you've an alum or have any specific questions let me know and I'll pass it on via email.

Any Advice for incoming 3rd years at Wayne? Tips of what to do and what not when starting out

I'm applying to WSU this fall... and reading this thread has been entertaining and helpful.

I thought I should give a courtesy bump...

Just wanted to know if there have been any new developments in anyone's med school careers etc.

This is a bump - and an advertisement.

Haven't been on SDN for awhile. I'm a WSU SOM 2009 grad. Currently in surgery at WSU/DMC.

For all SOM people out there - I have a nice 2 bedroom/1 bath house which will be coming up for rent late spring/early summer of 2012. It is in Roseville (aka East side of Detroit suburbs), 2 blocks from I-94 on ramp. Approx 20 min door to door to WSU med school campus.

House is great for a couple or a pair of roomies. Has large yard (but we take care of yard maintenance). Utilitiies are renters responsibility.

If anyone is interested - email me for details - [email protected].

Thanks! Hope everyone is enjoying WSU!

Re: Dancinjenn's house.

Seriously perfect for a WSU SOM student. I lived there for my clinical years and it was *great* - traffic along that stretch of 94 is rarely bad. Excellent kitchen, plenty of room for desks/study areas. The neighborhood is great, places to walk your dogs and an enormous back yard.

Any opinions on:

Where to do third year rotations? I really want DMC, but I'm not sure about how to rank the other hospitals.

What tracks are the best? / What are the advantages/disadvantages to certain tracks?

Thanks!

Any opinions on:

Where to do third year rotations? I really want DMC, but I'm not sure about how to rank the other hospitals.

What tracks are the best? / What are the advantages/disadvantages to certain tracks?

Thanks!

bump, same question :confused:

bump, same question :confused:

what tracks do you have?? they didnt have tracks when i was there.... what all hospitals do you have to choose from? henry ford is probably your best option. DMC isn't bad... but nothing there every seemed all that organized... the pathology was great, but teaching was generally lacking. I would think Beaumont would be just as good, but I am guessing they aren't taking many WSU students due to their med school that opened recently?

Happy match day everyone. I hope you all got your first choice. I for one am more than excited about where I ended up (Advocate Christ EM in Chicago, for what it is worth). Match day has to be the best part of medical school. For all of those that are suffering through the first two years, I can tell you that it is worth it. Life is good.

Happy match day everyone. I hope you all got your first choice. I for one am more than excited about where I ended up (Advocate Christ EM in Chicago, for what it is worth). Match day has to be the best part of medical school. For all of those that are suffering through the first two years, I can tell you that it is worth it. Life is good.

Congrats! Do you happen to know where/when the match list will be available?

I'm graduating and moving out of the house I've rented in Grosse Pointe Park for the past 4 years. If anyone is interested in renting a 4 bedroom house with 2 car garage near corner of kercheval and maryland for $950/mo, PM me and I'll pass along the landlord's contact info.