WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay now its my turn to complain.

I'm tired of reading this thread and seeing complaints that are already being addressed in house. I'm also tired of being in meetings on campus where people complain about their "perceived" plight.

This a free country. No one's forcing you to do anything. if you're tired of "seeing" complaints stop visiting this thread. No one's forcing you to attend any meetings against your will.

The truth is that the school is new and the administrators are experimenting to provide the best possible medical education. Their goal is to provide the best environment for medical students to become good physicians. Their goal is NOT to train us to pass the boards. The boards are important as a measure of our training; however, good board scores do not indicate one's fitness to become a good physician.

That's fine and dandy, but can you explain to me how you expect to practice medicine without passing the boards? It'd better be their goal to train us to pass the boards. And technically you don't "learn" how to be a good physician until you actually start practicing medicine, which is on clinical rotations & residency.

As far as the attendance policy is concerned, it is being changed. The majority of the student body does not like the current policy and neither does most of the faculty. They did not want to change it in the middle of the year because it could complicate things; however, they are going to address it now for the sake of the second years' concerns about the COMLEX. This at least shows compassion among the administrators (COCA strongly suggested changes but did not require they be made, or even made this year).

"Complicate" things? Of course it would. Abolishing the attendance policy would just make learning too easy. Who needs all this extra free time to study anyways right?

To those that are viewing this thread in interest to come to WCUCOM please do not make your decision based on the comments of a few angry people. They do not represent the belief of the entire student body. I believe I can speak for most of the student body and say that WCUCOM is a great school, with great faculty, and great facilities. Given all of the "problems" with the school, I would still pick this school over any other school.
By a FEW angry people you must mean the more than 75% of the class that feels this way. And NO, you can't speak for most of the student body especially when you’re in the minority. This school has the potential to be a great school. The faculty may have the best intentions in the world, but that doesn’t change the fact that the quality of teaching is just not quite there yet. I’m doing well in all my classes, but I feel so unprepared for the boards. The professors barely emphasize clinical correlations. The facility IS really nice, but it would be even nicer if we got to make full use of it (cameras in the classroom).

Members don't see this ad.

The hours in class don't worry me as much as the potential issues regarding the quality of the professors/curriculum.

I. Anatomy:
Dr. Spriggs: One of the best professors, too bad she can't teach them all. Makes you want to come to class.
Sarpie: Waste of time going to class, Most in the class could not follow him.

II. Embryology:
Dr. Martin: could care less if the students learned anything

III. Histology:
Dr. Millette: very good

IV. Physical Diagnosis I:
Very poor use of time, they should have got right to the point with diagnosing.

V. OP&P: no comment

VI. Doctoring Skills I: don't even remember

This should give you an idea of what to expect for your first semester from my point of view. I can't wait to hear all of the "thats your opinion" "your unprofessional" "your just sour".....What else can I give you but the truth as I see it? I promise you, I am not alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are only a few complaints regarding SOME of the professors. Some of them are the best teachers I have had in my life. As far as the curriculum goes? It will slowly evolve and get better.

I would have to agree with this post. Now I am only a first year, so I have not had all of the professors at WCU-COM.

Okay now its my turn to complain.

I'm tired of reading this thread and seeing complaints that are already being addressed in house. I'm also tired of being in meetings on campus where people complain about their "perceived" plight. The truth is that the school is new and the administrators are experimenting to provide the best possible medical education. Their goal is to provide the best environment for medical students to become good physicians. Their goal is NOT to train us to pass the boards. The boards are important as a measure of our training; however, good board scores do not indicate one's fitness to become a good physician.

As far as the attendance policy is concerned, it is being changed. The majority of the student body does not like the current policy and neither does most of the faculty. They did not want to change it in the middle of the year because it could complicate things; however, they are going to address it now for the sake of the second years' concerns about the COMLEX. This at least shows compassion among the administrators (COCA strongly suggested changes but did not require they be made, or even made this year).

To those that are viewing this thread in interest to come to WCUCOM please do not make your decision based on the comments of a few angry people. They do not represent the belief of the entire student body. I believe I can speak for most of the student body and say that WCUCOM is a great school, with great faculty, and great facilities. Given all of the "problems" with the school, I would still pick this school over any other school.

To the FEW complaining second year students, if you expected to be the first class in a brand new school that ran like clockwork then you were/are very naive. Stop ruining the reputation of this school by complaining on SDN because it will not fix anything, only turn away prospective students. If you must complain, at least turn your complaints elsewhere. Are there legitimate concerns for those interested in WCUCOM? yes. Should they be aware of them? yes. Should you harp on them and not focus on all of the other positive things? no.

I haven't posted on SDN in over a year, but I checked it the other day and I am shocked at some of the negativity offered on this forum.

My intent was not to anger anyone with this post but to defend my school from arbitrary complaints. If you are a prospective student and you want to know what current students are complaining about then ask, but realize that any answer may be the opinion of just one or two students.

Im sure we will all get an email about this thread or have a class discussion... Maybe the thought of future prospective students being turned off of coming to school here will be enough motivation for the administration to make changes that the MAJORITY of the student body has been asking for. So its not really a waste of time to voice our concerns and complains on here if that is the case.

1.) I'm not sure why you brought up your military accomplishments; maybe it is to make a point or so we will respect you more. It actually strenghten's our argument though, thanks for that.

2.) Your leadship rant is far to idealistic for real life in medical school, not to mention you are paid to be soldier, but we are PAYING for a SERVICE. NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE!

