WCI Article on HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldogmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a bad article. What exactly don't you like about it?

Nothing against the author, just this whole concept of anyone calculating the cost benefit ratio, as if HPSP is some investment vehicle. I'm also very cranky right now. Might delete the post when I'm thinking more clearly.

Definitely a must read for those interested in HPSP.

No it's not. It's like any other article that discusses the financial aspects of taking the scholarship. One person used numbers from his very expensive medical school and compared that to his low-paying specialty and then came to the conclusion that HPSP was the right decision for him. As has been discussed many, many times on this forum in the past, your mileage may vary if you go to a cheaper school or pick a higher paying specialty. I give the example that in my case if I were to quit my job tomorrow and join a community emergency medicine practice, I would triple my salary overnight. I could have paid off my school loans in two years and chosen where I live. Also, none of these financial discussion websites or threads ever bring up the impact on your spouse who may have to give up his/her career – which also occurred in my case.