WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Disregard any statements made by KG062007. He was rejected from Meharry University, which says more than enough about his qualifications for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planing on coming to hattiesburg to look for apts.The apt guide they gave me has too many options. I have only a day to look, so any advice on which apts to focus is appreciated. Thanks.

I am planing on coming to hattiesburg to look for apts.The apt guide they gave me has too many options. I have only a day to look, so any advice on which apts to focus is appreciated. Thanks.

It honestly depends on price-range and what exactly you are looking for. If you have anything like that to help narrow it down for people to help you out then we can go from there

Members don't see this ad :)

are you in the fb group? There is a lot of good advice on apartments

It honestly depends on price-range and what exactly you are looking for. If you have anything like that to help narrow it down for people to help you out then we can go from there

I am looking for 1 bed room with fitness center closeby or in the apt complex, ofcourse safe neighborhood and not too far from the school. Price range $600-$700.

I am looking for 1 bed room with fitness center closeby or in the apt complex, ofcourse safe neighborhood and not too far from the school. Price range $600-$700.

Okay there are a couple that i would reccommend. The one that has a gym pretty much right by the apartment complex is the Belmont and you get a discount for living at the Belmont to go to the gym. It also has an outdoor quarter mile track. The 1 beds I believe go about 675 ish but i'm sure there is a move in special you can figure out. Only drawback to this location is just that. Its about a 20-25 min drive to school during the school rush...other times its only about 15 min.

The next place I would reccommend is Breckenridge. This is where many med students live at. I'm not sure about the gym but it's a little bit closer to the school and the rent is pretty resonible. Also from what I hear its a good study environment.

The only other 2-3 that i would reccommend checking out if you don't have a decision by then would be Turtle Creek Apartments, Crowne, and Arbor Walk.

Hopefully that helps out a little bit on your search

The info helps me a great deal. Thank YOU.

Anyone have any idea as to what the status is of the class? How close to filled, etc?

Anyone have any idea as to what the status is of the class? How close to filled, etc?

My understanding is that there about 15 seats left in the class of 2016. But do not panic as there will be movement among those who accept other offers that they deem better for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh can't wait to hear back from them. Had my interview on the 20th. Dr. Weir notified us that they would be meeting on the 30th to discuss applications! It seems like there are so few seats left and plenty of interview groups.

By chance, does anyone know if WCUCOM does a silent rejection post-secondary? I have yet to hear anything since submitting my secondary over a month ago. Thanks!

So my interview isn't until the 21st of May and I hear the majority of the spots are already taken. Freaking out a little about that fact.

If someone wouldn't mind answering, what are some of the questions they ask during the interview?
This is going to be my first interview to any Medical School, so any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

So my interview isn't until the 21st of May and I hear the majority of the spots are already taken. Freaking out a little about that fact.

If someone wouldn't mind answering, what are some of the questions they ask during the interview?
This is going to be my first interview to any Medical School, so any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

I can only offer an opinion. Take it for what it is worth. (Sorry, I had to include the "legalese")

There may not be any spots open by then but i do know a couple of things.

1.) WCU does not waste their time nor the applicants time in setting up and having interviews.
2.) There will be movement into the Class of 2016 from the wait-list.

They will ask questions such as "Why DO?, Why William Carey? as well as an ethical question. The interview will be very laid back. If they invite you for an interview then they are interested in you.

Got a call from Dr. Weir today.
ACCEPTED!

Didn't get a call today, interviewed last week

Losing hope!

Got a call today as well. Accepted. Glad to be part of the family!!

Can someone please give me Dr. Wier's email address? Thanks

Does WCU offer "in person" pre-Application counseling like UMC?

Does WCU offer "in person" pre-Application counseling like UMC?
Yes, Dr. Weir is very good to talk to potential applicants. I spoke with him a few months before my application submission this year.

anyone know if they have made decisions on the deferred students yet?

Disregard any statements made by KG062007. He was rejected from Meharry University, which says more than enough about his qualifications for medical school.

Meharry is a better school than William Carey. Don't kid yourself.

Meharry is a better school than William Carey. Don't kid yourself.

Please, do NOT apply at WCUCOM!

For the record:

Meharry Medical College
Average GPA: 3.1
Average MCAT: 7.5

1st Class William Carey (Started late in application cycle)
Average GPA-3.35 ??
Average MCAT-8.2 (24.6)

The MCAT and GPA was around a 26 and a 3.4 in my class.

Please, do NOT apply at WCUCOM!

For the record:

Meharry Medical College
Average GPA: 3.1
Average MCAT: 7.5

1st Class William Carey (Started late in application cycle)
Average GPA-3.35 ??
Average MCAT-8.2 (24.6)

The MCAT and GPA was around a 26 and a 3.4 in my class.

