Ways Of Recognizing/awarding a PFC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some ways to award a PFC for consistently going above and beyond his/her duty in clinic. I'm not this person's supervisor, I just work in that clinic and feel that this person is under appreciated. Normally on civilian side I would just offer to write them a letter of rec. is there something like this in the Army? What would be most beneficially to this person in terms of promotion points or what have you? Is it inappropriate to do something like this for someone I'm not directly in charge of? Thanks.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

An AAM is easy, almost never gets disapproved, and most PFCs don't have one. Just try to talk to the CO or 1SG first. BC is approval authority, so might be nice to talk to them too, if you know them.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm Navy, obviously and the Army is different. It always interests me to hear the differences in difficulty thresholds for medals in the Army & Air Force, to wit, getting an E3 a mid-tour Achievement medal in the Army is regarded as easy?

It'd be near impossible to get an E3 a Navy Achievement Medal just for doing their job well ... even extremely well ... even at end of tour. It's expected that they do their jobs well. They really need to step out of their job description and do something special.

I think the Marines use magic 8-balls for deciding who gets awards. I've seen NAMs given for rearranging filing cabinets and not losing more than 10% of the records therein, and I've seen Purple Hearts denied because a dirtbag gunny didn't think the Marine was wounded bad enough.

I assume the Air Force hands out Achievement Medals as the dessert cart rolls by the 9th hole, but I could be misinformed there.

But more seriously, we do have something called a Flag Letter of Commendation. It's not a medal to wear, but it's worth a point for advancement. If the Army does those too, it might be something to look into.

Regardless, I'd assume that any award in the Army (like the Navy) need to go through the individual's direct chain of command, so maybe start by talking to his division officer, or whatever you dirt pounders call the junior officer next in line above him.

The last thing you might consider if an actual award doesn't work out, is to just fill out one of the patient/"customer" comment cards that every clinic seems to have. At least at Navy hospitals, the CO/XO read all of those and then pass them back down through the chain to the individual. It's a good way to get someone some nice attention, and you don't have to be in their direct chain to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some ways to award a PFC for consistently going above and beyond his/her duty in clinic. I'm not this person's supervisor, I just work in that clinic and feel that this person is under appreciated. Normally on civilian side I would just offer to write them a letter of rec. is there something like this in the Army? What would be most beneficially to this person in terms of promotion points or what have you? Is it inappropriate to do something like this for someone I'm not directly in charge of? Thanks.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I would talk to his immediate supervisor and consider talking to the first sergeant about submitting the award. You may need to draft supportive statements to get this award approved. PCS award is easier to give but giving achievement award takes some work. I think AAM etc worth some promotional points.

It is nice to have supervisor who takes time to notice other achievements which may help with morale and encourage others to do the same. On a personal note it is interesting to note that I worked really hard for 3 years in MEDDAC, often performed additional duties etc... and did not even get a pcs award (submission for MSM got lost LOL??) but I was able to get MSM one month PRIOR to PCS from line unit after working as their brigade surgeon for just 2 years...It is very common practice that if you want award then either you need to have a supervisor who care to submit award (not likely) or (likely) you write your own award statement and submit it in timely manner thru chain of command.

Although I do not agree...if your position is not important it is more difficult to get MSM no matter how well you did...like your job.

The people on this board have more than enough experience to collectively write a how-to guide on putting together award packages. Since I've never written one, I love to know more about it in case the need should ever arise.

Nah, the Air Force only gives out combat medals when someone has deployed, yet not actually seen combat.

The bronze star without valor is not medal for heroism in combat, its a medal for meritorious service when you're deployed to a combat zone. In other words its an award for doing your job really, really well. That's the distinction between the bronze star with valor and the bronze star without.

Lots of people to their job "really, really well" and are never recognized because that only makes for one bullet point. If you read the interviews of the two sergeants who received the Bronze Star, one of them even mentions that she did not deserve it.

LOL @ getting an MSM for being a brigade surgeon for 2 years. In the USN, that's typically reserved for a squadron Commanding Officer (0-5), or smaller installation's XO.

I remember getting asked by an AF peer (fellow 0-3 at the time) what they should write their IDMT up for given they had done their job well for two years, an MSM or an AF Commendation; that's just laughable - how about an Achievement medal I asked, or a nice letter?

I would talk to his immediate supervisor and consider talking to the first sergeant about submitting the award. You may need to draft supportive statements to get this award approved. PCS award is easier to give but giving achievement award takes some work. I think AAM etc worth some promotional points.

It is nice to have supervisor who takes time to notice other achievements which may help with morale and encourage others to do the same. On a personal note it is interesting to note that I worked really hard for 3 years in MEDDAC, often performed additional duties etc... and did not even get a pcs award (submission for MSM got lost LOL??) but I was able to get MSM one month PRIOR to PCS from line unit after working as their brigade surgeon for just 2 years...It is very common practice that if you want award then either you need to have a supervisor who care to submit award (not likely) or (likely) you write your own award statement and submit it in timely manner thru chain of command.

Although I do not agree...if your position is not important it is more difficult to get MSM no matter how well you did...like your job.

Yeah the Navy threshold is much higher it seems. I sat on my command's awards board for about tr last year and the general pattern was

E4 and below, did an exceptional job = maybe a NAM, flag letter more likely. Most PCS with nothing.

Up to about E7-8 and O4, a COM was doable. Most departing physicians got end of tour COMs, but some got NAMs and getting nothing wasn't unheard of.

O5-O6, and director level job, a MSM was within reach. Dept head wasn't enough.

I like the Navy way better than the everyone gets a participation trophy model.