WCVM/UCVM c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeilaFay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread...

I'm a WCVM class of 2016 student and I applied to UCVM what seems like many years ago now, but not really!

Any questions, feel free to post!

Members don't see this ad.

UCVM Class of 2019 here, feels good to be back here as a vet student! Feel free to pick my tiny brain and hope I can help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I'm new here, but have been following threads for a while. I'm applying to WCVM for the second time this year as a BC applicant. I did not get an interview last year as I was number 56 on the list, meaning I have some work to do on my GPA. Just wondering if someone else has been this far up the list and been able to score an interview in the past? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Back in the day... This is many moons ago when BC only accepted 15 applicants... I ranked 60 something.

I applied 7 times in total.

So yes, you got it! Work on that GPA! Are you still in your undergrad?

UCVM Class of 2019 here, feels good to be back here as a vet student! Feel free to pick my tiny brain and hope I can help!

I interviewed at UCVM last time around (for the first time) but didn't make the cut :( Any advice on how to improve for next time assuming I'm offered an interview again? I'm currently working full time at a small animal practice as a veterinary assistant and taking some time each week to work through a few of Bernard Rollin's vet ethics cases. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I interviewed at UCVM last time around (for the first time) but didn't make the cut :( Any advice on how to improve for next time assuming I'm offered an interview again? I'm currently working full time at a small animal practice as a veterinary assistant and taking some time each week to work through a few of Bernard Rollin's vet ethics cases. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Did you look at your stats compared to those that got accepted?

Back in the day... This is many moons ago when BC only accepted 15 applicants... I ranked 60 something.

I applied 7 times in total.

So yes, you got it! Work on that GPA! Are you still in your undergrad?

Thanks so much for replying! No, unfortunately I'm not in my undergrad anymore so I'm kinda at a disadvantage there. But at least taking extra courses has to do something to my GPA. I doubt I will make the cut for interviews this year but I'm super determined to go to WCVM like you were.

Thanks so much for replying! No, unfortunately I'm not in my undergrad anymore so I'm kinda at a disadvantage there. But at least taking extra courses has to do something to my GPA. I doubt I will make the cut for interviews this year but I'm super determined to go to WCVM like you were.

If you are determined, then you'll be able to do it!

You may have to go back and take undergrad courses full time to boost your GPA. You'll need 4-5 courses per semester, and courses you know you can do well in.

Another option is to become an AHT, then you can get course work and experience at the same time. TRU had a program that can be done partly by correspondence, so that's another option. Douglas College also has a program. You would still need a full course load to make a difference on your WCVM application.

Did you look at your stats compared to those that got accepted?

The email I received back with my rankings showed that I was almost in the top 45 for the essay and last 4 full time semesters however my MMI and 10 pre-requisite course scores were quite low. I spoke to Dr. Read this summer about what I should focus on (at the time I was considering re-doing some of the 10 pre-req courses) and he told me not to worry about re-doing the classes since they're only worth 15% overall and to focus more on gaining experience for the MMI. I've been working at a small animal clinic since May but I feel like I need broader experience. Unfortunately there are not many large animal practices where I live so experience in that department is tough. Can you suggest anything more I should be doing/reading? I also applied to WCVM and my grades weren't competitive enough to make an interview. I spoke to their admissions and they said it would be tough to boost my GPA since I've already completed my degree and perhaps I should re-locate to a less competitive province or do another 1-2 years of undergrad to replace my first year or two of grades. If you don't mind me asking, how did you increase your chances each time to get accepted to WCVM?

If you are determined, then you'll be able to do it!

You may have to go back and take undergrad courses full time to boost your GPA. You'll need 4-5 courses per semester, and courses you know you can do well in.

Another option is to become an AHT, then you can get course work and experience at the same time. TRU had a program that can be done partly by correspondence, so that's another option. Douglas College also has a program. You would still need a full course load to make a difference on your WCVM application.

