Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am on now. So it seems to be working.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you just like it when lecturers, like the one today, talk about the students who show up to class for lectures as being "motivated" and ready to learn. And that they are going to make great doctors. I guess since I stream, (and sometimes watch lectures not just once, but twice in the comforts of my home, and in pajamas, and at times pausing the replay to let what i'm hearing soak in), I'm therefore not motivated enough, and probably won't become a good doctor. Hmn.
That p*sses me off - I stream because I have two kids, and do research on the side, streaming allows me to do that.

Don't you hate it when curmudgeon profs think that the way they did it is the only way.

Members don't see this ad :)
That p*sses me off - I stream because I have two kids, and do research on the side, streaming allows me to do that.

Don't you hate it when curmudgeon profs think that the way they did it is the only way.

I streamed from Philly today who-hoooo! I'm going to the Mutter Medical museum tomorrow-- geek out!!!

I streamed from Philly today who-hoooo! I'm going to the Mutter Medical museum tomorrow-- geek out!!!

sweet. i've always wanted to go there... you will have to tell me how you liked it...

I am still deciding on which medical school to attend and was hoping you guys could help me out. I was wondering what you guys see the future of Wayne State School of Medicine to be (by future I am talking about the near future being the next 1-10 years)? Increasing class sizes to 400? Less funding from the state? DMC screwing students over? Please provide some insight on the future if you can!

Thanks in advance!!

I didn't mean to be rude in the above post. This is just the stuff that concerns me and was hoping you could give me some good news or insigt into the future.

I am still deciding on which medical school to attend and was hoping you guys could help me out. I was wondering what you guys see the future of Wayne State School of Medicine to be (by future I am talking about the near future being the next 1-10 years)? Increasing class sizes to 400? Less funding from the state? DMC screwing students over? Please provide some insight on the future if you can!

Thanks in advance!!

This might be a better question for someone in the administration... I do not think they will increase the class size to 400 within 5 yrs. I do not think funding will drop... I don't think the DMC will screw us over until 2009 or 10 whenever the next contract expires. I am not sure how much students actually know..

This might be a better question for someone in the administration... I do not think they will increase the class size to 400 within 5 yrs. I do not think funding will drop... I don't think the DMC will screw us over until 2009 or 10 whenever the next contract expires. I am not sure how much students actually know..

Ditto on that -- (I believe) Everything we know is the same stuff that has been in the press.

Thanks in advance!!

Answers to your questions in order:
1. Lots of construction and headache
2. Doubt it. The auditoriums can't hold that many.
3. Probably since the state can't resolve its budget crisis. That means higher and higher tuition each year with no end in sight.
4. DMC has been screwing students over for as long as I know. For years it has been with bad work environments. Now they want to bring in MSU to cut us down at the knee and take away WSU's claim to being the best clinical education anywhere.

By the way, WSU and DMC have not signed the new agreement yet. They are still "working out the details," according to two very reliable sources. So, look for more squabbling between WSU and Wayne, and even more than this year with MSU now in the picture.

FYI: there is no way in the world I am staying here for residency in such a hostile and unstable work environment.

3. Probably since the state can't resolve its budget crisis. That means higher and higher tuition each year with no end in sight.
4. DMC has been screwing students over for as long as I know. For years it has been with bad work environments. Now they want to bring in MSU to cut us down at the knee and take away WSU's claim to being the best clinical education anywhere.

By the way, WSU and DMC have not signed the new agreement yet. They are still "working out the details," according to two very reliable sources. So, look for more squabbling between WSU and Wayne, and even more than this year with MSU now in the picture.

FYI: there is no way in the world I am staying here for residency in such a hostile and unstable work environment.

Knowing what you know now, woul dyou choose to attend another medical school if given the options solely based on the uncertainties? Take this question however you want it.

as a third/soon-to-be fourth year, he/she has a broader perspective than me!

Knowing what you know now, woul dyou choose to attend another medical school if given the options solely based on the uncertainties? Take this question however you want it.

I'll answer this a few different ways.

If you asked me, "Would you do it all again?" My response would be, "Absolutely not; but I wouldn't not do it once." That is of med school in general and not specific to WSU.

