WCVM/UCVM c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad to hear that the interviews went well!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been in Saskatoon twice in the past four days for separate reasons and I've come to the conclusion that I just need to live here and be in vet school already....

Nutty Club, interviews are last week of April and then last week of May!

Glad to hear you UCVM hopefuls did well :)

Ah! Still a while to go, yet! I highly recommend taking the tour, for anyone interviewing in Saskatoon. Despite having wandered around on my own, the tour was interesting, and Dr. Grahn has a lot to say. Plus, during first week I recognized at least 5 people who were in my tour group! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone that applied to Calgary considering housing yet? I've been looking around on kijiji for what to expect for rent costs and availability. I know acceptance letters are a long ways off and I shouldn't expect to get one, but considering they don't come out until June (for UCVM) I figure that's not much time to start planning everything if you get a spot. I was thinking a place close to the main U of C campus might be the best idea, because then you could walk on the days you're at the med school and then wouldn't have to pay for parking. From what I understand, parking is free at spy hill (correct me if I'm wrong), so driving there wouldn't be as big of a deal.
However, rent seems quite a bit cheaper in Cochrane. During the 3 years I've spent in undergrad I've been driving 100km round trip so the commute from Cochrane seems pretty tame in comparison, but then one would have to pay for parking at U of C which, with gas, might not save you any money despite the cheaper rent.
I've been pondering whether it's best to live alone, with roommates, with fellow students, etc. It would suck to not click with your roommate but I imagine living alone would be very lonely at times. Rent is obviously cheaper with roomies but not really worth it if they're loud, messy, dinguses, etc.
Thoughts/advice?

My husband and I have been considering a trailer park called Greenwood Village near Canada Olympic Park. Our rationale is that it's about 15 minutes to either Foothills or Spy Hill, and we'd be able to buy the home outright after selling our current house and just pay lot rent, which is about half what a mortgage would be. We're assuming I won't be working much (if at all) if I get in.

Some comments in regards to parking:

CSB is $3/day without a pass.
Student parking at McMahon is only available to those with passes.
Passes (good for McMahon and CSB) is $260 or $280 for the school year (can't remember the price exactly, but around there).
We are at CSB 3 days/week 1st year, 2 2nd year and back to 3 3rd year.

I'm too lazy to do the math, but the vast majority have passes. :)

In regards to where to live....unless you find a place you really like that you don't have to lease until August, I would personally wait. Lots of students will be taking in roommates, so if you're interested in living with another vet student, there's definitely opportunities. :) The standard advice is to live with people in other years as you'll be spending enough hours in the day with your classmates as it is. If you want to be on your own, then looking a bit earlier is certainly a good idea.

However, I think the choice about having a roommate or not is a personal one. I lived with people all through undergrad and really wanted my own place, so I live on my own. So far, it has been great. It's really what works for you.

Some comments in regards to parking:

CSB is $3/day without a pass.
Student parking at McMahon is only available to those with passes.
Passes (good for McMahon and CSB) is $260 or $280 for the school year (can't remember the price exactly, but around there).
We are at CSB 3 days/week 1st year, 2 2nd year and back to 3 3rd year.

I'm too lazy to do the math, but the vast majority have passes. :)

In regards to where to live....unless you find a place you really like that you don't have to lease until August, I would personally wait. Lots of students will be taking in roommates, so if you're interested in living with another vet student, there's definitely opportunities. :) The standard advice is to live with people in other years as you'll be spending enough hours in the day with your classmates as it is. If you want to be on your own, then looking a bit earlier is certainly a good idea.

However, I think the choice about having a roommate or not is a personal one. I lived with people all through undergrad and really wanted my own place, so I live on my own. So far, it has been great. It's really what works for you.

WOWZA! I had no idea it was that cheap for parking. I was looking all over the U of C website for parking prices and found nothing. I don't know why I thought it was so much more than that. Thanks so much for posting that info @Escalla!

Thanks for the parking info Escalla, I'd been looking for it too. :)

$3/day for parking?! I wish. I only applied to WCVM, and I'm assuming vet students don't get parking discounts. Currently at the U of S it's $10/day or $250 for a pass. and passes are supposed to go up to $370 next year.

To be fair, CSB is the Clinical Skills Building at the NW edge of the city and is not near any of the university campuses. It's a lot more to park at the actual university ($10-18) unless you have a pass.

I heard there was a lottery for U of S parking passes though. That would suck to not get one. :(

Because the U of S is at the center of the city, the transit system runs constantly to the university from all areas of Saskatoon so a lot of students just take the bus!

That's true. My experiences with the bus system have been awful, but it seems to work for other people.

