weill cornell Qatar interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmeds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Have they started interviewing external applicants to the MD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,

Have they started interviewing external applicants to the MD program?

I have no idea, but I've applied there also and am anxiously waiting to hear back from them. I called them last week and they said that the latest I would hear back is middle of March.

Is that your top choice? Are you from/have any ties to the Middle East.

phew...

I thought they had started already and had lost hope.
2008 Admission Cycle Target Dates & DeadlinesPhase of ProcessExternal ApplicantsInternal ApplicantsOnline Application Begins:October 2007Application Completed:February 1, 2008March 1, 2008Interviews Commence:Early January 2008April 1, 2008Interviews Conclude:February 28, 2008April 30, 2008Applicant notified of decision:April 1, 2008June 1, 2008Registration & Orientation
Medical Year 1Late August 2008

Born and raised in Riyadh. I also have many Qatari friends at my University in Canada.

good luck Adil :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
phew...

I thought they had started already and had lost hope.
2008 Admission Cycle Target Dates & DeadlinesPhase of ProcessExternal ApplicantsInternal ApplicantsOnline Application Begins:October 2007Application Completed:February 1, 2008March 1, 2008Interviews Commence:Early January 2008April 1, 2008Interviews Conclude:February 28, 2008April 30, 2008Applicant notified of decision:April 1, 2008June 1, 2008Registration & Orientation
Medical Year 1Late August 2008

Born and raised in Riyadh. I also have many Qatari friends at my University in Canada.

good luck Adil :thumbup:

I am Pakistani, but I have lived my whole life in Saudi Arabia as well. Abqaiq and Udhailiyah, small towns in the East, so not sure if you've heard of them. My father works for Aramco, so you might know that though!

Yeah I'm really hoping to get an interview from them. Do you know how many people apply there? I was never able to find a number of how many applications they get every year.

Good luck to you as well!

I have no idea, but I've applied there also and am anxiously waiting to hear back from them. I called them last week and they said that the latest I would hear back is middle of March.

Is that your top choice? Are you from/have any ties to the Middle East.

Hi Adil,

If the latest is in March, when would the interviews commence? I wonder if they are still aiming for the April 1 decision deadline.

Are you guys having a hard time communicating with them? I always get the office answering machine and no one returns calls...I also emailed them several times...no response. Have you guys had any luck?

Do you think we will get a call/email/postal letter inviting us to an interview? Is this your first time applying?

Also great to hear someone started this discussion, where are you guys residing now?

Cheers

I understand everyone's anxious and excited and stuff but give people time. Patience really does go a long way. You won't hear about the final results till a month before the start of the start of the new academic year.

Been getting a couple of privates and stuff regarding admissions, interviews, etc. Please refer to http://www.qatar-med.cornell.edu/ad...=2Select&name2=FAQ‘s&type2=3Active#Question15 and read it carefully! Alot of your questions will be answered.

Treat WCMC-Q like its the one in the States- we're just as busy and stuff here. So hey- everyone's working as efficiently as possible. Note that the seats are filled up with Qataris first- read the FAQs!

As to your chances of acceptance- apply anyway and wait patiently for an answer. Work for what you want and when it comes, humbly embrace it.

Good luck to you all.

Masalama,
Maya

What is the average GPA/MCAT for the external matriculant?

What is the average GPA/MCAT for the external matriculant?

The link to the FAQs are posted above, would have thought you would have browsed through that before posting?! Either way, your answer is in there.

I am currently doing my undergrad at a liberal arts college in Pennsylvania. I am praying I get invited to an interview at WCMC-Q, it is my top choice school. NewVintage, this is my first time applying. I've had some success contacting them. When you call, it always goes to the answering machine, but if you press 0 at the end, it takes you to the operator and you can get a hold of them that way sometimes. As far as email, yeah it's slow, but I completely understand because I don't think there are very many of them reading the many many many applications they must get.

Inshallah we all get interviews there, and in the end, we end up where it is best for all of our futures.

The link to the FAQs are posted above, would have thought you would have browsed through that before posting?! Either way, your answer is in there.

I didn't notice the link before I posted. It happens on forums. Thanks anyway for your half-***, arrogantly toned answer.

Thank you Adil and Mayouches for the best wishes. Next time I call, I will try the zero technique. The wait is killer, but its worth it in the end.
What have you heard about the loans given from the government of Qatar? I heard they are interest free - but actually obtaining them are hard.

Best of luck in getting an interview!

I wonder how many other "external" applicants we are competing against..... Anyone have an idea? Also, if you guys don't mind sharing, what were your GPA and MCAT scores like? Neither of mine are as high as I wanted, but I applied with a 3.61 and a 31R on the MCATs. The wait is killing me also!!!

Hi guys

I got an email today inviting me for an interview but it is in two weeks :eek:. I have to fly to Qatar from Canada next week. How are you guys planning your trip?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys

I got an email today inviting me for an interview but it is in two weeks :eek:. I have to fly to Qatar from Canada next week. How are you guys planning your trip?

Congratulations! That's great news! What were your GPA/MCAT scores (if you don't mind)?

Hi guys

Alhamdullilah! :)

Congrats =)

Not yet my friend, still waiting
Congratulation Canmeds! Anyone else here back?

thanks guys.

interviews in t-2 hours

current location: A hotel in Doha

please pray for me

alhamdulillah.. interview is over..

Wow - the facilities are unlike anything i have ever seen in North America. So very beautiful X 100 and apparently the cornell building alone cost 1 billion dollars.

We were given a very warm welcome by the premed students.

Inshallah it works out

thanks guys.

interviews in t-2 hours

current location: A hotel in Doha

please pray for me

Canmeds, the information you are providing is inaccurate!

The interviews for medical school (MD) have not commenced yet (try phoning them!)

I have no idea where you are getting this information from.

Come on my friend, you are flying all the way Canada to attend an interview in a hotel in Doha (the name you failed to mention??).

The interviews are held in the faculty!
Stop spreading false information!

Hmmmm this is all a bit strange. I don't think somebody would make up going from Canada to Qatar and attending an interview. Greentotal, he/she was probaly staying at the hotel and writing that before she attended they interview, he/she never said the interview was at the hotel itself.

Anyway, I still haven't heard anything from them, and am considering calling them up myself because this is getting really late. Canmeds, congratulations on having a good interview, and hope it works out for you

I agree with adil, he does make a good point.
Adil do let me know what they say (you can PM me).I am still having trouble connecting with them through email and phone ( I used up all my minutes in my phone card).

Thanks!

Hello Guys,

Thanks Adil and NV.

I am still in Doha (in the hotel lobby waiting for the taxi to drive me to the airport). Try sending an email to the Director of Admissions, he is a very very nice gentleman and responded to my emails early in application process. Also the admissions office is very busy around this time with the med and the premed applications-they got tons of them this year. WCMC-Q is awesome.

Good luck friends

Hi Green,

There must have been some misunderstanding. I am not giving out false information.

Best wishes,
Canmeds

I am at the airport now (free internet)
pass.jpg

plane.jpg

Whats the average gpa needed for interview at Cornell-Qatar medical school? I thought they strongly prefer Qataris for admissions?

I appreciate your reply?

Thanks.

Hi Green,

There must have been some misunderstanding. I am not giving out false information.

Best wishes,
Canmeds

I am at the airport now (free internet)
pass.jpg

plane.jpg

Hello Guys,

Thanks Adil and NV.

I am still in Doha (in the hotel lobby waiting for the taxi to drive me to the airport). Try sending an email to the Director of Admissions, he is a very very nice gentleman and responded to my emails early in application process. Also the admissions office is very busy around this time with the med and the premed applications-they got tons of them this year. WCMC-Q is awesome.

Good luck friends

Hey Canmeds,

I see you flew first class!! haha. Thats the only way I roll!!

Good luck!!

Hi MDPWR,

I don't think there is a strict cutoff to get an interview. GPA and MCAT scores are very important but not everything - they also look at your life experiences and motivation for medicine.

From what I know, the external applicants from North America have acceptances in the States or Canada but choose to go to Qatar because of ties to the middle-east.

To repeat what Mayouches said - treat it like Cornell in New York city.
--------------------------------------------

To all future applicants:

This is NOT a backup school you apply to when you fail to matriculate in your home country. It is an exact replication of the curriculum in New York. You are taught by Cornell faculty. So you get world class medical training in top-notch facilities.

Some other things I learned that you may not know:
- Students have scored above the U.S. average in the USMLE's.
- 14 out of the 16 students in the first graduating class have obtained competitive residency spots in the States. One of the students could not get a visa for the several residency interview invites so is staying in Qatar.
- There are grants available for students to pursue summer research in Ithaca, NY (Cornell U) or NY, NY (WCMC) or Doha, Qatar (WCMC-Q) with Cornell Professors.

