WCVM/UCVM c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much capucinus1, super helpful! I am excited for all the orientation and beginning of the year events. I am staying around all summer and my tentative vacation plans are actually for the Christmas break. The confusion comes in for me where the academic calendar says that winter term 2017 starts January 2nd whereas classes start January 9th. I was planning on being gone up until about the 7th so the whole block week thing is kinda throwing me off haha. Are the block week field trips mandatory? Maybe you could clarify this? I will also read through the orientation package when it arrives to get a better idea. Thanks again!

If your year is like our year than you will need to be present for both block weeks (Sept & Jan) as you will be taking a *mandatory course* during this time that is largely based on field trips. During this course you will be expected to complete assignments and quizzes...you will also go on field trips which are not only a lot of fun, but very informative. You cannot skip this class. For now I would avoid finalizing any kind of travel plans for the winter break...at least until you have your schedule confirmed. Your year could be different, but for now I would err on the side of caution and not book anything.

Members don't see this ad.

:) I got waitlisted for UCVM! Congrats to all the people who have gotten accepted. I'm excited to potentially meet all of you! I called the Admissions Office and unfortunately they couldn't tell me what number on the list I was until they got a clearer picture of what the accepted class looked like. From what I heard, the accepted candidates have until June 13th (4 PM) to accept or reject their offer so I'm guessing hopefully all the waitlisted people will know their numbers shortly after that? Additionally, they also said that waitlisted people will get an e-mail sometime in the future with more information.

This was my first time applying and I went into interviews prepped for something totally different than what actually happened. Regardless I am so happy that I've even been considered to be waitlisted since I thought my interview was a disaster. For everyone else that has been waitlisted, chin up buttercups! I know it's going to be stressful trying to go through the days always wondering if we'll get in or not but this is a big feat to have conquered regardless! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was definitely interesting!!! Congrats to the waitlisters!

Congratulations to everyone who got in, and chin up to all the waitlisters. I was called off the waitlist when I got in, so it does happen. :) Can't wait to meet you guys!

Huge congratulations to all the waitlisters/those who got in! The list is getting long enough that I don't know who all to tag haha

Also, good luck for those waiting on WCVM; hopefully we can have good news for everyone this year! (We don't have a bad turnout so far ;) )

Hi everybody! I just joined SDN, but have been reading the posts for a while. I have also been accepted to UCVM (got the call Saturday as well). :) Is anybody else super excited/anxious to get the information package?!

PS. Congrats to everybody who has been accepted or wait listed!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone from Alberta heard from WCVM yet? Congratulations to all of the UVCMers who got good news :)!

Has anyone from Alberta heard from WCVM yet? Congratulations to all of the UVCMers who got good news :)!

I don't know anyone personally, but I've seen friends of my Alberta classmates posting on social media about receiving calls yesterday! :) Hopefully that means everyone else will be finding out pretty soon!

@SunnyAntia Hey Sunny! Good to see you here! So people have gotten calls? You didn't get one last year, right? Do you know if anyone else did?

@SunnyAntia Hey Sunny! Good to see you here! So people have gotten calls? You didn't get one last year, right? Do you know if anyone else did?

Hey Noodle, thanks! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!! :D

Last year they ended up calling Alberta people on the same day that the results were posted (I've heard of this happening in previous years as well, but I don't think it's the norm) so when the Dean phoned me I had already seen that I had been accepted. It made opening the results even more agonizing as you just assume when you don't get a call that you didn't get in, but it just goes to show that you can never count on things being too predictable haha things can get changed up a lot from year to year.

I have no idea how long it takes them to call the successful Alberta people or whether or not they would be spreading them out over yesterday and today, but if you are an Alberta person and you haven't received a call yet (for UCVM or WCVM) do not lose hope! There is still the waitlist, and with there being two vet schools the Alberta waitlist can really move a lot!