Also, the lottery isn't as bad as it sounds. I think you're pretty much guaranteed a spot, it just might not be in the lot you want. I park by WCVM/Engineering and there's always empty spaces.

me heard thar was a lottery for U of S parkin' passes though. That would suck to not get one. :(

Yeah, it's done by lottery. I managed to get one this year… but typically if you don't get one through the lottery there are some that go on sale the following week. Everyone I know who got one essentially camped out at parking services, but apparently they ordered pizza to the line and had a pretty rad time anyways. There's pretty well only 2 lots that make parking at the U of S worth your while, and they're right behind the VMC. Other than that, I'd recommend taking the bus, since a pass is included in your student fees.
And it's not just the parking passes that are going up (I hadn't heard that,) but tuition is going for a bit of a hike next year too. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I must be missing something..why are we talking like pirates!!!

Omg it automatically changes it....hahaha!

I'm assuming it was an April Fool's thing. Pretty funny, actually.

Wow, I did not hear about them increasing parking, but on the website it really does list quite a price jump for Y and Q lot ($357, yikes). Y and Q are right behind WCVM and are pretty much the only ones worth trying for, although some people are willing to try for farther ones. I did win a spot in Y lot in first and second year, but I didn't get anything in third year. The way they do it is if you enter a ballot, but don't win parking, you get a chance to buy any passes that weren't picked up before the general student population does. I did have to camp out for like... 12+ hours with some classmates to get Y lot passes in third year. It was chilly, but at least if I got too cold I could just walk to the school and use the bathroom and warm up. Some of my friends came by and dropped off food, hot chocolate, tea, etc. for us too which was really nice of them. In 4th year since you have to be on call you get an automatic pass to Q lot although you have to pay for it.

Here is a link to parking permit prices at the UofC: http://www.ucalgary.ca/parking/file...rking-fees-increase-april-2014-_version2_.pdf

Spy Hill is where the clinical skills building is. Foothills isn't listed there but the parking prices are atrocious. I love Calgary but it's crazy expensive for parking. People complain here because it's $2/hr to park downtown but that'd be a hell of a steal in Calgary.

Can someone clarify those posted U of C parking prices for me...? Do you have to buy a McMahon pass AND a Spy Hill pass, or does the Spy Hill pass cover both? Quickly doing the math in my head, buying both doesn't match what Escalla said about prices. (sorry, end of term might be making me stupid....)

Can someone clarify those posted U of C parking prices for me...? Do you have to buy a McMahon pass AND a Spy Hill pass, or does the Spy Hill pass cover both? Quickly doing the math in my head, buying both doesn't match what Escalla said about prices. (sorry, end of term might be making me stupid....)

I paid $275 for a full year (looked at my bank statement hehe) and it would have been the Spy Hill pass. So it's gone up just a wee bit it looks like. The Spy Hill pass is only for vet students and will give you parking at CSB and the West lot of McMahon.

Okay, I get it. Thanks Escalla! (I clearly have end-of-semester brain!!)

So I realize it's been almost a year since this happened, but I thought maybe it's a good time to throw a Captain Sushi update out there. Cool little kitty… and I'm procrastinating studying for a lab final, so this seemed opportune. There's a video of her post-FHO, along with a couple more recent photos. Enjoy!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 39
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: 2 users
FHO on a cat? I've never heard of doing that before... cool! Sweet looking kitty! :)

FHO on a cat? I've never heard of doing that before... cool! Sweet looking kitty! :)
Yeah, actually our clinic did quite a few while I was there. I think particular circumstances warrant it; in Sushi's case, she had been snapped in a recliner accidentally, and the head was completely broken off of the femur in such a way that it left no potential for other orthopaedic fixtures. She trucks around really well, but has the slightest bit of a swagger when she walks (that might just be her thing. After all, she is a cat)
It apparently seems to be a procedure used semi-frequently in Norwegian Forest cats, as well, to treat hip dysplasia when pain management is unsuccessful. Now you know. :)

Hey guys
If you haven't heard, the WCVM is one of five finalists in a contest to win an ultrasound scanner from BCF Technology. The Production Animal Club members entered the contest in hopes of acquiring the ultrasound to help with palpation labs, and they've managed to make it into the finals with their Magic School Bus video. They're the only Canadian school with an entry, so if you have a moment, (which you do, if you're reading this…) GO VOTE! This could directly impact you in the next few years! Plus… the video is actually funny. Go here to vote:
http://www.northamerica.bcftechnology.com/lp-2014-university-video-voting
Polls close on the 27th of April, so share this around and let's help get the WCVM that ultrasound!

I already did! I hope you guys get it!

Have any of you who have applied before noticed the decrease in interview days (minus Alberta)? Sask. used to do 5 days for both rounds and now they're doing 4 and 2. Manitoba only has one day for first round and 4 for second. Just seems weird...I wonder if it means they're not interviewing as many people?

Something makes me doubt that. Since the interview weighs so heavily, it doesn't make sense to interview fewer people; that would place the emphasis back onto the grades and somewhat eliminate the purpose of having an interview at all. It may have been due to the availability of those making up the panel… or just making the interviews slightly shorter… or doing more interviews in a day... or a combination of those things. It's also possible that instead of spreading the applicants out evenly, they just did a heavier load in the first round. Who knows! But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dr. Grahn did say last year on the tour that GPA is worth 60% and interview is worth 40% of your total score..which I wasn't aware of up until then..so they still do place more weight on applicant GPAs.

