WCVM/ UCVM c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm getting impatient and antsy haha, but not for the acceptance but for the rejection so I can move on with my life and plan for next year sigh...

Anyways for UCVM it's the first two weeks of June, and I'm not sure for WCVM!

I think they go out within 1 to 2 days of each other, well at least for Alberta applicants!

I think Deans have a contest as to who can get to them first ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, first time commenter. I have had an interview for the UCVM three times but it was my first time applying for WCVM

First off, congrats to everyone who got interviews to either school!!!!! I am pretty positive that I did not get an interview this time for WCVM (ahah), but I was wondering if anyone knows if they send out emails confirming the fact or not?

Also, who else is getting very impatient on waiting for news on acceptance? :3

Welcome to the forum! Best of luck!

Hopefully they give us notification end of May hehe, but seeing as UCVM's deadline for final transcripts is May 29, I don't see them coming back to us with the accepts/rejects until at least first week of June haha. Unless I'm wrong. Which I hope I am. Or do I? Not sure.

How's everyone's summer? Or spring-ish with this weather

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt we'll hear anything until at least the first week of June. The last month has dragged on, but now that it's only like a week away i'm thinking maybe I'd like to put off the possible rejection depression for a little while longer haha. Especially now that I'm graduating in June, having to be stuck here waiting for another year with no school to focus on would be bruuutal.

My plans for the summer pretty much revolve around what happens in the next couple weeks. If I don't get accepted anywhere I've got a few good volunteer opportunities lined up, and I'll probably focus on trying to take seek out leadership opportunities (thinking that was a big weak spot in my application). If somewhere accepts me I'm planning on just working as much as possible between my two jobs and saving up as much money as a I can.

How about you guys? What are your summer plans looking like?

Last edited:
I'm also getting butterflies...its been a long wait! I also did not get an interview with WCVM but I kinda expected that...I mean I didn't have all my pre-reqs and my grades aren't top-notch. I was banking on my experience/interview to pull me through but that only really matters if you get to the interview stage anyway. oh well :(

I have a full time job now working in a new clinic, so I would probably stick with that but maybe also want to take some time off to help with a penguin rescue in NZ during their summer. Thats a big "if" though and lots of things need to be considered (like if that money would be better spend on tuition and graduating debt free). So trying to keep as many options open as I can :)

That honestly sounds so fun and would be a great experience. However, tuition/student loans are a....pretty big deal hahaha so definitely think about that!

For me I'm a research slave again this summer with an awesome supervisor, so my 9-5's are filled with that. Other than that it's just relaxing and trying hard not to panic about the reply from UCVM haha!

Oh wow Capucinus that sounds like it would be an amazing experience!

Living away from home plus tuition for the last four years has left me with a piiiile of student loans :( and that's not even considering four years of vet school in the future. I think that's one of the few positives I've thought of as far as not getting accepted this year, it would give me a year to work like crazy and try to save more money. If you have the opportunity to graduate with no debt, that's a huge plus.

But on the other hand, experiences like that are so awesome it would seem a shame to pass it up!

Last edited:
Hi all! I'm new on the forum and really appreciate everyone's supportive attitude. I'm a third-time applicant at ucvm (3rd interview) and first timer at wcvm (no interview unfortunately!). I was wondering what your opinions are on an applicant's time of acceptance. For example, I've heard that those accepted after 2 years of undergrad have a bit of a harder time in vet school. Also, does having more academic experience help in terms of readiness for the rigor of vet school? Thanks!

Hm I believe that would totally depend on the person! I know a few people who got into vet/dental/med after 2 years, and they seem to definitely be fine in class. It would no doubt help to have courses such as physiology/anatomy and the likes under your belt, but since it's professional school they will teach you everything you need to know from the ground up anyways I assume. It's just that you'll have an easier time if those vet courses are "refreshers" instead of a whole new course.

Also if you get in after 2nd year, you're definitely a very stellar student (not saying anyone else isn't hahaha, just saying if one can get into vet/dental/med after 2 years they are really, really exceptional), and probably won't really be at a disadvantage compared to other students! But I do think having more academic experience would no doubt be advantageous.

Then again I'm not actually in vet school, and everything I know is from other people haha!

Hm I believe that would totally depend on the person! I know a few people who got into vet/dental/med after 2 years, and they seem to definitely be fine in class. It would no doubt help to have courses such as physiology/anatomy and the likes under your belt, but since it's professional school they will teach you everything you need to know from the ground up anyways I assume. It's just that you'll have an easier time if those vet courses are "refreshers" instead of a whole new course.

Also if you get in after 2nd year, you're definitely a very stellar student (not saying anyone else isn't hahaha, just saying if one can get into vet/dental/med after 2 years they are really, really exceptional), and probably won't really be at a disadvantage compared to other students! But I do think having more academic experience would no doubt be advantageous.

Then again I'm not actually in vet school, and everything I know is from other people haha!

Thanks! I definitely agree on those points. Personally, I think I'm in a much better position now (academically and personally) to take on vet school but it's great that those 2nd years get in and succeed! Now if only I knew whether they'll have me or not!

I'm getting really nervous about replies too. At first I thought my WCVM interview went pretty well, but the more I think about it, the less I think that it' s top 20 material :(.

How did you find your interviews went? My interviewers were really friendly and warm and didn't really give me any indication that I did poorly or exceptionally well, but I feel as though my answers were not that well thought out.

I'm having the same problem Noodle! Second guessing myself! We need to stop that haha. What's done is done, just try not to worry about it.

I said some really stupid stuff in my interview, and I'm finding it a lot easier to dwell on all my poor responses rather than the good ones. That being said, my interviewers were lovely and really friendly. I definitely did have the one "bad cop" interviewer who was questioning pretty much everything I said (He asked me what I thought of terrorism....I said I didn't think it was good? LOL but then of course that turned into a discussion on perspective)

I wish I would have just taken a few more deep breaths before answering and really taken time to listen to what they were saying before jumping to answer. But hey, we're all nervous right! :p

No way I did well on that interview (UCVM)....I keep thinking back on this one station where I just did so poorly, and can't help but think that station is going to really pull me down! But like you said Sunny, no use thinking back about it now, better spend that time focusing on work and potentially planning on how to improve for next year!

Thanks! I definitely agree on those points. Personally, I think I'm in a much better position now (academically and personally) to take on vet school but it's great that those 2nd years get in and succeed! Now if only I knew whether they'll have me or not!

Are you a second year applying? Good luck to you I'm sure you'll do fine if you get in this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow Capucinus that sounds like it would be an amazing experience!

Living away from home plus tuition for the last four years has left me with a piiiile of student loans :( and that's not even considering four years of vet school in the future. I think that's one of the few positives I've thought of as far as not getting accepted this year, it'll give me a year to work like crazy and try to save more money. If you have the opportunity to graduate with no debt, that's a huge plus.

But on the other hand, experiences like that are so awesome it would seem a shame to pass it up!

I know its really hard to balance out the two...I am a more mature student and have been saving for 4 years for vet school. Luckily my parents helped be out with my undergrad, but this one is on me. So its hard to justify taking on big debt just for one volunteer opportunity across the world when there are lots of things I can do right here in Alberta. If I don't get in thats another year of working full-time so maybe I can save up enough to do both.

Hi all! I'm new on the forum and really appreciate everyone's supportive attitude. I'm a third-time applicant at ucvm (3rd interview) and first timer at wcvm (no interview unfortunately!). I was wondering what your opinions are on an applicant's time of acceptance. For example, I've heard that those accepted after 2 years of undergrad have a bit of a harder time in vet school. Also, does having more academic experience help in terms of readiness for the rigor of vet school? Thanks!

Like the others have said, I think it really depends on the person. I know I have matured a lot in the past 3 years after graduating from my bachelors and I have a lot of independent work that has helped me realize that even the most anticipated difficult courses in vet school will be manageable. I also feel that when I graduate from vet school I will be more confident - I'll be ready take on the responsibilities of having another "persons" life in your hands. I don't know if I would have been ready for that at 22 (say if I had tried to apply in second year) or at 24 (if I had tried to apply straight out of undergrad). As a young adult I was still growing up, and was still learning how to be independent let alone throwing in how to be a doctor. But everyone is different, and if someone feels ready at 18-19 to take that journey so they graduate at 22-23 more power to them.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely would agree with what Capucinus and DPolaris have said. But like they both mentioned, everyone's personal experience as far as what they get out of their undergrad is going to be different. For me, it wasn't even so much the actual classes and school between my second and fourth years that helped me grow, but the fact that I moved to a new city and a new university where I knew no one. That was really the first time I had to learn how to be independent, and had to make things work without anyone holding my hand. I studied alone, I lived alone, and so I found that I learned a lot about myself in those couple of years and I grew a lot as a person. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that while I do believe that learning to deal with a tough course load is definitely necessary for vet school, I think there are a lot of other personal traits that are going to help someone succeed on their veterinary journey and that they can't necessarily be gained just by being a couple years older, or having a couple extra years of school. Depends more on a person's experiences during those years, not just their age.

I'm sure there are plenty of second year students that are just as ready to handle vet school as fourth year students, and I'm sure there are some that aren't.

Hey guys - I just wanted to say no matter what happens this week (well probably this week right?!) we should all be very proud of ourselves and everything we have done to get ourselves to this position. Most applicants don't get interviews and we had the chance to showcase ourselves and let them know we weren't just any old number. We got to put a face to the name. I can't wait to find out who gets in. From the sounds of it we all are qualified, we have the experience and more importantly the drive. Its going to be a nerve-racking few days but we will survive. Good luck!

Hello and welcome!!

This is very individualistic. There are some brilliant people in my class with only two years of undergrad... Although some have little school/life balance - lots of school = better grades.

I did classes in my BSc such as physiology and vertebrate biology (lots of anatomy), so I did really well in those classes in first year. Some of my classmates struggled because they had never done a bell ringer exam.

But really, it's more based on your own strengths and weaknesses.

I have a question for anyone on here who's had a WCVM interview, be it current WCVM students or people who have interviewed this year or in previous years

Did you find during your interviews that the panel ignored significant (well, at least in your opinion significant) things on your resume, and instead asked you about unrelated areas you don't have experience in? For example, I shadowed a couple of equine veterinarians over the course of last summer as my experience has mainly been small animal focused. During my interview they asked me all about how commercial chickens are raised and a lot of food animal stuff (I guess because I have bird experience? But nothing working with any sort of food animals) but they never touched once on my actual large animal vet experience. Seems like a drag to put in a summer gaining that experience to have them not ask anything about it. I totally understand that they want to see you think on your feet and make you defend your opinion on controversial issues, etc, but still kind of a bummer to have experience in certain areas and they don't get to see it.

So I guess my question is does anyone know if they take ALL of your experiences into account when they make their decision, even if they didn't talk to you about them in the interview? I have no idea if anyone will know the answer to this question, but it's been bugging me for a month now so thought it was worth a shot haha :laugh:

Last edited:
I have a question for anyone on here who's had a WCVM interview, be it current WCVM students or people who have interviewed this year or in previous years

Did you find during your interviews that the panel ignored significant (well, at least in your opinion significant) things on your resume, and instead asked you about unrelated areas you don't have experience in? For example, I shadowed a couple of equine veterinarians over the course of last summer as my experience has mainly been small animal focused. During my interview they asked me all about how commercial chickens are raised and a lot of food animal stuff (I guess because I have bird experience? But nothing working with any sort of food animals) but they never touched once on my actual large animal vet experience. Seems like a drag to put in a summer gaining that experience to have them not ask anything about it. I totally understand that they want to see you think on your feet and make you defend your opinion on controversial issues, etc, but still kind of a bummer to have experience in certain areas and they don't get to see it.

So I guess my question is does anyone know if they take ALL of your experiences into account when they make their decision, even if they didn't talk to you about them in the interview? I have no idea if anyone will know the answer to this question, but it's been bugging me for a month now so thought it was worth a shot haha :laugh:

I certainly feel your pain :( I spent most of my undergrad years focusing on gaining as much animal experience as I could and as a result my leadership experience and non-animal experience were weak. I found that the interviewers focused a lot more on my non-animal experience making me feel pretty inadequate after the interview (I just got nothing much to talk about there lol). I hope it's part of the tactic they do to try to shatter your confidence (or stress you out) but on the other hand I do wish I had more time to do more non-animal related stuff :/

Anyone else freaking out about the result from WCVM? I think last year it came out June 04 >.<

I had the same general vibe from them as well. While they didn't ask about things I was completely unfamiliar with, they focused on smaller parts of my application that I didn't think were really worth mentioning. I think the reason they do that is because you (probably) already gave them a good overview of the strongest parts of your application in the application itself, so they want to explore perhaps the weaker aspects. I think the overall goal of the interview is to make sure you aren't socially inept, that you are a well-balanced individual, and that you know a thing or two about the veterinary profession. Don't lose too much sleep over it- I'm sure you did great!

Not to worry Sunny, they do that to everyone because they want to know you have breadth of knowledge of the profession. The equine experience you gained will help you once you're in vet school, believe me there are students who have never haltered a horse before, so you'll feel good that you can do that!

Fingers crossed that we get the news this Friday!

Also fingers crossed we get news soon, really feel like a freak refreshing this page for the Alerts, looking at myUofC and also my email haha!

And wow, WCVM seems too intense for me hahaha

Haha as much as I'm crabbing about the interview I still way preffered WCVM to the MMI. It sounds intense but it was much more laid back than doing stations. Plus, in the Calgary interview you don't really get a chance to talk about your experiences at all which is one of the things I found really disappointing about the MMI.

I definitelty understood the interview questions where they asked me about the profession and other non-vet related things. I guess it just seemed weird to me that they would spend a good chunk of the interview time asking me about food animals, an area I have NO experience with , instead of getting to know me and the things I've been involved in. But like you guys mentioned, probably helps give them a better view of who you are as a whole package. No point in asking about things that are already plain to see on my application.

Could be any day now. Pretty much just keeping my phone with me at all times (much to my bosses disdain I'm sure haha)

After my interview, Heather mentioned something about meeting today or tomorrow with the admissions committee to decide on applications and that they will get back to us very soon. I hate that I can't check my application on my iPhone! When I get the email, I want to know right away :scared:

Ooh your interview was today? I wonder how fast they can go through applications, must be a LOT of paperwork and discussing between people, no?

image.jpg
Me waiting for a response.

Hahaha! omg =.= I saw in the alerts you attached an image and thought you attached the Acceptance letter and was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When did you have your interview noodle? Oh man this is getting way too intense I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my stomach every time I see there is an alert on here :eek:

Although being an Alberta applicant it seems like if you don't get a call you pretty much already know the answer when that "View Final Decision" button lights up :(

Ooh where's the View Final Decision button? Or is this only for WCVM?

Yah sorry that's WCVM! On their application portal the button lights up when they've posted their decision. I'm not sure what the UCVM equivalent is, but like I said before I think both schools call successful applicants (from Alberta) so if you're in that's most likely the way you'll find out first.

Noo sorry for the confusion! My interview was last Tuesday!

It must be even more nerve-wracking as an Alberta applicant waiting for that phone call. At least as a BC applicant I know exactly how I will find out regardless of the outcome.

I mean it's nice in theory, I don't mind the idea of a call I just wish I knew WHEN they were going to call ;) because now I just sit around all the time wondering whether or not it's just that they haven't decided yet or if they've already called people and I just didn't get accepted this year haha. This whole process is making me feel like a crazy person.

Really glad I have a long shift at work tomorrow because the more I sit here on this website the more obsessive and analytical I'm becoming about all this, really could go for a distraction right now (or several very strong drinks, either option will suffice at this point)

I have a computer at work so..I'm refreshing this page way too often to be healthy :D

Plus whenever someone does call I get all excited...

Edit: Also, I noticed on the WCVM website convocation was June 4, so perhaps results will come out after that date for you WCVM folks? Or perhaps I'm just being obsessive and taking everything as a hint...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oh is it today? I guess that means we probably won't hear today. I know it's early, but I was kinda getting my hopes up! I need to distract myself from this obsessive phone checking business...

Idk but from reading past years threads from around this time it SEEMS like the committee meets and then a couple days later people were getting decisions. So if Heather told you they were meeting today or yesterday who knows, it really could be any day now. Granted that would make them pretty early this year, but seeing as last year it was the 4th I don't think it's unreasonable to think it could be today or the next couple days.

As far as UCVM goes I have no idea lol except that if WCVM is within the next few days they will hopefully be close to the same.

UCVM has gotten back to applicants the Friday of the first week and Monday of the second week in my experience, so we're not too far off now!

I can't survive until Friday :(

Ugh, me neither, Polaris. I just got a junk email from LinkedIn and freaked out thinking it was WCVM. I think I need to be put out of my misery :nod:.

On another note... this emoji kind of made my day >>:beat:

I'll be running laps like a crazy person until this is over :boom:

Ooh your interview was today? I wonder how fast they can go through applications, must be a LOT of paperwork and discussing between people, no?

My guess is they plug the numbers into their wizardry of a computer analysis and spit out a list from 1 to 40! Everyone gets a score for their interview, and grades are already in. They've probably scored first round already, so just those getting interviews this week! I think they're pretty fast with it. A lot of the interviewers do so over several years, at least the internal ones.

Either way, you'll have an answer soon, and the anxiety levels can come down! ;)

Haha awesome! How does WCVM interviews work anyways? You do your first round interviews, and if you do well they call you for second round, then final decision?

No, you only do one interview. WCVM decides who gets interviews based solely on grades, like UCVM, but they only interview roughly double the amount of people there are spots for (I think for Alberta it's a few more, like 45, as they have to account for some people getting into both UCVM and WCVM and choosing the former)

So the top 40/45 people with the best grades get interviews, but they split up those interviews into first round (top half for grades) and second round (bottom half) I don't really know why but my guess would be it has to do with waiting to see what people's marks are for their second semester as that can really change the game as far as GPA goes.

So because they interview less people than UCVM I've heard it's harder to get an interview, but once you have one your chances are 50/50 of getting accepted.

....unless you say stupid things in your interview like certain people haha

(If anyone knows more about the interview process or if I have any of this wrong feel free to correct me)

Whewww I doubt I'd be able to handle two interviews!!

Does anyone know if WCVM call people if you get in? Or do we all check it on the website?

They call successful Alberta applicants (so I've heard) because UCVM does it. If your from any other province you find out on the portal when the "view final decision" button is activated :)

Now that I'm thinking about it I guess I'm not technically an Alberta applicant , I'm an education equity applicant (and I'm gonna stick to that fact so that I can still have a shred of hope if I don't get a phone call bwahaha, I don't even care if I'm fooling myself :p)

No, you only do one interview. WCVM decides who gets interviews based solely on grades, like UCVM, but they only interview roughly double the amount of people there are spots for (I think for Alberta it's a few more, like 45, as they have to account for some people getting into both UCVM and WCVM and choosing the former)

So the top 40/45 people with the best grades get interviews, but they split up those interviews into first round (top half for grades) and second round (bottom half) I don't really know why but my guess would be it has to do with waiting to see what people's marks are for their second semester as that can really change the game as far as GPA goes.

So because they interview less people than UCVM I've heard it's harder to get an interview, but once you have one your chances are 50/50 of getting accepted.

....unless you say stupid things in your interview like certain people haha

(If anyone knows more about the interview process or if I have any of this wrong feel free to correct me)

Ya, I think that's right. Top half interviews in the first round, then final grades for the current semester get looked at to rank the rest of the applicants. Then second round interviews go out.