3.) So in other words, we are complaining to the masses and subordinates when we are posting to potential physicians reading SDN; that is kinda offensive don't you think? Maybe if I went to Walmart and voiced concerns about WCUCOM's attendance policy to random shoppers with no connection to the school, you would have a point.

4.) You were in charge on the mountain, nobody told you exactly how to do things...you had a mission in which they thought you had the tools to complete. You probably had to MODIFY some the PROTOCOLS in order to fit the specific problems you faced. THAT IS WHAT WE WANT HERE MAN!

I don't see how it strengthens your argument.

There is little difference in the fact that it is volunteer service and it was a volunteer school. Just like you volunteered to go to this medical school.

There are better ways to vent frustration than appearing to be a loose cannon with a serious attitude problem. You know the it only takes one bad apple bit...

They are modifying things at the school, maybe not as quickly as you would like but it is happening on a class by class basis. And what gives you the right to dictate to the faculty and staff what you need to be a successful medical student - I have learned in life that sometimes things don't always make sense until you get to your destination.

Do you think that there is a possibility that you will look back and say that the ends justified the means? So, if there is any chance of that happening, then maybe you should focus your passion towards your studies and not towards posting these inflammatory comments.

I am not trying to be disrespectful towards you. I mean you are the one living it right now, not me. Just remember that the people you are fighting with will be the very people on campus looking to you for tactful insight into how things work, or they may just dismiss you because you have lost their respect.

Just sayin...

I am a current second year student, and hopefully I can expand a little more on how classes have been thus far. Let me preface by saying this is only my opinion and you can take it for what it is worth. I do not claim to speak for my classmates. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible and my intentions are to provide prospective students with a realistic outlook on the education and faculty provided at WCUCOM. I have been studying for the boards for about 2 months, taken 1 full COMLEX practice test and I have a good idea of how each course I have taken so far has prepared me for the COMLEX 1. The score I list after each course is how well I feel that the teacher/course prepared me for boards and has nothing to do with my personal opinion of an idividual faculty member as a person.Scale 0-10 with 0=completely unprepared, as if I never took the course; 10=completely confident I will pass the boards in this subject without much review of material. Here goes:
1st year:
Embryology- 5
Histology- 8
Gross Anatomy- 9
OP&P- 8
Neuroanatomy- 1
Physiology- 7
Biochemistry- 4
Immunology- 6
ICCBM- 8

2nd year:
Pathology- 2
Microbiology- 7
OP&P- 8
Medicine- 3
Surgery- 9
OBGYN- 5
Physical Diagnosis- 5
*Pharmacology- 7
*Neuroscience- 3

Note: other classes taken that because of their irrelevance on boards I did not mention include- oral health, disaster medicine, ENT, epidemiology, opthamology, & pediatrics
* = class began in Jan. therefore my opinion is subject to change
ICCBM= intro to clinical, community, and behavioral medicine (basically they teach it as if it were psychiatry)

Outgoing message: right now the biggest issue is pathology at WCUCOM because it is heavily tested on boards and as you saw from the score I gave, I am completely unprepared in that subject, but that just means more studying on my own this summer. Part of the problem with our pathology course was that it was crammed into 1 semester, and I don't know of other schools do this but it was definately not conducive to learning. I believe the administration is making changes to allow path to be a year long course but that is only rumors at this point. If I was applying right now I would not be worried because by the time my class' COMLEX scores come in this summer/fall the school will know that either our students did well and we will continue to do what works or our students did bad now what can we do to change that.

I am a current second year student, and hopefully I can expand a little more on how classes have been thus far. Let me preface by saying this is only my opinion and you can take it for what it is worth. I do not claim to speak for my classmates. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible and my intentions are to provide prospective students with a realistic outlook on the education and faculty provided at WCUCOM. I have been studying for the boards for about 2 months, taken 1 full COMLEX practice test and I have a good idea of how each course I have taken so far has prepared me for the COMLEX 1. The score I list after each course is how well I feel that the teacher/course prepared me for boards and has nothing to do with my personal opinion of an idividual faculty member as a person.Scale 0-10 with 0=completely unprepared, as if I never took the course; 10=completely confident I will pass the boards in this subject without much review of material. Here goes:
1st year:
Embryology- 5
Histology- 8
Gross Anatomy- 9
OP&P- 8
Neuroanatomy- 1
Physiology- 7
Biochemistry- 4
Immunology- 6
ICCBM- 8

2nd year:
Pathology- 2
Microbiology- 7
OP&P- 8
Medicine- 3
Surgery- 9
OBGYN- 5
Physical Diagnosis- 5
*Pharmacology- 7
*Neuroscience- 3

Note: other classes taken that because of their irrelevance on boards I did not mention include- oral health, disaster medicine, ENT, epidemiology, opthamology, & pediatrics
* = class began in Jan. therefore my opinion is subject to change
ICCBM= intro to clinical, community, and behavioral medicine (basically they teach it as if it were psychiatry)

Outgoing message: right now the biggest issue is pathology at WCUCOM because it is heavily tested on boards and as you saw from the score I gave, I am completely unprepared in that subject, but that just means more studying on my own this summer. Part of the problem with our pathology course was that it was crammed into 1 semester, and I don't know of other schools do this but it was definately not conducive to learning. I believe the administration is making changes to allow path to be a year long course but that is only rumors at this point. If I was applying right now I would not be worried because by the time my class' COMLEX scores come in this summer/fall the school will know that either our students did well and we will continue to do what works or our students did bad now what can we do to change that.