Where are you people getting these numbers? If you look at the MSAR for this year, Meharry had an average MCAT of 26 and 3.5 GPA. This is an official publication, you can look it up. Meharry has many research oppurtunities for it's students, and has graduated thousands of physicians. I would love to see some OFFICIAL stats for William Carey. Please don't try to put down HBCU schools because of your percieved inferiority comlpex.

Where are you people getting these numbers? If you look at the MSAR for this year, Meharry had an average MCAT of 26 and 3.5 GPA. This is an official publication, you can look it up. Meharry has many research oppurtunities for it's students, and has graduated thousands of physicians. I would love to see some OFFICIAL stats for William Carey. Please don't try to put down HBCU schools because of your percieved inferiority comlpex.

This Tennessee native has no inferiority complex nor issue with Meharry or any HBCU. There is no doubt Meharry has turned out many fine physicians for many years. I do not know that much about Meharry and quite frankly, do not care to know that much about Meharry. If Meharry produces competent physicians, then that is all that matters to me. This is especially true since I hope to go back to Tennessee to practice and will not doubt interact with them.

It appears that you have the complex because you come into a forum about WCU defending Meharry, I understand that you did not appreciate the comment made to which you originally responded, but trying to tear down one school to build up another one is dumb and not professional, IMHO.

I get sick of premeds who want to take shots at this school and that one, without taking the time to do a little research. I also get sick of their judging of schools without any basis. Research the schools that you are interested in and shut up about the others:mad: Glad I got that off my chest.

For the record, here is where I found the stats I qouted on Meharry:
http://www.mcattestscores.com/usmedicalschoolsmcatscoresGPA.html

I do not have a copy of the MSAR nor do I plan to buy one, so I will take your word on the stats listed.

Best of luck to you in the application process and wherever you end up.

well this thread is dead lol i got the call this morning. going to mull the offer over.

Declined the offer. Good luck to you all

I am worried about starting school here in a few weeks after reading this thread. Has the situation improved there at all?

When I interviewed there, I had many reservations with some of their policies (especially the attendance and school uniform rules). If you cant figure out how to dress for class you shouldn't be in medical school. On top of that I found it extremely odd that the medical school is run by a lawyer/dentist (he was a great guy, but it seemed weird).

Am I making a terrible decision going there and spending ~70,000 dollars a year on an education? Would any of the people posting that are current students make a different decision on matriculation if they could go back? Have any of the concerns here been addressed yet? Is Hattiesburg a good place to live, and does anyone enjoy their life at the school?

I am worried about starting school here in a few weeks after reading this thread. Has the situation improved there at all?

When I interviewed there, I had many reservations with some of their policies (especially the attendance and school uniform rules). If you cant figure out how to dress for class you shouldn't be in medical school. On top of that I found it extremely odd that the medical school is run by a lawyer/dentist (he was a great guy, but it seemed weird).

Am I making a terrible decision going there and spending ~70,000 dollars a year on an education? Would any of the people posting that are current students make a different decision on matriculation if they could go back? Have any of the concerns here been addressed yet? Is Hattiesburg a good place to live, and does anyone enjoy their life at the school?

NO, I would not change my decision if I could go back. I am satisfied with WCU and the quality of education there. This is especially true after spending time shadowing with other medical students from other schools. Issues are being addressed.

Starting medical school is a daunting process in itself. You are full of questions and doubts. This is normal. But the FB page for the class of 2016 is there to help people with these doubts and question. It is also why many from the class of 2015 are on that page

If these things that you find odd are big enough issues, then please do NOT come!

How are the issues being addressed

Have you even joined the FB group for the class of 2016? There are many answers to your questions there.

IMHO, the issues brought up by the inaugural class will have little to no effect on you.

Our first year's schedule was different than theirs. (Three -1 hours classes were dropped.) The first year schedule for the class of 2016 is basically the same as ours. Our second year schedule is also different, allowing for more board prep.

If you have any further questions you can pm me or ask the FB group.

Have you even joined the FB group for the class of 2016? There are many answers to your questions there.

IMHO, the issues brought up by the inaugural class will have little to no effect on you.

Our first year's schedule was different than theirs. (Three -1 hours classes were dropped.) The first year schedule for the class of 2016 is basically the same as ours. Our second year schedule is also different, allowing for more board prep.

If you have any further questions you can pm me or ask the FB group.

Wow! Every school needs a thread like this. It highlights the good and bad. For those of us who are applying for the class or 2013, what issues still exist at this school? Has the situation with the dean improved any?

Hey guys,

Does anybody have access to the match list for 2012?