Yeah. It's definitely still much higher than most other professional programs… that being said, the interview definitely makes or breaks you…. speaking of which, they've started interviewing some of the provinces already. Good luck to anyone out there with a first rounder, and anyone waiting to hear about seconds!

Does anyone have any general advice for the WCVM interviews? I'm preparing for mine and I know it is a lot different than the UCVM interviews, so just wondering if anyone who has been through it before has any tips! Thanks everyone :)

Every general tip you ever receive about interviews. Actually. :p
In my experience (and I've been through the interview a few times), the best things I can tell you would be:
Be yourself. It's obvious if you are saying something, or acting in a way that isn't natural to you. We all bring different things to the table, so embrace what you've got to contribute.
Be confident in your answers. There isn't a set thing they're looking for, but be prepared to explain your reasons for your opinion.
DO NOT BULL**** THEM. About anything. If you don't know, it's better to be honest.
Wear something professional. Business casual is OK, but don't show up in sandals, or jeans. I'm not saying you can't get in that way, but why risk making a bad first impression? (If you have piercings like I do, take them out for your interview. If you have big tattoos, I would recommend covering them up, if possible. No one cares once you're in - my class has many tattooed and pierced students - but the interview is a special circumstance).
Lastly, don't forget to smile. Get comfortable in your chair, and don't think too hard about the cookie, or the water. They are not tests. :)
:luck:

Am I the only who feels that the wait for June for admission offers (UCVM) is going by so...agonizingly...slow. :grumpy:

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only who feels that the wait for June for admission offers (UCVM) is going by so...agonizingly...slow. :grumpy:

the wait for June WCVM admission offers is going by quite slowly too :p

Nope... I'm dying over here!

June is so far away!!
I'm waiting on OVC... we don't interview until next week & there isn't even a thread about it!

the wait for June WCVM admission offers is going by quite slowly too :p
They both are! I can't wait till May is over. I still think its horrible that UCVM makes you wait two enitre months! Also, good luck to anyone who still has an interview coming up for WCVM or is waiting for a second round invite =D

Wasn't sure when WCVM sent their's out! Good to know everyone's in the same waiting boat

I got an email from WCVM yesterday while I was at work. It said they never received my email with my unofficial grades. I pulled up a new unofficial transcript (I hadn't kept it after sending the first email) and sent it again when I got home, but now I'm terrified I'll be out of consideration because of it since the deadline was Monday! I'm going down to school today to make sure my official ones were sent out like I asked, too. This whole process is so stressful!!!

I'm sure it's fine!! If you explained you had sent them in your email reply, they have to know that things can get lost in cyberspace and you were only a day late! They probably emailed so that you wouldn't put yourself out of the running because they're most likely calculating for those second round interviews that have to be going out real soon...

I agree with dls! Why bother contacting you if they didn't want you in the pool? One less person they have to consider, you know? I'm sure they are aware of the risks surrounding the use of an online application.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hi everyone! I'm a long time creeper, first time poster! I'm a BC applicant but doing my undergrad in Sask. Didn't get an interview last year (first time applying last year) but worked my butt off this year and got a BC invite to interview at WCVM today! I'm thrilled to bits and looking for any interview tips people might have :)

I agree, this is an unfortunate story... I'm sure all post secondary institutions are experiencing budget cuts and having to let people go (at least my university was and all of the other post secondary institutions in Alberta, so I've heard) but this is a little extreme.
Apparently though, the University of Saskatchewan is 'reconsidering' their decision: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-of-fired-prof-will-offer-him-a-new-position/
Interesting.

TransformUS is a hot topic here right now and has been all year. I've got lots to say about it but sadly because of the way USask has been behaving, I'm reluctant to say anything. Especially in public print.

I agree, this is an unfortunate story... I'm sure all post secondary institutions are experiencing budget cuts and having to let people go (at least my university was and all of the other post secondary institutions in Alberta, so I've heard) but this is a little extreme.
Apparently though, the University of Saskatchewan is 'reconsidering' their decision: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-of-fired-prof-will-offer-him-a-new-position/
Interesting.
for the optics or for genuine remorse, i do not know; but i hope it's the latter :( I agree it really is unfortunate.

TransformUS is a hot topic here right now and has been all year. I've got lots to say about it but sadly because of the way USask has been behaving, I'm reluctant to say anything. Especially in public print.
This is true, and those of you with interviews might benefit from having some idea about the TransformUS platform. It's a possibility that they will ask if you are familiar with it or how you feel about it. Maybe not, but it won't hurt to have an idea about it.

So I have an interview May 29! They say 3rd times the charm.. Right? Dear lord I hope so