Wayne State versus VCU Medical School (which has better reputation?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strategy99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on this?

The most important factor though is what will set me up for a better residency / help me do well on the board exams, and so on. Which school has a better reputation?

To assess this, I looked at the match lists for both schools - what exactly should I be looking for in these lists?

Wayne is about 25k more per year than VCU, which is a factor but not the most important to me. I like Wayne because I can live in Windsor, Canada (which would be nice as a Canadian myself).

Lastly, Wayne is a very traditional curriculum with long days from 9-5, whereas VCU is lecture from 8-12 with group-work stuff ending at 3pm. I think the VCU curriculum (the new one sounds exciting) suits me more.

Just for reference, here are the match lists of most recent years:
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/stories/matchday2014/pdfs/2014_match_list.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/85999566/Wayne-State-Match-List-2012

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

The most important factor though is what will set me up for a better residency / help me do well on the board exams, and so on. Which school has a better reputation?

To assess this, I looked at the match lists for both schools - what exactly should I be looking for in these lists?

Wayne is about 25k more per year than VCU, which is a factor but not the most important to me. I like Wayne because I can live in Windsor, Canada (which would be nice as a Canadian myself).

Lastly, Wayne is a very traditional curriculum with long days from 9-5, whereas VCU is lecture from 8-12 with group-work stuff ending at 3pm. I think the VCU curriculum (the new one sounds exciting) suits me more.

Just for reference, here are the match lists of most recent years:
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/stories/matchday2014/pdfs/2014_match_list.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/85999566/Wayne-State-Match-List-2012
As a current Wayne student, all I can say is be mindful that Wayne might be scheduled from 9-5 or so, but all the lectures are optional attendance and streamed online. Don't know about VCU's attendance requirements, but your schedule would be more flexible at Wayne if VCU doesn't stream and/or requires attendance at everything. That said, 25K more per year is a HECK of a lot of money, and SHOULD be a big deal to you........

VCU. The $25,000 per year less it costs there should be *the* most important thing to you. All the rest of the stuff you're thinking about will be completely irrelevant in five years, while the debt you amass will linger on long after you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current Wayne student, all I can say is be mindful that Wayne might be scheduled from 9-5 or so, but all the lectures are optional attendance and streamed online. Don't know about VCU's attendance requirements, but your schedule would be more flexible at Wayne if VCU doesn't stream and/or requires attendance at everything. That said, 25K more per year is a HECK of a lot of money, and SHOULD be a big deal to you........
Thanks for the response theseeker (and prompt too!).

Regarding the 9-5 schedule: Are their any breaks in between? I assume the 9-5 actually includes a 1hr lunch break or so? Also, is it 9-5 every single day like I am hearing?

The tuition definitely matters, but more important to me is my comfort level and if I feel at home. I will say this, I come from a wealthy family so the tuition is not as important as it should be.

Also, when you guys look to compare schools, do you use the match list as a good predictor? If so, what do you look for in the match list specifically?

BTW: Wayne's step1 average was 226, whereas VCU's was 230. Unsure if that is important or not..

Also, when you guys look to compare schools, do you use the match list as a good predictor? If so, what do you look for in the match list specifically?

BTW: Wayne's step1 average was 226, whereas VCU's was 230. Unsure if that is important or not..
I would look more at location than specific specialties. If one school matches all over the country and the other is more regional, that might be something for you to consider. I think both schools have decent nationwide reputations though. Another important thing is if you are interested in a specific specialty, it helps if the school you are choosing has their own residency program in that specialty.
I would also look more closely at the clinical years. Wayne's clinical experience is supposed to be unbeatable in the variety of pathology you get, as well as student autonomy. Also, group work/PBL in the preclinical years is not as fun as it sounds. Most schools suck at it and it can be a major pain in the ass if not done right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response theseeker (and prompt too!).

Regarding the 9-5 schedule: Are their any breaks in between? I assume the 9-5 actually includes a 1hr lunch break or so? Also, is it 9-5 every single day like I am hearing?

The tuition definitely matters, but more important to me is my comfort level and if I feel at home. I will say this, I come from a wealthy family so the tuition is not as important as it should be.
No, it is definitely NOT 9-5 every day, even if you attend all the lectures. There are some later days, especially some of the longer anatomy labs, but there are also quite a few blocks where you won't have anything required most days a week, or something is on the schedule for 4 hours but half the class is the first two hours, half the second, etc. I would much rather take Wayne's schedule over a different school that is "done at 12 and groups in the afternoon" if the latter school has more things required attendance. Good luck deciding!