Ways to prepare for Optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guest99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any suggestions on what a 1st year student can do over the summer to be prepared for Optometry school?

Any subjects I should review to be ready?

Members don't see this ad.

1st year = freshman in undergrad?

Don't need to review anything ever. Just do well in classes when you take them. Use this time to relax or if you really want to bolster your application, do anything extracurricular (volunteer, shadow, something productive).

I think they mean a person who is going to start optometry school in the fall. from what i've heard from upperclassmen. Just have fun & relax, spend time with family and friends because the next years are going to be hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
oh, well then I agree don't review anything (you have no idea of the scope of the curriculum). Just like how they pamper the horses before the race, just pamper yourself and make yourself happy and rested so you can go in in top mental condition.

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my first year and I didn't study prior to optometry school but looking back, with all free time I had prior to school starting I would have reviewed optical optics. At berkeley, we spend the first 2 years taking several optics courses and at some points it was very challenging. But i'm not sure how much optics is a focus at other schools but if you feel like preparing, I would. It's definitely not a 'nerdy' option, I think its totally respectable. Depending on which school you are going to, I would contact an upperclassmen or first year student to see if they have any material that they would be willing to send you to get a head start. Its definitely not a bad way to start opto school :)

When you say "optical optics" do you mean the optics portion in our base physic courses?

optical optics huh...

My opinion is regarding studying optics beforehand is that it probably isn't worth it as it would be something pretty challenging to self-teach if you have no prior knowledge of the subject. It's one of those high learning-curve subjects that turn out to be really simple once you start understanding it more. I really can't see anyone efficiently self-teaching optics. I'd equate one hour with an upperclassmen/professor going over optics to be worth 5-8 hours what a first-timer could accomplish on their own.

I reckon optics to be similar to calculus - seems foreign at first but once you get the rules and application it becomes cake.

I'd say just relax and enjoy the summer, because during school, you will want to relax so badly but not have the time. Go to school excited and energized. By December, you for sure understand what I mean.