WCVM/UCVM c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got my wcvm BC interview as well! can't believe it :') pretty early notifications this year. march 7

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
CONGRATULATIONS DUCK TOLLER LOL! We both made it ;) it's been a long and rough road!

Members don't see this ad :)
pawlover, are you also in BC?

I haven't gotten one (AB) but I'm not really expecting to from them. Do they do different provinces at different times, or is it all at once (first time applying there)?
Congrats you two!!

I haven't gotten one for SK. but who knows. I got a first round the first time I applied, a second round the second time I applied. I am doing a "best full year" this term and did really well last semester but that could mean nothing as far as first vs. second round goes for me.

In the past they have sent invites out on different days over a 2-3 day span. If anything I thought they would send out Alberta first to keep up with Calgary and it would be weird they didn't send out all or none before a weekend so who knows...part of me thinks they sent out all first round already but hopefully not?

Congrats guys!!! I haven't got mine yet either (AB), but a friend of mine who got in last year was second round and didn't get her invite until April, so I haven't counted myself out just yet! So excited for you all

Congrats, guys. Can't say I miss that awful feeling of anticipation/waiting. Good luck to the rest of you! Second round will come up soon enough!

I wonder how they determine 1st and 2nd round of interviews…does it make a difference?

Does anyone know any good tips for WCVM interviews? I heard they drill you really hardo_O

Yes, I am from BC!

Maybe they have only done BC? So confusing haha.

And first round vs. second round is based on GPA score (overall 2/3, best year 1/3) and then you are ranked. They usually interview double the amount they accept and just split it into two sessions, so usually top GPA scores 1-20ish are first round and then 21 to 35-40ish (for example) are second round. You get an interview score and then it is put together with your GPA score at the end when they are making selections. You definitely still have a shot if you are second round, just all depends on how you and others within your province score on the interview portion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they have only done BC? So confusing haha.

And first round vs. second round is based on GPA score (overall 2/3, best year 1/3) and then you are ranked. They usually interview double the amount they accept and just split it into two sessions, so usually top GPA scores 1-20ish are first round and then 21 to 35-40ish (for example) are second round. You get an interview score and then it is put together with your GPA score at the end when they are making selections. You definitely still have a shot if you are second round, just all depends on how you and others within your province score on the interview portion.

Oh…I see! Yeah…it was a bit confusing. Do you know how they calculate your interview score + GPA together to rank you?

60% GPA score, 40% interview score.

That's it? No one else on here got a first round?

It seems weird. I'm assuming they've finished handing them out but I just thought more people from other provinces on here would get something. That's why 1% of me thinks maybe they aren't done yet lol...wishful thinking, I know.

I got an interview offer from WCVM yesterday! Woohoo! (AB first round). Anyone else?

Great news vetlyfe, congrats!!

Congrats vetlyfe! Good luck to everyone!

Got an interview offer this afternoon (SK)! The long-awaited process starts again...

That's excellent, dls!!!! I'm so happy for you!! :D

Congratulations everyone!! I'm sure we will all rock in the interview ;)

Yayyy congrats!! We are obviously all going to get in this year. Is it anyone else's first time interviewing at WCVM?

Congrats dls!

Hey guys, congrats on your interviews! I was also offered a SK interview yesterday. It's my first time applying to WCVM, so that's exciting, even if i am scared to death of not getting in. I found this forum trying to ease my fears with interview tips. The whole "try, try, try again" theme really isn't comforting.

kmc, congratulations on your interview! I wish you luck.
I like to think the purpose of this forum is a positive one - not everyone on here is successful so the idea of keeping your chin up and perusing your goal even if success takes a few tries is an encouraging one.

Reactions: 2 users
edit * successful the first time

Hey guys, congrats on your interviews! I was also offered a SK interview yesterday. It's my first time applying to WCVM, so that's exciting, even if i am scared to death of not getting in. I found this forum trying to ease my fears with interview tips. The whole "try, try, try again" theme really isn't comforting.

Congrats!!! I only interviewed at UCVM last year, but from all the tips and tricks I've received from people who have gone through both school's interviews the biggest one seems to be confidence! So just believe in yourself that you would make a fantastic veterinarian and work on being able to convey that to others without being arrogant! Easier said than done but if you can nail that I think great things can happen. =D

I don't think there's any embarrassment of not getting in your first try. This is one of the hardest, most competitive professions to get into so I wouldn't look at it as failing if you aren't successful this time around. Being scared just means it's important to you, which is normal and how I'm sure all of us feel! But just doing your best is all you can do - getting an interview is the first step, so you're half way there!

Reactions: 2 users
I had a thought earlier today and thought I might post it and see if anyone had any insight. The UCVM interviews have a morning session and an afternoon session on interview day. I'm just curious as to how they designated who goes to what session? Is it alphabetical or is it random? Or is it based on GPA ( higher GPAs in the morning and lower GPAs in the afternoon or vice versa)? I'm all alone in my session, everyone else from my school that got interviews is in the other one!Just asking simply out of curiosity.

I had a thought earlier today and thought I might post it and see if anyone had any insight. The UCVM interviews have a morning session and an afternoon session on interview day. I'm just curious as to how they designated who goes to what session? Is it alphabetical or is it random? Or is it based on GPA ( higher GPAs in the morning and lower GPAs in the afternoon or vice versa)? I'm all alone in my session, everyone else from my school that got interviews is in the other one!Just asking simply out of curiosity.
As far as I know its completely random. Last year I was in the AM, this year I am in the PM. Also, congrats on the interview! I can't believe its already 8 days away....starting to get a wee bit of anxiety haha.

lol, it literally updated as received the day I wrote that post. Phew!

Another random question for everyone.. lately I have been coming across a lot of vets who are unhappy with their jobs, and try to tell me that I shouldn't bother going to vet school because I won't be happy, and that there are better careers out there. It's very un-motivating and depressing.. and I'm not sure how to deal with these people (I've had this happen from at least five different vets). Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any suggestions of dealing with these people? One of them is also my roommate... *sigh*

I have heard the same thing before, really despresses you.

I'm in the afternoon session at UCVM too. :) The three of us from our pre-vet club who got interviews got split up 2:1 between the sessions. I can't believe it's getting so close. My brain is now like "why be productive/write that paper/study for that midterm when you can just sit here and stress about your interview?" I feel like I'm getting less and less done the closer it gets!

Ah yay! Maybe we will see each other!

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who got an interview!!:)
I also received an interview(MB) offer yesterday, this is my first time applying so I'm super nervous and don't know what I have to do to prepare myself... any suggestions?

I'm in the afternoon session as well! One week away. Lets blow the morning sessioners out of the water! ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone with their interview offers (and for those waiting to hear about second round!) Hope to see some of you around next year :D

When do they usually offer second round interviews?
Also are first round offers over?

24 hours guys... I think my head's going to explode from anticipation!

24 hours guys... I think my head's going to explode from anticipation!
I'm seriously like dying haha. Its kind of like the calm before the storm though where I've gone from super anxious to not stressed at all but I'm sure I'll be nervous when I get there. We are gonna rock it!!! I hope everyone's last minute preparations are going well and not stressing anyone out too much!

Good luck to all the morning sessioners :)

It's been quieter than I thought it would be - I hope all UCVM hopefuls had a good interview day!!!

I felt it went really well! But I don't want to be too confident yet. If I get an admission offer I'll know I did good ;)

I also feel like it went really well, and I felt like I'd prepared well. Of course, it isn't my opinion that matters.... ;)

Hope all the UCVM interviews went well! When are the WCVM interviews taking place? We're all in exam-land so I haven't heard anything. Don't forget to KCCO :)