Hey Noodle, thanks! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!! :D

Last year they ended up calling Alberta people on the same day that the results were posted (I've heard of this happening in previous years as well, but I don't think it's the norm) so when the Dean phoned me I had already seen that I had been accepted. It made opening the results even more agonizing as you just assume when you don't get a call that you didn't get in, but it just goes to show that you can never count on things being too predictable haha things can get changed up a lot from year to year.

I have no idea how long it takes them to call the successful Alberta people or whether or not they would be spreading them out over yesterday and today, but if you are an Alberta person and you haven't received a call yet (for UCVM or WCVM) do not lose hope! There is still the waitlist, and with there being two vet schools the Alberta waitlist can really move a lot!

Thank you!! Maybe that means the letters will come out sooner. They said it will be Friday, but if I remember correctly, they came out a little earlier than what the portal said last year. Am I right? Or is all of this stress making me lose my mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Current UCVMers! While we are all waiting with out fingers crossed for the WCVMers, I have a bit of a random question. I have an old, clunky, weighs-20-lbs laptop right now that I want to replace before I start into classes. From experience, if you could buy a new computer what would you buy with vet school currently in mind? I was thinking maybe something like a Surface Pro or one of those flippable laptop things. Also possibly a Macbook, though I've never used one and sometimes the compatibility issues scare me with school work (unless one of you has one and it's worked well for vet school!)

I'm doing some research now so I can figure out what I want before semester starts. Also, sorry if this is super off-topic, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (And anyone who used any of the above for general university too! I've only ever had huge laptops so never used it for taking notes in class or whatever)

Hey Current UCVMers! While we are all waiting with out fingers crossed for the WCVMers, I have a bit of a random question. I have an old, clunky, weighs-20-lbs laptop right now that I want to replace before I start into classes. From experience, if you could buy a new computer what would you buy with vet school currently in mind? I was thinking maybe something like a Surface Pro or one of those flippable laptop things. Also possibly a Macbook, though I've never used one and sometimes the compatibility issues scare me with school work (unless one of you has one and it's worked well for vet school!)

I'm doing some research now so I can figure out what I want before semester starts. Also, sorry if this is super off-topic, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (And anyone who used any of the above for general university too! I've only ever had huge laptops so never used it for taking notes in class or whatever)
I'm not in vet school, but I bought the Dell XPS 13 for undergrad and am in love with it. Screen is a lot larger than most 13'' laptops, fast, super thin and light, and perfect to cart around campus or do work anywhere. I got it on sale at Costco for I think 1100? I feel like it was originally 1200. Worth every cent in my opinion.

If you do go the Mac route, don't worry about compatibility... I know more than a few tricks I'd be happy to share ;) I've got a 2010-ish MacBook Pro I've been using for all of undergrad, and probably will be bringing it down with me! Unless I spring for a new one, that is!

Congrats!!! :) I'm not a UCVM but as a current WCVM student I can't sing enough praises for my Surface Pro 3. Being able to use it as a tablet or a laptop and especially being able to perfectly handwrite all my notes on to it makes it the best option in my opinion. Unlike touch-screens that use styluses, the Surface Pen is so well synced that my writing looks exactly the same as when I'm writing on paper. And using OneNote means I can download notes from the school webpage, write my own stuff all over them, and then access them from any computer anywhere via OneDrive without even having to take my computer with me. I definitely would recommend Surface!!! :)

I got wait listed for WCVM. I'm pretty happy with that given it was my first time applying and interviewing.

I'm just emailing to see where I sit on the wait list.

Has anyone else heard back?

Reactions: 1 user
I GOT IN TO WCVM!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to successful and waitlisted WCVM applicants!! Enjoy that amazing feeling!