Thanks...you're objective opinion is appreciated. Hopefully, they make any necessary adjustments.

Thanks...you're objective opinion is appreciated. Hopefully, they make any necessary adjustments.

Okay, this is the opinion/plea from a prospective student...

I have my interview there in less than a month. And I can't help but say.. all of these messages are extremely discouraging. This is the only interview I have been granted so far, since I applied a little late into the cycle. But receiving the interview was probably the greatest feeling ever.

After reading these things, I have to think. Should I just forget it? Keep another year to myself and reapply? I was looking forward to going to this school, but I know very well how students' opinions are extremely honest and beneficial to all other students. The university I went to for undergrad and grad school was a private institution, and thought it had its flaws, I still think that it's the Harvard of the South. I love it, and its flaws. I would not trade it for anything. Ever.

It's sad to think that reading these things about WCU-COM may deter myself and others from attending... If I had read things on my college before I attended, I probably would have felt the same. I just don't think you can go through things like this with the mentality that "it's not the perfect school." NO SCHOOL is the perfect school (and I'm not even at WCU-COM yet!!)

All in all, I'm just asking... are these things objective? Do people regret going to the school? Is it only because it's fairly new? Are we guinea pigs? SHOULD I RECONSIDER?

--confused much.

Okay, this is the opinion/plea from a prospective student...

I have my interview there in less than a month. And I can't help but say.. all of these messages are extremely discouraging. This is the only interview I have been granted so far, since I applied a little late into the cycle. But receiving the interview was probably the greatest feeling ever.

After reading these things, I have to think. Should I just forget it? Keep another year to myself and reapply? I was looking forward to going to this school, but I know very well how students' opinions are extremely honest and beneficial to all other students. The university I went to for undergrad and grad school was a private institution, and thought it had its flaws, I still think that it's the Harvard of the South. I love it, and its flaws. I would not trade it for anything. Ever.

It's sad to think that reading these things about WCU-COM may deter myself and others from attending... If I had read things on my college before I attended, I probably would have felt the same. I just don't think you can go through things like this with the mentality that "it's not the perfect school." NO SCHOOL is the perfect school (and I'm not even at WCU-COM yet!!)

All in all, I'm just asking... are these things objective? Do people regret going to the school? Is it only because it's fairly new? Are we guinea pigs? SHOULD I RECONSIDER?

--confused much.

Here's how I feel. The opinions being expressed here are on two opposite ends of the spectrum. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. This year, I was only accepted at WCU and I was wait-listed at another school. Last year I didn't receive any interviews b/c I applied a little late. I would NOT cancel my interview if it was the only one I have received. I would take the opportunity to talk to current students. I would even bring up these perceived issues w/the faculty members during my interview. Of course, you should do it in a polite way, rather than saying, "Some current 2nd years say some professors are horrible..." lol. Of course they will probably down play it, but all you can do is ask.

Applying to medical school can be can be a total crapshoot. The number of applicants keep going up and up and up. This year set a new record for applications.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/e-news/ome/2012-02/Pages/Applications.aspx

It is not simply enough to get your application in early. So once again, I would recommend that you should go to your interview. Go and see for yourself. If you're accepted, take the 30 days to consider your options carefully. If you believe the school will improve and you can adjust to the issues, then go there. Otherwise, get ready for next year.

On the moon: Go to the interview. I agree with everything BossDoc posted. The truth lies somewhere in the middle and med school seats are hard to come by. Also, canceling your interview could negatively affect your chances next year for WCUCOM ie "we spent our time and effort to review the app and extend the interview only to have the student cancel, why should we do it again?".

During the interview, you'll get to have lunch with the students. The folks you will talk too are not hand picked cheerleaders; they are simply the students that want to offer you their perspective of our school (and get free lunch). Ask questions regarding your concerns. I believe you will get honest answers.

Lastly, keep in mind this is a new school. The curriculum WILL change before, during and after your time here (should you decide to attend). If you are the personality type that likes everything to be concrete and hate frequent adjustments or adaptations, then we probably aren't the place you want to pick. I, personally, am proud to be part of the inaugural class and love the challenge of helping to mold a new program. Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
On The Moon,

I know how you must feel, and I considered how my opinions and experiences would effect the psyche of prospective students. In the end; however, if I could possibly lead someone in a better direction or give them the opportunity to slow down and think about their options, I felt it was worth maybe hurting someone's feelings temporarily. You have probalbly heard the saying, "pay now or pay later", well I would rather pay now then pay much more later especially when it comes to my career. I should have done more research, but I am here now. I want to make the best of it, but to me that means do your best in your studies and also do whatever you can to improve the system that is supposed to be taylored to give us the opportunity to gain the most knowledge. To others, it means keep your mouth shut and let someone else tell you how to learn the information, because the amount of class time we have now greatly supports this system.

If you have only this interview and you get in, by all means, come. If you are a self motived learner, you will do fine, and the administration may come to their senses before you start. And Remeber, the right textbooks will teach you all of the "hands off" knowledge that you need.

Good luck at your interview, and I would NOT BRING UP CLASS ATTENDANCE OR PROFESSOR QUALITY. That would be a huge red flag to them.

