Welcome to the International Rotations Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum will be for discussion of international clinical rotations and international health experiences. Feel free to post links to programs of interest and share your stories about health-care related international travel.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Despite the price, I'm seriously looking into doing an international rotation with Child Family Health International. If anyone who has completed any of their programs would provide some feedback about the pros and cons, and whether it is worth the cost, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm looking into the Pediatric Health in La Paz, Bolivia and Reproductive Health or Andean Health in Quito, Ecuador. Any info. on those programs specifically would be lovely!

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Peace&Health :)

I did two months of Andean Health in Quito last summer. Had an AMAZING experience. My best friends did Bolivia, both in different years. So here's my run down.

Bolivia
Much less actual clinic time than Ecuador and more b.s. like counseling of troubled youth, less modern equipment, and less quality language classes and more students per teacher.

Ecuador, Andean.
4 hours a day in clinic, 4 hours of language classes (one on one, in June. Three on one in July)
Each week you are in a different hospital and different specialty. You can submit requests for either surgery, family, emergency, or OBGYN. Trading is possible if you don't like what you get. All preceptors are very happy to help, but please please please know Spanish. They do not have time to translate between patients, so if you don't speak it you will be bored and lost and leave like so many other of my program people did.

If you can speak it, you will get a lot out of the program doing TONS of physicals and observing a high volume of diseases and ill patients that you cannot see in the states. My Favorites were:

Emergency
Fantastic as only truly sick patients show up, absolutely no primary care time wasters. I got to do a lot of needle sticks and wound cleanings, but I was the exception. Definetly great precepters though. Cannot possibly describe the crazy **** I saw, the sheer list of acute and rare diseases just goes on and on.

Ob Gyn.
Wow. At least several births a day. Can be hard to get in to see the C-sections but I saw natural births that included forcep deliveries, twins, breach, and a foot presentation.

Again, speak Spanish or be serious about learning and this program is totally worth it.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
INMED is an international medicine institute which has lots of programs around the world and also work with schools to get the credits approval. It also take residents too. www.inmed.us

Hello,

Despite the price, I'm seriously looking into doing an international rotation with Child Family Health International. If anyone who has completed any of their programs would provide some feedback about the pros and cons, and whether it is worth the cost, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm looking into the Pediatric Health in La Paz, Bolivia and Reproductive Health or Andean Health in Quito, Ecuador. Any info. on those programs specifically would be lovely!

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Peace&Health :)

I participated in the CFHI Rural and Urban Himalayan Rotation in October 2010.

My work with CFHI began at a small clinic in the rural village of Patti where its housed ayurvedic physician, Dr. Paul, cares for the 200 local villagers of Patti and the surrounding area. Dr. Paul also conducts rural health camps on which he and his students hike to nine nearby villages in the Himalayan foothills. Many of these villages play host to the infirmed from each of their surrounding villages. In sum, this one CFHI clinic provides ongoing care for the peoples of an estimated 28 villages.

The capital of Uttarakhand province, Dehradun, stretching the Doon Valley just south of the Himalayan foothills, is a horrendously congested city that operates in a sort of controlled chaos. For two weeks, my cohort and I studied here in both private and government hospitals and clinics, including work in departments of cardiology, obstetrics, and ophthalmology.

In our final week, perched at 7000 feet above sea level, our group worked at the Landour Community Hospital, a charitable group that provides healthcare services to the community of Mussoorie and surrounding area. Tracing up the hillside along hairpin turns and ear-popping altitudes, Mussoorie rises above the Dehradun plain, and on a clear day, the chilly mountain town offers magnificent views of the white-capped Himalayan peaks just over the northern ridge. Apart from the families of monkeys wreaking havoc outside my bedroom window every morning, this proved to be most calming week of training.

Hi ! my name is Belu, im an argentinian medical student in the senior year of my MD degree.... im interested in applying for electives in Philadelphia, New York , Wilmington and New Jersey..... i´ve been serching for universities that accept international students... and sent lots of e-mails asking if i was able to apply to different institutions..... i didn´t have much luck though...... i´m sure i will go to U.S. around August 2012..... has anygone got a piece of advice or any reccomendation?? thanks for your time!

Hello! I am a russian medical student from Moscow and I am looking for a US medical student , who would like to take a part in international clinical exchange program with Russia.
Guys, you can check here:
http://www.amsa.org/AMSA/Homepage/EducationCareerDevelopment/InternationalExchanges/Clinical.aspx
I would like to get an exchange with the US, but because it is strictly bilateral, i am asking you, guys, if anyone interested in doing some clinical experience in Moscow? The exchange lasts for 4 weeks during summer.
there is some information about the clerkship:
http://www.ifmsa.net/public/ecscope.php?id=7