WCVM c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,
I have been reading this for a while now and have also applied to WCVM and UCVM this year. Just thought I would post and see who got an interview for UCVM today. I got one for March 24th so I better start preparing! I feel very unprepared as of now. Does anyone know if Calgary asks questions on current events? Where would be a good place to read up on some of the issues that veterinarians are facing?

Congrats on your interview invite akroening!!!! I don't know specifically for Calgary, but I interviewed at RVC and I was told that they'd ask some current events questions (which they did), so to prep I just read the news everyday! CBC, BBC etc - they all have science, health and technology sections which typically sum up what's good to be aware of. You can also talk to one of the vet's you're volunteering with and get their perspectives on certain issues in the field. That got me through their current events questions, but I'm sure other people will have some good suggestions that may be more relevant to UCVM's interview.

I only applied to WCVM (BC resident) so I'm still waiting.... hopefully they'll let us know soon! (but if they don't offer me an interview I hope they don't tell me tomorrow... it's my birthday! :D).

Back to OCHEM :(

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks DrSabes! I am also waiting for WCVM; hopefully it comes soon. Happy Birthday!! :)

Hey everyone,
I have been reading this for a while now and have also applied to WCVM and UCVM this year. Just thought I would post and see who got an interview for UCVM today. I got one for March 24th so I better start preparing! I feel very unprepared as of now. Does anyone know if Calgary asks questions on current events? Where would be a good place to read up on some of the issues that veterinarians are facing?

Congrats Akroening! Alas, i was rejected for an interview :( I don't understand, I had a decent GPA on my application. Do you mind me asking what your rereq marks are? a few of my friends that I thought were shoe-ins also got the boot, and we're scratching our heads a little. In terms of the essay, from what I hear they almost always ask about issues facing large animal medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Akroening! Alas, i was rejected for an interview :( I don't understand, I had a decent GPA on my application. Do you mind me asking what your rereq marks are? a few of my friends that I thought were shoe-ins also got the boot, and we're scratching our heads a little. In terms of the essay, from what I hear they almost always ask about issues facing large animal medicine
Hey Derbynerd, I'm so sorry :( keep your head up though, there is still WCVM! My GPA for the required courses was 4.0. Then I think they also asked about your last two years or something. I had a 3.97 for my first year and 4.0 for my second. Thanks for the heads up on the essay :)

Yeah, the essay is usually about large animal med or rural vet med or something like that. The interview is in an MMI format. You get like, 8-10 stations that you rotate through. The first two minutes is for reading the scenario and jotting down your thoughts; the rest of the time, you are talking through it to the interviewers. The questions are typically ethics related in some way, and historically there has been a hands-on station. I don't think they usually ask for current events as it's mostly just scenarios of what you would do or what you think about a certain thing, etc. WCVM does usually ask about current events though, and anyway it's not a bad habit to get into reading the news and know what's happening around you. :)

I applied to UCVM this year and got an interview. I was surprised because my marks are by no means spectacular. I had a 3.6 for prereqs and 3.63 for last 2 years full-time, if that helps.

Congrats to those with UCVM interviews! :D And condolences to those who didn't ... :(

Anyone notice the change to WCVM's "Message of the Day" box on the online application today?

"Interview offers will be emailed to applicants - first round late March or early April, and second round in May once 2011-2012 courses are complete.

Dates of interviews vary by province:
MB - One set - mid/late May (some in Saskatoon too)
SK - Two sets - mid April & late May
AB - Two sets - early May & late May (some in Saskatoon too)
BC - Two sets - late April & late May (some in Saskatoon too)
EE (Education Equity) - in home province (see above)
OT (Territory) - Same as AB dates"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH late March is coming quick - time to get nervous!

Last edited:
I know, I just checked the Admissions portal and saw the status change... looks like offers will be coming out any day now (maybe even today! eeeek!). Does anyone know when they send out interview rejections? Do they wait until after first round interviews, or do they put you out of your misery earlier if you're not even close?

I know, I just checked the Admissions portal and saw the status change... looks like offers will be coming out any day now (maybe even today! eeeek!). Does anyone know when they send out interview rejections? Do they wait until after first round interviews, or do they put you out of your misery earlier if you're not even close?

It said late March or early April, so I think we have a bit to wait yet. I'm fairly certain they send out all results - acceptances and rejections - at the same time sometime in June.

Wow thank you for setting my mind at ease! I read the notification so fast - I thought it said that INTERVIEWS would be late march/early april (not interview notification!). I can go back to being (semi) normal now :)

I've been checking the portal message everyday religiously except today when it's actually updated, of course!! Ahh the end of March can't come fast enough.

I'm so sorry Derbynerd :( I'm probably on the lower end of prereq GPAs (3.4) but had a 3.79 for last year (this year is still tbd). So I'm not sure if they're looking only at GPA -- they must take into account other things as well. I never thought in a million years I would receive an interview invite with them based on my history (and transferring from U of C to Minnesota for undergrad). Hopefully you hear from WCVM! Don't lose hope yet! You can do it! :luck::xf:

Congrats to those with the UCVM interview invites! You'll have to let us know how they go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Just joining in on this thread..
has anybody heard from WCVM today? I see that their "message of the day" has changed, saying that interview offers will be emailed..

oh nevermind,
i see they will be emailing interview offers late march/early apr for first round.
I just read all your posts above..

I tried logging on to the admissions portal today and it won't let me in. It comes up with an error that says "application deadline has passed. we are no longer accepting applications." is anyone else having this problem? It was comforting to be able to check the portal daily to see if there were any updates in the little yellow box!