Last edited:
On The Moon,

I know how you must feel, and I considered how my opinions and experiences would effect the psyche of prospective students. In the end; however, if I could possibly lead someone in a better direction or give them the opportunity to slow down and think about their options, I felt it was worth maybe hurting someone's feelings temporarily. You have probalbly heard the saying, "pay now or pay later", well I would rather pay now then pay much more later especially when it comes to my career. I should have done more research, but I am here now. I want to make the best of it, but to me that means do your best in your studies and also do whatever you can to improve the system that is supposed to be tayored to give us the opportunity to gain the most knowledge. To others, it means keep your mouth shut and let someone else tell you how to learn the information, because the amount of class time we have now greatly supports this system.

If you have only this interview and you get in, by all means, come. If you are a self motived learner, you will do fine, and the administration may come to their senses before you start. And Remeber, the right textbooks will teach you all of the "hands off" knowledge that you need.

Good luck at your interview, and I would NOT BRING UP CLASS ATTENDANCE OR PROFESSOR QUALITY. That would be a huge red flag to them.

On the moon, please BRING up class attendance &/or professor quality or any other concerns that you might have. Most of the students that talk to applicants will give you THEIR OWN PERSONAL OPINION of the school, professor quality, ect.

Contrary to anyone has said, there has been no definite data to support any claims of what the majority of the student body at WCU-COM feels about the issues being expressed here on SDN. No definite polls have been done to support claims either way. These issues affect all of us but each of us react differently to them. All of us want to receive the medical training that we are paying for. Whether this is being done or not, there is an obvious difference of opinion. All I can say on this is that COCA, the body that governs Osteopathic medical schools, has come, inspected, and listened to our concerns. They have made recommendations to the school and also have formally praised the school.

WCU-COM is a work in progress but MY PERSONAL OPINION is that it will be an excellent medical school. The only way anyone can truly know, without experiencing it, is to come and see. Ask hard questions, then go for what you think is the best option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Contrary to anyone has said, there has been no definite data to support any claims of what the majority of the student body at WCU-COM feels about the issues being expressed here on SDN. No definite polls have been done to support claims either way. These issues affect all of us but each of us react differently to them. All of us want to receive the medical training that we are paying for. Whether this is being done or not, there is an obvious difference of opinion. All I can say on this is that COCA, the body that governs Osteopathic medical schools, has come, inspected, and listened to our concerns. They have made recommendations to the school and also have formally praised the school.

This is not true. There was a poll done on class attendance for OMS II. Around 80% of those polled are against the current attendance policy. This means that if the same poll was done on OMS I and 21% voted against the attendance policy (I know it's probably closer to 60%) that would be the majority. It was posted by the water fountain in the lecture hall lobby. Again, you can ask the students about the teachers and the attendance policy, but you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you bring it up during the actual interview.

I know someone who reads this and doesn't like it will try to say wow! you can add or some other immature remark like "Also, there is no one here to change my diaper. waaaaah!" but lets try to leave 5th grade out of this.

I personally wouldn't base whether or not I attend a school only by what is said about it on SDN. Take the pro's and con's for what they are worth, they are anonymous comments written on a public forum. I am not here to disregard any of the previous pro's or con's about this school, rather urge applicants to make informed decisions for yourself based on what is right for you, your family, etc. I will be glad to answer any questions, as unbiased as I can, and to the best of my knowledge via PM. I do not want to continue the bash and slash, whether I agree with what is being said or not, as I don't feel this is the purpose of this specific thread.

To everyone who posted a reply so quickly after I posted, thank you, thank you, thank you. I don't think I can say that enough. Simply because, the fact that people on here care enough to give their opinions and attempt to provide advice is a deeply generous gesture, and I seriously am grateful to all of you.

From this and the PMs alone, I think that there are amazing people at this school. You all seem to care a great amount, and that speaks volumes about the kind of people that are admitted to WCU-COM.. I would love to be a part of a student body filled with people who care that much.

In terms of class attendance, faculty adequacy, anything really, I think what we all tend to forget is that undergrad was much the same. But somehow, we all loved it. And somehow, we loved its flaws, too.

I will do as one of the posters said above: go to the interview with an open mind, form my own opinions, compare it to those on SDN, and see where I stand.

No matter what, this school offered me a chance. It's the mere chance of an interview that we all fought for throughout all these years of studying. I guess we'll see what happens post-interview then.

Thanks again to all of you.

PS. I think the scariest thing is that when you look at other schools' threads, you dont see as much negativity. But I spoke to my best friends at KCUMB and Touro NY - both schools (ranging from really really old and established to really really new), have their issues. There's no escaping it. But I dont think people voice it as much textually as I have seen here. I think that's what threw me off to be honest haha.

This is not true. There was a poll done on class attendance for OMS II. Around 80% of those polled are against the current attendance policy. This means that if the same poll was done on OMS I and 21% voted against the attendance policy (I know it's probably closer to 60%) that would be the majority. It was posted by the water fountain in the lecture hall lobby. Again, you can ask the students about the teachers and the attendance policy, but you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you bring it up during the actual interview.{ QUOTE]

My 2nd year colleague and I are in agreement in a couple of points.

1. DO NOT bring this stuff up in an interview!!!

2. I remember the aforementioned posting by the water cooler. Since, I am a 1st year, I am not aware of any of the polls done by the 2nd year class. I do not think that my class was polled on this. It is no secret that the attendance policy is not a favorite of most people and would be eliminated by the classes if it could be. To me, it is just something I live with.

Take everything you read with a grain of salt. Come and see if WCU-COM is a good fit for you. Then make the best decision for you.

