WCVM c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys! I don't even know what to do with myself right now!

Dr Grahn said that because UCVM calls their accepted candidates, he thought it was the gentlemanly thing to do to call AB as well, especially if people apply to both schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats akroening and drpbjelly! I was just thinking that as well... Classmates!

I can't wait!

I hope everyone hears good news tomorrow! I need to go finish calling my friends and family!

Gotcha! thanks :)

Did all of you hear from UCVM too then? Which is your first choice between the two?
I didn't actually apply for UCVM, only WCVM. I couldn't move to Calgary if I got accepted - if I could have, I would have for sure have applied to both, but WCVM would have still been my first choice.
Good luck tomorrow!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats akroening and drpbjelly! I was just thinking that as well... Classmates!

I can't wait!

I hope everyone hears good news tomorrow! I need to go finish calling my friends and family!
congrats to you as well!! See you August 27 :)

I didn't interview at UCVM this round

Aaahhh just reading this thread is making me nervous! Anyhow, congrats to those of you who received phone calls and I'm crossing my fingers for those who hear tomorrow! So hopefully see y'all in Saskatoon in August! :)

Well after reading this sleep may elude me tonight! I just want to know now...I've been waiting for this moment for so many years I hope it is worth the wait!

Congrats to those who have heard and been offered a seat. I hope to be joining you in August!

Crossing my fingers for everyone!

See you tomorrow... Err later today? ;)

Got the email to check my status :( I did not get in this year... I am really happy for those that did though :) Have fun! maybe I'll see you guys next year!

Yeah, statuses are now posted. Waitlisted. They just want to prolong my pain like Kansas did :(

No luck for me either :(, so I guess I'll be going to California! Congrats to everyone who got in!!

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who got the unfortunate news,

How are you dealing with it? I am kinda sad, a bit depressed, but I know I did better this year than last time. I am still confident that I will be a vet. I will work harder and get more experience before I apply again next year.

I kinda also want some chocolate lol. But I'm a bit too upset for food atm... Hugs to all, cuz I know I need one :oops:

Hug_emoticon_by_smiekie.gif

I really admire your drive and determination. You can do it!!!!! You will be a vet!!!!

How are you dealing with it? I am kinda sad, a bit depressed, but I know I did better this year than last time. I am still confident that I will be a vet. I will work harder and get more experience before I apply again next year.

I kinda also want some chocolate lol. But I'm a bit too upset for food atm... Hugs to all, cuz I know I need one :oops:

I go between anger and sadness...at first I felt like writing a letter to each of the interviewers, addressing their 'suggestions' to make my application stronger, because some of it seemed like BS, and then I just lay in bed and took a nap. Funnily enough, when I found out, I came home and bought chocolate on the way. It helps a little, I guess. What pains me most is having to tell people - everyone that was rooting for me, and thought I would definitely get in. There's sparkling wine in the fridge and I have to be honest, I'm very tempted to open it up and drink it through a straw on my own. And then there's the sadness over being stuck in the rut I'm in for another year now. It's hard.

Congratulations to you guys that got in. WCVM C/O 2016!

maplegal, are you still waiting to hear from UCVM? Did you find any of the feedback helpful? I didn't receive any, which is frustrating since if I don't get called off, I'll have no idea why. Anyways, take the day to indulge in something to dull the pain - you deserve to be in vet school and you will get in! :)

Since when does WCVM have a waitlist ... ?

I'm waitlisted, too.

I think with UCVM, some people decide to go there, especially if they have family in Calgary, so those who get accepted to both schools, may decline a spot...

Good luck to those waitlisted!!

And congrats to the acceptances!

No luck for me either :(, so I guess I'll be going to California! Congrats to everyone who got in!!

Sorry to hear... On the plus side, California has WAY better weather! And you could apply again to save on some OOS tuition! ;)

Since when does WCVM have a waitlist ... ?

I'm waitlisted, too.

Did you also find the letter extraordinarily unhelpful? Mind you it would probably be difficult to answer the many questions I have about the waitlist and how it works. Things are a little more known in the U.S.

I am not sure how many people get waitlisted.

In BC:
Five years ago a colleague of mine was second on the wait list, and found out really late... So she ended up declining because it was too stressful for her to move last minute, and be behind in classes. She got in the following year and finished this year.

In AB:
I think they may have a few more wait listed individuals than other provinces, just because they plan that some people will choose UCVM.

Well, I had asked Heather when I confirmed my alternate position and she just replied. For AB at least, they have 10 on the waitlist and I'm 7th. So not too likely, I'm afraid. Kermit, I'm sure if you email and ask, she'll be able to give you some more info.

maplegal, are you still waiting to hear from UCVM? Did you find any of the feedback helpful? I didn't receive any, which is frustrating since if I don't get called off, I'll have no idea why. Anyways, take the day to indulge in something to dull the pain - you deserve to be in vet school and you will get in! :)

I didn't apply to UCVM, so WCVM was my only shot. Thanks for the kind words, you're very sweet.

