Wearing Watches in the ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleVesicle

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it standard to wear a wristwatch in the ED? I'm starting my EM rotation soon and plan on wearing a junker or no watch at all. What kind of watch do you wear in the ED?

Members don't see this ad.

I wear my Piaget Emperador to match with my Ferragamo drivers for most shifts.

Reactions: 5 users
No watch. There is a clock on every computer in every room, on my phone and then some standard wall clocks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Prior to EHRs, a watch was needed to time hand written orders. Back then you also needed to carry a spear to take down random intruding velociraptors, as well as an extra gender-neutral loin cloth, so as not to offend administration, depending on the level of political correctness in the department that day.

So don't worry about it. Save the 30 bucks.

Reactions: 9 users
No watch. Its going to get filthy from everything; you don't to spend time cleaning out vomit/blood/powder from that space between the wristband and your skin.

There's a clock on every wall and computer screen.

Reactions: 1 users
Timex Ironman. Rarely leaves my wrist. Has (most importantly) the day and date on it, so I can appear more oriented than my patients.

The thing is solid, water resistant to 100M and one will last me about 5 years, and I'm pretty rough on them. Nice backup alarm, egg timer, and most importantly, a stopwatch.

But I'm old fashioned, I guess, and have always worn a watch. Most people like to point out that I wear it on the "wrong" wrist. Not sure who came up with that convention, as it's never made sense to me, but I don't really care.

I wear my expensive watch to work. ER medicine is really not that messy. When I need to do a dirty procedure, I take it off and put it in my pocket which is about once in 2-3 shifts.

Timex Ironman. Rarely leaves my wrist. Has (most importantly) the day and date on it, so I can appear more oriented than my patients.

The thing is solid, water resistant to 100M and one will last me about 5 years, and I'm pretty rough on them. Nice backup alarm, egg timer, and most importantly, a stopwatch.

But I'm old fashioned, I guess, and have always worn a watch. Most people like to point out that I wear it on the "wrong" wrist. Not sure who came up with that convention, as it's never made sense to me, but I don't really care.
You're the only person I've ever heard of, aside from myself, that gets the "wrong wrist" accusation lol.

Op, trauma rooms have clocks. Your charting will be on computers. The only time you might ever need a watch is if you're doing manual vitals and your ED lacks clocks with second hands. Usually your critical patients will be monitored, however, making this a non-issue.

I wear a simple analogue watch with a rubber strap. Use it occasionally for confirming vitals and frequently for tracking time to make sure I'm keeping up on efficiency. You don't need a watch, I'm just one of the minority of people who still always wears a watch...

Wear one if you're a watch person, if not, don't. I wear a watch everywhere I go.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's this or nothing.

Richard-Mille-Skull-RM52-01.jpeg

Wear one if you're a watch person, if not, don't. I wear a watch everywhere I go.

This is my philosophy. Also went for an automatic rather than battery-driven. Was a groomsman gift.

SKX007K1.jpg

Fitbit charge HR. Easy to clean, low profile , and is great for reminding you that while EM is mentally tiring you're still spending most of your time being inactive and a hard shift doesn't replace working out.

I do too, only automatics. Collecting watches in one of my hobbies so I like to put many of them to good use. I'll gauge the situation I guess, depending on how dirty our rotation gets the medical students. Nice avatar by the way, Bubbs.

Thank you all for the responses.

rolex-submariner-65361_4.jpg

Wore a nike fuel band for the longest time and upgraded about a year ago. It never leaves my wrist. Work, sleep, shower, gym, you name it. It will prob be the last watch I ever own. I'm not a collector.

Wore a nike fuel band for the longest time and upgraded about a year ago. It never leaves my wrist. Work, sleep, shower, gym, you name it. It will prob be the last watch I ever own. I'm not a collector.
That's the exact watch I'm wearing right now! The first Rolex I have has the green band, for the 50th anniversary, but this current one is the black. I LOVE it!

edit to add some grammar

Last edited:

Okay, I'll be the one to address the 800lb gorilla in the room, as usual.

A Rolex? Yeah, BUT...can it simultaneously post a selfie to Instagram, twitter and snapchat AND live blog my every meal for the whole world to see? If not, I'm out.

Okay, I'll be the one to address the 800lb gorilla in the room, as usual.

A Rolex? Yeah, BUT...can it simultaneously post a selfie to Instagram, twitter and snapchat AND live blog my every meal for the whole world to see? If not, I'm out.
The right Rolex says you pay someone to do all that for you.

Reactions: 3 users
The right Rolex says you pay someone to do all that for you.
Ah, yeeessss. Or at least you're too busy working, making money that you don't have time.