To everyone who posted a reply so quickly after I posted, thank you, thank you, thank you. I don't think I can say that enough. Simply because, the fact that people on here care enough to give their opinions and attempt to provide advice is a deeply generous gesture, and I seriously am grateful to all of you.

From this and the PMs alone, I think that there are amazing people at this school. You all seem to care a great amount, and that speaks volumes about the kind of people that are admitted to WCU-COM.. I would love to be a part of a student body filled with people who care that much.

In terms of class attendance, faculty adequacy, anything really, I think what we all tend to forget is that undergrad was much the same. But somehow, we all loved it. And somehow, we loved its flaws, too.

I will do as one of the posters said above: go to the interview with an open mind, form my own opinions, compare it to those on SDN, and see where I stand.

No matter what, this school offered me a chance. It's the mere chance of an interview that we all fought for throughout all these years of studying. I guess we'll see what happens post-interview then.

Thanks again to all of you.

PS. I think the scariest thing is that when you look at other schools' threads, you dont see as much negativity. But I spoke to my best friends at KCUMB and Touro NY - both schools (ranging from really really old and established to really really new), have their issues. There's no escaping it. But I dont think people voice it as much textually as I have seen here. I think that's what threw me off to be honest haha.
Also, I would take into consideration (at least for the extremely negative remarks) that these remarks are only a small amount out of the student body as a whole. I can promise you that when you come for your interview, you will find few people that will be as negative about the school as what is presented here. As far as all of the statistics go that are being thrown back and forth, well...you know what they say about statistics. As for comparing WCU to any other medical school, that's like comparing apples and oranges...especially whoever brought UAB up above (which has an integrated/systems based curriculum which is much different than what is being run here) I, as a current OMS I, am actually semi-enjoying it. It is stressful at times, especially when you have 2-3 exams every week for a few weeks in a row. There are issues that need to be worked out, some of which I, too am not happy about. What you can't forget is that this is medical school, not undergrad. They don't hold your hand..nor should they. It is much harder, if nothing but because of the amount of info you are being presented. Also, it requires much more independent studying time/self motivation...which, speaking on terms of what I know from a 1st year's perspective, is doable even with the attendance policy. These big issues will be worked out in time as the school grows and changes. They will have to if the school wants to remain open and make a good reputation for itself...which is the goal of the administration. We as a student body need to put more effort into trying to get something done about these issues rather than coming on a forum anonymously and berating our professors and our school [and ourselves for our own decisions to come here/stay here if we really think it is that bad--and don't reply to me about debt and the like...because in the end being happy is more important than being in debt (which can be payed off even if it takes time) or just plain wasting your time]. I am glad you decided to come to your interview, and be sure to bring up any questions you have at lunch with students. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as with any other. I can say that I have no loyalty to any club and am just calling it as I personally see it. Good luck on your interview and hope to see you soon! If you, or anyone who reads this, have any questions--feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Regarding the WCUCOM attendance policy? Hardly unique.

Furthermore, as a faculty member, and a key member of important student-related committees, I will note that to date not a single student has been "docked" in any manner for lack of adherence to the attendance policy.

Really! As a physician-to-be you are preparing for being "on-call" whenever. Get a grip and start preparing for the career you are about to choose.

Meaning here to provide friendly and experienced advise - not trying to be confrontational.

Last edited:
Regarding the WCUCOM attendance policy? Hardly unique.

Furthermore, as a faculty member, and a key member of important student-related committees, I will note that to date not a single student has been "docked" in any manner for lack of adherence to the attendance policy.

Really! As a physician-to-be you are preparing for being "on-call" whenever. Get a grip and start preparing for the career you are about to choose.

Meaning here to provide friendly and experienced advise - not trying to be confrontational.

So if you work hard and learn the material by your own methods (even if you don't go to class except for labs) then you won't be penalized? Because if that is what you are saying then this issue is resolved.

Duhwinning,

Why does it matter so much that we put our names to these comments? I'll tell you why. If you take away anonymity then you control public opinion. If you control public opinion then you can create whatever image you want (real or not). Why do think survey monkey is anonymous? BECAUSE THEY WANT THE TRUTH AS WE SEE IT or at least give that impression. Why do you think suggestion boxes are placed in various businesses? It is because the business wants to improve the product / service or at least give that impression. You and others keep bringing this concept up in an attempt to belittle the current students that express legitimate criticisms about this school. No one wants to be called a coward, and you and others are preying on this universal aversion, probably because you have no other way of keeping us quiet.

Anyway,

I've also read and heard that WCUCOM puts the students first. Well, in my opinion the student is more toward the bottom of the pile.

When will the following be addressed (not just "talked about").

1.) video recorded lectures and /or

2.) A NOTE TAKING SERVICE.

3.) A student government that actually serves us, by providing, answers to the real questions, time lines of when things will be changed, or at least evidence that they are doing something other than planning socials etc. If this is REALLY a dictatorship here then don't waste our time with a puppet SGA. Don't tell me you've worked really hard for us, while you add this to your resume' and fail to accomplish anything that will potentially enrich our careers in the future. It seems to me that WCUCOM is more about rules and CONTROL than EDUCTATION. THAT IS NOT WHAT WE SHOULD BE PAYING FOR.

The attendance policy issue may seem like a broken record, but I'm tired of the excuse always being "It's a new school, give them a break" or"we are pioneers". THERE ARE MANY OTHER "TEMPLATES" OUT THERE THAT ARE WELL ESTABLISHED AND WORK JUST FINE it should only require a few adjustments.