Just a shout out to those of you who didn't get the news you wanted this year: I know it's the worst feeling to be rejected - especially if you have tried before. I applied 3 times to UCVM before I made it in and 2 to WCVM. I was thrilled to be accepted by UCVM but realized how hard the past times of not being successful were. It's difficult to not know what your next year is going to look like or whether you'll ever be accepted. BUT...don't give up!! The pool can change drastically each year and it is an incredibly competitive program to be accepted to. My advice would be to keep building yourself up and enjoy spending time with animalsand vets so you can learn as much as you can. Immerse yourself in a work or volunteer opportunity that allows for personal growth so that 1) you can speak more confidently on any issue or topic and 2) when you get accepted, you will be a more well-rounded individual up for the task. Although I faced some rejections in the past, I do feel like my time came to do this at the right time and that I am much more prepared now. I had an opportunity to work for a year after my degree in an animal-related field and I will take the experience with me as I move forward.

Anyway, don't lose hope and keep growing in the meantime. Also, don't be afraid to have some fun and enjoy yourself! The wait is over and now you can relax!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who got in this year! I got in WCVM! I want to let the people who were rejected this year know that this is my 7th time applying, with 4th interview--So DON'T GIVE UP! As long as you are improving every single application, you will get in one day.

On a side note, I was looking into bursary information on WCVM website but lots of the links seem to be down. Does anyone know if one can only apply for bursaries if one has student loan? Super confused about the whole application process...any help is appreciated.

Can't wait to meet all of you in August!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone wanting to do small animal medicine and has the choice of WCVM and UCVM should definitely opt for WCVM. From what I've heard UCVM doesn't give you much training for small animal at all.

Anyone wanting to do small animal medicine and has the choice of WCVM and UCVM should definitely opt for WCVM. From what I've heard UCVM doesn't give you much training for small animal at all.

I have also heard this, and was part of the reason I wanted to go to UCVM ;) Good advice!

Congrats everyone!!! 1st post with SDN, and I was accepted to WCVM for this fall !! I'm from Vancouver Island, any fellow islanders heading there this year??

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody gotten their orientation packages from UCVM yet?? I'm getting way too excited!

Does anyone know when WCVM packages came last year? Did they get mailed or emailed? I can't wait!!

Also, any luck for our waitlisters?

I'm super keen and love textbooks soo.... Any current UCVM students have any insight into what textbooks we might need/want? I've already got the following, some from undergrad classes and some just from my own interest:
  • Dyce anatomy
  • Pasquini's anatomy
  • Duke's physiology (though I hear that you guys use the Cunningham physio book?)
  • Principles of Human Physiology by Stanfield
  • Pathways To Pregnancy and Parturition by Senger
  • Vet Anatomy Colouring Book by Saunders
  • Plus other random stuff for chem, bio, ochem and the like
Any help would be much appreciated!

I would hold off buying any textbooks...I used Dyce & Dissection of the Dog quite a bit but there are like a million copies available at the school. Didn't even have time (or need) to crack open any the others. Many people also used the colouring book. You won't need any of your chem, bio, ochem etc from undergrad. My advice is to save your money and don't buy any textbooks, wait until Fall and it will all work out. If you really want them, a list will be made available in your classes...and previous students tend to sell theirs at a discount around that time.

Has anybody gotten their orientation packages from UCVM yet?? I'm getting way too excited!

When I called to confirm that they got my form/deposit, I asked and they said welcome packages are not going out until mid-July! Its going to be so hard to wait until then!

GUYS! I just got the call 30 minutes ago that I got in to UCVM from the wait list!! I AM SO EXCITED! I can't wait to meet everyone! Fingers crossed for the others on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
GUYS! I just got the call 30 minutes ago that I got in to UCVM from the wait list!! I AM SO EXCITED! I can't wait to meet everyone! Fingers crossed for the others on the waitlist!

Congrats @annejoyi!!!!!! Can't wait to meet you :)

I would hold off buying any textbooks...I used Dyce & Dissection of the Dog quite a bit but there are like a million copies available at the school. Didn't even have time (or need) to crack open any the others. Many people also used the colouring book. You won't need any of your chem, bio, ochem etc from undergrad. My advice is to save your money and don't buy any textbooks, wait until Fall and it will all work out. If you really want them, a list will be made available in your classes...and previous students tend to sell theirs at a discount around that time.