Submariner is the standard of dive watches. It's so versatile and timeless in black and can be worn in any environment from bathing suit to business suit. Also the watch Sean Connery along with many other Bonds wore before Omega starting supplying Seamasters to Brosnan/Craig. Definitely on my list when I become an attending.

That's the exact watch I'm wearing right now! The first Rolex I have has the green band, for the 50th anniversary, but this current one is the black. I LOVE it!

edit to add some grammar

:thumbup:

You've got good taste! Yea, it's an awesome watch. I had researched which model I wanted for weeks. I kept going back and forth between 116610 with and without the cyclops magnifier. I originally intended on the classic "Bond" 116610 "no date" but am very glad I went with the more standard cyclops magnifier.

Anyway, I was headed to the gym on the morning that I bought it and walked in the jewelry store in scrub pants, an old t-shirt and running shoes. None of the guys wanted to help me until I blurted out "I want a 116610 sub, think one of you guys can help me with that?" The salesman prob thought I had been out all night robbing people and was desperate to have me activate the serial/warranty card so that I couldn't return it.

I love it. Classic and timeless. It literally goes with anything from t-shirt and shorts to a black suit.

Before my Moto 360 I wore a simple timex with a "nicer" timex metal band to work. As stated with procedures I take it off and throw in back scrubs pocket which is only used for that purpose. I have worn a watch as long as I can remember (like grade school) so I feel naked without. Just my preference.

my dad told me never to trust a man who doesn't wear a watch. I bought a bunch of crappy but nice-from-afar watches from china on amazon for like $5 each. I get comments every day about how people really like my watch and I don't worry about it getting lost, broken, soiled, etc.

I wear a Rolex Submariner at work. Wash it after. 3 other rolexes at home + a limited edition Tag.

But I'm a watch addict.

Wristwatch subculture.

Hey, rock on with your bad selves. I like pinball, y'all like wristwatches.

I could buy three pinball machines for the price of some of these wristwatches. Waaay more moving parts.

I'm a TAG Heuer fan. This is my everyday wear. Worked well on the ambulance and in the hospital. The stainless band has held up well and can be washed off.

2015-06-21-22-53-44-1487488136.jpeg

It's so versatile and timeless in black and can be worn in any environment from bathing suit to business suit.

Some would argue that metal band watches are an inappropriately casual style to wear with a suit. Much of society has come to adopt it as acceptable thanks to Bond, but then again that's the same society that is changing the meaning of literally to figuratively...

I actually was thinking about this extensively and I decided to purchase a low profile Glycine Airman just to wear on clinical rotations. It has extension history and heritage so it would show good taste and sophistication if someone who knows about watches sees you, yet its not in the face of some attending who wears a run of the mill Rolex. I was deciding between Seiko SKX(posted above) but felt the chunkyness makes it too flashy and it has no heritage to back it up, Hamilton jazzmaster with good water resistance but shows little sophistication, Rolex Milgauss GV which would be perfect if the brand didnt attract unwanted attention, and JLC Reverso, would be too "in the face" for the Rolex wearing superiors. For fellow students with engineering/navigation background and watch enthusiasts, I really think a low profile mid tier iconic watch is your best bet, other options are longines Legend diver, Heuer Monaco and perhaps Omega Speedy on the higher end, but the more obscure the better, so maybe Sinn or Squale comes into play too if you are interested in the Axis countries ( I just can't do Axis countries, which is also a reason against the Seiko...)

Last edited:
I've got 30 different watches, most > 20 years old and I rotate them. I feel naked without a watch.

I wear my S3 and Citizen titanium in an alternating fashion.
Formal outfits get the Hamilton or the Baume et Mercier.
Weekends out get the Omega Speedy Pro.

Raymond Weil Swiss automatic. Can't go wrong with Swiss made automatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$10 Casio for medicine. Other watches for casual. Omega Seamaster for ballin.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is it standard to wear a wristwatch in the ED? I'm starting my EM rotation soon and plan on wearing a junker or no watch at all. What kind of watch do you wear in the ED?

I wear my Shinola to work sometimes. It's an expensive watch, but I just take it off when I anticipate body fluids splashing on it. Seems like a lot of the docs at my place wear Shinolas. It's a good way to tell whether the person wearing the white coat is a doctor or nurse manager ;) ;)

Shinolas are waaay overpriced. There's no way I'd pay that much money for a quartz watch! I like the fact that they're made in America, in fact I used to live down the street from their assembly shop/store in Detroit, but I can't justify dropping that kind of money on a quartz watch.

Shinolas are waaay overpriced. There's no way I'd pay that much money for a quartz watch! I like the fact that they're made in America, in fact I used to live down the street from their assembly shop/store in Detroit, but I can't justify dropping that kind of money on a quartz watch.

Favorite watch I've ever owned. To each their own, tho.

****ty solar powered g-shock looking thing. But, Im a newb.