Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar Pre-Medical Application thread 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys!
I am a junior(11th grader) at Cairo American College and I would really love to go to WCMC-Q!
I was just wondering how competitive would I be as a pre-med applicant and what should I do to improve my chances..
In terms of standardized tests, I have CR660/M800/W690 in SAT. I am planning to take SAT again and also ACT with writing. My GPA is 4.02/4.3. My school uses 4.3 scale and I have A and A+ in science courses. For the subject tests, I will be taking biology, chemistry, and math2, inshallah. I am taking AP Biology, Microeconomics, and Macromics exams this May. I will be taking AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, and AP Chemitry next year.
For the extracurricular activities, I have been the president&founder&web designer of a volunteer group since 10th grade and class president in 9th grade. Also, I have participated in Varsity Academic Games(11th), TEDx Organizing Committee(11th), and Varisty Debate Team(9th). I know my ECs are not stellar. But, I am very passionate of the activities I am in, especially the volunteer. (I received a volunteer award from UNICEF Korea if that would help).
So, how are my chances? What should I do to improve my chances?

This post, unintentionally, became painfully long. Thanks for bearing it:)

P.S. I am a South Korean.

Members don't see this ad.

I used to work there. The pre-med and medical school is all just a ploy to steal money from families and shatter hopes. Don't go, it'll ruin your future and no one will take you seriously in the USA.Not even Cornell USA.

Hi Guys!

Actually I'm an Indian student and I'm looking forward to join Cornell Medical College in Qatar. But the problem is I don't understand the SAT and MCAT etc. What are these things? In India, we don't have such type of tests. I have never taken such tests before.

Kindly please help me in this aspect. I really want to get into WCM. BTW, my Intermediate (10+2) percentage is 75%. And please give me guidelines on how to write the SAT and MCAT tests.

Regards!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello AsimNexus, hope you are well :)

You'll find much about SAT and MCAT if you google them; nevertheless, for the undergraduate program of WCMC in Qatar you'll have to take the SAT, not the MCAT. MCAT is taken by students after doing the undergraduate program, in order to apply to the Medical College. I'm assuming you're done with or are doing your Higher Secondary Education.

you'll have to take the SAT 1 which is basically English and Math. If you fail to score 600 in the critical reading section of english, you'll have to take the IELTS or TOEFEL too. then, you'll have to take the SAT 2 which are subject tests, you can take them in any subject but for cornell qatar they want two science subjects and one maths (they prefer Mathematics 2). you'll have to be careful to take these tests in time so that the scores come before the university's deadlines; you should take them even earlier in case you dont like your scores and want to retake the tests.

MCAT isnt a requirement for the undergraduate program to which you'll be applying so dont worry about that now.

Hi guys!
I am a junior(11th grader) at Cairo American College and I would really love to go to WCMC-Q!
I was just wondering how competitive would I be as a pre-med applicant and what should I do to improve my chances..
In terms of standardized tests, I have CR660/M800/W690 in SAT. I am planning to take SAT again and also ACT with writing. My GPA is 4.02/4.3. My school uses 4.3 scale and I have A and A+ in science courses. For the subject tests, I will be taking biology, chemistry, and math2, inshallah. I am taking AP Biology, Microeconomics, and Macromics exams this May. I will be taking AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, and AP Chemitry next year.
For the extracurricular activities, I have been the president&founder&web designer of a volunteer group since 10th grade and class president in 9th grade. Also, I have participated in Varsity Academic Games(11th), TEDx Organizing Committee(11th), and Varisty Debate Team(9th). I know my ECs are not stellar. But, I am very passionate of the activities I am in, especially the volunteer. (I received a volunteer award from UNICEF Korea if that would help).

Your chances should be good although to improve your chances you need to find a way to get some medical experience. I'm assuming that if you get into the premed program you also get into the medical program? If so, then they will want to see some hospital or medical work experience or volunteer.

Hi guys!

I think you're very competitive. You can probably aim for a higher SAT I CR score and it'll look very good.

I heard that the application opens in mid-September 2013. Who else is applying? I am also applying.

i got 8 A*s and 2 As in O levels, 4 As in AS level (phys, chem, bio and normal maths)
in SAT 1- CR 640, maths 750, writing 750
SAT 2- Bio 790, maths 2 790 and chem 800

i didnt take the IELTS though..

AndAnd, I dont think there's any other Med School like Weill Cornell in terms of financial aid.. and that too only because of Qatar foundation. and Cornell Qatar is the only overseas college i've applied to as well! =P

Hi nk94, your stats are great. Did you get accepted or, if not, re-applying for 2014?

My stats:
SAT I: 740 CR 710 M 680 W
SAT II: 790 Chem 780 Phys
A levels: 4 As

Hey..
anyone applying to wcmc-q this year??

Hi
I will be applying to WCMC-Q this year as well. I am an Indian,and wanted to apply to Cornell since a very long time.I gave the SAT and here are my scores...
SAT CR550 M780 w 530
I also gaveTOEFL and got 97/120

I realized that my critical reading,writing scores are very less and my TOEFL score is not up to the mark either
I was hoping to apply in mid-November but I will be taking SAT1 again in December.
Should I delay my application until I get my SAT scores or should I just go ahead and apply? The problem is that I have already sent the first SAT score...

if any of you here had been accepted in WCM-Q could they please reply?