Thanks Cap! I'm a bit surprised that previous students sell their textbooks... Seems to me like those would be useful throughout your career, at least to have on hand as a reference. Good to know :)

Congrats @annejoyi!!!!!! Can't wait to meet you :)

Thanks Cap! I'm a bit surprised that previous students sell their textbooks... Seems to me like those would be useful throughout your career, at least to have on hand as a reference. Good to know :)

Depends on your specialty, personal preferences (e.g. hard copy vs. digital copy)...there are certain texts that I se Vets use a lot in their every day practice, but they tend to be the reference books or books that would come up more in 3rd year (e.g. approaches to surgery techniques, internal medicine). Honestly so much of the basic information is available online now. No one wants to lug around hundreds of pounds of books when they all can fit nicely onto a small external USB drive. I plan on selling as many of my books as I can except perhaps Dyce & Dissection of the Dog.

Also as you can see the class lists have not been finalized since two more people just got into UCVM...I don't think they will be sending out first year orientation packages until that time. So expect to wait a few more weeks!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Finally decided to join the forum. I will be attending UCVM in the fall and I am super excited to meet everyone! I can't wait to receive our welcome packages!

Reactions: 1 users
Woohoo! Can't wait to meet both of you guys, purr and floatintruth! Congrats!

The Accept/Decline button is up on my.calgary. Hopefully we get some info packages shortly!

It has been a little while, so I thought I would just check in with everyone.

How is prepping for school going, and the housing situation looking (for those of you that didn't already live near the schools)?

1 month until classes ;)

I'm going into 3rd year at UCVM. The majority of my class has MacBooks (myself included). Don't worry about compatibility issues, just make sure you have the Microsoft Office package so you have Microsoft Word (since you'll need that for handing in your PSkills journals). You will only use Excel once a year for your business project and it only uses basic formulas so you can get by easy enough with the crappy Microsoft Excel on macs.
Most people use Notability or Microsoft OneNote for class notes, both of which work fine on MacBooks (I have used both and prefer Notability).
My MacBook is 5 years old now, so I'm biting the bullet and getting an iPad Pro for everyday note taking. This should hopefully allow my MacBook to survive until after I write the NAVLE. I'll basically only use it for when I need to write something on Microsoft Word. Much of my class has taken this strategy of using an iPad everyday and then only using their MacBook when they need to write something on Word or to put together a powerpoint.

I'm super keen and love textbooks soo.... Any current UCVM students have any insight into what textbooks we might need/want? I've already got the following, some from undergrad classes and some just from my own interest:
  • Dyce anatomy
  • Pasquini's anatomy
  • Duke's physiology (though I hear that you guys use the Cunningham physio book?)
  • Principles of Human Physiology by Stanfield
  • Pathways To Pregnancy and Parturition by Senger
  • Vet Anatomy Colouring Book by Saunders
  • Plus other random stuff for chem, bio, ochem and the like
Any help would be much appreciated!

I used to be a textbook ***** too. UCVM ruined that, sadly. Except for anatomy, you don't need any textbooks. Lots of my classmates didn't even use their Dyce book (although I suggest you do, since McCorkell will pull questions from there that he won't talk about in class or in the anatomy podcasts *hint hint*).
I lightly used Cunninghams for physiology. It is quite a good book, but I only used it in cases where the class slides had overly confusing diagrams or when I didn't understand a concept. Your class will get a usb passed around from upper years with about a hundred vet texts all in pdf. (including Cunninghams), so I wouldn't bother purchasing it yet unless you find that you are using the pdf version a lot.
Usually upper years sell a lot of first year texts that they bought and never used in September on UCVM Marketplace. I wouldn't suggest any firsties purchase new books since there will be a lot of never-used books for cheap.

Just wanted to congratulate the UCVM 2020s. I've been following the pictures on Twitter from last night, and even though it's going to be a while I can't wait to meet you all!