Thank you for the advice! :)

The email I received back with my rankings showed that I was almost in the top 45 for the essay and last 4 full time semesters however my MMI and 10 pre-requisite course scores were quite low. I spoke to Dr. Read this summer about what I should focus on (at the time I was considering re-doing some of the 10 pre-req courses) and he told me not to worry about re-doing the classes since they're only worth 15% overall and to focus more on gaining experience for the MMI. I've been working at a small animal clinic since May but I feel like I need broader experience. Unfortunately there are not many large animal practices where I live so experience in that department is tough. Can you suggest anything more I should be doing/reading? I also applied to WCVM and my grades weren't competitive enough to make an interview. I spoke to their admissions and they said it would be tough to boost my GPA since I've already completed my degree and perhaps I should re-locate to a less competitive province or do another 1-2 years of undergrad to replace my first year or two of grades. If you don't mind me asking, how did you increase your chances each time to get accepted to WCVM?

Thanks for sharing, that is helpful to know what the WCVM admission committee said regarding GPA. I am also interested in knowing how to get an interview spot when a student has finished their degree..

Last edited:

Hi again!

To boost my GPA I went back to school. I did another degree basically. Some of my courses transferred from my previous undergrad. If you do really well in a full time course load, you might gain an interview. Everyone has a bad year on their undergrad.

As far as UCVM goes, the interview process will be pretty much the same. They interview way more than are accepted. But those who have been through it will have a better chance than those who haven't. The questions/scenarios might not be the same, but the concepts will. If you can remember the broad concepts/topics of each station, then you can prepare better for next time.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi again!

To boost my GPA I went back to school. I did another degree basically. Some of my courses transferred from my previous undergrad. If you do really well in a full time course load, you might gain an interview. Everyone has a bad year on their undergrad.

As far as UCVM goes, the interview process will be pretty much the same. They interview way more than are accepted. But those who have been through it will have a better chance than those who haven't. The questions/scenarios might not be the same, but the concepts will. If you can remember the broad concepts/topics of each station, then you can prepare better for next time.

Thanks for the reply :) It's comforting to hear that you went back and did more undergrad and are now finishing vet school! I've thought about doing this but always felt discouraged by the idea, now it doesn't sound so daunting. I think I'll give UCVM my best shot then decide if I should go back to school or not! Do you know if WCVM has a preference to what kinds of courses are taken when replacing a bad year or two?

Members don't see this ad :)

If you got the interview, that means your GPA isn't, or shouldn't, be the limiting factor here out of your entire application! For the MMI, I used Rollin's book as well as practiced MMI questions every day. It helped that a lot of my friends were/are going for med school so I practiced with them as well. For the essay, I reckon they mark more on how eloquently you express yourself rather than the content itself.

Out of the 10 pre-req courses, how many do you think were "below" average? If you think they affected your application significantly, it might not be a bad idea to retake them, but also be a full time student this year because they look at the last 2 years, and if you take your pre-req courses again and add a bunch of fluff courses to boost up your GPA, it might be worthwhile. However, I do agree that the MMI is the largest part here. I suggest that you come up with some sort of structure to help yourself through each question in the MMI, such as a intro-present ideas from both sides of the argument-choose your stance-explain why-conclude, something like that. Of course, not always will you have a "Choose A or B" question, you might be asked what you would do in a situation and such.

To prepare for the MMI try writing out some sample essay questions in 1 hour. Just time yourself and think of 5 or so essay topics (even going with the one you we had last year). That way when you get to the real essay you will have a feel for how long it takes you to write. Pick three main points, keep it simple and well written. Give yourself 5 minutes to look it over before you submit. Once you have practiced with a few prepped questions get someone to make a couple more topics that you don't know before hand and won't have time to research (maybe ask the vet in your clinic or a tech to write down a couple). I think this will help you with the essay portion of the MMI. Top 45 is great, but you want it to be stronger.