I got on just a couple of minutes ago! I know if I don't put in my username right I will get a message saying that applications are no longer being accepted as it is passed the deadline, but if your username is right then it must just be a glitch!

The portal message hasn't changed, p.s. :rolleyes:

Hello all! I got invited for an interview at Calgary as well!! I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the essay question and what it would encompass?!
As well, I am assuming they make you write the essay question right after the MMI?

Last edited:
The email has come!!! Got an interview offer for WCVM! They're doing first round interviews (for Saskatchewan residents anyway) between April 16 and 20.

I definitely was not expecting a first round interview, mostly because I assumed they split up first and second round based solely on marks but I do not think my marks are necessarily at the top of the applicant pool haha...

Does anyone know for sure how they decide first vs. second round invites?

Congrats!! Im so jealous. I will now be checking my email obsessively. My understanding that it was based on grades but Im not sure....

Congrats dls116!!!!! :D
I haven't received anything...So I hope that they'll email me for 2nd round. :(

edit: I really hope that Alberta invites are still to come!

Last edited:
Congratulations dls!!!
I am a BC resident. Haven't heard anything yet.

Congratulations dls!
I am an Alberta resident and haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully soon.
I also thought it was based on grades.

So the heart attacks begin ....

BC, nothing yet - stay strong, comrades!

Thank you everyone! I still can't believe the time is finally here.. Feels like I've been waiting forever. I'm sure the other provinces will hear by the end of this week or early next!!

Side note: so stressful that interview dates are smack dab in the middle of finals. Thankfully I had a day free during that week...

Congrats!! BC resident here, going to be so nervous every time I go to check my email !

BC resident - nothing yet either... definitely heart attach mode. good luck everyone!! please update if you guys hear anything :) And congrats dls116!!! that is so fantastic that you got an interview!!!!

I am anxiously waiting for you all to get posting on here about interview invites!! Hopefully tomorrow.:xf::oops:

Also, I was reading through our older posts and some of us were worrying about our "lower" averages (a.k.a. mid-low 80's) and wondering if we would have a shot at an interview...I have a mid-low 80 average depending on how they factor in my best year, soo stop second guessing yourselves, friends!

Last edited:
Hey all. I am a BC resident and I got an interview offer today for May 2nd or 3rd! So BC residents check your email today!!

Congrats Moo! Now I am really nervous!
I had to put my doggy down yesterday so I could use some good news. Its crazy how much you can love a dog :(

I am so sorry to hear about that akroening. I have a dog too and couldn't even begin to imagine what it would feel like to lose her. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and I really hope you get some good news!

Ahh! So sorry to hear that akroening! I can't imagine how I will deal with that when the time comes for my pup..we are all rooting for good news for you today!!

Moo - congrats!
akroening - so sorry to hear about that. :( Stay strong.

As for me ... nothing yet. :scared: I'm hoping that maybe they still have more to send out for today ... but in all likelihood with my lower average I'd be in the second round of interviews if I got in at all.
:xf:

Before I forget, I thought I'd let you guys know that there's a Facebook page called WCVM Prevet Students for you guys to post questions and get answers from other WCVM students. :)

Do you think they'll be sending out more invited for BC residents next week? Or do they usually send them all out in one day?

Do you think they'll be sending out more invited for BC residents next week? Or do they usually send them all out in one day?
I don't know - I've been letting this thought haunt me since late yesterday. I thought the BC invites wouldn't go out until later, so perhaps they're still making decisions and sent out a few they were sure of on Friday, and more will happen next week? Friday is kind of a weird day to send out invites, considering they likely wouldn't get responses/be able to schedule interviews until they were back in the office Monday.

Regardless, I'll have my fingers crossed for all of us! :xf:

Hopefully they have more to send out!!! All my pre-reqs are completed and I only have one course this term (again, not a pre-req), so if I don't get an interview this round, I dont think I'll be getting one at all as waiting for term 2 grades doesn't really matter for my application... Fingers crossed for all of us that they just sent out a couple on Friday and we will all have a lucky Monday!

I dont imagine Heather Mandeville can send out all 40 invites to BC students in one day....especially since she probably is sending out for other provinces like Sask. I wouldn't worry too much yet!!

So those of you that interviewed at UCVM yesterday, how did you find it??
I thought it was the most stressful and terrifying experiences of my life....holy crap :scared:.

Given that they're only taking 1/4 interviewed applicants, I don't think I'm holding much hope. :(

Yeah there were so many people there! It didn't make me feel very good about my chances. I thought the essay went okay, but the MMI was very stressful! I just wish I knew what my answers sounded like compared to others. I feel like I only did well on about 3 questions haha

I just got my interview invite for the week of April 23rd!!!

OMG CONGRATS! :highfive:

Now I'm having spaz attacks about checking my email - ah!

Thanks!! I was not expecting expecting to be in the first round due my low 80 average but it happened.

Good luck to you! Hopefully an e-mail will come for you in the next few hours!

Thanks!! I was not expecting expecting to be in the first round due my low 80 average but it happened.

Good luck to you! Hopefully an e-mail will come for you in the next few hours!
Thank you! I too have a low 80s average so maybe I'll be lucky today as well. Regardless, best of luck on your interview. :D:thumbup:

Hey Dr.Sabes just wondering how this works at WCVM. I thought you needed to have a full course load to apply, how are you only taking one course?

Congrats fishfin!! :)

that's awesome fishfinn!!!
i hope a few more of us bc-ers get some good news by the end of the day/week :luck: