WCVM/ UCVM c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have sort of a more general question about the MMI questions that hopefully one of you who has done the UCVM interview before can answer, although i'm not sure how much info you can divulge with the confidentiality agreement.

Do the MMI questions tend to be worded more as a specific scenario "ex) you are a vet who has a client come in that says blah blah blah...how do you handle it? or is it ethical to act a certain way?" Or do they tend to be more broad, general questions or statements "Ex) do you think measuring animal pain and analgesic use will contain to be a controversy in the veterinary profession?" or is it more a mixture or both?

I hope i'm making sense as far as the distinction i'm trying to make. I'm finding it a lot easier when i'm practicing for the MMI to tackle direct scenario questions, where as when the questions are more broad and general I find i'm having a hard time really focusing my arguments and organizing them concisely.

As far as the essay goes I've just been reading over general topics of interest in large animal medicine. But I mean really, from what I've read on here the essay could be about anything or could be really general, so knowing that has made it hard for me to prep for it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have sort of a more general question about the MMI questions that hopefully one of you who has done the UCVM interview before can answer, although i'm not sure how much info you can divulge with the confidentiality agreement.

Do the MMI questions tend to be worded more as a specific scenario "ex) you are a vet who has a client come in that says blah blah blah...how do you handle it? or is it ethical to act a certain way?" Or do they tend to be more broad, general questions or statements "Ex) do you think measuring animal pain and analgesic use will contain to be a controversy in the veterinary profession?" or is it more a mixture or both?

I hope i'm making sense as far as the distinction i'm trying to make. I'm finding it a lot easier when i'm practicing for the MMI to tackle direct scenario questions, where as when the questions are more broad and general I find i'm having a hard time really focusing my arguments and organizing them concisely.

As far as the essay goes I've just been reading over general topics of interest in large animal medicine. But I mean really, from what I've read on here the essay could be about anything or could be really general, so knowing that has made it hard for me to prep for it.

Hey!

I think mine were more scenario based. I think there are some sample questions posted online.

If you are met with a more broad question, just think about the position statements from the CVMA. Understanding the rationale behind those statements should help.

Good luck with the interviews everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Long time creeper here and first time applicant. Is anyone else in the afternoon session for UCVM? Getting pretty nervous!!! :nailbiting: I feel like 8 minutes per question is a very long time... Are you expected to talk without prompts or additional questions/info for the whole 8 minutes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to regurgitate some info I heard at the mock interview at the UofC for you haha

So according to a couple of current veterinarian students who were there speaking, including one girl who just had her interview last year, most of the time you won't talk for the full eight minutes. Most of them said they talked for around 4-6 minutes at a lot of the stations, and they managed to get in so I trust their advice lol! I think in a situation like this it's always better to make your arguments and points concise without rambling. You're not really doing yourself any favours by babbling on if you've already made your points and now you're just trying to add filler. And you can take extra time outside when you are reading the question, so that can also cut down on the time you have in the room to talk. I know personally in all of my practice questions I always seem to read the question for at least 2 and a half or 3 minutes

I'm in the morning section, but I'm glad, I know I won't be able to sleep the night before and I'll just be anxious to get it over with!

Just received an interview offer from WCVM!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Did you get the offer for WCVM by email? I think if I do get one it would be second round so still quite a while to wait but just curious!

I'm just going to regurgitate some info I heard at the mock interview at the UofC for you haha

So according to a couple of current veterinarian students who were there speaking, including one girl who just had her interview last year, most of the time you won't talk for the full eight minutes. Most of them said they talked for around 4-6 minutes at a lot of the stations, and they managed to get in so I trust their advice lol! I think in a situation like this it's always better to make your arguments and points concise without rambling. You're not really doing yourself any favours by babbling on if you've already made your points and now you're just trying to add filler. And you can take extra time outside when you are reading the question, so that can also cut down on the time you have in the room to talk. I know personally in all of my practice questions I always seem to read the question for at least 2 and a half or 3 minutes

I'm in the morning section, but I'm glad, I know I won't be able to sleep the night before and I'll just be anxious to get it over with!

Thanks SunnyAntia :) I wish I lived in Calgary so I could have attended that!! Sounds like it was helpful. I have a personal mock MMI set up at my university tomorrow so hopefully that will give me a better feel for it! And congrats on the WCVM interview offer!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks you guys!