Since you know what the MMI is like you know the questions from the Rollin's book will be super helpful so just keep practicing with those. I practiced and practiced and practiced. I talked over situations with my parents, my friends, colleagues...I also timed myself - 2 minutes to read, 5 minutes to speak my views. I made sure there were a couple of scenarios from Roullin's book that were new to me so that I couldn't memorize the answers for the timed questions. Mimic the MMI as best you can - have a friend with 10 scenarios and go through them one after the other. Make them act like an interviewer. Nerves can play a big part so just relax and have fun. Remember to smile, shake the interviewers hands, thank them at the end, and shake their hands again. When I did the MMI I thought about the scenarios like Rollin outlined - Who are the stakeholders? Client - Public - Patient - Veterinarian. If you can come up with how the scenario will affect these four stakeholders and then outline the pros/cons of the possible options you are on your way. Its not as if there is always one correct answer, and you can even highlight this fact. They want to see your reasoning skills. You should try to pick a firm decision in as many scenarios as you can, but it isn't wrong to outline multiple possible scenarios before picking one. Don't forget to dress well! Hope to see you in the spring Squishes :)

Hi guys! I'm new here, but have been following threads for a while. I'm applying to WCVM for the second time this year as a BC applicant. I did not get an interview last year as I was number 56 on the list, meaning I have some work to do on my GPA. Just wondering if someone else has been this far up the list and been able to score an interview in the past? Thanks!!

Just a thought...BC is very competitive have you thought about moving? I was like 70-something on WCVM's list and I got into UCVM. You might have a better shot at it from another less competitive province. I know you are probably really keen on WCVM but it doesn't hurt to put more some eggs in another basket by becoming an AB resident. I know it isn't always feasible to move, so I can understand if this isn't an option but it can be done this way!

Just a thought...BC is very competitive have you thought about moving? I was like 70-something on WCVM's list and I got into UCVM. You might have a better shot at it from another less competitive province. I know you are probably really keen on WCVM but it doesn't hurt to put more some eggs in another basket by becoming an AB resident. I know it isn't always feasible to move, so I can understand if this isn't an option but it can be done this way!

Thank you for the advice! :) How are you liking UCVM so far? What year are you in?

Good friends with capucinus up there haha, and I agree with what she said!

I mean I know people who have changed their residency over to AB so they could apply for two schools, so you might want to consider that! Come over here, work a year/volunteer at a vet clinic/ranch/farm, and you're golden!

If you got the interview, that means your GPA isn't, or shouldn't, be the limiting factor here out of your entire application! For the MMI, I used Rollin's book as well as practiced MMI questions every day. It helped that a lot of my friends were/are going for med school so I practiced with them as well. For the essay, I reckon they mark more on how eloquently you express yourself rather than the content itself.

Out of the 10 pre-req courses, how many do you think were "below" average? If you think they affected your application significantly, it might not be a bad idea to retake them, but also be a full time student this year because they look at the last 2 years, and if you take your pre-req courses again and add a bunch of fluff courses to boost up your GPA, it might be worthwhile. However, I do agree that the MMI is the largest part here. I suggest that you come up with some sort of structure to help yourself through each question in the MMI, such as a intro-present ideas from both sides of the argument-choose your stance-explain why-conclude, something like that. Of course, not always will you have a "Choose A or B" question, you might be asked what you would do in a situation and such.

I would have to agree with the 10 pre-req retake. If there are a couple that are sub-par, retake those, and ensure you have a full course load.

As for WCVM, you know, I'm not sure! I re-took chemistry for the above reason. I then filled my course load with things I could apply to a second degree. I also took things I would enjoy taking, since studying for those would be easier than I course I didn't enjoy! So, I took 3rd and 4th year level courses... And Spanish. But that's just me!

I established residency in AB and applied to both school. But BC and AB are both provinces with high competition. If you think you can ace the MMI and essay, I'd say go for it! If you're more comfortable in the panel-of-three interview, transferring to SK or MB will give you a better shot.

Several in my class are from BC/AB transferred to SK.

Hey guys! First time applicant to WCVM here! I was surprised there was not anywhere on the application to list hours of work/volunteer experience. The only thing is the list of past jobs (but they don't ask for number of hours) and the 200 word paragraph about volunteer experience. Is this normal? Also, if I were to explain that the reason my grades are slightly low is because I've been taking 15 credits and working 30 hours a week excluding volunteer time would that be beneficial or is that more expected. I know I have only 250 words for my statement, but maybe a sentence about why my gpa is lower then average applicants might help?

Hey guys! First time applicant to WCVM here! I was surprised there was not anywhere on the application to list hours of work/volunteer experience. The only thing is the list of past jobs (but they don't ask for number of hours) and the 200 word paragraph about volunteer experience. Is this normal? Also, if I were to explain that the reason my grades are slightly low is because I've been taking 15 credits and working 30 hours a week excluding volunteer time would that be beneficial or is that more expected. I know I have only 250 words for my statement, but maybe a sentence about why my gpa is lower then average applicants might help?

Hi there! For your WCVM application, you list your hours of work/volunteer experience with animals or a veterinarian in the box that says "what experience do you have related to animals and veterinary medicine." Then you list all other non-academic experiences under the box that says "what extracurricular or community activities have you participated in during college." Basically list all your volunteer and work experiences in these two boxes.

Also, I would not try to justify why your grades may be lower because 1) you don't know if this will be true in the applicant pool, and 2) you can explain that you worked 30 hours/week and did full-time classes in your interview if you receive one. But if I were you, I would put that I worked work 30hrs/week during a full-course load year in the box that says "what extracurricular or community activities have you participated in during college," because employment should be considered an extracurricular activity during the school year.

Thank you for the advice! :) How are you liking UCVM so far? What year are you in?

First year, just started but I really am enjoying it. We get a lot of hands on with the animals from week one and I am getting a good feel for what is expected. My class is really awesome and we work really well together. I also LOVE the small class sizes just 31 of us, I couldn't imagine doing the things we get to do with larger class size. This isn't something to just pass off as a trivial upside, UCVM small class sizes are really incredible. Its not unusual for staff to give you one-on-one after hours help if you ask. I don't know about WCVM but we also have a class dedicated each week, in years 1-3, to working with simulated clients. During these weekly sessions we work through different scenarios with a mentor and simulated client to try and develop our professional skills. This class is so incredible at preparing us for working with clients and their pets. So I would definitely put that as a plus for UCVM. The other thing about UCVM is we don't have a teaching hospital. We still get a lot of experience in the class room but in 4th year we do rotations mostly within the greater Alberta community. I wouldn't say one way is better than the other, they are just different. So just think about which one - teaching hospital or community rotations - might suit your learning style. I really like the idea of going out and working with veterinarians in AB because I see AB as my home - if I can establish myself in this community before I graduate I hope I can get a job working with people who I already know who will support me in my first years of practice.

The only thing that I am pretty envious of WCVM students is I hear they have protected student time on Wednesday afternoons...that would make getting chores/appointments done a little easier. Our protected student times are hap-hazardly spread throughout the semester.

First year, just started but I really am enjoying it. We get a lot of hands on with the animals from week one and I am getting a good feel for what is expected. My class is really awesome and we work really well together. I also LOVE the small class sizes just 31 of us, I couldn't imagine doing the things we get to do with larger class size. This isn't something to just pass off as a trivial upside, UCVM small class sizes are really incredible. Its not unusual for staff to give you one-on-one after hours help if you ask. I don't know about WCVM but we also have a class dedicated each week, in years 1-3, to working with simulated clients. During these weekly sessions we work through different scenarios with a mentor and simulated client to try and develop our professional skills. This class is so incredible at preparing us for working with clients and their pets. So I would definitely put that as a plus for UCVM. The other thing about UCVM is we don't have a teaching hospital. We still get a lot of experience in the class room but in 4th year we do rotations mostly within the greater Alberta community. I wouldn't say one way is better than the other, they are just different. So just think about which one - teaching hospital or community rotations - might suit your learning style. I really like the idea of going out and working with veterinarians in AB because I see AB as my home - if I can establish myself in this community before I graduate I hope I can get a job working with people who I already know who will support me in my first years of practice.

Wow, thank you so much for the insight. I am really keen on WCVM because I am a BC applicant, but you are making me want to move to Alberta now... UCVM sounds incredible and its great to hear that is has met your expectations in a lot of ways. It sounds like you have a good plan with establishing yourself in AB too and that way you have a plan right after you graduate to obtain a job. Smart thinking! :)

Welcome to the forum!!

I think everyone has already put in some replies regarding this. Unfortunately, interviews are still handed out based on GPA, so despite still needing to work and pay for all this school, it's not really taken into consideration for interview invites! That being said, if you get an interview then for sure talk about your work experience! That conflict with a co-worker question has come up in every interview I've had.

Good luck with the rest of your application!

The only thing that I am pretty envious of WCVM students is I hear they have protected student time on Wednesday afternoons...that would make getting chores/appointments done a little easier. Our protected student times are hap-hazardly spread throughout the semester.

LOL'd at protected student time! Yes for sure! It's sacred! ;) Until you hit 4th year and then you have no life, but hey! We didn't sign up for a job where we sit around and do nothing, right?? ;)

Yes, WCVMers who visited UCVM last year were jealous that client communication classes started in first year. We don't get that until 3rd year.

One friend I have chose to come to WCVM over UCVM because of the teaching hospital. I think this person may decide to specialize in the future, so we certainly benefit in that aspect.

But the majority of people go in to GP, so UCVM, especially Alberta bred, may benefit on that networking ability prior to graduation. Small animal practices in Calgary, I know are pretty saturated so getting that networking opportunity would certainly help in finding a job afterwards. And same with small animal practice in Saskatoon. But if you want to go back to BC afterwards, spending your summers working close to home would benefit you.

The networking opportunity offered by UCVM is great but I honestly feel like a teaching hospital's value is often underestimated. I had a friend who went to vet school at UCVM and ended up doing a rotating internship at WCVM, and he mentioned that he was surprised because he learned a lot of things that were wrong during his rotations in fourth year, and he never would've known the correct way if he hadn't done an academic internship. I'm at a private practice right now and we occasionally have students rotate through our service. We honestly try to give them an amazing rotation and let them do and learn as much as we can but it just cannot compare to a similar rotation in academia. I have done rotations as a fourth year student in the teaching hospital at WCVM, and in private practice, and have taught students at a teaching hospital, and in private practice, and the students at teaching hospitals get so much more responsibility and duties and didactic rounds that just isn't there in private practice, and can't be there because of the way private practices have to function. Trust me, having a teaching hospital doesn't seem like much when you're going through it but it really does give their students a lot of opportunity and education.

Reactions: 2 users
I would second the value of a teaching hospital. In real life, unfortunately we don't always get to practice the "gold standard" of medicine, and the quality of medicine in different clinics can certainly vary a lot. The benefit of a teaching hospital is at least you know what standard to strive toward and to offer the client.

While there is value in networking through rotations, most vet students work during the summers and find jobs this route as well. I went to WCVM and don't know any classmates that had too many problems finding jobs where they wanted.

All that being said, I have worked with graduates from both schools and generally have found them all to be great vets. Ultimately, it's probably less what school you attend and more how much you apply yourself towards your education/career.

Last edited:
I met with ABVMA board members, and I asked them if they found UCVMers to have an advantage over WCVMers because of that networking opportunity.

One response was, we need to remember that most of them graduated from WCVM. So, she didn't feel one had an advantage over the other.

