Wear your white coat to traffic court?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wear your white coat to traffic court?

• Yes - greater chance they'll dismiss the ticket

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No - transparent ploy

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Won't make a difference, all things being equal

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
If you worked as a clown, would you wear your clown suit?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shocked this is an actual thread on EM forums.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, would think you were trolling if you hadn't posted on here so much.

This MIGHT work, but there is no way in hell I'd do it.

You are right, that in general people get off the hook or warnings for working in an ER, but you have to find a way to bring it up that is a little smoother. I've heard a ton of stories of the expectation of being let off making things worse for people.

The last ticket I received I was going MUCH faster than I should've. I mentioned that I was running late to go work in the ER, he very politely replied - "I'll be sure to write the ticket quickly." I mentioned that I have never received a warning or gotten off the hook and he said he understood but "hey, you were going 57 in a 35 (it had just changed from a 55)". Nothing to say after that.

I got a lawyer and he got it reduced and he did mention that I was an upstanding member of the community and a physician to the prosecutor. Probably would've been the same outcome either way.

I've always found it shocking that we expect to get off because of our job. Yes, I consider myself on the same "team" as the police and if they are in the ER (personally or with a prisoner) I try to see them quickly if I can without endangering the safety of others. They always appreciate it, but never expect it. I figure we should do the same - appreciate help if they offer but not expect it.

In my case, I WAS speeding and I deserved the ticket. I don't really understand when people get mad about tickets. The rules are clear, if you decide to break them, occasionally there will be a consequence. This is no different that a smoking, hypertensive, diabetic being pissed at me when he has an MI.

Wow, would think you were trolling if you hadn't posted on here so much.

I am genuinely puzzled by this response. I thought it was a valid question.

I've always found it shocking that we expect to get off because of our job. Yes, I consider myself on the same "team" as the police and if they are in the ER (personally or with a prisoner) I try to see them quickly if I can without endangering the safety of others. They always appreciate it, but never expect it. I figure we should do the same - appreciate help if they offer but not expect it.

That's true, although physicians and law enforcement seem to be a special case. We have MD license plates that people obtain in large part to deter parking tickets/speeding tickets/etc. (I have several relatives who go this route and have avoided some pretty hefty fines.) Wasn't sure if wearing the white coat to court was really much of a stretch.

We have MD license plates that people obtain in large part to deter parking tickets/speeding tickets/etc.

In the trade-off between possibly getting out of a $200 ticket and driving around with a big sign that people will interpret as "I have lots of money. Please run into my car and try to make it look like my fault so you can sue me for millions.", I think I would take the traffic ticket.

Not to mention the crazies who think that a physician's car must be stuffed with narcotics.

Remember, people act on what they perceive reality to be. The fact that their perception is delusional doesn't change that.

In the trade-off between possibly getting out of a $200 ticket and driving around with a big sign that people will interpret as "I have lots of money. Please run into my car and try to make it look like my fault so you can sue me for millions.", I think I would take the traffic ticket.

Not to mention the crazies who think that a physician's car must be stuffed with narcotics.

I agree, and this is exactly why I don't have MD plates. But the point remains, it seems (anecdotally) to be effective.

When I went to traffic court last year I was the only man in the room without a neck tattoo. No need to wear a white coat to stand out in the New Orleans judicial system.

Reactions: 2 users
I am genuinely puzzled by this response. I thought it was a valid question.

Maybe I'm the one who has a different perception but to me even asking this question is crazy. Wearing your white coat to court isn't a stretch - to me, it goes FAR beyond social norms. Instead of a stretch, it's a huge leap. I wouldn't be surprised if the judge didn't ask you why you wore it and then go on to ridicule you in front of the whole court.

This is like wearing your white coat to the bar at 1am hoping it will increase your chances of getting laid. Yes, it might work but half the bar will think you're an ass. If you only care about getting laid once (or getting out of a ticket) than I guess its worth it. But, you are sacrificing some self respect and making the rest of us look like clowns while at it.

I hope this response isn't overly mean or over the top, I'm just trying to convey how it looks. You've responded a couple of times that you are puzzled by people asking if you're serious - given that, it seems like you wanted a more thorough explanation. It's an innocent enough question, it just doesn't seem that you're picking up on how awkward this would be.

Besides, the white coat lately just means you work near patients (PA, NP, dietician, nurse supervisor, administrator)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness, wear a shirt and tie. Preferably a suit. Look professional. If the doctor card didn't work with the cop it's probably not going to work with the judge. In fact, wearing your white coat could be backfire, kind of like if a judge came into the ER demanding some special treatment and putting in your face that he's a "judge," wearing his black robe in the ED.

Casually saying to the cop, "Officer, you look familiar," (blank stare) "I must have seen you in the ER," can work sometimes, but don't get too entitled or pushy with the concept of physician leniency, since it can backfire.

Or, do the simplest thing. Pay the ticket! And use the time more productively. If I was a judge, my thought would be, "Wow, this guy is claiming to be a doctor, trying the get ticket reduced a few bucks? Wtf. Doesn't a doctor lose more money taking an afternoon of work to show up in court to get a ticket reduced a few bucks?" That's how I look at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've gotten two tickets entirely dismissed by going to court (in normal clothes) and vaguely mentioning whatever happened is due to work requirements.

Just mention it.

On a somewhat related note, I've had two tickets in my life, one going 75 in a 65 and another going 49 in a 35. I consider myself a safe driver. No accidents, no texting, obey all the rules. I just happened to not pay attention to speed a few times but certainly not excessively. I have never received a warning. It puzzles me that with all the violence I see every day coming through the ED, that going about 1o over in my hyundai is what the cops are concentrating on during their shift.

Paramedic plates(still have mine) seem to help a bit with my brothers in blue. I generally get a smile and a warning.
One of my md partners ALWAYS drives to work in scrubs and ALWAYS speeds. the local cops know he is an EP and let him get away with it. he even recently passed a cop at a high rate of speed across a double yellow and the guy (after pulling him over) let him go. Under 40, smooth talker and looks like a movie star. probably helps.

Paramedic plates(still have mine) seem to help a bit with my brothers in blue. I generally get a smile and a warning.
One of my md partners ALWAYS drives to work in scrubs and ALWAYS speeds. the local cops know he is an EP and let him get away with it. he even recently passed a cop at a high rate of speed across a double yellow and the guy (after pulling him over) let him go. Under 40, smooth talker and looks like a movie star. probably helps.

This guy sounds like a dangerous person.

When I went to traffic court last year I was the only man in the room without a neck tattoo. No need to wear a white coat to stand out in the New Orleans judicial system.
Last time I went to traffic court (let me rephrase that, every time I've been to traffic court and I'm 2 for 3 for defeating tickets in court) I was the only one in a suit and tie. You'll stand out just as much by dressing with the appropriate respect for the venue (coat and tie) without looking like a tool as you would by wearing a white coat.

Or, do the simplest thing. Pay the ticket! And use the time more productively. If I was a judge, my thought would be, "Wow, this guy is claiming to be a doctor, trying the get ticket reduced a few bucks? Wtf. Doesn't a doctor lose more money taking an afternoon of work to show up in court to get a ticket reduced a few bucks?" That's how I look at it.

Not necessarily. In California, a 1-15mph over ticket is $230 and about $300 if you opt for traffic school (between the additional court fee for traffic school as well as the actual cost of traffic school). If traffic school isn't an option, than the point is going to cost you around $1000 (say $25/month more). All of a sudden it isn't chump change, especially if you have any sort of defense (including technicalities).

Not necessarily. In California, a 1-15mph over ticket is $230 and about $300 if you opt for traffic school (between the additional court fee for traffic school as well as the actual cost of traffic school). If traffic school isn't an option, than the point is going to cost you around $1000 (say $25/month more). All of a sudden it isn't chump change, especially if you have any sort of defense (including technicalities).
Wow. Annoyingly punitive.

Wow. Annoyingly punitive.

Quick clarification, that $1000 is the increased insurance cost over time (varies by company in California). $20/month adds up quickly.

Now that said, there's a few important points about California's system. First, there's a trial by mail ("declaration") system. If you lose that, you can opt for a real trial for no better reason than "I lost." Second, infractions are considered a "criminal or public offense" under California's penal code (lower than misdemeanors). Thus, by definition, "traffic court" in California is real court and all of the standard rules of court and rules of evidence still applies. The only catch to going to court is that traffic school becomes at the discretion of the court and some judges are more lenient than others in granting traffic school.