Tell me this, in which way is WCUCOM trying to be on the "cuttingedge" and different from other institutions?

Last edited:
Duhwinning,

Why does it matter so much that we put our names to these comments? I'lltell you why. If you take away anonymity then you control public opinion. Ifyou control public opinion then you can create whatever image you want (real ornot). Why do think survey monkey is anonymous? BECAUSE THEY WANT THE TRUTH ASWE SEE IT or at least give that impression. Why do you think suggestion boxesare placed in various businesses? It is because the business wants to improvethe product/ service or at least give that impression. You and others keepbringing this concept up in an attempt to belittle the current students thatexpress legitimate criticisms about this school. No one wants to be called acoward, and you and others are preying on this universal aversion, probablybecause you have no other way of keeping us quiet.

Anyway,

I've also read and heard that WCUCOM puts the students first. Well, in my opinion the student is more toward the bottom of the pile.

3.) A student government that actually serves us, by providing, answers tothe real questions, time lines of when things will be changed, or at leastevidence that they are doing something other than planning socials etc. If thisis REALLY a dictatorship here then don't waste our time with a puppet SGA.Don't tell me you've worked really hard for us, while you add this to yourresume' and fail to accomplish anything that will potentially enrich ourcareers in the future. It seems to me that WCUCOM is more about rules andCONTROL than EDUCTATION. THAT IS NOT WHAT WE SHOULD BE PAYING FOR.

The attendance policy issue may seem like a broken record, but I’m tired ofthe excuse always being "It’s a new school, give them a break" or"we are pioneers". THERE ARE MANY OTHER "TEMPLATES" OUTTHERE THAT ARE WELL ESTABLISHED AND WORK JUST FINE it should only require a fewadjustments.

Tell me this, in which way is WCUCOM trying to be on the "cuttingedge" and different from other institutions?

Are you sure your a medical student. Cause you have way too much free time to be replying to every person everyday.
Your warnings were made, but now your just starting to sound bitter and a troll

Duhwinning,

Why does it matter so much that we put our names to these comments? I'lltell you why. If you take away anonymity then you control public opinion. Ifyou control public opinion then you can create whatever image you want (real ornot). Why do think survey monkey is anonymous? BECAUSE THEY WANT THE TRUTH ASWE SEE IT or at least give that impression. Why do you think suggestion boxesare placed in various businesses? It is because the business wants to improvethe product/ service or at least give that impression. You and others keepbringing this concept up in an attempt to belittle the current students thatexpress legitimate criticisms about this school. No one wants to be called acoward, and you and others are preying on this universal aversion, probablybecause you have no other way of keeping us quiet.

Anyway,

3.) A student government that actually serves us, by providing, answers tothe real questions, time lines of when things will be changed, or at leastevidence that they are doing something other than planning socials etc. If thisis REALLY a dictatorship here then don't waste our time with a puppet SGA.Don't tell me you've worked really hard for us, while you add this to yourresume' and fail to accomplish anything that will potentially enrich ourcareers in the future. It seems to me that WCUCOM is more about rules andCONTROL than EDUCTATION. THAT IS NOT WHAT WE SHOULD BE PAYING FOR.

The attendance policy issue may seem like a broken record, but I’m tired ofthe excuse always being "It’s a new school, give them a break" or"we are pioneers". THERE ARE MANY OTHER "TEMPLATES" OUTTHERE THAT ARE WELL ESTABLISHED AND WORK JUST FINE it should only require a fewadjustments.

I realize that these forums are a somewhat professional environment in which to state opinions, provide advise or maybe just talk about something random. Pardon however I am being here when I say quit your bitching "992", because that is all it is to me at this point. I realize you have concerns that could very well be real issues, do something about them. You say student government is lacking, run for a position in student government. I obviously don't know you, and I may have to opportunity to meet you in August and would love to discuss these annoyances of yours when I attend WCU; but, I plan on making the best of my experience, issues or no issues.

Member992:

Do you think there are any others ways for you to get your message to the administration? I would think about the fact that you are currently a WCUCOM student and, most likely, want to graduate from this institution. This will be the school of your medical degree. Don't you want this to be a high honor? By warning prospective students that your school is less than par, you may be discouraging competitive applicants from attending WCUCOM. When bright and capable students choose to attend other schools, WCUCOM may not get the caliber of students that would build the school's reputation. I'm just saying, think ahead. This too shall pass.

crymeariver,

Are you sure you are pre-medical, because you sure do sound like you have already experienced medical school. Since you are not, then it may suit you better to stop acting like you are here and walking in our shoes. If don't like what I'm saying then don't read.

getoutofgrenada,

Watch your mouth, I may have to report you to the Dean for using one of the 12 forbidden words of WCU. LOL.........thanks for your advice, but this is all they have given us the opportunity to do ;)

Member992:

Do you think there are any others ways for you to get your message to the administration? I would think about the fact that you are currently a WCUCOM student and, most likely, want to graduate from this institution. This will be the school of your medical degree. Don't you want this to be a high honor? By warning prospective students that your school is less than par, you may be discouraging competitive applicants from attending WCUCOM. When bright and capable students choose to attend other schools, WCUCOM may not get the caliber of students that would build the school's reputation. I'm just saying, think ahead. This too shall pass.