I say, if you have the opportunity to apply to both, do it! Sure, you may have to move for four years, but that may open more opportunities in the future. The beauty of this career is that there are soooo many different paths to follow.

Hey guys!

I'm back! Second time BC applicant to WCVM. I got a second round interview last year just barely (I think I might have been on the bottom of the list) and did it in Saskatoon. I did pretty well on my interview and increased my rank by ten positions, but it still wasn't enough to get in. Even though I have completed my degree, I am taking more classes to increase my GPA and am also working part/full time at a clinic. If you guys have any questions about the process as a BC applicant with not the greatest grades, let me know :).

I'm back! Second time BC applicant to WCVM. I got a second round interview last year just barely (I think I might have been on the bottom of the list) and did it in Saskatoon. I did pretty well on my interview and increased my rank by ten positions, but it still wasn't enough to get in. Even though I have completed my degree, I am taking more classes to increase my GPA and am also working part/full time at a clinic. If you guys have any questions about the process as a BC applicant with not the greatest grades, let me know :).

Hello! I hope you get in this year! Could you share what kind of feedback the admissions committee gave you, or were they not very helpful? Do you mind sharing tips for interviews considering yours went very good?

Hey guys!

Hey! Awesome to see you back!! :D I'm sure you're gonna kill it this year!

First year WCVM student here. Went through the application process for UCVM and WCVM last year so if y'all have any questions about interviews or first year I'd be happy to help as well.

Reactions: 2 users
First year WCVM student here. Went through the application process for UCVM and WCVM last year so if y'all have any questions about interviews or first year I'd be happy to help as well.

Hi SunnyAntia! How is first year at WCVM going? Are you liking most of your classes? How are the professors?

Hello! I hope you get in this year! Could you share what kind of feedback the admissions committee gave you, or were they not very helpful? Do you mind sharing tips for interviews considering yours went very good?

To be honest, the feedback from the admissions committee wasn't the most helpful. It was mostly "you can get more large animal experience (I have none) and learn a bit more about the veterinary profession (I couldn't tell them in detail what chicken vets do), but what you really need to improve on is your grades". After sitting on it for a few days and having a good mope about the whole thing, I emailed Heather to ask her for a more specific breakdown. That was when she told me my academic ranking (which was below 40- I only got an interview because people above me refused) and then my overall score with my interview. Knowing that really helped me decide what to do this year, so here I am taking even more classes!

Last edited:

Hi!! Glad to see you back here, too! How is WCVM treating you? Are you enjoying Saskatoon?

To be honest, the feedback from the admissions committee wasn't the most helpful. It was mostly "you can get more large animal experience (I have none) and learn a bit more about the veterinary profession (I couldn't tell them in detail what chicken vets do), but what you really need to improve on is your grades". After sitting on it for a few days and having a good mope about the whole thing, I emailed Heather to ask her for a more specific breakdown. That was when she told me my academic ranking (which was below 40- I only got an interview because people above me refused) and then my overall score with my interview. Knowing that really helped me decide what to do this year, so here I am taking even more classes!

For reference, my average last year was between 83-84% with the calculation they do for admission (2/3 overall and 1/3 best year). That being said, the applicant pool changes every year so that number doesn't mean too much for this round. I used to scan these threads for so long looking for some sort of reference towards my own grades and the success of the applicants- now I can finally contribute to all of the other lurkers who are doing the same thing! :hello:

Thank you so much - that was extremely helpful! And thank you for the GPA reference, I also was one of those people lurking around for an answer before.

Hi SunnyAntia! How is first year at WCVM going? Are you liking most of your classes? How are the professors?

Hi!! Glad to see you back here, too! How is WCVM treating you? Are you enjoying Saskatoon?

Saskatoon is pretty nice! It hasn't gotten that cold yet so i'm sure my answer will probably change come January ;) but so far so good!

