Wcvm - gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows how WCVM evaluates GPA, I know they consider everything, and I am worry that I may not qualify. My cumulative GPA from my first degree (8 years ago) was bad - 2.94/4.0, in the past 2 years I have been in school full-time with a cumulate GPA of 4.2/4.5, and my best full year is 4.3/4.5. Does anybody know how to calculate my GPA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet would be to e-mail the admissions office and ask. They convert your grades differently for each post-secondary institution. I think they would take into account all the course work you've done, unless maybe the stuff you did 8 years ago expires? You should definitely e-mail/call to find out. I know you need a minimum of 75% to apply, which is about a 3.0 (B).

Which GPA scale are you using? From what I've heard, ~60% of your admissions score is based off of grades. 2/3 of that (or 40% total) would be your cum. GPA and 1/3 (20% total) your best year. But fishfinn is right -- you should just send them a quick email and ask. They're really helpful. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same problem. My cumulative GPA is not that great because of my 1st degree roughly 15 years ago. I did my undergrad in another country, so I had my grades evaluated and converted to North American standards. And it upped my GPA with a full point. Not sure whether WCVM looked at my original GPA or converted GPA, but in my rejection letter they said that it was due to poor academic performance and that with more than 4 years of courses, it's almost impossible to remedy that since they require a minimum CUMULATIVE average of 75%. However, I am in the process of re-doing all the pre-reqs and my new grades are pretty great. If they don't take me this time, hopefully Calgary, or someplace else, will!
Good luck!!!

Thanks for the replies! I have already sent an email to WCVM and hopefully will hear from them soon. If they weight my cum GPA from my first degree equally as my cum GPA for the last 2 years (pre-req courses), then I am pretty much screwed. I believe I have a pretty competitive GPA for all my pre-req but my first degree is gonna screw me over, I feel hopeless now. It seems all the hard work that I put in is useless.

Don't give up before you hear back from them!!!! I promise, it's possible to make a come-back. There is always a way. :)

Hi everyone, so Heather kinda got back to me, it sounds like 2/3 of the GPA would come from all my undergrad work and 1/3 would be my best year. So, yeah I am totally hopeless. I have at best a 73% GPA for my first degree, even though I have been doing super great for the last 2 years (93%), my overall GPA would be significantly lower because of that 4 years.

I was hoping that my GPA would improve my chance and make up for probably not-so-great interview, now I am thinking my overall GPA would be 85 (at best)....is there any hope left for me????

85 is not bad at all! What province are you from? You definitely have a shot.

I am taking this year off to establish my residency in Manitoba, but 85% is my best guess, I would have to wait for Heather to give me the actaul number....I figured it could range from high 70 to mid 80 as I really not sure how they calculate my cumulative GPA.

What I don't get is, they don't really care what kind of degree that you had before, so for me, it's unfair...and why would they care about classes that have NOTHING to do with veterinary medicine and was completed over 8 years ago!!!! I thought they would put more emphasis on the pre-req and newer courses....I feel like a failure before I even apply

Does anybody know what they consider to be a "year" when calculating GPA? My cumulative GPA is around 3.2, but for most of my degree I took 4 classes per term instead of the usual 5 per term. Would they still consider 4 classes per term (8 classes per year) to be acceptable?

I am taking this year off to establish my residency in Manitoba, but 85% is my best guess, I would have to wait for Heather to give me the actaul number....I figured it could range from high 70 to mid 80 as I really not sure how they calculate my cumulative GPA.

What I don't get is, they don't really care what kind of degree that you had before, so for me, it's unfair...and why would they care about classes that have NOTHING to do with veterinary medicine and was completed over 8 years ago!!!! I thought they would put more emphasis on the pre-req and newer courses....I feel like a failure before I even apply

MB has fewer applicants! So don't give up!

Worst case scenario: establish residency, complete another full time course load

Believe me... You can do it!

Does anybody know what they consider to be a "year" when calculating GPA? My cumulative GPA is around 3.2, but for most of my degree I took 4 classes per term instead of the usual 5 per term. Would they still consider 4 classes per term (8 classes per year) to be acceptable?

Yes.

Some "years" (Sept to Apr) I did 3 in fall and 5 in winter, or vice versa. There were courses I wanted to take that were full, or only available every other year (annoying I know). So my courses were all over the place, definitely not your cookie cutter BSc that's for sure! And summer semester doesn't count towards your best year.

But like my suggestion for your other post... Take those five courses PLUS at minimum three more that you know you can ace... During the Sept-Apr school year.