WCVM/UCVM c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's totally what I was thinking too! @Squeaksmom. Guess we'll find out tomorrow! I can't imagine there would be calls past 9pm.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you're wondering the same thing @Squeaksmom ! Guess we'll find out tomorrow anyways. I can't imagine they'd be calling past 9!

Congrats to everyone who has received good news!! Crossing my fingers for those who are still waiting to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, for those of your who have been accepted from BC (or anywhere, really). What are you doing for funding? Government loans, line of credit? I am looking into the options and trying to see what other people think! Thank you!

Waiting list. The stress just doesn't end! At least it isn't a no.... (I just wish I knew my ranking)

Waiting list. The stress just doesn't end! At least it isn't a no.... (I just wish I knew my ranking)
With you squeaksmom! I'm from BC and I'm on the waitlist for WCVM too :( I'm number 2. Don't have much hope though. I was talking with Heather and she said that last year was an anomaly. 4 ppl from the waitlist ended up getting in because people dropped out. However, they usually only have 2 people on the waitlist. For WCVM, the people in the alternate list should know their status by next Monday (due date for accepting WCVM offer)! Usually the WCVM waitlist doesn't move at all (1 would be the max). So....we'll see how it goes > <!
:shrug::shrug::shrug:

I'm waitlisted for UCVM, and the deadline to reply to an offer is June 30. I guess in past years they've had people opt out closer to September for various reasons as well, so I could theoretically hear any time between now and school starting. Last year a friend of mine got into UCVM off the waiting list, so that's giving me hope. I assume my ranking will be in my official letter (it hasn't arrived yet, I just got the email) so I should have a better idea of where I stand soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who got in! I didn't get into WVCM =( But I did get an offer for UCVM!! Woo! Look forward to meeting some of you in August!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a call from Heather today! I got accepted into WCVM from the waitlist!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I inquired about a tour of Glacier Hall at U of C (simply because the location would be soooo convenient), and all the graduate halls are already filled and waitlisted, so I guess that option is out. I've been cruising around kijiji looking for a one bedroom and it looks like the going rate is ~1200/month. Booo.

I've been crossing my fingers for you everyday @Squeaksmom! Hopefully some people take spots at WCVM instead and you can get in. Sending good vibes your way :xf:

Thank you everyone! I'm sure there will be good news squeaksmom! DON'T WORRY!

Thanks guys! I know several people who've gotten in off UCVM's waitlist in past years, so I know there's still hope :) I just wish I knew for sure what city I was living in next year so I could plan stuff....

Hey everyone! For those of you looking for a place to live in Calgary my boyfriend and I are looking for a roommate. We have a spare bedroom in our 2 bedroom 1 bath condo for $600 a month all utilities and cable+Internet included. We are a 10-15 min drive from foothills, easily accessible by transit (about 20 mins walk to closest c-train station and closest bus stop is literally outside the building). Only about a 25 min drive to spy hill. We have a dog and a handicat (he has cerebellar hypoplasia) so must love animals.... Which I don't think should be a problem haha. We can provide a bed or feel free to bring your own. Plenty of free street parking outside the building or you can rent a parking spot for $20 a month (not covered). Send me a PM if you have any questions!

Hey guys, I'm looking for places to rent in Saskatoon. Anyone know of someone looking for a roommate close to U of S?

I'm in the market for new roomies this year. I'm hoping to find a house, and I've checked out listings... I just can't afford to pay that much rent by myself. If you're potentially interested, or know anyone who is, PM me. I'll be soliciting your class's facebook page once it's up and running. In case you're curious; the only reason I'm looking for new accommodations is because I had a terrible experience last year with one of my roommates. She wasn't nice to my pets, and rude to me as well, so if she's staying at that house then I won't be (which is honestly too bad since it was a nice house in a great location...) I'm easy going, but do like to listen to music and live with a full time cat and part time dog/boyfriend. :)
If I find one or two who are interested, then I'll be staking out a place ASAP. I just can't commit to that kind of money without knowing that I'll have someone to split rent with.

Hey guys! I will probably be needing to find a roommate for August! I am 25 and extreme focused on school and my career. I think that finding a really great roommate match could add so much to vet med experience!!

I do have a cat, so you can't be bringing any pets with you. And my boyfriend would probably be coming to visit at some point. I would be ok if your boyfriend came to visit, too :). I am looking to spend not more than $800/month including utilities and everything else. If anyone is interested, or if anyone from bc would like to get coffee to talk about it, I would be absolutely available, so please PM me !