Yes I got an email today! Like I mentioned before, I also applied as an equity applicant. They didn't specify in the email whether or not I was getting an interview as an equity applicant, but it seems to me I must be, as when WCVM came to the UofC and did a talk about their admissions they mentioned the average grades you needed to have to receive an interview from the Alberta pool, and they were definitely quite a bit higher than mine ( unless I calculated wrong? ) So I was extremely surprised when I got an email so early, but I guess the moral here is to never count yourself out before you know! Especially with the pool changing every year, you never know where you'll end up.

I got a WCVM offer too! BC applicant and equity applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it true that if you haven't completed your pre-reqs for WCVM you are automatically out of the running for a first round interview?

Any non-equity students get a WCVM interview?

Good luck on Saturday everyone :)

I know of some SK applicants that received invites today.

Is it true that if you haven't completed your pre-reqs for WCVM you are automatically out of the running for a first round interview?

Any non-equity students get a WCVM interview?

Good luck on Saturday everyone :)

No, I knew students when we were in 2nd year undergrad that wouldn't finish their prereqs until the end of April that received first round interviews. I'd say it's probably less likely though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question about the UCVM interviews! Does anyone know if we receive a copy of the question inside of the interviewing room (along with being able to read it posted on the door) ? Not sure if this can be answered due to the privacy disclosure but just thought I would ask :)

Squishes, yes apparently there is a copy of the question outside of the room on the door, and when you go in the question will also be posted on the desk in front of you.

To the veterinary students on here already attending WCVM, what do you think would be your biggest tip as far as preparing for the WCVM interview? I've heard they really grill you and it can be quite intense. I've been reading the paper every day, watching the news, and surfing the net to keep up with things for the current event questions, but as far as general interview questions seems it like they could really ask you anything :nailbiting:

Squishes, yes apparently there is a copy of the question outside of the room on the door, and when you go in the question will also be posted on the desk in front of you.

To the veterinary students on here already attending WCVM, what do you think would be your biggest tip as far as preparing for the WCVM interview? I've heard they really grill you and it can be quite intense. I've been reading the paper every day, watching the news, and surfing the net to keep up with things for the current event questions, but as far as general interview questions seems it like they could really ask you anything :nailbiting:

I got in on my third interview. So I definitely noticed a "bad cop, good cop" - don't let that throw you off your game ;)

I noticed three broad categories: about you, about your animal experience, and your knowledge of the profession.

There will be general questions: tell us about you! Focus on community service, leaderships skills, how you deal with conflict with a co-worker, etc. Pretty much equivalent to a job interview... And yes, there were always questions about current events unrelated to vet med.

There will be animal questions: your animal related experience

Then knowledge of the profession: think CVMA vs your provincial association

My recommendation would be to have someone who interviews for jobs do a mock interview for you, so you have answers to common questions asked in a general interview.

And sometimes they asked me about something I wrote in my statement.

Hope that helps!

And congrats to all the WCVM interviewees!

Tomorrow is D-day! So nervoussss

Thanks SunnyAntia! Ah yes counting down the hours now... Good luck everyone!!! This will be a great experience :) (trying to stay positive and calm over here :wideyed:)

Congrats on the interviews, guys! It's strange... No one I know from BC has heard anything yet!

Hi everyone, first time posting here. First off, congrats to everyone who got a WCVM interview and good luck on the UCVM interviews to the people who have them tomorrow. I'm from BC and I got an interview for the WCVM on Wednesday. First time in three years that I got one, so any advice on the interview would be very much appreciated.

Good luck!! See you all soon!!!!

Phew, glad that's over! (At least for us morning section folks)

Well guys, what did you think? I definitely found the mmi section difficult, as I figured I would. Got tongue tied a fair few times haha oh well, just glad it's done at this point!

I thought the process was very fair, and very well done. Heres hoping everything goes as smoothly for everyone who gets a WCVM interview :)

Man, there's over 2 months of waiting to do :(

Hello!
I am super confused as to how UCVM calculates the GPA average? I currently go to a university that only reports letter grades, if I get an 80 = A, 90+ = A+. According to the conversion chart, do they care what the exact grade is, how does it work? I am super confused. Any help would be great :) thanks

Hello!
I am super confused as to how UCVM calculates the GPA average? I currently go to a university that only reports letter grades, if I get an 80 = A, 90+ = A+. According to the conversion chart, do they care what the exact grade is, how does it work? I am super confused. Any help would be great :) thanks

The way I think it works is that your university should provide a chart that indicates what exactly an "A" means. For example at my university an A might mean 85-90% but at another university that A might mean 80-85%. What U of C will do is see that you got an A because you got a % somewhere in between an 80-85% according to your university - say 83%. They will see where that 80-85% matches up on their conversion chart (e.g. also probably an A). However for a student at my university where an A is actually 85-90%, and an A- is 80-85% that means that if they get 83% they will get an A- on their university transcripts...but when you convert over to U of C they end up with a A because an 83% at U of C is between 80-85% thus an A.

