wayne state vs. albany vs. rosalind franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAntiDentite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, if anyone has any advice regarding which school to choose - I'd really appreciate it. I'm from NYC so I won't get instate tuition from Wayne and I'm about 3.5-4 hours from Albany. I'm interested in competitive resendcies in NYC eventually and just wanted an outside opinion as the May 15th deadline approaches.

Basically - which would you choose?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Hey guys, if anyone has any advice regarding which school to choose - I'd really appreciate it. I'm from NYC so I won't get instate tuition from Wayne and I'm about 3.5-4 hours from Albany. I personally have a favorite but I wanted an outside opinion as the May 15th deadline approaches. Thanks a lot in advance.

Go with your favorite.

Seems like Albany and Wayne come out ahead of Rosalind. What's the financial difference between those two for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne state is $10,000 more expensive but I might qualify for a $15,000 scholarship from them - I won't know until 2 weeks from now. So the tuition difference wouldn't play a huge role. I do want to come back to NYC for residency and I'm just wondering how Wayne vs. Albany play into that.

Go to Wayne. You'll get a first class education. As much as I was irritated with them earlier this cycle. Detroit has a lot to offer you. Wayne graduates are very successful.

I think both would give you about the same chance. Albany's in state obviously so I'm sure a lot of the instate student's goals are to go to NYC where as Wayne students might be more interested in Detroit or Chicago, but its been around for ages and will be known by NYC residencies. I would think that Detroit will also give you a more similar patient population to NYC. I wouldn't go to RFU.

I withdrew my acceptance from Albany when I found out I got into RFU. I really liked RFU and was more impressed by their match list than albany's. As long as you work hard at any of these schools I believe you can match where you want so go with the one that gave you the best feeling.

Does anyone preference Albany? If so, can you share the reasoning behind it please

Does anyone preference Albany? If so, can you share the reasoning behind it please

I'd actually choose Albany based on your choices. I was accepted there and think the school is great as well as the city. The students also seem really relaxed and happy.

Judging by Albany's 2012 match list (have you seen it yet?), I think like 42% or some rediculously high number of students end up in New York, with a BUNCH in New York City (NYU and Columbia had a pretty big presence).

Also, if you look at an MSAR, Albany's students have higher average MCATS and GPA's than your other two choices. Unlike the other two choices Albany isn't ranked by US News because it doesn't share its information--I'm sure if it did it would definitely be within the top 50 or 60.

Go to Wayne. You'll get a first class education. As much as I was irritated with them earlier this cycle. Detroit has a lot to offer you. Wayne graduates are very successful.

Sorry for hijacking, but CodeBlu, you seem to be quite the SDN legend. Where are you matriculating? :cool:

Going to Albany will most likely give you the best shot at doing your residency in the state of New York.

That being said, if RFU or Wayne are somehow cheaper for you, it might be worth giving those school some strong consideration. Keep in mind it is less likely, but not impossible, to match into a residency in NYC from one of those schools.

Last edited:
As long as you work hard at any of these schools I believe you can match where you want so go with the one that gave you the best feeling.

+1

Have you looked at how the match process works yet? From my understanding, you have a lot of power in selecting which programs to apply to and then which interviews to go to and which programs to rank. If NYC is such a high priority for you, then only apply to and rank residencies in NYC.
Do you know what specialty you're interested in yet?
Use FREIDA. Go look up how many residency spots there are in your chosen field and desired location. You could probably also go to the webpages of the schools in NYC you're interested in and look at their residents and find out where they come from. I think most residency programs post this, though you might have to dig by specialty.
Also, 4th years who have matched at our school have mentioned that sometimes that sort of thing comes up during the residency interview - if you have connections and are more likely to actually be interested in a program because of that, then it's a plus. (Well, mostly they talk about how if they don't have connections to a region how they have to explain why they might be interested in a program [e.g. you're open to moving, or you're couples matching and your SO has family in that region], but clearly the PDs are looking at where you're from and factoring that in. Going to school out of state and then coming back seems to be an understandable occurrence.)

Being a first year, I can't comment a lot on how easy it is to attain interviews, but some of that is self-selection - people probably get fairly good advice about what specialties they are competitive for based on their interests and performance, and then just like college applications or med school applications, within that hopefully they are told which programs might be reasonable for them to apply to (a few reaches, a lot of good fits, some safeties). But with everyone applying more broadly these days, it just adds to the reason why it's such a crap shoot.

Also, I agree with the sentiments that there are probably more people at Albany matching to places in New York just because they are already from New York. Are there other factors regarding proximity to family/friends that you might want to look at, or are you pretty unattached? How often do you think you want to go home and see family while you are in med school? Do you have family members that you need to help take care of and thus need to be closer to home? Or do you just plan on visiting during breaks?
Take a look at the curriculum and class schedules and see how much time you'll have to make any travel or connections.
If you want to go home fairly often, obviously Albany is closer to NYC and it's just a 2.5 hr drive or bus ride. Also during the first two years we have a fair number of free weekends where you could take off like that. (Approx every 4 weeks in first year, and more like every 2-3 weeks in 2nd year) You could even go during the middle of the week if there are no required classes. I know several classmates who spend extended weekends in New York with family because our classes are mostly recorded.

A lot could change in 4 years about what you're interested in, where you think you want to live, etc. Make sure you go somewhere where you think you'll be happy in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.