Thank you,

Sacha

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm looking for places to rent in Saskatoon. Anyone know of someone looking for a roommate close to U of S?
When you get your welcome package for WCVM there will be a housing list from people looking for roommates or are renting their place. There are lots of places close to the UofS.

OMG you guys I got IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr. Cribb called this morning when I was on my way out the door to work. Funny thing is, I was running late. If I'd left on time, he would have called 5 minutes after I left. Fate!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello wcvm'ers my parents will be buying a house this summer close to u of s and I will be looking for 3 roommates for the fall.. Pm me if you think you might be interested :)

OMG you guys I got IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr. Cribb called this morning when I was on my way out the door to work. Funny thing is, I was running late. If I'd left on time, he would have called 5 minutes after I left. Fate!
Yayyy!! Congrats!!

Anyone accepted to WCVM planning to go to OHLE? I actually called the college and registered the day we got acceptance letters! That's right up my alley and where I'd really love to work one day (public health/infectious/zoonotic disease). Hope to finally meet some of you there!!! :)

Thanks guys!!! I can't believe it, nearly screamed in his ear lol

Thanks @Escalla I don't think it's fully sunk in yet!! My poor hubby was like "omg we have so much to do, you have to call in sick so we can get started on stuff." I pointed out that my shift was starting in just over 1/2 an hour, so doing that would get me blacklisted with the booking office forevermore....

And just letting you two know @Cracker.Jack. and @Squeaksmom, don't go out and buy any books (You can buy Dyce if you really want because you will for sure need it). You'll get all the info you need during orientation. :)

I'm so excited for you guys!

So excited for you @Squeaksmom !! We both got in from the waitlist :) HAHA!! Patience is the key!!

Thanks @pawlover ! Though I'm not sure how patient I really was lol I told my friend Jan I was "impatient for patients!"

I'm literally in disbelief about getting in.. it's so surreal! Our lifelong dreams are coming true! WOW!! I just looked back to the very first posts I made on this forum when I was trying to decide between universities; it seems so long ago...

We made it guys! :D *pats everyone on back*

Reactions: 3 users
I know what you mean! We have to sell the house and move, and we're planning stuff and I catch myself thinking "but what if I don't get in..." and then I have to give my head a shake and remind myself that this is really happening.

Went to Calgary today and checked out a one bedroom suite really, really close to foothills (I could see the med school from the street!). Exactly what I've been looking for as far as location, size, price, etc. Lots of other people were there checking it out today too so fingers crossed I get it. I'll find out tomorrow. It would be suuuuuch a relief to have a place all ready to go. That's been my big stress-maker lately. Apparently the housing market in Calgary is super hot right now and lots of folks are having a tough time finding a place to rent because everything gets snatched up so quickly. Anyone else finding that too? :grumpy:

Yup, except that we're looking to buy which seems to make it even worse. Between the kid and the pets renting didn't seem like the most practical solution, plus we'd be going back to it after having owned for ~15 years. Would make no sense! Fingers crossed that you get the place you want!!

No. Probably went to someone who got there earlier than me or something. Buuuut on the plus side I've found another place on the same neighborhood that looks a lot nicer for the same price that I'm first in line to look at later this week. So I'm still optimistic

Lol yes, you did! Well, it sucks that you didn't get it, but good luck with the next one! I figure everything happens for a reason, so maybe you were supposed to get the nicer one....

Just sent my form and deposit Xpresspost. If Canada Post loses it, I'm seriously going to cry!!!!!!

Just sent my form and deposit Xpresspost. If Canada Post loses it, I'm seriously going to cry!!!!!!

They aren't going to retract your offer without telling you they didn't receive it. :laugh:

Don't stress! That part is over!

For now...

They gave us extra work WCVMers! At least compared to last years first years. But I'm actually really happy about it, an extra credit for a basic business course I think is such a good idea!! I know a lot of vets managing their own practice who gripe and wish they had a bit more business background.

UCVM received my form and deposit this morning according to Canada Post's tracking. I'm so excited, this is really happening!!!! Now to find somewhere to live.....

@sip011 I agree, you definitely can't go wrong with a business course or two! Some of my best friends at the school I'm leaving are business majors, so if all else fails I can pick their brains (or ask one of them to manage my practice....)

I'm excited for the veterinary business course! I did my Bachelor's in business and loved it - the office stuff just wasn't for me!

I am having a really hard time finding pet friendly places to live in Saskatoon, close to U of S! What is everyone else doing for housing?