It was pretty confusing for me because I came from a school with a 9-point GPA system and I don't know what the actual letter conversion is for U of C undergraduate classes (they just post their letter grades based on their 4.0 GPA system).

Had my WCVM interview yesterday! Now to go back to waiting....

Anyone else had a WCVM interview yet? How did you think it went?

Still another month to go. Anyone know when they start sending out second round interview offers?

Had my WCVM interview yesterday! Now to go back to waiting....

Anyone else had a WCVM interview yet? How did you think it went?

Still another month to go. Anyone know when they start sending out second round interview offers?

Congrats! I'm sure you did great!! :) I'm working at the college this summer and keep seeing you interviewees coming in nice clothes and remembering how totally nerve wracking it is!!
Assuming it is similar to last year, I received a second round offer May 15th. Second round interviews are around the 28-31 ish and then final notice came out on June 4th I think! :) good luck!!!

Congrats! I'm sure you did great!! :) I'm working at the college this summer and keep seeing you interviewees coming in nice clothes and remembering how totally nerve wracking it is!!
Assuming it is similar to last year, I received a second round offer May 15th. Second round interviews are around the 28-31 ish and then final notice came out on June 4th I think! :) good luck!!!

Wow they don't give you much notice for the second round interviews. But at least you only have to wait about a week afterwards, I'm going nuts thinking about waiting another month.

Thanks! Yes, nerve wracking is definitely how I would describe it! I really think that's what tripped me up the most, got so nervous couldn't remember things haha. I'm not very confident about how it went, I definitely bombed a few questions and got flustered on some answers, but I'm glad I had the experience of doing it. Now if I have to apply again next year i'll at least know what to expect, and hopefully I'll do better.

Is anyone else still waiting to here from WCVM for second round interviews?

Only applied for UCVM this year, still nervously waiting haha another month to go to get rejected by UCVM T_T

I'm still waiting to hear back from WCVM for the second round interviews. I just submitted my last semesters grades May 12th so hopefully they'll get back to me soon with an interview offer. Fingers crossed!

I'm still waiting to hear back from WCVM for the second round interviews. I just submitted my last semesters grades May 12th so hopefully they'll get back to me soon with an interview offer. Fingers crossed!

I submitted mine in early May but only just got a grade to appear on my final transcript, so I just sent them the official copy.

Just received an interview offer from the WCVM!!!!! First time commenting on this forum but I've been reading it the whole time.
I am a Manitoba applicant.

Congrats guys, I figured they must be coming today! ianyniu, which province are you from?

I can't believe it! I am so nervous! Anyone else get an interview from MB?

I got an offer for an interview today from BC!!! I guess I'll be seeing some of you in Saskatoon soon :). Congratulations everyone!

Congrats on the WCVM interviews! Good luck!

Hey everyone, first time commenter. I have had an interview for the UCVM three times but it was my first time applying for WCVM

First off, congrats to everyone who got interviews to either school!!!!! I am pretty positive that I did not get an interview this time for WCVM (ahah), but I was wondering if anyone knows if they send out emails confirming the fact or not?

Also, who else is getting very impatient on waiting for news on acceptance? :3

I'm getting impatient and antsy haha, but not for the acceptance but for the rejection so I can move on with my life and plan for next year sigh...

Anyways for UCVM it's the first two weeks of June, and I'm not sure for WCVM!

I think I read in previous year's threads about them changing the message of the day to say all interview offers have been sent out, but it hasn't changed yet (although considering the second round interviews are happening like, now, I think you are probably right and they are done)

A girl I know who got accepted to both schools last year said she found out from WCVM a few days before UCVM, but I can't imagine they would let you know too far apart from one another as you don't have very long to accept or decline the offer right? And I know neither of them ever wants to look like they're being outdone by the other school ;)

I agree DPolaris, I just want to know so I can move on and stop obsessing over it haha. Even a rejection means that I can start making concrete plans for the next year regarding where I'm going to work, live, etc. At the same time the thought of telling everyone I didn't get in is so unpleasant that I almost wish that it could wait another couple months.

At the WCVM interview they said the same, first two weeks of June. But reading through previous years looks like it's usually sometime in the first week.

