Wedding before Intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orichalum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering typically how much time there is between medical school graduation and the first day of intern year. It's still a few years for me, but I would be planning a marriage. Would I have ample time to tie the knot after graduation AND go on a honeymoon? Or would it be safer to schedule MS4 rotations smart so that I have the last month off before graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering typically how much time there is between medical school graduation and the first day of intern year. It's still a few years for me, but I would be planning a marriage. Would I have ample time to tie the knot after graduation AND go on a honeymoon? Or would it be safer to schedule MS4 rotations smart so that I have the last month off before graduation?
Wait...wait. It's "a few years" for you until you're an M4 but you're already planning the wedding now? Why not just do it now and be done with it?

Is this a hypothetical thing? Because if so, please go away.

Time from graduation to starting intern year ranges from 2 weeks to 2 months, with the peak (as with all bell curves) in the 4-6 week range. Decide for yourself if this is enough time to get married, go on a honeymoon, move to a new city, get settled and start residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait...wait. It's "a few years" for you until you're an M4 but you're already planning the wedding now? Why not just do it now and be done with it?

Is this a hypothetical thing? Because if so, please go away.

Time from graduation to starting intern year ranges from 2 weeks to 2 months, with the peak (as with all bell curves) in the 4-6 week range. Decide for yourself if this is enough time to get married, go on a honeymoon, move to a new city, get settled and start residency.

Personal reasons

if you can get married during 1st or 2nd year that's probably the best time for being able to plan, have a wedding and take time to go on a honeymoon.

if not then you should probably aims for the latter half of 4th year (post match, pre graduation- april or may) to have the wedding and a honeymoon…you can plan during 4th while juggling ERAS and interviews.

to get married, honeymoon, and then try to move, and orientation, etc after graduation and before orientation is a bit tight…plus all your friends from med school will be involved in trying to get ready for intern year…many may not be able to come.

Reactions: 1 user

Do it summer between first and second year if possible. This is prob. the best time. Second best option: have bunch of easy rotations scheduled for the end of 4th year and have the weeding immediately after you finish school. That will leave you enough time for honeymoon, etc. Third option: take step 1 early and have the wedding before starting 3rd year.