We just finished our first round of midterms and I gotta say it's been a really tough month. Just the sheer amount of information is daunting (they compared it to trying to drink from a fire hose during our orientation and that's actually turned out to be pretty accurate) It's a ton of work, and I think I may have spent more time at school within the past two months than I did my entire fourth year of undergrad. That being said it's also been an amazing experience and I feel incredibly grateful to be here. I know it's only going to get worse come next year, I live with a couple of second years and they seriously have like two tests a week from now until the end of eternity, so I probably shouldn't be complaining

We are only a few months in so I'm sure a lot of things will change throughout the rest of the year, but so far most of the classes are really interesting. I'll say I could definitely do without Biochem...and I'll leave it at that :p the profs do their best to try and help you learn an incredibly large amount of material in a short period of time, and most of them give you opportunities to seek extra help and clarification if you don't understand something. There are some profs that I really enjoy and some that aren't my favorite, but I think that's also a lot up to personal preference and the type of teaching/learning style you work best with. It's the same with classes, I'm struggling a lot with anatomy but a lot of my classmates are loving it!

As someone who's had problems with homesickness in the past I was really worried I wouldn't like living here by myself, but you get so close with your classmates so quickly. I feel like I have a second family here in Saskatoon made up of vet students

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing your first year experience. It's great to hear that its been an amazing experience so far (despite all the exams). Just think.. in less than four years you will be a vet!! :D

Hey guys!

Awesome! Sounds like you have a good chance this year! Good luck!

We are only a few months in so far so I'm sure a lot of things will change throughout the rest of the year, but so far most of the classes are really great. I'll say I could definitely do without Biochem...and I'll leave it at that haha :p the profs do their best to try and help you learn an incredibly large amount of material in a short period of time, and they give you lots of opportunities to seek extra help and clarification if you don't understand something. There are some profs that I really enjoy and some that aren't my favorite, but that's also a lot up to personal preference and the type of teaching style you work best with. It's the same with classes, i'm struggling a lot with anatomy but a lot of my classmates are loving it!

I liked anatomy, and did fairly well at it so if you need help with anything, feel free to PM me!

And as for classes - they get better every year! Yes, second year you are always writing an exam, but content is more interesting. Annnnd... No biochem! ;)

Hey, I have a question for all of you repeat applicants (@LeilaFay )...

When you filled out your application after the first time, how did you alter it between years? Obviously some parts of it will change, but parts like my statement have not- my reasons for wanting to be a veterinarian haven't changed since last year and I doubt they ever will. Is the committee able to see what you wrote in previous years? I wouldn't want to be branded as a copy-paster!

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the interview format is for WCVM? MMI? Written assignment?

Any information would be appreciated.

The interview for WCVM is a panel interview, not MMI. Other than that, no idea haha, I didn't apply!

When you filled out your application after the first time, how did you alter it between years? Obviously some parts of it will change, but parts like my statement have not- my reasons for wanting to be a veterinarian haven't changed since last year and I doubt they ever will. Is the committee able to see what you wrote in previous years? I wouldn't want to be branded as a copy-paster!

Nope! The committee has no idea what you wrote, whether it's your first year or seventh year applying, unless you tell them during your interview or on your current application.

Good luck!

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the interview format is for WCVM? MMI? Written assignment?

Any information would be appreciated.

Exactly DPolaris says, not currently MMI, still a panel of three veterinarians. No written component, unless things have changed in the past 3 years... Which I have no word of from the "inside" ;)

Good luck to everyone who submitted their WCVM applications today! Let the waiting games begin ;).

I was just thinking the same thing. It feels good to send it in and be over with now. Good luck everyone applying this year!

Good luck everyone!!

I applied multiple times, and I always made sure to vary up my applicant statement each time. I wasn't sure whether they would compare things year-to-year, but just in case, I took it as an opportunity to approach things from a different angle. Also, as the years went by, my experience and perspective changed, and I found that made a big difference in my statement.