As for Wayne, we have to put up with a lot more headaches than most schools. We've gone through 3 deans in 3 years, one assistant dean deceased (very sad day when that happened), trying to take exams during construction and constant concrete drilling and much of the building heat leaving through the enormous 2 story hole in the side of the building, two monstrous tuition hikes with no promise of relief (again, WSU is now the 8th most expensive public med school in the country and it is the largest), a clinical environment where everyone in the city is hostile by nature, and a #$%@*&% *%$^$^$$ politician running the DMC that goes out of his way to make our lives worse. Plus the WSU administration is divided about equally into two groups: those that care about us and want to help, and those that couldn't care less about us and look to screw us over at every opportunity; unfortunately we have to deal much more often with the latter.

Whether or not we will be better doctors than other schools going into residency after going through all this...????????????? How would you know the world has air if you spent your entire life underwater? You can and want to do this only once, and so I cannot make a thorough comparison between Wayne and other schools. But I will say that I am so very tired of being Wayned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea!!! I am so happy -- I got almost all of my first choices for year 3 :)

I'm in group 6 and I start off at Providence for OB

If you asked me, "Would you do it all again?" My response would be, "Absolutely not; but I wouldn't not do it once." That is of med school in general and not specific to WSU.

As for Wayne, we have to put up with a lot more headaches than most schools. We've gone through 3 deans in 3 years, one assistant dean deceased (very sad day when that happened), trying to take exams during construction and constant concrete drilling and much of the building heat leaving through the enormous 2 story hole in the side of the building, two monstrous tuition hikes with no promise of relief (again, WSU is now the 8th most expensive public med school in the country and it is the largest), a clinical environment where everyone in the city is hostile by nature, and a #$%@*&% *%$^$^$$ politician running the DMC that goes out of his way to make our lives worse. Plus the WSU administration is divided about equally into two groups: those that care about us and want to help, and those that couldn't care less about us and look to screw us over at every opportunity; unfortunately we have to deal much more often with the latter.

Whether or not we will be better doctors than other schools going into residency after going through all this...????????????? How would you know the world has air if you spent your entire life underwater? You can and want to do this only once, and so I cannot make a thorough comparison between Wayne and other schools. But I will say that I am so very tired of being Wayned.

Wayne certainly has it's issues - but I don't want anyone to think that everyone who goes there feels like this. Most of the med students don't understand how important a good research facility is to a med school and that was the reason for the contruction - it's done now. They have a dean, he appears to be pretty good.

I have to take serious exception with the statement that half of the administration is out to get us. They aren't the most effective group, but they are not out to get us, I've had my problems with them, but I never thought that anyone was out to get me.

I haven't been in the hospitals, but I have a few friends who have, and they do not share this opinion of them, this experience probably varies from student to student.

I like Wayne, it has it's problems, but many other things are nice - the profs in general want us to do well (there are exceptions). Streaming lectures, and an effort to make it very clear what is expected of us on exams through the use of learning objectives. A focus on the nuts and bolts of doing medicine from day 1 of school is another plus.

Question 1: Knowing what I know now, would I still attend medical school? Yes, because I truly want to be a doctor and serve others.

Question 2: Would I attend Wayne State vs. another school? Absolutely not. :eek: (At least I am being honest here.) At least based on my feelings in the first two years of often poor teaching, poor admin, and poor policy, combined with an uncertain future of our primary teaching hospital affiliation, a very litigious, ungrateful, hateful population base, massive unemployment, rampant corruption at every level city, county, and state government, etc etc et al.

Ask me again in two years, who knows, maybe I'll say something different. :rolleyes:

Yea!!! I am so happy -- I got almost all of my first choices for year 3 :)

I'm in group 6 and I start off at Providence for OB
I got almost all of my first choices too - Hopefully that's a good thing :).

Group 1 for me, starting off with medicine at Oakwood

I did pretty well

July-->Pediatrics-->St. John- Inpatient and Childrens- Outpatient
September-->Medicine-->Sinai/Grace Hospital
November-->Family Medicine-->101 E. Alexandrine
January-->Neurology-->V. A. Medical Center
February-->Psychiatry-->Henry Ford Hospital
March-->Surgery-->Oakwood / Veterans Administration Medical Center
May-->OBGYN-->Providence Hospital

But man, if someone would swap me a spot at Oakwood or the VA for medicine, I'd be on cloud 9.

I did pretty well

But man, if someone would swap me a spot at Oakwood or the VA for medicine, I'd be on cloud 9.

I could be wrong, but I think you have to swap entire schedules, even if you are within the same group (which I don't think makes any sense if you are in the same group since it doesn't mess with any of their numbers... but whatever).

I could be wrong, but I think you have to swap entire schedules, even if you are within the same group (which I don't think makes any sense if you are in the same group since it doesn't mess with any of their numbers... but whatever).

yeah i got my first choice for everything except one rotation and i wanted to do FM before my elective... oh well, i am still happy.

July-->Pediatrics-->Henry Ford- Outpatient and Childrens Inpatient
September-->Medicine-->Oakwood Hospital/Dearborn
December-->Family Medicine-->101 E. Alexandrine
January-->Psychiatry-->Henry Ford Hospital
February-->Neurology-->Sinai/Grace Hospital
May-->OBGYN-->Oakwood Hospital/Dearborn

looks like both Inked_cad and do not want to be surgeons....

so for family medicine, do we still get to pick where we do that?

:eek: Maybe I should've taken those other interviews? I'm going to reapply, I think, this place sounds horrible! :eek:

:eek: Maybe I should've taken those other interviews? I'm going to reapply, I think, this place sounds horrible! :eek:

UMP,
Every school has its "things". Don't worry about all the anxiety and stress people vent here as Wayne is a good school and many students are very happy (including myself). I don't regret my decision to attend Wayne over other schools and I would make the same decision again :)

Things will be great!

UMP,
Every school has its "things". Don't worry about all the anxiety and stress people vent here as Wayne is a good school and many students are very happy (including myself). I don't regret my decision to attend Wayne over other schools and I would make the same decision again :)

Things will be great!

I know, I know... I was kidding, I'm just sick of people shitting on the school all the time... although I have no real frame of reference, but I think the school doesn't get the respect it deserves on these boards because people are so negative... It doesn't matter in the end, I've heard absolutely great things about this school from all the grads and current students I've talked, I think there are just a select few stressed-out pissed-off people that all congregate on this thread ;)

I know, I know... I was kidding, I'm just sick of people shitting on the school all the time... although I have no real frame of reference, but I think the school doesn't get the respect it deserves on these boards because people are so negative... It doesn't matter in the end, I've heard absolutely great things about this school from all the grads and current students I've talked, I think there are just a select few stressed-out pissed-off people that all congregate on this thread ;)
I think that if you look back at roughly this time of year in the old thread, you'll find that the same thing happened then - it's a rough time for almost everyone. I agree, I wish that people wouldn't bag on the school with quite so much force, because like it or not, we're all married to this place now.

I think that if you look back at roughly this time of year in the old thread, you'll find that the same thing happened then - it's a rough time for almost everyone. I agree, I wish that people wouldn't bag on the school with quite so much force, because like it or not, we're all married to this place now.

I pretty much exactly remember the same type of conversation last year, too, and the same response from me... :rolleyes: I'm going to be the same in a couple years, I think :smuggrin:

UMP,

Things will be great!

I agree with this... things aren't perfect, but similar **** goes on at other schools from what i have heard from friends... i think this is what you get when you take the most anal-retentive, perfectionst students from around the country and put them in one class all together...

Don't let what other students post change your mind. Wayne is a very good school. I have had no regrets so far coming here. And I would do it again if I had to. Like every school there are annoyances, and irritation. Remember that some students ( a very distinct minority use this forum to blow off steam). Whereas the vast majority who are satisfied don't post here. I bet that any school you go to there will be students who complain.

Just your friendly neighborhood 4th year sitting on his ass and wanted to chime in on the subject. I don't know of any med school where the best years of your education are the first two. Quite frankly, if they are, I would stay the hell away. Memorizing biochem pathways and muscle origins and insertions does NOT a good doctor make. I will grant you that it seems that a lot of the administration seems to have lost their "give a $*%^" but you also have to bear in mind that the people teaching the majority of 1st and 2nd year lectures are research scientists. You remember those people from college right. Remember how engaging and social they were. Come on, this is why they're not allowed to work with people on a regular basis.

That said, I would put my clinical education from 3rd and 4th years up against anywhere in the country. For once, the admins weren't lying on admissions day when they touted this. I think on the whole, you'll find that your 3rd and 4th years are much better run, and are obviously much more valuable to your knowledge base.

The population that we treat in Detroit are on the whole a very underserved and just a generally ill group. Also, the medical systems serving them are already bursting at the seams. This basically sets you up for some of the best hands on learning there could be. Not only will you some pathologies that other students have only read about, but you'll probably be actively involved in that patient's daily care.

For all of the soon to be 3rd years, be ready to work your ass off, but also to actually remember why you wanted to become a physician in the first place. For all of the soon to be 1st years, unfortunately 1st and 2nd years pretty much suck wherever you go. Don't let the ramblings of a few disgruntled current 1st and 2nd years discourage you from coming here.