On a somewhat related note, I've had two tickets in my life, one going 75 in a 65 and another going 49 in a 35. I consider myself a safe driver. No accidents, no texting, obey all the rules. I just happened to not pay attention to speed a few times but certainly not excessively. I have never received a warning. It puzzles me that with all the violence I see every day coming through the ED, that going about 1o over in my hyundai is what the cops are concentrating on during their shift.

Your slightly speeding hyundai is a huge cash cow for your state government. That's why.

You should absolutely wear your white coat to traffic court. Heck, I wear my white coat on all my first dates.

Only to himself. he's a great doc, but takes everything to the extreme in his life whether it's recreation or work related.
"a high rate of speed across a double yellow" is most definitely NOT dangerous only to himself....... and no, I wouldn't trust such a person's assertion that they were fine, that they were not putting anyone in danger, either.

Reason number 839 why California is unlivable.

Wearing a white coat is too flashy for me.

I would prefer to wear my blue scrubs with a couple of Benjamins in my chest pocket.

Best to go something more subtle like business casual with a stethoscope around your neck... Also buy a pager and make sure it goes off in the middle of your case, the Judge is going to love it...

if you iron your shirt and show up on time you're already 97th-%tile...

there is something that feels great about driving home in the middle of the night, no cars around, adding 10mph onto full visability corners, dressed in scrubs and ER body odor, knowing that you're on the same "side" as the police... but then again i just love driving my old car.

as an addendum to my 49 in a 35, i was also on my way to work and wearing an ems uniform. sometimes it just depends on good/bad luck.

Just curious.

AbsolutelyAbsolutely. I wear my white coat everywhere...the gym, the pool, funerals. I think people respect me more. It seems like it makes people intimidated. Nobody ever talks to me when I wear the coat. They all whisper about me. It just shows my importance.

Im friends with a construction worker who wears his hardhat and boots everywhere. I also have a police friend who wears his uniform everywhere. My other buddy who is native american wears his traditional feather headdress. And a biker buddy who wears assless chaps.

Im friends with a construction worker who wears his hardhat and boots everywhere. I also have a police friend who wears his uniform everywhere. My other buddy who is native american wears his traditional feather headdress. And a biker buddy who wears assless chaps.

Are they in the Navy?

The time to pull the doctor card is before the ticket is written. "I'm sorry officer. I should have known better, I'm an ER doc. Say, wasn't that you who dropped off that psycho lady last weekend?"

The time to pull the doctor card is before the ticket is written. "I'm sorry officer. I should have known better, I'm an ER doc. Say, wasn't that you who dropped off that psycho lady last weekend?"

This. Also, a lot of times once the ticket has been started, it has to be finished. You need to convince the officer to not write the ticket in the first place while not failing the attitude test.

Absof-ckinglutely wear your white coat. Make sure it's not the shortie white coat…. and carry a staff… something Gandalf would be proud to wield...

Absof-ckinglutely wear your white coat. Make sure it's not the shortie white coat…. and carry a staff… something Gandalf would be proud to wield...

With a snake around it. Gotta have the snake.

You Shall Not Convict. YOU SHALL NOT CONVICT.

Wear the white coat....but I wore scrubs to my court appearance.
I worked an overnight shift, looked scruffy, didnt shave and went in with scrubs and my lawyer.
The cop was there too, the one who decided he had to be the first cop to ever write me a speeding ticket (and yes I was going 8 miles over in a 55mph zone going from my moonlighting ED to my home ED).

The judge thanked me for coming in after my shift and he apologized that I was given a ticket after leaving a shift in the emergency room, especially going only 8 miles over the speed limit on a quiet and empty rural road surrounded by farm land!
So the speeding charge was dropped and I was charged with "obstruction of traffic" which carries no points in my state and a pretty reasonable fine. I had to pay court costs as well, lawyer was free (my uncle).

Bought a sweet radar detector to prevent that cop and others from trying to give me "another" first ever speeding ticket.

Wait...Is it a long doctor coat or one of those short ones?