Allowing the school to give a false image (of putting the students first) is morally unsound....you think about it. It is selfish, misleading, and wrong. I will make up for my institutions short comings in other ways, so don't you worry about that.

getoutofgrenada,

Watch your mouth, I may have to report you to the Dean for using one of the 12 forbidden words of WCU. LOL.........thanks for your advice, but this is all they have given us the opportunity to do ;)

should I ask what the other 11 are?

Also, I would take into consideration (at least for the extremely negative remarks) that these remarks are only a small amount out of the student body as a whole. I can promise you that when you come for your interview, you will find few people that will be as negative about the school as what is presented here.
I would also take into consideration (a least for the extremely positive remarks) that these remarks are only a small amount out of the student body as a whole. There may not be as many who are vocally as negative, but I can guarantee you that a good portion of the class is displeased w/ the way things are run here.

As far as all of the statistics go that are being thrown back and forth, well...you know what they say about statistics.
We're all astute people here and I don't have to sit here and tell anyone that you can't trust all data. You need to look at where the data is coming from and how the questions are being posed. There may be misleading questions, which may distort the results etc. But when you have pointed questions like, "Do you agree with the attendance policy?" and "Do you want to get rid of the attendance policy?" The results from those questions are pretty clear to me.

There are issues that need to be worked out, some of which I, too am not happy about. What you can't forget is that this is medical school, not undergrad. They don't hold your hand..nor should they. It is much harder, if nothing but because of the amount of info you are being presented. Also, it requires much more independent studying time/self motivation...which, speaking on terms of what I know from a 1st year's perspective, is doable even with the attendance policy.
No one's asking for anyone to hold anybody's hands. If anything, it seems to me the school insists on holding our hands by enforcing such a strict attendance policy. I'm actually in support of less hand holding & more independent study time. And in this aspect, my undergrad institution treats its students more like adults by the fact that there isn't an attendance policy. And actually, if I compared each class I've taken at WCU to the same classes I took as an undergrad, I can honestly tell you my undergrad school was harder and the professors were better overall. And I agree, medical school is very doable, but it would, in my opinion, be just as doable if not easier w/o an attendance policy.

The reply from the faculty member above may be true, but let me pose another question to the administration. If class attendance really doesn't matter, then why do professors still threaten to dock a letter grade for non-compliance in their syllabus? This also brings me to my next point, why is there such a disconnect in communication from the administration to the student body? Nothing is ever explained, and I feel like we're constantly being left in the dark.

We as a student body need to put more effort into trying to get something done about these issues rather than coming on a forum anonymously and berating our professors and our school [and ourselves for our own decisions to come here/stay here if we really think it is that bad--and don't reply to me about debt and the like...because in the end being happy is more important than being in debt (which can be payed off even if it takes time) or just plain wasting your time].
The fact that we were able to get a reply from a faculty member on this thread means that we at least have got their attention. And you're right, we as a student body do need to become more united to get these issues fixed. And in order to do this, students who are passively enduring (or those who are in complete denial of current situations) need to stand up and vocalize their grievances. Nothing will change if you sit idly by and pretend everything is nice & rosy. So tell me, if things changed for the better, is this ‘berating' not justified?

I came into medical school knowing that I would be over 200K in debt by the time I start practicing, & I willingly accepted that fact. But the truth of the matter is, how can I be ‘happy' when I feel like I'm pouring money down the drain? When I feel like I'm not getting the education I paid for? When I feel like I'm wasting hours of my life in lecture learning the material the most inefficient way possible. And the thought of not being prepared for the boards coupled w/ the looming, ever-rising debt constantly above my head only makes it worse. And finally, happiness is important, but let me ask you, is happiness going to help you pass the boards? Is happiness going to pay off your debt?

Wow! member 992 and McLovins FSARA

I'm sure the administration can't wait to make changes now!!

Way to pour salt in the wound!

Try breathing into a paper bag, calm down, and maybe tone it down a bit. You may actually get somewhere then.

Plus there is talk about modifying the attendance policy in your favor.

What are the best places to fly into? For the interview I mean?

I think I am going to fly into New Orleans, and rent a car from there. Does anyone know how late the interviewing day takes on the day of? Like, is a flight from new orleans at 9 too close for comfort? (If renting a car and driving back and forth from hattiesburg) ? :eek:

I think I am going to fly into New Orleans, and rent a car from there. Does anyone know how late the interviewing day takes on the day of? Like, is a flight from new orleans at 9 too close for comfort? (If renting a car and driving back and forth from hattiesburg) ? :eek:

You should be out by 4 at the very latest.

okay that sounds perfect. Are there buses or any other kind of transportation available from surrounding cities? Or is renting a car better?

Wait... how old do you have to be to even rent a car??

I flew into New Orleans as well, and rented a car from an Enterprise location about 2 miles from the airport. The airport rentals were about double the price). The ride to the Enterprise office from the airport was $16 and Enterprise offers a complimentary drop-off service so I made use of that on the way back. My flight out of New Orleans was at 7:30ish and I had plenty of time. They let the students decide the interview order so I ended up going first and was out by 2:00 pm. Even if you go in the first four, you should have more than enough time to catch your flight. Hope this helps!

Thanks!!

How were you able to rent a car though, isn't there an age minimum?

There is but I found a coupon code that waived the underage fee, so it worked for me!

You could fly into Gulfport and go north on Hwy 49. It's isually not too much more expensive and will be closer. About 70 miles away. Southwest doesn't fly there, but several other major airlines do.

