Weak NBME - Should I take USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el mero mero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've been primarily a lurker for a few years, but I could really use some other people's opinions...

7 weeks out and I took NBME 11 and I got a 193.

I haven't signed up the USMLE yet, because I was waiting to see how I would do on it.
It's great thinking I would pass the real thing, but the low score is disconcerting.
Right now I'm interested in IM/ER and maybe FM.

Should I take the USMLE?
My concern is a low USMLE would hurt me at DO friendly programs that are numerous in the state that I will most likely be in.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I've been primarily a lurker for a few years, but I could really use some other people's opinions...

I haven't signed up the USMLE yet, because I was waiting to see how I would do on it.
It's great thinking I would pass the real thing, but the low score is disconcerting.

Should I take the USMLE?
My concern is a low USMLE would hurt me at DO friendly programs that are numerous in the state that I will most likely be in.
Thanks!

Your 7 weeks out....

Should I take the USMLE?
Thanks!

You have plenty of time, don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Should I take the USMLE?
Thanks!

Postpone it. You're absolutely not ready.

:thumbup:

Should I take the USMLE?
Thanks!

Take another NBME in a couple of weeks, you still have plenty of time.

Should I take the USMLE?
Thanks!

I was way lower something like 150-60, with 6 weeks out. I then signed up for DIT and scored a bit above the average and matched ACGME anesthesia. Took until the last two weeks of studying to have my NBMEs at an acceptable level. Keep at it, work hard, make it happen.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it!

I wanted to get some other thoughts on it.
I signed up to take the USMLE.

Should I take the USMLE?
Thanks!

Jesus... 7 weeks out... I didn't use that much time to study.

The real question is how much have you done. If you're just starting, you'll be fine. If you have been working for a few weeks, you are going to hit diminishing returns

523/233
I didn't "kill it" and that score is basically failing by SDN standards, but I'm really happy I took both.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone

I took COMLEX and USMLE 1 just to make sure I wasn't closing any doors. Did I smoke the USMLE (225)? no. Definitely not. The only thing we ask is that you pass. I think you will be just fine. Keep your nose to the grindstone for the next several weeks and rock it out.