Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar Pre-Medical Application thread 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmy3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
I hope you are doing quite well. I thought of making a new forum where everyone of you can post about your statistics, volunteering experience and your emotions in this thread. Ofcourse as the Title says its for WCMC-Q applicant for 2013.
Please do post! I would love to hear back from you. I would soon come back for more postings. In the mean time do post. I am currently feeling a lot hurt inside but I am trying to remain cheerful. How about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys!
I hope you are doing quite well. I thought of making a new forum where everyone of you can post about your statistics, volunteering experience and your emotions in this thread. Ofcourse as the Title says its for WCMC-Q applicant for 2013.
Please do post! I would love to hear back from you. I would soon come back for more postings. In the mean time do post. I am currently feeling a lot hurt inside but I am trying to remain cheerful. How about you?

You get a US MD if you go there right?

Of course you do. Man getting accepted is soo hard

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes u are considered as an img but most importantly u are matched with excellent residency programs as well. I am starting to appreciate the replies here.

It is not LCME accredited I know but I dnt think it really matters. I am more interested the amount od resources and dedication they put into the student. What do you think?

It is not LCME accredited I know but I dnt think it really matters. I am more interested the amount od resources and dedication they put into the student. What do you think?
I think the odds of practicing back in the US are not in your favor. See threads about looming residency "crunch".

Say what? It's not LCME accredited but you don't think it matters, but you're not accepted nor in med school... so under what authority do you have to make this claim?

Say what? It's not LCME accredited but you don't think it matters, but you're not accepted nor in med school... so under what authority do you have to make this claim?

You guys are getting me all wrong. This medical school is not LCME accredited because it is outside of US or Canada isn't it? But it has equal standard to that of Cornell and the quality of education is exactly the same. After passing from USMLE you do get into competitive residencies:
http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/media/reports/2011/matchDay.html
http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/media/reports/2010/graduation2010/match.html
check these links out.
As far as I am guessing, if any medical school is outside US or Canada, it will not be LCME accredited, am I right?
Here, this may clarify some of your questions.
http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/education/admin/med/med_faq.html#Question34

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to practice in the US, there is nothing more important than accreditation.

Mate I agree with you. For me its not quite possible to apply in the US now. So I opened this thread for those who applied to WCMC-Q, to know about their stories, to know about their stats, to know about their opinions. I really appreciate your comments though. DO continue, All of us can learn a lot and can clarify things. However do pray for me so that I can get into meds this year. I am not willing to take any more gap years and I hope I get into this medical university. Although my SAT scores are less but that dosnt mean I cannot be a doc. How about you guys?

Guys can please tell me details about this accredition of medical school, the USMLEs and the residency programs?

Hi timmy3, hope you are well! I applied for the pre-med program of WCMC-Q, and am still waiting for a response from them. They take literally ages to respond! As yet my online application account hasnt even been updated to show whether or not they've received my transcripts and references.. (although they HAVE actually received them- i called them up for a confirmation).. how long did it take them to respond to you, after they had received your documents?

I hope all goes well for you! =)

Hi nk94! yes they kinda slow :p but I guess its gonna be alright! What are you academic stats? Hope you wont mine to share! :) And whhere you from?

HELLO timmy3!! I applied for the pre med in wcmcq and got no reply at all..! I was wondering if anyone got the interview?? Because its almost the end of march and this is when applicants usually get the interviews.. maybe I have a low chance of acceptance so I just wanna know if I should still hold on to wcmcq

is it fine if u guys put ur stats ? :)

Yes
Mine is not so great though
O level 5 A* 3 A and 1 B
A levels AAAA @ phy, chem, bio and maths
SAT (superscore) 540 CR 670 maths 600 Writing
SAT subject-test 740 chem, 730 Bio M and 690 maths level 2
IELTS scores 7.5 Listening 8.5 Reading 7.0 writing 8.0 Speaking and Overall 8.0
I would appreciate if you guys post your stats as well :)
@AndAnd....interview will continue through march.

Ahh my stats arent that great either
6A* 1A 1B O levels
and i did not do A levels yet.. In june ill be doing chem and maths full A levels
SAT 1800(best score after several trials...woof!)
SAT 2 : chem 730, bio 640 , math 2 640
TOEFL 104
and thats it
:/ not that impressive I guess?

I am very worried I dont get the interview..although I think they dont usually get back to u that quick
but still man...
not getting the interview means not getting in :/
March is almost over :|

Last edited:
oh yes.. and GPA high school is 3.2 !!!

Its ok AndAnd, don't worry! :) you will still have April. And your academics are upto the standard. Infact quite similar like mine :p. btw do you have your AS grades? And what other schools have you applied to? :)
Anyone else interested to share?

i just received an email 2 days ago that my application is under review and that they'll respond soon with the decision... the waiiit!!!

nk94, I hope they get back to you as soon as possible.

No I did not do AS I will be doing full A lev maths and chem
Wcmcq is the only school!! Stupid me..
If not it, I will take a gap year to do biology A lev
Congrats nk94 :D ! Hope we hear something soon too! What are ur stats nk94 ?!
:)
How about u timmy3? What other schools do you have in mind?

AndAnd
I have applied to a UK med school. Got an interview but unfortunately got rejected after that.
Secondly, I have two European schools in mind: Charles university and University of Debrecen, and Taylor's University in malaysia
Please try to apply to NEOMED in US as well. I made the mistake of not applying there. I am feeling horrible right now. I have already taken my gap year, hence I am pretty sad that still haven't received a good news.
Are you doing the A level in 2 years or 1 year? I am guessing 1. I would highly recommend taking a gap year and doing lots of extra-curricular activities to demonstrate your interest in medicine.

Oh neomed? never heard of it! hope their application is still on
im doing Alevels in one year :D
I always make bad choices but i was dreaming of wcmcq as i would apply tthrough QF as i cant afford other schools .. :( i also wanted to go to boston uni :(
guess lifes tough..
do u have any ideas if there are any schools similar to wcmcq? in terms of accreditation and affordability :p
good luck to you timmy3.. and to all applicants ! :)

Dont worry may you hear good news soon
have faith in God's will :) it will always be for the best

i got 8 A*s and 2 As in O levels, 4 As in AS level (phys, chem, bio and normal maths)
in SAT 1- CR 640, maths 750, writing 750
SAT 2- Bio 790, maths 2 790 and chem 800

i didnt take the IELTS though..

AndAnd, I dont think there's any other Med School like Weill Cornell in terms of financial aid.. and that too only because of Qatar foundation. and Cornell Qatar is the only overseas college i've applied to as well! =P

Nk94 have you been called for an interview? You have got really good statistics

No, I havent received any reply for an interview call yet; I'm worried because March is over and they started interviewing quite a while ago.. Have you guys been contacted yet?

We did not get either reply or interview haha
Loook at ur stats and ours; I dont think they even looked at timmy3's or my application
Good luck bro ! :) god bless u

Thanks AndAnd!
But Stats arent everything, they look at the application as a whole, extracurricular activities make a HUGE difference. Dont be so disheartened. (!)

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo any reply yet?

Any news... anyone? Shouldn't they just go like hey u ; ur rejected =P? Maaaan

My application status have been changed to "under review". But thats about it.

I have been called for interviews on the 23rd of this month, did anyone else get the e-mail?

nk94, looks like u got good scores, did u get any reply form the uni?

Nalakamenik congrats for being offered an interview.
Would u mind posting your scores? And what nationality are you?

If you want to practice in the US, there is nothing more important than accreditation.

Although to be honest, the weill cornell name will at least give it some cred.