Thanks to the both of you, that's kind of what I figured and I am happy that your message of the day hasn't changed either. I thought that mine might have had a glitch :hungover:

And same here! The not knowing is always killer. It's like being in limbo!
I know last year that I got the rejection letter at the end of the first week and I head rumour that sometimes they call last week of may but who knows :shrug:

I have pretty much lost all hope for UCVM at this point, I really think my MMI was pretty abysmal. I'm glad I know what to expect for next year If I have to apply again, but I'm absolutely dreading having to repeat the MMI experience. Having three people stare at me in silence while I blather on is not a fun way to spend an hour and a half haha :p. I way preferred the WCVM interview style, it felt so much more personal.

If you guys don't mind me asking wolffox9 and DPolarlis, what made you choose to apply only to UCVM?

Was this your first year applying for UCVM SunnyAntia? It can be pretty daunting the first time as I recall (aha) but you would be surprised how much better it feels the second time! Also, did you have the essay or MMI first? I had the essay first for the first time since I have been at the interviews and it felt SO much better, got a good chunk of my nerves out. I found for the MMI's what really helped me was watching videos of not only what dictates as an exceptional interview, but also the videos made by different vet schools by the students. It allowed me to relate and really made me feel much better that I was going the right path and not alone. I also read/watch a lot of vet/animal welfare shows that allowed me to absorb a lot of terminology and see real life scenarios.

I chose to apply to UCVM for a couple of reasons. One reason being that it is a LOT closer for me and I would be able to be near my family, pets and friends. I also went to the tour my first time through the interview and I got a really good feel about the layout and everything. I adored the fact that one of the Deans actually was giving the tour and was interacting with the potential students. He was really kind and I did not get the feeling that he was looking down on us, as I have with some professors in the past, that we deserved to be addressed with respect.
Also, the fact that there is a lot more hands on learning was a major checkmark for me. I am definitely better at learning when I can see and interact with the learning material/techniques. I know that for a lot of pre-vets that they would prefer WCVM, and do not get me wrong I would love to go there as well if given the chance, because of the teaching hospital, but I love the idea that at the UCVM they actually go out into the communities and interact and assist in different clinics/animal industries. Also, I have heard that the UCVM takes a bit more time with how to properly deal with the public and different difficult scenarios. Public relations with veterinary clients and the public is so important and I believe it makes a huge difference in whether one fails or succeeds in the veterinary medical industry.

I hope that helps? :)

How about yourself SunnyAntia?

Yes, my first year applying to both schools! I had the MMI first, I was so nervous I literally can't even remember some of the stations (yes, seriously haha) after the MMI I felt so beaten up I had a hard time concentrating on the essay. I think my biggest mistake when prepping was not practicing a diverse enough array of questions, but honestly, I don't think anything I could have done would have prepared me for the actual thing. Just experiencing it has helped me a lot though, I know I'll do better if I have to apply next year.

I was born and raised in Calgary, I haven't lived there for about 10 years but a lot of my family still does. Calgary is also a lot closer to where me and my immediate family currently live, so visiting would be a lot easier. I also have a relatively affordable place to live lined up in Calgary if i'm accepted there. The school seems great and I like that they get a ton of hands on experience really early, and their clinical skills building was beautiful. Still, I'm not super interested in their four areas of focus. I've spent a lot of time working with exotics and I'm really interested in avian medicine, so WCVM seems like a better fit for pursuing that line of veterinary medicine. But those Saskatoon winters.....brr I get cold just thinking about them ;)

Seriously though, I would be over the moon to get in anywhere!

For me, I had the essay too as well in the morning session for UCVM. I just finished third year of undergraduate, so I figured that if I got into WCVM this year I would probably opt to just finish my 4th year anyways because I know literally no one in Saskatoon and it's just so far from my family in Vancouver (I'm from Calgary but parents moved there ages ago), as well as the weather is pretty brutal.

I thought the essay was pretty interesting, but definitely not one of the better pieces I've written over the years. For the MMI I definitely screwed up some stations, but I also felt like I did well in others, so hopefully the "average" is good haha!

Right now it's literally waking up and checking the myUofC portal to see if my little green dot has changed to a yellow/green checkmark yet, as well as see if any emails have popped up haha. I'm most worried that they didn't get my transcripts, I mean I go to UofC so they get it automatically but like what if something messed up?

I just want to get my result at this point even if it is a rejection so that I can move on with my life. Days are feeling longer :p I am obsessively checking my UofC portal too @DPolaris