Welch Allyn handles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chang871

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of other threads going debating the usefulness of diagnostic kits. I don't want this to turn into another one. I just want to know NiCad vs. Li ion as far as battery replacement life. The Li ion is more expensive, but if it has to be replaced just as soon, I would rather not pay three times more for each battery. Anybody with some experience on how fast these two batteries wear out?

Members don't see this ad.

They both wear out pretty slowly. That said, an individual charge on the Li-ion battery lasts longer. For me, I ended up switching to the traditional handle because my smart handle wouldn't shut off. The metal handle, on the other hand, is pretty much indestructable.

Does anybody know any more specific numbers? I appreciate your response, but the NiCad can be replaced by C-batteries, so I would want to know Li ion is going to last a long time to commit to having to replace them at 100 a pop...

The odds that you'll be using the thing for any prolonged period of time is near zero, so it doesn't really matter.

If you must buy a diagnostic set, buy the cheapest, smallest one you can find.