Ways to spend gap year for OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerngirl100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to get accepted into an OT masters degree program for the fall, but not sure if that will happen. If it doesn't, I will end up having a gap year during which I can do more things to ready myself for starting a program in the fall of next year. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any ideas about the best ways to spend a gap year for OT. Would completing a second bachelors degree during this time be a good idea? What are some other things that I can do over a gap year besides more shadowing that will make my application more impressive? If I do end up having to wait a year for grad school, I don't want it to be a year of wasted time.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a job as a research assistant in Rehab Medicine. I don't think completing a second bachelors is necessary. I would try to get a job that is hopefully semi related to OT (education, therapy office, working with certain populations, such as the elderly, children with developmental disabilities, people with physical disabilities, etc). I think showing that you are hireable and having a good reference from an employer is helpful (especially if that employer can talk about how well you would fit with OT or how well you interact with certain populations)

You can work as an OT aide (NOT an assistant) at a private clinic. It'll give you clinical experience while getting paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in this boat last year. I dont think it is necessary to get another degree. If you are planning to take the GRE and your scores are average, I would take a prep class. I did and it helped me raise my scores. I also spent a lot of time doing OT observations because the more hours you have, the more competitive applicant you will be. Another thing I did was het a job that pertains more to OT. I work in a school with kids who have autism. Some schools look for leadership roles and volunteering so that could be something to look into as well. Good luck!!

I would definitely say get a variety of experience volunteering. Both of the schools I interviewed with mentioned they were impressed with the amount of volunteer experience I had in a variety of settings. I think it is what set me apart from other applicants and subsequently landed me admission to both programs.

I interned at a Sports medicine institute for 6 mos, at TIRR (Texas Institute for Rehabilitation & Research) in Houston where Gabby Gifford did rehab at for a year. A pediatric rehab clinic for 6 months, I have been a volunteer at Ronald Mcdonald House charities for 3 yrs, and volunteered at a ptsd clinic for 6 mos.