Weight of FM clerkship grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggidgetzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to start another "what are my chances" thread, but I just got my NBME grade back from FM and I'm really disappointed. It's been my lowest of all 6 clerkships, and it's what I want to do! I loved my rotation, I felt well prepared going in, I guess I just wasn't...

I have honored the other 5 clerkships. Now I stand to get high pass or pass in FM, depending on my OSCE grade as I honored my clinical evals.

Will this be seen as completely strange, considering I did pretty well in all my other clerkships? Will this affect my chances at residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've honored 5/6 clerkships, you're fine.

You're fine. To me the FM NBME was the hardest, and I had a similar situation to yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about someone who has HP's across the board except for surgery?

Also has a 227 USMLE step1.

Didn't honor 3rd year Family med rotation because I got a 4.55 on the eval and a 4.6 was the threshold for honors. I did honor the exam though.

Will I be competitive assuming a good step2?

Honestly, the vibe I anticipate from FP residencies is that they want people who are going to be good residents to work with. I think a lot of the "more competitive" programs might have certain cut-offs, but after that they're going to look a lot more at whether you're going to fit with their program and whether you'll be the kind of person that they want to have working for them for 3 years. I can't imagine that not honoring in one of your Med 3 rotations will be the thing that matters in their final ranking. If you're academically sound, it will come down to personality, interview, letters, commitment to primary care, etc. Having not gone through the process, however, I can't speak with much authority on this. Do any residents or attendings agree or disagree?

Reactions: 1 user
For example, on the Fort Collins residency website under FAQ section, it says "What do you look for in a resident?" Their response: "We look for applicants who are well-rounded people and a good fit for our program. While academic record is considered, we seek applicants who exhibit strong interpersonal skills, a commitment to service, interest in the underserved, compassionate care, and some likelihood of practicing in the service area of Poudre Valley Health System."

I know every program is different, though.

Thanks for the replies guys. It helps put my mind at ease - I'll just try really hard for honors in my sub-Is!

SLC, Swedish in Denver (very competitive) I think requires a 225 USMLE. Rose requires a 215, most of the rest require passing the first time. With all the RDs I've spoken with in Denver they want to work with people who are willing to work and fit with their team. I think you'll both be fine...

If you want a Family Medicine residency at a particular program, do an audition rotation there during your late third year or early fourth year. Impress them. Get their faculty to write you LORs. If that's the case, so long as your pass your boards and clerkships, you'll be fine. Family Medicine programs value how much they like your personality and surface ability to be a good Family Doctor over everything else.