Sorry for the book, I've had the last month off and I'm getting bored. Oh yeah, 4th year rocks......

Just your friendly neighborhood 4th year sitting on his ass and wanted to chime in on the subject. I don't know of any med school where the best years of your education are the first two. Quite frankly, if they are, I would stay the hell away. Memorizing biochem pathways and muscle origins and insertions does NOT a good doctor make. I will grant you that it seems that a lot of the administration seems to have lost their "give a $*%^" but you also have to bear in mind that the people teaching the majority of 1st and 2nd year lectures are research scientists. You remember those people from college right. Remember how engaging and social they were. Come on, this is why they're not allowed to work with people on a regular basis.

That said, I would put my clinical education from 3rd and 4th years up against anywhere in the country. For once, the admins weren't lying on admissions day when they touted this. I think on the whole, you'll find that your 3rd and 4th years are much better run, and are obviously much more valuable to your knowledge base.

The population that we treat in Detroit are on the whole a very underserved and just a generally ill group. Also, the medical systems serving them are already bursting at the seams. This basically sets you up for some of the best hands on learning there could be. Not only will you some pathologies that other students have only read about, but you'll probably be actively involved in that patient's daily care.

For all of the soon to be 3rd years, be ready to work your ass off, but also to actually remember why you wanted to become a physician in the first place. For all of the soon to be 1st years, unfortunately 1st and 2nd years pretty much suck wherever you go. Don't let the ramblings of a few disgruntled current 1st and 2nd years discourage you from coming here.

Sorry for the book, I've had the last month off and I'm getting bored. Oh yeah, 4th year rocks......

only 408 days until 4th year...

I did pretty well

I didn't do to bad myself - got group 4 (was my 2nd choice) and all my rotations except ob/gyn(3) and medicine(5) I got #1 for. I'm hoping to switch ob to Hutzel...then I would be perfectly happy.

July-->Surgery-->Harper / Detroit Receiving Hospitals
September-->OBGYN-->St John Hospital and Medical Center
November-->Neurology-->Harper/ DRH
December-->Psychiatry-->DMC Central (DRH & Jefferson)
January-->Medicine-->Harper Hospital
March-->Family Medicine-->101 E. Alexandrine
May-->Pediatrics-->Childrens Hospital

so is it hard to make the seminars or required lectures during 3rd year rotations? someone mentioned that you cannot be late? how does this work if you get stuck in traffic due to an accident? too bad/so sad??

so is it hard to make the seminars or required lectures during 3rd year rotations? someone mentioned that you cannot be late? how does this work if you get stuck in traffic due to an accident? too bad/so sad??

And about how often are the lectures?

I was just saying today that I was hoping for another good email war to fill up our inboxes.

I've since asked for a pony and honors for 3rd/4th year.

I was just saying today that I was hoping for another good email war to fill up our inboxes.

Ahhh... you're always good for a laugh -- a nice way to end my day :)

As someone who is also a 3rd year, I completely disagree. Would I do it over again, yes. Would I go to Wayne again, absolutely. In fact, choosing Wayne is a decision in my life I have never had to doubt, and I assure you I am not an overly enthusiastic person who says this stuff about everything. I hated my undergrad for many reasons. However, all that B.S. about the admin screwing you over at Wayne is just baseless whining without perspective. My fiance goes to a different med school in the state, and I have friends at others, and I can assure you the same stuff happens everywhere. You have to remember that few people can be as miserable as medical students and complain as much. It's difficult to see the forrest through trees when you are studying or doing clinical scut work, but it pays off in the end. Overall Wayne is a great school and offers clinical training second to none.

Ponies are very useful, they can cut down on mowing time...however I don't know if the code enforcer would be amenable to large domestic livestock. Hey on a cool note though we now have some rotations together since I switched into group 2!!!! Here is my new schedule:

July-->Pediatrics-->Childrens Hospital
January-->Neurology-->Henry Ford Hospital
February-->Psychiatry-->DMC North (Sinai/Grace Ardmore Clinic)
May-->OBGYN-->Hutzel Hospital

SDN is the group 2 club!! I'll be seeing Fun8, inked and jenn at childrens' and Jenn at Hutzel!!