I didn't really find the feedback helpful, to be honest. For example, they said to get more experience with large animals to be more aware of food production and also to learn to express my opinion better, but my issue with that is this: Dr Petrie asked me about gestational crates, and I had a vague idea about them, and I said that the reason they're used in mainly economical, and that I didn't agree with them being used - and then he said, 'Oh, they're actually used so that the moms don't crush the piggies - it's not all economical', but again, if the piglets die, farmers lose money...so they're trying to say that it's better for the piglet's welfare to be slaughtered than to be crushed? Either way, it's not so the piglet can grow up to be Babe, it's so that more piglets reach slaughter...which is economical. I suppose it's how you argue it, but his suggestion there isn't useful & is kind of irrelevant, in my opinion. Maybe I'm being foolish in my disappointment - I don't know.

I really wonder how generic the letter they sent out is with their suggestions on how to make your application/interview stronger..Some of the things they mentioned I wasn't even asked in my interview so I don't know how they could have gauged how much experience I had or how much I knew about it. I want to know specific things I, MYSELF, need to work on so that I know I'm not just going to waste another year not improving on areas that I need to. I'm willing to try again if I know what areas I am lacking in. I wonder if e-mailing Heather about more feedback would be worthwhile, would she even know?

I go between anger and sadness...at first I felt like writing a letter to each of the interviewers, addressing their 'suggestions' to make my application stronger, because some of it seemed like BS, and then I just lay in bed and took a nap. Funnily enough, when I found out, I came home and bought chocolate on the way. It helps a little, I guess. What pains me most is having to tell people - everyone that was rooting for me, and thought I would definitely get in. There's sparkling wine in the fridge and I have to be honest, I'm very tempted to open it up and drink it through a straw on my own. And then there's the sadness over being stuck in the rut I'm in for another year now. It's hard.

I know exactly how you feel maplegal... Sadly, telling them six years in a row that I didn't get in, especially having soooo many friends and family rooting for you.

All I can say, is if I can do it, so can you!!

And... Try not to say stuck in a rut... See opportunities, and take them!

If you ever want some more detailed advice I would be happy to sit down with you!

I really wonder how generic the letter they sent out is with their suggestions on how to make your application/interview stronger..Some of the things they mentioned I wasn't even asked in my interview so I don't know how they could have gauged how much experience I had or how much I knew about it. I want to know specific things I, MYSELF, need to work on so that I know I'm not just going to waste another year not improving on areas that I need to. I'm willing to try again if I know what areas I am lacking in. I wonder if e-mailing Heather about more feedback would be worthwhile, would she even know?

Dr. Grahn has been willing in the past to make phone meetings. I am sure Heather would do the same.

If I can help in anyway, please let me know!

Well, I had asked Heather when I confirmed my alternate position and she just replied. For AB at least, they have 10 on the waitlist and I'm 7th. So not too likely, I'm afraid. Kermit, I'm sure if you email and ask, she'll be able to give you some more info.

I'm still crossing my fingers for you!! You never know!

I didn't apply to UCVM, so WCVM was my only shot. Thanks for the kind words, you're very sweet.

I didn't really find the feedback helpful, to be honest. For example, they said to get more experience with large animals to be more aware of food production and also to learn to express my opinion better, but my issue with that is this: Dr Petrie asked me about gestational crates, and I had a vague idea about them, and I said that the reason they're used in mainly economical, and that I didn't agree with them being used - and then he said, 'Oh, they're actually used so that the moms don't crush the piggies - it's not all economical', but again, if the piglets die, farmers lose money...so they're trying to say that it's better for the piglet's welfare to be slaughtered than to be crushed? Either way, it's not so the piglet can grow up to be Babe, it's so that more piglets reach slaughter...which is economical. I suppose it's how you argue it, but his suggestion there isn't useful & is kind of irrelevant, in my opinion. Maybe I'm being foolish in my disappointment - I don't know.
Geez, I would have been screwed if they asked me that. I can definitely understand what you're saying though so his answer really didn't make sense. Apparently they were looking for something textbook? Weird.
It couldn't hurt to ask. We need as system where you can schedule file reviews and sit down with someone from admissions to go over your app. I'm surprised that they don't do this since the volume of students that need a review in the U.S. is much larger. I'd definitely see what she says though!

edit: Thanks LeilaFay for letting us know about phone meetings! That's good that he does that.

Its not fun to get stuck on one question and rethink it over and over again. Trust me lol. Try doing some research and talking to your vet. It really helped me understand what the panel was doing and formulate my own opinion.

Ya, Dr. Grahn will be busy, but don't take that as him brushing you off if it seems that way! It was willing to chat with me a few years back, and was open again when I saw him in the fall.