Know that attending WCMC-Q will give you world class education so you can learn to provide the best possible care to your patients.

Hey Canmeds,

I see you flew first class!! haha. Thats the only way I roll!!

Good luck!!

Hey Vintage,

I flew economy class and stayed at a very cheap hotel - that is how I had to roll. :(

Were you able to get in touch with them?

One thing that you should keep in mind when you call is that here in Doha, Cornell's week runs from Sun-Thurs. Remember also that there is a 7 hour time difference. Many of the people that answer your calls will not be at there desk after 4.30pm. It is worth contacting the admissions office directly, but keep in mind that they are swamped at the moment. Agree 100% with individual that recommended that you treat this college as you would any high calibre US university. It does replicate the NY curriculum.

Hello Folks,

Alhamdulillah! I have been accepted. I got an email from the Associate Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs on March 19th (Exactly a week after my interview).

To current med students at WCMC-Q: I have a whole lot of questions to ask you guys (Mayouches - where are you?). Who can help me?

~ Canmeds

Found this - for all you folks wondering about match results of the first graduating class.

"At WCMC-Q, the school's inaugural class of 15 learned that they had matched to some of the top U.S. programs, including at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Minnesota, and Rush University Medical Center in Chicago."

http://www.med.cornell.edu/deans/2008/03_24_08/article_01-03_24.shtml

I am still trying to find out exactly which fields they matched into.

Hi Everyone. I have been searching for this blog for a while. Congratulations Canmed! Was wondering if anybody else has gotten an interview date. Im still waiting to hear from the school. Was also wondering if anyone knows about Royal college of Surgeons Bahrain?

Found this - for all you folks wondering about match results of the first graduating class.

"At WCMC-Q, the school's inaugural class of 15 learned that they had matched to some of the top U.S. programs, including at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Minnesota, and Rush University Medical Center in Chicago."

http://www.med.cornell.edu/deans/2008/03_24_08/article_01-03_24.shtml

I am still trying to find out exactly which fields they matched into.

Hi Canmeds!! Thanks a lot for the link. It was very helpful. Did u find out which residencies they got into? I am in a fix whether I should join pre-med in WCMC(Q) or should I go to the UK where I got some good offers to do undergraduate medicine.

Anyone get a rejection letter or anything yet in the mail or email?

I spoke to Lee Askin last week and he said they are going stop interviewing in two weeks. He said my application is still under review. Good luck to everyone.

so thts basically a rejection for those of us who havent heard yet i guess. i am glass half empty today. :(

Well i just got a letter of rejection. I am really disappointed.Good luck to all of you. Wish you all the best. Bye

Well i just got a letter of rejection. I am really disappointed.Good luck to all of you. Wish you all the best. Bye

Sorry to hear Ummi. Don't be disappointed there is always next year!
Stay positive!

Did you recieve the letter through the mail or email.
I still haven't heard anything back yet (and likely the same outcome).

I got the email on my application page.yeah there is always next year but I don't think I am going to apply. Good luck and don't be too stressed about it.

Nothing to stress about - it is all going according to God's plan and there is something much better in store for you.

I have some questions for current Med students please pm me if you can help.

Thanks

I want to know how much of practical exposure to patients and hospital visits exists in the clinical curriculum. How can international students gain from practical exposure without understanding Arabic ? Can any senior student throw some light on this?

Hey guys, I'm a final year pre-med student at WCMC-Q..if you need any help or have any questions.. let me know :D

Hey everyone,
I'm an MS-II at an U-Maryland Med. Man do I wish I had applies to WCM-Q, I mean maryland's awesome and a great education, but there's no substitue for the good ol'middle east.
G-Luck to you guys, aside from spending your best years in a corner at the library, med school is awesome :)

Hi Adelaida,

I don't know what you like about the middle-east but I personally like that fact that you can keep it Real and Halal simultaneously.:D;)

hah.. nah I don't care. It's just home that's all.
Plus, we arabs can party better than any american I know

Hi all,
for those of you who currently attend WCMC-Q, I have a question regarding Financial Aid from QF, if a student is not granted financial aid during the pre-med programme can they apply ang get it for the medical programme ? I mean do you know anyone who has done so ?
I truly appreciate your response.