:D just got the interview for march 20th =)

any heads up on anything?! this is my very first interview. so nervous. I'm from florida so this is an almost perfect distance from home!

any help is always greatly appreciated!!

Since you are comng from FL, and the MS is a gaming destination, you may be able to find a direct flight from tampa or fort lauderdale if that's close to where you live. There used to be some smaller airlines that flew in here (I worked for Contnental 'til I went back to school), but I'm not sure if they still do. I can check for you if you wish, just pm me. Gulfport is a much nicer drive than nola.

Is anybody interviewing March 6th?

I am driving from Atlanta and then driving back afterward. Let me know if anyone needs a lift. =)

:)

Wow, so I have not been on SDN in a while. I usually get on to read up on certain topics and to get some entertainment. In all this time, I have never felt so compelled to actually post as I do now.

For all you premeds out there (good luck), and those of you who have been accepted (congratulations): Please try not to be so harsh and judgemental of those who have posted negative comments on here. While they are not so great with making their criticism of WCU constructive, they are not completely wrong. People get on these forums partly to get an idea of how the school is. These students believe they are doing you a service by letting you know how they feel. You can take it or leave it. But the comments about how we are in med school and we knew it would be tough so we need to suck it up are just as inneffective coming from you as the long, angry rants about the school are coming from us ("us" reffering to the current students at WCU as a whole). You have not been in our shoes yet. Not a single person going into medical school thinks it is going to be easy. I certainly was not expecting easy. In fact, when I started school and I felt myself being annoyed at the hours and the attendence policy, I constantly told myself "suck it up" "you knew this would be hard" "don't be weak" "it is like this everywhere". I felt every school had my grueling hours and loads of classes. A few of my more resourceful colleagues spent time researching hours and classes and performance at other institutions. And then I started hearing the statistics. I can't remember the exact number but I believe we are in class around 500 hours above the average of oher schools over the course of the first two years. And many of those hours are in classes that are not required for this institution to be accredited. As a result, time is taken away from our core classes. Pharmacology and Pathology are each only alloted a semester (that is crazy!). Once I became aware of this information, I stopped telling myself to suck it up and allowed myself to be annoyed. If this were a well established school before I came here, then the argument can be put forth that I knew what I was getting myself into and I should have chosen another school. But the fact of the matter is, the class of 2014 came into this with complete trust in WCU that they would take our money and provide us with a good education. Common sense told me that our system would be modeled like many other successful schools. I don't think it was wrong for me to think that. Why not use what works? Of course we get angry. We are taking 9 classes. We are freaking out! And the worst part is that this is not the norm. So please, please don't judge us for being concerned about our future. We have a right. And anybody applying deserves to hear it.

As for those who claim the complaints are from a minority of the class: Well, I don't really have any statistics, but among the 2nd years I would bet all 4 years of my tuition that the MAJORITY are very anxious and uneasy. I can not speak for the 1st years but I can say they are benefiting from a much easier course load due to all the "bitching" that the 2nd years put forth last year. So as a whole, they probably aren't as angry. And that is good for them. And that is good for the class of 2016, because they will benefit from even more changes. But as it stands, the 2nd years have not received any benefits. That is because we are pioneers... hate that word now, btw.

As for the attendence policy: Really would not be such a big deal if the hours weren't so ridicuous. There just needs to be a balance. Like a strict attendence policy with more appropriate hours... or sick hours with no attendence policy.... I have a feeling the former is what most future classes will enjoy. And that is great.. for them.

I know this is long, I just wanted to offer a defense for the students on here who are catching mess for being negative. Believe me, they aren't just whining for the sake of it. We understand that the administration probably thinks they are making us well rounded by giving all the extra classes, so we will really impress when we set forth on rotations. And while the curriculum looks good on paper, the reality of it is that we can't look good on rotations if we don't pass our comlex first. And many of us feel like 9 classes in the last semester 2nd year leaves little to no time to prepare for comlex so we can pass and be those nice well rounded students on rotations. Hence, the anger.

Interviewing on March 19th! Anybody else interviewing then? Any tips from ppl already interviewed??

I am interviewing on March 6th. I have read on some forums that this time in the season is about interviewing for the waitlist. Does anyone know if the class is full yet at WCUCOM?

I am interviewing on March 6th. I have read on some forums that this time in the season is about interviewing for the waitlist. Does anyone know if the class is full yet at WCUCOM?

WCU interviews people in small groups,usually 6 people per day maximum. This is different from many schools which will have 20 or more people inteviewing per session. This means that WCU's classes do not fill up as fast as some schools.

I interviewed with 5 other people in April of 2011. There are 5 of us from that interview group in the first year class.

Take home message: You are NOT interviewing for the wait list but actual seats in the Class of 2016.

The WCUCOM incoming class for Fall 2012 remains unfilled, as expected at this point in the year. Speaking here AS a member of the Admissions Committee, those of you about to visit us? Good luck sincerely. The faculty here are taking each and every prospective applicant individually and seriously. We do not invite applicants for interviews unless their "paper-trail" is encouraging.

For those with interviews, just curious...how long after did you receive word of your interview after you submitted your secondary?

For those with interviews, just curious...how long after did you receive word of your interview after you submitted your secondary?
I got an email from the adcom very soon after I submitted my secondary. About two days after they received it. Maybe you shold email the adcom to check on your application. This may show them how interested you are. Good luck!

Last edited:
Looking for suggestions for any decent apartments that currents students residing. How's the traffic in rush hours going to and from school?