Dr. Grahn has been willing in the past to make phone meetings. I am sure Heather would do the same.

If I can help in anyway, please let me know!

Thank you, I might need motivation to try again as I am deflated from really thinking I had done the best that I could do and hearing back that it wasn't good enough is a little hard to take. I'm sure I'll get over my grumpiness, just need time. What's worse is I work at the vet clinic in a half an hour and can't bring myself to tell my coworkers yet, I know they were all rooting for me and helped me out so much...I haven't even told some of my good friends because I just don't feel like talking about it yet and even weirder, I'm not in the mood for people feeling sorry for me and telling me things to try and make me feel better, you know?

Also...I'm assuming Saskatchewan doesn't have a "waitlist"? Nothing was mentioned besides what your rank was out of all total applicants.

Thank you, I might need motivation to try again as I am deflated from really thinking I had done the best that I could do and hearing back that it wasn't good enough is a little hard to take. I'm sure I'll get over my grumpiness, just need time. What's worse is I work at the vet clinic in a half an hour and can't bring myself to tell my coworkers yet, I know they were all rooting for me and helped me out so much...I haven't even told some of my good friends because I just don't feel like talking about it yet and even weirder, I'm not in the mood for people feeling sorry for me and telling me things to try and make me feel better, you know?

I understand...

I did this thing last year, I don't think I know anyone that applied from Alberta. I was ranked and I just thought to myself, if x number of people disappeared, then I am in! lol now, it's more like theses are my stats atm, if I improve beyond x people, I'll get in! I hope this is not *feeling sorry for you* type of talk. I did better than my last try and you will do better too! I honestly think the first interview is practice. I think I only know one vet who got in after 2 years of university and thus 1 interview...

Also...I'm assuming Saskatchewan doesn't have a "waitlist"? Nothing was mentioned besides what your rank was out of all total applicants.

It would be strange if they didn't, but with how little we all know about it, who knows?

Telling people is the hardest thing -- no one needs to know yet. Wait until you're ready.

I honestly think the first interview is practice. I think I only know one vet who got in after 2 years of university and thus 1 interview...

Agreed. You're setting yourself up better if you know what's coming. I know someone who did two years at the U of A and then was accepted to both WCVM and UCVM --- I might have been just a tad jealous. :rolleyes:

I'm done my degree though so now I don't know what I should do. This is my first time applying but I thought my app was pretty decent and my grades are good enough to be competitive and I thought even having a degree would help..

I appreciate all your support though, it's making me feel better!

I'm sorry to hear that not everyone had good news today...:(
Don't give up though, it's never too late to follow your dream...whether it's an additional year of waiting or 10. Many of the vets I've known interviewed more than once to get accepted.
I've waited a really, really long time to go to vet school and honestly never thought I'd be actually going at all - if I can get there, so can you!! :)

Like a lot of you, I found the feedback really unhelpful. They basically said I need to improve in pretty much everything from academic average to more volunteer hours to learning more about the animal industry. I'm starting to wonder why they even offered me an interview if I was that bad. Anyway, I think I'm through with my pity party. Time to look forward to my last year of my degree and try to make the best of it.

I found out right before I had to go to school and consequently missed my bus. I got to class late (which was a lab) so I just moped all day and felt sorry for myself. I haven't told anyone yet, but I didn't tell too many people to start with so I'm not too worried about that. It just sucks knowing that I need to endure another year of applications. I have to go 365 more days of constantly thinking about it which is the worst part.

I defs need a hug right now :( :oops:

I didn't get in too :( but never give up! will try again!!
BTW, they just give me an overall ranking out of 101 in BC, but they didn't give me a ranking for my grades, are will suppose to get a ranking just based on academic performance (that's what my frd had last year). ???

I'm done my degree though so now I don't know what I should do. This is my first time applying but I thought my app was pretty decent and my grades are good enough to be competitive and I thought even having a degree would help..

I appreciate all your support though, it's making me feel better!

Hey dls116,

If your grades are good enough to get you an interview, and you are on the lower end for grades... You can still get in! You just have to nail your interview to get above those with a killer GPA.

If you want to improve even more, and can stomach another year of UG, go back for a year, retake those courses that were only so-so, it'll bump up your GPA standing... Then you won't have to have the perfect interview.

I found out right before I had to go to school and consequently missed my bus. I got to class late (which was a lab) so I just moped all day and felt sorry for myself. I haven't told anyone yet, but I didn't tell too many people to start with so I'm not too worried about that. It just sucks knowing that I need to endure another year of applications. I have to go 365 more days of constantly thinking about it which is the worst part.

I defs need a hug right now :( :oops:

fishfinn -

***hugs*** for you!

I know the letters did not help me much, but if you want any help on the next go, let me know!