-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopelessdreamer95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to increase your science GPA over 3.0. A lot depends on how well you do on the MCAT. If you score over 500 and increase your science GPA you would be competitive for some DO schools. MD appears unlikely unless you can increase your science GPA to 3.3 or higher with a MCAT of at least 510.

Hi everyone. I'm currently a third-year undergraduate student pursuing a dual degree in Cell & Molecular Biology and Health Sciences at the University of South Florida. I'm also a new member to the SDN forums. I wanted to ask for your opinion on my current level of competitiveness for medical and osteopathic schools, specifically in Florida, as I prepare to graduate within a year. You can be as brutally honest as you think is necessary, as I want to weigh my options for the upcoming year. I personally think I'm not as cut out for medical school or osteopathy school as compared to most potential candidates in my classes but becoming a doctor has always been my dream so I want to try. With that being said, I need to also be realistic, so, enough of me rambling, here it is (according to the AMCAS calculator I used):

Overall GPA(as of Fall 2015): 3.43
Running BCPM GPA as of the start of my junior year: 2.97~ 3.00
Running Overall GPA according to AMCAS: 3.41 ~ 3.42

*Note- Pre-reqs I have yet to take include- Physics I and II w/labs, Biochemistry, etc.

Any type of criticism is greatly appreciated, even the most gut-wrenching truth about my imminent future. Thank you everyone!

Etc.? There's only biology, chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, and (sometimes) biochemistry. Psych/soc also occasionally considered. What's left in the Etc. portion? Ultimately you need a higher GPA to be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.