July-->Pediatrics-->Childrens Hospital
September-->Medicine-->Harper Hospital
December-->Family Medicine-->101 E. Alexandrine
January-->Neurology-->St Joseph Mercy/ Pontiac
February-->Psychiatry-->William Beaumont Hospital
March-->Surgery-->Providence Hospital
May-->OBGYN-->Hutzel Hospital

Laa laa laa.... I'm studying on friday night. I am a sucka!

Jenn and Inked (and fun8 too) are you guys OB gunners? I picked OB/gyn last because I'm hoping to potentially make an impression at hutzel and check it out as a possible residency option. Just curious :)

Jenn and Inked (and fun8 too) are you guys OB gunners? I picked OB/gyn last because I'm hoping to potentially make an impression at hutzel and check it out as a possible residency option. Just curious :)

"and fun8" in parenthesis??? lol.. Yeah, you won't have to fight me for OB. Although I am going to keep an open mind, I don't think I will be gunning for OB. I picked group 2 because I wanted to start with something easier, procrastinate and put off surgery and OB (i don't like broccoli and i also eat that last), and get internal medicine done before my elective slot (in case IM was a requirement for the elective).

Well, since you guys showed me your's, I guess I'll show you mine - Group 1

July-->Medicine-->Oakwood Hospital/Dearborn
September-->Family Medicine-->101 E. Alexandrine
November-->Pediatrics-->Childrens Hospital
January-->Surgery-->Harper / Detroit Receiving Hospitals
March-->OBGYN-->St. Joseph Mercy, Ann Arbor
May-->Neurology-->Harper/ DRH
June-->Psychiatry-->DMC North (Sinai/Grace Ardmore Clinic)

haha I totally stereotyped you Fun8! Most guys make a icky face when I mention OB/gyn. I should stop my stereotyping ways, there are male OB gunners out there. :p

I am an OB gunner...I'll admit it. I was actually hoping for a slightly harder surgery rotation, but I'll take what I've got because I really wanted the group 2 order. I've got a blackboard call out for surgery switches...but if you guys know of someone wanting to get rid of St. John's or DRH/Harper let me know.

I am an OB gunner...I'll admit it. I was actually hoping for a slightly harder surgery rotation, but I'll take what I've got because I really wanted the group 2 order. I've got a blackboard call out for surgery switches...but if you guys know of someone wanting to get rid of St. John's or DRH/Harper let me know.

is your "i'm the baby!" label a reference to the old Dinosaurs tv show??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4Dovy1hNM

is your "i'm the baby!" label a reference to the old Dinosaurs tv show??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4Dovy1hNM

Yes! Your the first person to get the correct TV show. She pretty much is "the baby" - you should hear the fit she throws if she realizes she is all alone in a room...then you come walking in and it is just all smiles!!! Nothing in the world was wrong!! She can turn off the screams instantly - really scary that she has figured this out by 8 months old.

Yes! Your the first person to get the correct TV show. She pretty much is "the baby" - you should hear the fit she throws if she realizes she is all alone in a room...then you come walking in and it is just all smiles!!! Nothing in the world was wrong!! She can turn off the screams instantly - really scary that she has figured this out by 8 months old.

haha, that' funny. he i already controlling you at 8months... this is probably just he beginning ;)

regarding "the snorkes", i don't recall thi show. During the '80s I was more into he-man, GI joe, transformer, teenage mutant ninja turtles, and other violent cartoons.

Jen, don't worry about your surgery rotation at Oakwood - you'll actually learn a lot and can do really well on your boards. They have a fantastic director down there. :)

It'll be fun to see everyone at Childrens in July. Maybe I'll wear an "inked_caduceus" sign so we can all meet up.

And I am in no way, nor every will be an OB gunner. I'm internal/ER all the way. In the immortal words of Garrick "I don't wanna know nothin 'bout birthin no babies"

PS.
LastPic.jpg

larger version here.

Jen, don't worry about your surgery rotation at Oakwood - you'll actually learn a lot and can do really well on your boards. They have a fantastic director down there. :)

It'll be fun to see everyone at Childrens in July. Maybe I'll wear an "inked_caduceus" sign so we can all meet up.

And I am in no way, nor every will be an OB gunner. I'm internal/ER all the way. In the immortal words of Garrick "I don't wanna know nothin 'bout birthin no babies"

Psst... I don't think you'll need to wear an "inked Cadaceus" sign. I think they can figure it out :)

yeah, i was kind of worried about (having second thoughts) not learning enough about surgery at oakwood/va... even though i am pretty sure this is not what i want to do. do you know someone that has done surgery at oakwood/VA then??